Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I am Iron Lung

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I am Iron Lung Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I am Iron Lung - 14/5/2013 1:41:52 PM   
AxlReznor

I don't get people complaining about the characters not being in costume enough for the movie. At the end of the day, the movies (all of them), despite their title are actually about their plain-clothes alter-ego's, because those real people under the suit tend to be what most people are interested in (especially the "comic book nerds"). They may be called Iron Man, but they are Tony Stark movies through and through.

I thought depriving Tony of the suit and forcing him to go into action without it was a great direction to go in after The Avengers. Especially with the jibes in that movie about him being nothing without the suit from Captain America. The best action scenes take place with Tony having to improvise (like the one in the Tennessee bar), and provide the ultimate answer to that suggestion... nope, he's actually just as awesome without the suit as he is with it.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 151
Loved Eiffel 65 - 15/5/2013 1:14:52 PM   
TPM007

I enjoyed this film a lot, but to save repeating stuff what a lot of people have said previously in this thread - I have to say, when I heard Eiffel 65 play over the Marvel logo, it was brave and inspired. Sets the mood of the film, and feels totally different than previous Marvel outings. And what was also a nice touch (which was left out of the Empire Spoilercast) was to have Yinsen pop up in the party. Nice homage to his role in the first film. End credits were brilliant too. So yeah, film was good, action top notch, great humour, etc...

Anyway, altogether now..."Yo listen up, here's a story, about a little guy that lives in a blue world..."

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 152
Iron Oxide - 16/5/2013 12:55:03 PM   
Major Gaper

Oh dear, what a disappointment! After the promise of the first and the fun of the second, this appeared to be a safe bet. It was anything but. The story...er what? Why? There was a major lack of focus on the nefarious element of this film. Who was he, why was he and what was his motivation, what was the full explanation behind his power and did we care about his ambitions? Frankly, it smacked of the hero turned nemesis story of the Incredibles, but without the character development nor the story-telling. Plot and character explanation were seriously overlooked for laughs and over the top moments. Contrary to the fireworks at the end, this film never caught fire nor did it invigorate the imagination... Along with The Dark Knight Rises, this is a massively underwhelming swansong of a franchise. One can only hope that the Avengers films continue to do Iron Man any justice. Rusty and corroded...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 153
RE: Iron Man 3 - 16/5/2013 2:10:40 PM   
geniusbabble

I agree with a few of the posts on here, but the film was one of the top films so far this year (I may need to update this later in the year). It didn't hit the gritty realism of the first Iron Man but after The Avengers Assemble it was never going to. It did however go beyond the 2nd instalment which was okay but way OTT for my liking (I know super hero). Unlike some I thought the fact Tony Stark is just him for a large part of the film brilliant it highlighted that he is the hero not just the suit and he can defeat enemies with his brains not just his high powered tech. It also hit with the human aspect of Stark and that he is a broken man at the beginning of the film however we didn't need the kid in the film, that was a pointless add in even though Starks way of interacting with the kid did get a few laughs from me. The story how ever had a lot to answer for, like the answer. What was the motivation on AIM? Apart from controlling terrorism but that seems a lame excuse to make super soldiers who only work for you and no one else but for no reason.
In all I give the film 3 stars, a high end 3, it was funny with good action and the best Iron Man final battle ever.

Working on my certain set of skills since 1982

Post #: 154
Iron Man or Bugs Bunny? - 18/5/2013 12:36:38 PM   
Normal Control

I loved Iron Man (only 3 stars from Empire, well done geniuses) which was lean, euphoric, and brilliant. This is one star better than part 2, but only coz part 2 was worth nil stars.
The movie's biggest crime? Being boring as fuck once you realised who the baddy daddy was gonna be. No brains (Stark's place isn't defensively tooled up to the teeth, including radar? Seriously?), no balls (they removed the tricky Mandarin issue with a complete cop-out), no nothing. The only character arc Tony Stark has developed over the two sequels is from Iron Man to Bugs Bunny, but with less realism. Waste of time and money.

Post #: 155
RE: Iron Man or Bugs Bunny? - 18/5/2013 11:46:22 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Really enjoyed this. Film of the year so far. Didn't care about the twist which I know annoyed quite a few people. Great fun and a nice send off if it is Downey's final solo film.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 156
RE: Loved it! - 26/5/2013 6:40:20 PM   
Scatcatcathy

Loved it too much better than the 2nd one,wasnt troubled about The Mandarin either. My husband wanted more J.A.R.V.I.S and mention of The Avengers.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 157
RE: Loved it! - 26/5/2013 7:27:15 PM   
bennyboy71

It's shit. Juvenile shit.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 158
RE: I am Iron Lung - 30/5/2013 2:34:38 PM   
Coyleone

I enjoyed this. It was fun, but not much more, just like most of the Marvel movies that get released. RDJ was fantastic, and for me gave his best performance as Tony Stark. Ben Kingsley was also a treat to watch, both in serious mode and campy mode. I actually found the twist to be highly entertaining and gave me my biggest laughs of the film.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 159
RE: I am Iron Lung - 31/5/2013 11:51:09 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

Finally caught this last night...

Jesus where to start...

I found it extremely disappointing to be honest. Firstly the pacing. Nothing happens for the best part of 30 minutes, I love when a movie takes its time introducing new characters and foreshadows the rest of the film but there needs to be at least some dramatic tension and narrative drive during it. The early scenes in 1999 when we first meet Tony were so lazy it became grating. Plus Stark is so brown it looked like RDJ had gone Tropic Thunder again.

Flash forward the Aldrich meeting Pepper with his proposal, she makes a comment about how they know each other years and he always asks her out.......When? This doesn't feel real at all, its shoehorned in to give Gwenny a moment to show herself as the new conscience of Stark enterprises.

The Stark PTSD was an interesting angle however PTSD in Marvel land is Tony making a few wise cracks and getting a little bothered. Again it doesn't feel real, at no point did I empthaisde with ethe suffering he might be going through and the constant reminders of it were awfu, again it felt forced "Ooh look he's having (yet another) PTSD attack were the dialogue is all jazzy"

The Mandarin at this point is one of the highlights of the movie, Shane Black's positioning of him as Bin Laden type figure even down to him walking around withthe sunglasses on was I thought inspired. By now I'm thinking "okay this has potential".

Rhodes gets a couple of good lines, the "It tested well with focus groups" was one of the geuinely funny lines in the film. And the idea, albeit unexplored, of hide in plain sight state sponsered murder was an interesting angle. Sending Iron Patriot of on a Dick Burton adventure to find the Mandarin is a nice allegory of the War on Terror.

By now the plot kicks in as someone has realised we are nearly 40 minutes in. We get the inital Extremis explosion, which was well done, and the attack on Malibu which was just lazy. Helicopters, really? Just flew along and blew the shit out of his house. Nobody can find the Mandarin but the choppas can take off fly to Malibu and blow the shit out of his house? Gwenny in suit was nicely done but more of that in a minute

Okay moving on...We are in butfuck, nowhere USA now. Tony meets a kid who is a boil in the bag genius. Some of the dialogue has some crackle, the car scene especially, but there is another oh so dull PTSD scene....The bar scene where Tony goes to investigate the case of dropped subplot. Some good rockem' sockem' action but overall a bit meh.

Tony goes into Marvels version of B&Q and turns into MacGwyer for 5 minutes and storms the Mandarins house. Gives rise to the best line of the movie here. Still not sure how I feelabout the Mandarin twist but actually enjoyed Kingsleys turn.

Flash forward to the big finale, lazy lazy lazy. Having made the decision to keep Tony out of the suit it was time for the big payback. It was all just meh. By teh time Rhodes says "Don't worry Mr President i'm coming" I wanted to rip my ears off.

At this point we learn that Extremis apparntly turns you into a fucking Ninja as well-sure why not-and there is no more mention of the Soldiers per se. Aldrich is such a vanilla bad guy its starts to me you wish the MAndarin was a double bluff. During the big tecchie smackdown Rhodes wants a suit tow hich Tony says they are only caliberated to him.........HANG ON! we just saw Gwenny in the suit an hour ago?!

Cue the drop and survival. Interesting, what if Gwenny's extremis exposure leads her to go down a dark path in the next Iron Man forcing Tony to choose in a Jean Grey type of way? Now that is something I would like to se.....NO WAIT Tony fixed her.

Clean Slate? Whatever.

The dialogue is devoid of much wit, the performance are ok, the direction was clearly overally influenced by Marvel. I get the feeling Black would have taken the movie off the runner in good way had he been allowed. It just all felt so tired.
2/5

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 160
RE: I am Iron Lung - 31/5/2013 1:56:47 PM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I don't get people complaining about the characters not being in costume enough for the movie. At the end of the day, the movies (all of them), despite their title are actually about their plain-clothes alter-ego's, because those real people under the suit tend to be what most people are interested in (especially the "comic book nerds"). They may be called Iron Man, but they are Tony Stark movies through and through.

I thought depriving Tony of the suit and forcing him to go into action without it was a great direction to go in after The Avengers. Especially with the jibes in that movie about him being nothing without the suit from Captain America. The best action scenes take place with Tony having to improvise (like the one in the Tennessee bar), and provide the ultimate answer to that suggestion... nope, he's actually just as awesome without the suit as he is with it.

Sorry Axl, as one of the afore mentioned comic-book nerds you refer to I can tell you I am more interested in Batman than Bruce Wayne. More interested about Superman than Clark Kent and more interested in Iron Man than Tony Stark. That's not too say I don't find the alter-ego's interesting, just that it IS actually all about the costumes (meant in a totally non Gok Wan way!) I mean, if the movie didn't have the suits you wouldn't have a movie at all - full stop! But, if you didn't have Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent you would still have an Iron Man/Batman/Superman movie - it would probably just be complete shit that's all! Not really sure what my point was there.........

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 161
Iron Man 3 - 8/6/2013 3:05:06 PM   
Conboy

http://filmfanboy.com/iron-man-3/

Its blockbuster season and Marvel studios are straight out of the gate. Iron Man 3 will make a fortune. Tony Stark is back trying to avoid the pitfalls of the third film in the franchise. Shane Black has been recruited to freshen up the franchise. Black one of the highest paid and best action screenwriters in the 80s (Lethal Weapon) and 90s (Last Boy Scout) largely delivers. His comic edge makes this an enjoyable outing that infrequently reaches the heights of the original but improves on the second film. He even gives henchmen one-liners. “Personally I hate working here they are so weird.”

The narrative initially takes us back to New Year’s Eve 1999 in which Tony encounters Aldrich Killian (Pearce) and Maya Hansen (Hall). A past life which will invariably come back to haunt him. Fast forward to the now and Tony having trouble with anxiety post the events of The Avengers in which he saved the world. Tony is now vulnerable. The emergence of a new enemy The Mandarin (Kingsley) positions the new film as more politically topical. The Mandarin resembles Osama Bin Laden and he is clearly an enemy to be feared. Black cleverly plays to the audience’s fear of Muslim terrorists and the war on terror propaganda.

But it becomes more personal for Stark who sees the battle against this new enemy as less about politics and more to do with “good old fashioned revenge.” The action set-pieces are impressive particularly the destruction of Starks mansion in the films first third and the amazing skydiving sequence. The second part of the film has Tony goes back to basics and attempts to give the film some heart at the sacrifice of wall to wall action. For an action blockbuster Black has framed a complex narrative that unveils a mystery and political conspiracy that is not fully revealed until the second hour. When finally revealed it’s a little loopy but by then we are far too committed to question.

Post #: 162
Scrap Heap Challenge - 16/6/2013 10:52:35 PM   
Jungle23

Multiple Iron Man suits + awful villain + a repeated way of escaping every situation + Disney = Disastrous product, (how's that for math "genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist")!

As I witnessed a painful attempt to increase sales in Iron Man plastic action figures, I found it incredibly difficult to marvel at the destruction I saw before me. AC/DC are dropped from the soundtrack killing the film's buzz, only to give way for Stark's iron maiden, Pepper Potts. A shame she made him throw out their record but as AC/DC wrote "Anything Goes", or at least in the world of Disney.

The film's twist frankly broke my spine, leading me to the conclusion that Disney perhaps just don't understand Mandarin. Other conclusions to be made are that since the AC, has been removed, DC, (makers of "Dark Knight") have secured superiority. If future Iron Man adventures are this poor, then I will have to keep my films non-ferrous.

On the bright side the kid was cute and Meryl Streep was excellent.

Post #: 163
RE: Iron Man 3 - 18/6/2013 8:01:50 PM   
bydabeachman

I enjoy Robert Downey Jr. but I felt this film was fun, goofy, and silly. The action was in all reality, weak. I felt it was a Tony Stark film and in my opinion the only good part of the film was Ben Kingsley's character. I loved what they did with him, I found it incredible and brilliant. But The ending I truly did not enjoy. I was expecting Extremis but got a watered down version of a two year olds interpretation of Extremis. I loved the six pack but Pepper, come on. I mean she is my favorite of all the Marvel girls but they went too far I feel. I want a superhero movie! This was not a superhero movie, it was fun and i loved the actors but I really want a bad ass iron man, I guess it is the Marvel treatment of the superheros where DC goes more real and darker. I want to see some dark marvel darnit!

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

Post #: 164
Bizarrely bad - 30/6/2013 7:28:34 PM   
Melon

But what is really puzzling is that Empire rates this bland burger of mediocrity the same as the infinitely better Man of Steel. Corruption ahoy?

Post #: 165
RE: Bizarrely bad - 1/7/2013 2:28:18 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Melon

But what is really puzzling is that Empire rates this bland burger of mediocrity the same as the infinitely better Man of Steel. Corruption ahoy?

I rate it higher than MoS yet haven't received a huge cheque. Could it be...that it's simply someone's opinion?

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Melon)
Post #: 166
RE: Bizarrely bad - 1/7/2013 2:42:36 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Melon

If that's puzzled you I suggest you do more puzzles.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Melon)
Post #: 167
RE: Bizarrely bad - 1/7/2013 2:49:20 PM   
Dannybohy

Watched it again at the weekend, good story, great fun, great CGi! much better than IM2 and easily the best Superhero movie so far this year hands down!. Although Kick-ass 2 is on the way!! but I guess that doesn't count

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 1/7/2013 2:50:17 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 168
Iron Man 3 (2013) - 15/7/2013 7:12:13 PM   
BJORNtheBLU

Before I start with all the negative, I must say that this film does have some good equalities to it. I mean the first forty minutes of this film, is highly enjoyable. They had great character build up, in particular for the new characters, the Mandarin and Aldrich Killian. There is also great character depth and screen time for Pepper Potts in this film as well. This film also looks brilliant. I mean the sound in the action set pieces was wonderful and a joy to watch, no doubt. But that, as we all know does not make a movie good.

Now to the negatives. And for me, there are quite a lot. To start off this film is far to comedic. Every scene there are jokes cracking off, which might seem all right barring in mind the character of Tony Stark but this happens in every scene and it becomes slowly tedious. Including the scenes without Tony Stark. It takes the element of 'funny dialogue' to a whole new level which results in a unfunny conclusion. This is where we can compare Iron Man 3 to the Avengers. The Avengers managed to incorporate humour at the right times and peril at other times. We brings me onto this. There is never a sense of peril or danger for any of the characters, even Tony Stark, one of my favourites characters on screen. This was a big let down for me, but not the biggest let down. Now the next part of this review is SPOILER FILLED. So stay away if you wish to see this film. If not, join me after a quick synopsis of Iron Man 3.

Marvel's "Iron Man 3" pits brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy's hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettle. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit or does the suit make the man?

Now for the spoilers. Up until this point in the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Apart from the humour of course. Well some of the humour anyway. Basically we are introduced to the villain 'The Mandarin' about twenty minutes into the movie. We see that he is immediately anti- American. We see him as a leader of an army of rebels, similar to the Taliban to attack America. He is like a figure to his people, like a teacher. And the way he is portrayed is very menacing and you feel real danger, when he is shown on screen. You begin to feel for Tony Stark because of the threat The Mandarin is going to bring o him. But later is turns out that he is just an actor playing the Mandarin for the prod casting on TV, when the real Mandarin is actually Guy Pearce's character. The twist is terrible in itself but what makes it even more terrible is the fact that the direction in which director Shane Black takes is so humorous and jokey and from this point on, I felt as if I didn't want to watch anymore of this movie. It completely took me out of the storyline.

So as I said it turns out that Ben Kingsley is playing this actor called Trevor who is payed by Pearce's character to be this evil leader 'The Mandarin' so the people of American see him as a threat. But the actor Trevor is this ridiculously silly British guy, that makes these corny jokes and is a bit of a old ladies man. It is completely absurd. And it destroyed the villainous character that the Mandarin had and replaced it with something stupid. This meant that you never felt for Tony Starks character because there was no sense of peril. It is not helped by all these Iron Man suits that Stark has, that are controlled by this controller he has attached to his head. So he is in the comfort of his home, controlling all these robots that are fighting who he wants. It makes you feel that Tony Stark doesn't have any skill anymore because anyone can control these suits because there is not skill to it. This takes away all the possible danger that Tony Stark had in all the previous films, when he had just the one suit and had to fight the enemies manually.

Well thats me thoughts on this film, a lot of ranting which I had to include but I have to give it a three stars/B- because it does impress me with the visuals and some of the jokes with Tony Stark. Robert Downey Jr is great as always and there are some great scenes in this film. Its just the over use of humour and bad plot twists that lets is down.

< Message edited by BJORNtheBLU -- 15/7/2013 7:15:01 PM >

Post #: 169
iron man 3 not great!! (spoiler alert) - 27/7/2013 1:42:17 PM   
Ciaran McDaid

the twist ruined the intire movie but great performances!!!

Post #: 170
Iron-Tacular - 14/9/2013 6:09:50 PM   
5*BourneFan2000

This Big Blockbuster Film Has A Huge Spectacle And Stunning Action Sequences

Post #: 171
- 14/9/2013 8:51:29 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

Four stars you must be joking - boring, overlong and far too reliant on CGI for its confusing finale. Not a patch on the Man of Steel, this was yet another mediocre Marvel money spinner much like the equally disappointing Wolverine.

Post #: 172
- 14/9/2013 8:51:30 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

Four stars you must be joking - boring, overlong and far too reliant on CGI for its confusing finale. Not a patch on the Man of Steel, this was yet another mediocre Marvel money spinner much like the equally disappointing Wolverine.

Post #: 173
"One thing you can't take away... I am Iron Man.&q... - 3/11/2013 11:42:13 AM   
movienut707

Although better than Tony Stark's previous solo outing, Iron Man 3 does have its flaws, and they are many. The narrative is uneven, the premise unconvincing and the villain, well, kind of lame. But what the hell, this is popcorn and, stale or not, everyone likes their popcorn.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 3/11/2013 11:55:01 AM >

Post #: 174
"Who's the hot mess now?" - 4/11/2013 6:33:40 PM   
Jericho117

Could have been great, but sadly Iron Man 3 turned out to be a BIG disappointment.

Post #: 175
RE: "Who's the hot mess now?" - 19/11/2013 7:56:21 AM   
jonson

Only got round to seeing this last night.
I'm not a comic book fan generally, I saw the first 2 IM films and was underwhelmed, but this was such fun.
Hilarious, entertaining, ridiculous, either I was in just the right mood or the film really is great, I don't know.
The Mandarin reveal (after the initial shock) was utterly hilarious, Kingsley was superb in it, really fun and an unexpected twist (for me)
Some of the action was spot on, the humour just about right (if the intention is to be funny, as RDJ tends to be, then it works perfectly IMO)
I could have done with knowing what the orange shit was when they started glowing (not enough explanation) but I wasn't that bothered, it was just fun.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Jericho117)
Post #: 176
RE: "Who's the hot mess now?" - 19/11/2013 1:15:55 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Only got round to seeing this last night.
I'm not a comic book fan generally, I saw the first 2 IM films and was underwhelmed, but this was such fun.
Hilarious, entertaining, ridiculous, either I was in just the right mood or the film really is great, I don't know.
The Mandarin reveal (after the initial shock) was utterly hilarious, Kingsley was superb in it, really fun and an unexpected twist (for me)
Some of the action was spot on, the humour just about right (if the intention is to be funny, as RDJ tends to be, then it works perfectly IMO)
I could have done with knowing what the orange shit was when they started glowing (not enough explanation) but I wasn't that bothered, it was just fun.

Yep, I enjoyed it as well. Fun, entertaining and with a nice little edge to it that reminded me of Black and RDJs previous in Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang (which is a marvellous film). The dialogue was great and random bad-guys with a hint of character and a thirst for living is something little seen these days....

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 177
Iron man.....more like generic superhero number 5 - 10/7/2014 12:39:46 PM   
silence1

This is a review of the 'amazing' film iron man 3.....please note the air quotes around 'amazing', its called sarcasm. This film took itself FAR to seriously, it was essentially a piece of cannon for Avengers 2....which will probably be a better film with a better script and a better...pretty much everything. Comedic quips that where used at the wrong times...and that twist tho.....it made me physically CRINGE, if this is how Marvel films set up their damn movies now?! as a joke? this disgusted me....it deserves a 2.....at its very best

Post #: 178
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I am Iron Lung Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI