Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

If everyone is an Iron Man, then noone is.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> If everyone is an Iron Man, then noone is. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If everyone is an Iron Man, then noone is. - 28/4/2013 1:09:24 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

Too many goddamed suits, too much deus ex machina. RDJ literally and figuratively phoning it in. The house attack and closing credits (highlight reel) were pretty good.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
- 28/4/2013 1:29:54 AM   
philshepp

Great action and very funny - the whole audience laughing on too many occasions to count... very refreshing to have a truly 'fun' superhero film when every other one seems so serious and dark.

Post #: 62
RE: If everyone is an Iron Man, then noone is. - 28/4/2013 9:05:03 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

Too many goddamed suits, too much deus ex machina. RDJ literally and figuratively phoning it in. The house attack and closing credits (highlight reel) were pretty good.

No... he wasn't. Because he was there on set. Not on a phone.

Now figuratively, maybe. But I personally thought him and the rest of the cast were uniformly excellent, the setpieces were excellent (especially the one with all the suits, with Tony jumping between them), and you know, the whole point was that there were "too many goddamned suits", and the script was excellent. But the plot was weird, and may need a second viewing. I understood the plot, and don't really know what so many people seem to be having trouble with when it comes to what it and Extremis are, but as I said last night, it was so out of left-field that I have no idea whether I actually liked it or not.

Just to be clear to all of the people who are claiming it's only "fanboys" who will be pissed off by the Mandarin twist, I've never read an Iron Man comic in my life... before the movies, my entire experience with Iron Man was an awful cartoon in the mid-90's, and that plot twist was infuriating even to me. It seemed like something that was intentionally put in there to piss people off, by taking this iconic villain, presenting him as a threat, and then pulling the rug from our feet.

Also... this movie ripped off at least three elements from a different Batman movie - specifically Batman Forever, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 28/4/2013 9:06:09 AM >

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 63
- 28/4/2013 11:47:25 AM   
freyar_88

Best one in the Iron Man series.

Post #: 64
Not what it says on the tin - 28/4/2013 1:56:20 PM   
Hillsman

Just watched Tony Stark 3 with guest appearances by Iron Man. What the fook was all that about?! The world at large MAY have been mis-sold about Al Qaeda and the Osama Bin Laden figurehead - to be honest, I don't really care about that. As a comic movie dan, I wanted Iron vs The Madarin and that is NOT what this movie delivers. At all.

Post #: 65
enjoyed it - 28/4/2013 3:40:24 PM   
bretty

But once again 3d shoe-horned into a film that didn't need it. I thought it tried to be more than a standard Superhero movie and got the balance just about right.

Post #: 66
The Stark Ultimatum - 28/4/2013 4:52:48 PM   
Cool Breeze

SPOILERS AHEAD...

Saw it a short while ago and im still in two minds over this one.

On one level it was decent fun and definetly an improvement on the rather poor IM2.Some great action sequences and fx ( The Air Force One rescue being a particular highlight ).However, the whole Mandarin plot twist was a real jump the shark moment and felt like the film had just slipped into a saturday night live sketch.My mouth was literally agape at how they took what was Starks greatest enemy in the comics and turned him into a joke.In terms of this films plot i suppose it worked and made some kind of sense but i dont think it sits right with me.Just try to imagine if they did this with The Joker in TDK and the fan outrage would have caused the whole internet to explode!

I also think there were too many damn Iron Man suits in this film and with Stark jumping between one and the next kinda takes away from the uniqueness of the character.And are we supposed to beleive Tony is some kind of champion free runner now? Some of the moves he pulls off without the suit during the climax would make Sebastian Foucan green with envy!

So yeah, this is going to take another viewing for me to really decide how much i really liked this film.Definetly entertaining, but as flawed as it is brilliant.

3 stars from me.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 28/4/2013 5:06:05 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 67
Great Mandarin twist, Spoilers ! - 28/4/2013 5:24:41 PM   
tombaker

I could write here about how much i enjoyed the funny moments and Robert Downey's wisecracking jokes, i could write about some great action-sequences that where beautifully executed. Or i could write about how dissapointing the 3D was, again, sorry 3d fans...
All this stuff i could write about, when i only really want to write about the Mandarin...
Big spoiler allert here, don't say i didn't warn you, the Mandarin is not the villian i expected him to be. He was much more than that !
After the first glimpses of this mysterious shadowly figure, you know that even the great sir Ben Kingsley is never gonna convince as the great supervillian that is promished to us..
Instead the writers have come up with a surprising and funny twist that seems to fit in very nicely with the rest of the movie's tone.
When the writers would have decided otherwise, we could have been treated to another hero/villian showdown like we have seen so many time before. Going man to man with the Mandarin probally wouldn't look so good on screen as on paper, and a magical ring is only convincing when it is carried around by a hobbit, i think the writer's might have realished that and maybe that's why they decided to throw in this funny and surprising twist. I enjoyed sir Kingsley's performance, showing both a dark and a funny side, and he might be my favorite villian so far of all the iron man movies.
That's all i wanted to write, i enjoyed this movie, i only wished it wasn't in 3D. Sorry again, 3D fans.

Post #: 68
RE: Great Mandarin twist, Spoilers ! - 28/4/2013 7:38:29 PM   
Vadersville

I think I need to see this again. I intially left the cinema very underwelmed but other people who saw it and loved it keep reminding me of parts I enjoyed e.g. Stark threating the two henchmen repeatedly whilst he waited for his armour to show up. That said the things that stick in my head are still the negatives. I think the twist was a bad move that harmed the film rather than be the "oh my god! So cool" twist moment I suspect they intended it to be. The almost countless number of suits just annoyed me as it seemed to really cheapen them and whilst we don't know how much time has passed since The Avengers, 42? Really? He got through 7 in three films and now its jumping to 42?And why are their heads so easy to pull off? The Extremis soldiers got veryold very quickly too. Each fight was just Tony getting his rase kicked as they kept melting the suits. The action was all very samey. People moaned about Iron Man 2, myself included, with its very short action sequences but at least that had several cool moments. My personal favourite being Tony suiting up into the suitcase armour. Here, he jumped from one armour to another got melted a bit, jumped into another, got melted some more, over and over again. It just bored me. Also why would the Mark 42 lose power and need to be recharged when its the chest piece that powers them? How he was suddenly able to have the shrapnel removed from his chest? And why did Guy pearce look like Jim carrey in Batman Forever? I half expected him to say "You were supposed to understand. I'll make you understand."

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 28/4/2013 7:39:51 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to tombaker)
Post #: 69
RE: Great Mandarin twist, Spoilers ! - 28/4/2013 8:14:44 PM   
ScottiE

I saw it today in 3D IMAX, you can tell that the 3 is simply retro fitted and did not add to the movie in any kind of way, I'd of prefur to see it film is just IMAX.

However apart from the 3d and I've never been a fan of 3d because is simpley does not work, I loved it, I would give it a strong 7 to 8. so very funny bits to this move ( loved the after credits sequance ) and this is a great closure to a great trilogy.

My son loved it, looks like its gonna be one of the better action movies this year.. Roll on Superman & Trek

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 70
Iron Man Three - 28/4/2013 9:15:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Yeah,, let's just change that title.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 71
RE: Iron Man 3 - 28/4/2013 10:01:09 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

RDJ literally and figuratively phoning it in.

So there's scenes where Downey couldn't be bothered turn up on set for and just recited his lines via phone? Interesting.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 28/4/2013 10:05:12 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 72
Missing the point - 29/4/2013 12:46:29 AM   
Andy_west89

Lets forget for a second what a cash cow the marvel cinematic universe is for a second and take a look at iron man 3 as a standalone film. On the whole yet again another triumph of film making and a true joy to watch, as we see iron man as tony stark for the first time In the franchises life span rather than tony stark as iron man. The New York " incident" has clearly hit tony harder than any villain he could come up against, and might I add some out of this world acting from RDJ to not just drag you into the story but to take you into Tony's mind. Right from the off we feel as though we are Stark's Shrink as he recounts his life's problems. (Fantastic nod to the post credit scene) right up to the end where we have been in the front row to the tony show as his life crumbles away beneath him ( not unlike his house for those who have watched the trailers).

But in my eyes this film has missed the point of its story arc and the worst iron man yet.
The film follows the extremis storyline, possibly the biggest storyline regarding iron man's evolution since tony stark built the MK1 in a cave.

For those who don't know, extremis is a formula created to re-write the blue print of human DNA which was modified and stolen by terrorists. The extremis formula was injected into Mallen, with the alterations of super speed super strength fire breath regeneration ability making him the most deadly foe iron man has faced. Whilst Mallen is on a spree of destruction tony stark has been "tinkering" with his armour to make it as powerful As he can, but when he comes face to face with Mallen he is too weak and too slow to fight effectively leading to iron man being beaten to within an inch of his life. As tony lie dying it comes to him that the reason he is not winning is that he can not think and act as fast as Mallen meaning that he is always on the back foot and facing his own humanity which humbles him and gives him the will to fight on he has a nano bot desi

Post #: 73
RE: Iron Man 3 - 29/4/2013 8:20:27 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

RDJ literally and figuratively phoning it in.

So there's scenes where Downey couldn't be bothered turn up on set for and just recited his lines via phone? Interesting.

Seriously... you need to check what sarcastic comments have already been made sometimes.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 74
Disappointing. - 29/4/2013 10:30:49 AM   
red_king1

*****SPOILERS***** What a disappointment. Ben Kingsly was criminally wasted and why he decided to channel Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is beyond me. As most of the MCU films have showed you can have a lot of quality humor in their films, but this was taking the p**s, an almost constant stream of very poor jokes, only a few actually funny. I found it hard to believe that this film was from the man who almost created the buddy cop dynamic. What happened to his suits?! they could take so much punishment in the other films................HE FOUGHT THOR!!!!!!
Even with this, there didn't seem to be any real threat to Tony and his "panic" attacks were totally unconvincing. I have been following the development of the MCU very closely as I have love the fact that all these characters I've loved for years have been coming to the big screen and IM3 had the cast, the director/writer to be amazing, perhaps I shouldn't have had such high expectations. I hope Thor & Cap 2 are a lot better.

Post #: 75
RE: Disappointing. - 29/4/2013 11:56:42 AM   
Dannybohy

Got the the big screen to this at the weekend!. Thoroughly enjoyed it , far superior to IM2. Yeh the plot was transparent from the get go but I don't care! sometimes its just nice to watch balls out superhero movie where I'm not fidgeting half way through or falling asleep with boredom!.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to red_king1)
Post #: 76
RE: Disappointing. - 29/4/2013 12:01:28 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: red_king1

*****SPOILERS***** What a disappointment. Ben Kingsly was criminally wasted and why he decided to channel Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is beyond me. As most of the MCU films have showed you can have a lot of quality humor in their films, but this was taking the p**s, an almost constant stream of very poor jokes, only a few actually funny. I found it hard to believe that this film was from the man who almost created the buddy cop dynamic. What happened to his suits?! they could take so much punishment in the other films................HE FOUGHT THOR!!!!!!
Even with this, there didn't seem to be any real threat to Tony and his "panic" attacks were totally unconvincing. I have been following the development of the MCU very closely as I have love the fact that all these characters I've loved for years have been coming to the big screen and IM3 had the cast, the director/writer to be amazing, perhaps I shouldn't have had such high expectations. I hope Thor & Cap 2 are a lot better.

Whilst metal can be very resistant against physical attacks (though, certainly exaggerated in Iron Man's case), one thing pretty much all of them (other than adamantium, which I'm pretty sure Stark wouldn't be able to manipulate to the point of creating a suit out of it, and would probably be too heavy to fly) are vulnerable to is heat. And the Extremis soldiers can generate heat of up to 3,000 degrees. I thought this was obvious, but there are so many people complaining about it that I thought I'd better bring it up...

(in reply to red_king1)
Post #: 77
RE: Disappointing. - 29/4/2013 12:16:17 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: red_king1

Whilst metal can be very resistant against physical attacks (though, certainly exaggerated in Iron Man's case), one thing pretty much all of them (other than adamantium, which I'm pretty sure Stark wouldn't be able to manipulate to the point of creating a suit out of it, and would probably be too heavy to fly) are vulnerable to is heat. And the Extremis soldiers can generate heat of up to 3,000 degrees. I thought this was obvious, but there are so many people complaining about it that I thought I'd better bring it up...

I'm presuming Fox own the rights to adamantium as well which means it's a no-go for Marvel.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 78
RE: Disappointing. - 29/4/2013 1:27:36 PM   
FoximusPrime

Excellent film. I think I preferred it to (The) Avengers (Assemble) although that could just be down to having seen it most recently - good action, drama and comedy, and it rounds off RDJ's Tony Stark arc nicely.

It also features what may be the greatest ending credits sequence I've seen in a film (i.e. the 70s action TV-style credits, not the post-credits stinger).

Spoilers, etc.

Not too sure what's confused people about the plot as it seemed pretty straightforward to me. I also don't get why people are querying:
a) 42 versions of the suit: Stark had locked himself away for a year, focussing almost solely on preventing any possible threat to Pepper, and
b) why it didn't map perfectly on to the Extremis comic storyline. I expected to see a nano-tech suit and was pleasantly surprised they didn't take (that) obvious route. I think the approach they took in adapting the source serviced the film well.

I also enjoyed the twist with The Mandarin. The Mandarin was still there, and still a threat, he just happened to be Killian, not Kingsley.

My only gripe is that the Extremis powers got a bit...boring by the end, possibly due to overkill by the largely anonymous hench-army. I think it could have done with Killian displaying more additional abilities to set himself apart from his goons, or at least use the one he had (fire-breathing) more usefully than scaring the shit out of Rhodes.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 79
Ah Well... - 29/4/2013 1:28:12 PM   
enamic5

Whilst I usually love Superhero and SciFi films, I always like a bit of an explanation with it. DNA-altering substance to make people heat up to 3000 degrees? OK, cool. Those people walking through flames and explosions, with their clothes resisting the heat... that's just lazy writing. cover them with charcoal later, that would be good. Also - how much time between the destruction of the house, and Tony staring into the ocean at the end? 3 years? 4 years? at least that's how overgrown the place looks all of a sudden.
I was a bit underwhelmed. Tony Stark is allowed to announce renvenge and murder on public TV. The removal of the shrapnel seems quite easy all of a sudden. he built I don't know how many suits and a large basement within a year or something...

One thing I missed was - after so many hints at New York and the destruction of his base. I was looking forward to seeing Tony head to NYC to pick up a new suit and kick ass... but that didn't happen.

It was a fun film, but too many things going on that made no sense (even within this universe).

Post #: 80
Ah Well... - 29/4/2013 1:28:15 PM   
enamic5

Whilst I usually love Superhero and SciFi films, I always like a bit of an explanation with it. DNA-altering substance to make people heat up to 3000 degrees? OK, cool. Those people walking through flames and explosions, with their clothes resisting the heat... that's just lazy writing. cover them with charcoal later, that would be good. Also - how much time between the destruction of the house, and Tony staring into the ocean at the end? 3 years? 4 years? at least that's how overgrown the place looks all of a sudden.
I was a bit underwhelmed. Tony Stark is allowed to announce renvenge and murder on public TV. The removal of the shrapnel seems quite easy all of a sudden. he built I don't know how many suits and a large basement within a year or something...

One thing I missed was - after so many hints at New York and the destruction of his base. I was looking forward to seeing Tony head to NYC to pick up a new suit and kick ass... but that didn't happen.

It was a fun film, but too many things going on that made no sense (even within this universe).

Post #: 81
RE: Ah Well... - 29/4/2013 1:55:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Saw it in Imax 3D yesterday and loved it. One of the best superhero movies ever IMO and better than all three Nolan batman movies put together

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to enamic5)
Post #: 82
Entertaining yet disappointing. - 29/4/2013 2:06:52 PM   
hamsterminator

As a quick synopsis of the previous two films, Tony Stark starts off in a powerful position, falls from grace, works his way up from the bottom then beats the bad guy using seemingly inferior battered tech.

I had hoped this film would be something fresh seeing the Mandarin in the trailers and knowing a bit of his back story. Alas, that wasn't the case.

This third outing is basically a combination of the previous two in terms of themes with some extra humour and one or two twists thrown in. Unfortunately they don't really lift the film out of mediocrity for me.

I also feel there were potentially great themes that were totally left abandoned. At an early point (not a major spoiler) tony has a nightmare and his suit which is remotely controlled by his conscience attacks pepper seeing her as a threat. It was chilling- really highlighting the danger of the technology. Then is was just... forgotten about. Total waste of an idea to me. Likewise with the choice of the mandarin as a villain- an opportunity to really push Iron man as the super hero he is, and was left quite empty.

I love Robert Downey Jr and the acting and effects are as excellent as ever. But Avengers for me remains Iron Man's most memorable outing.

Post #: 83
RE: Ah Well... - 29/4/2013 2:17:56 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Saw it in Imax 3D yesterday and loved it. One of the best superhero movies ever IMO and better than all three Nolan batman movies put together

Super agree! ;)

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 84
RE: Ah Well... - 29/4/2013 2:20:49 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: enamic5

Its all there in the movie RE the shrapnel removal!. He figured out the formula and reversed the effects on Pepperpig! and used the same technology to allow his body to withstand the shrapnel removal!. ;)

(in reply to enamic5)
Post #: 85
RE: - 29/4/2013 2:56:39 PM   
hamsterminator

Spoilers:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Here, he jumped from one armour to another got melted a bit, jumped into another, got melted some more, over and over again. It just bored me. Also why would the Mark 42 lose power and need to be recharged when its the chest piece that powers them? How he was suddenly able to have the shrapnel removed from his chest? And why did Guy pearce look like Jim carrey in Batman Forever? I half expected him to say "You were supposed to understand. I'll make you understand."

I totally agree.

At one point he tells the kid his chest piece provides power for the suit... then the suit seemingly doesn't have any power and needs to be charged? Ok, fair enough it is able to act on it's own so it makes sense it has it's own power source. But the whole power depleting thing in these films is overused and doesn't make an ounce of sense if the generator in his chest is what they say it is, i.e. a perpetual power generator.

The fact that the ironman suits that were fighting in the end were all hollow robots just made the fight pretty uninteresting. Who cares about robots? Also they have weapons (I thought) so why the hell are they all standing within reach of the extremis bad guys...? Shoot them? Perhaps that would have been boring, but then again so is constantly seeing suits burned and torn apart and limbs regenerating. The whole fight seemed very repetitive.

< Message edited by hamsterminator -- 29/4/2013 5:28:32 PM >

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 86
IRON MAN 3 - 29/4/2013 3:37:23 PM   
jcthefirst

And, title change.

Again.

Really, it's a surprise you'd rather not have spoiled.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to hamsterminator)
Post #: 87
RE: IRON MAN 3 - 29/4/2013 3:38:41 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

And, title change.

Again.

Really, it's a surprise you'd rather not have spoiled.

Don't you think it's the kind of thing where even if you know there's going to be a twist, there's no way you'll figure out what it's going to be?

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 88
RE: IRON MAN 3 - 29/4/2013 3:41:35 PM   
jcthefirst

True, but then you'd spend the whole movie knowing who the twist involves. Takes away from the 'whoa' factor, somewhat.

I assume anyway.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 89
RE: Ah Well... - 29/4/2013 4:17:46 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: enamic5

Its all there in the movie RE the shrapnel removal!. He figured out the formula and reversed the effects on Pepperpig! and used the same technology to allow his body to withstand the shrapnel removal!. ;)

I did not get that at all!! So did he inject himself with Extremis then?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> If everyone is an Iron Man, then noone is. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI