Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bernie - 22/4/2013 2:42:25 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Best Linklater in years - 22/4/2013 2:42:25 AM   
FoxDhoj

Saw this a few months ago as a friend managed to get the US blu-ray release - at the time I was shocked and angered that a film by an excellent director such as Linklater had not had UK distribution. This is hilarious, and genuinely a very clever film, as well as being a career-best performance from Jack Black - even better than his roles in Nacho Libre, High Fidelity, Be Kind Rewind, Linklater's previous film School of Rock, and even his cameo in Anchorman. It seems, the part was made for Black - except this character was a real, living human being. McConaughey again proves his excellent range as the hard-nose DA, and gives me further faith in his brilliance - the brilliance he has bottled up through years of type-casting and douchey characters has been thrown out of the window and now he seems to be the best male lead a film - he's certainly on the rise. Shirley McLaine is great too, playing a shrewd, cold witch of a woman to perfection. Linklater reminds us of his incredible talents, but I would argue he has never let us down with any single one of his projects - he must go down as one of his generations greatest American directors.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Excellent movie. - 22/4/2013 5:39:36 PM   
sagart

Again, I saw this last year and it made my Top 10 of the year. Fantastic performances and a wonderfully sharp, twisted and yet sensitive sense of humour. Highly recommended.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bernie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI