Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

First time to the Cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> First time to the Cinema Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First time to the Cinema - 19/4/2013 12:02:22 AM   
Jonty

Hi all,

I was just curious, at what age would everyone consider appropriate for a first visit to the cinema? I have a 3 year old son and I don't think I would take him for his first film for another year (at the very least) as I expect he would lose his concentration rather quickly. So when would you take your son/daughter for the first time?

Come to think of it, how old was everyone the first time they went to the cinema? I went at about 5. Went to see Bambi. Good move by my school....

http://notesfromasmalltaibach.blogspot.com
Post #: 1
RE: First time to the Cinema - 19/4/2013 12:06:51 AM   
elab49

I think it depends on the child. My niece/nephew were going at 3 but their parents already knew from things like The Singing Kettle that they'd happily sit for an hour or so and be absorbed by what was going on around them. Whereas some kids hit double figures and still aren't capable of doing that!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Jonty)
Post #: 2
RE: First time to the Cinema - 19/4/2013 12:26:43 AM   
Jonty

see, I think my son would be ok, just a long as they make a film that's a Thomas the Tank engine/Special agent Oso crossover and on the way they meet up with Dora.

I can hope!

http://notesfromasmalltaibach.blogspot.com

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: First time to the Cinema - 19/4/2013 11:41:40 PM   
rich

About 5 or 6 as far as I remember, they had posters for Coppola's Dracula and Death Becomes Her up and that arcade machine for Alien3 was in the lobby. Honestly have no idea what we went to see though, which is really weird. Possibly Aladdin? These other details are a more vivid memory for some reason.

The thread about "stop bringing your annoying children" is probably still around though, you'll love that one.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Jonty)
Post #: 4
RE: First time to the Cinema - 20/4/2013 1:15:13 AM   
homersimpson_esq

My son was 4 when I took him to see The Simpsons Movie.

It seemed an appropriate first film...

He was absolutely fine with it. But it depends on the child. I know many who would never sit still for that long, but the dark of the cinema helps the concentration.

Just make sure they use the toilet just before you go in...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: First time to the Cinema - 20/4/2013 8:05:44 AM   
Rebenectomy

My son and niece were both just over the two and a half years mark, seeing Arthur Christmas and Up respectively. They both flagged a little towards the end, needing to sit on my knee for the last twenty mins or so, but other than that were very well behaved and have great cinema manners since. A few helpful hints;

* Get there as late as possible, sitting around waiting for the show to start makes them irritable. I'd recommend taking your seats after the ads.
* Take them to a time appropriate screening. Nothing too late in the day as they'll tend to be tired and early screenings tend to be majority children and parents, who won't mind a little bit of chat, munching, getting up for the toilet etc.
*Make use of the booster seats and don't bother with 3D until the kids are much older (or never if they have ant sense). Even with children's glasses I find the novelty wears off very quickly into film.
* Take food with you and lots of it. I know some cinemas can be arsey at that, but many will turn a blind eye for kids so long as you're not bringing in hot food. I tend to bring sandwiches, grapes and some other bits and bobs, and still get a small popcorn from the kiosk to add to the experience.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 6
RE: First time to the Cinema - 20/4/2013 1:56:45 PM   
kumar

I think I was about 4 and saw the Tom & Jerry movie. I remember we originally wanted to see one of the Turtles movies but it was a PG and I was with older cousins, not parents. I was a little dissapointed, but hey, Tom and Motherfucking Jerry!!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 7
RE: First time to the Cinema - 20/4/2013 5:30:26 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

We took my nephew when he was 2 1/2 to see Wallace and Gromit: Wererabbit... I'd say 2 or 3 for first probably

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 8
RE: First time to the Cinema - 20/4/2013 7:23:56 PM   
Le Tenia

Age 3 should be fine, it depends if they will have the attention span to sit still for a 70/90 minute film.

I was 7 when I first went to the pictures. Star Wars as well. A perfect age for a perfect film..

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 9
RE: First time to the Cinema - 21/4/2013 8:13:18 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I don't see the issue. I think I was 4 years old when I saw my first film at the cinema and it must have been Toy Story 1, which I saw with my mum.

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 10
RE: First time to the Cinema - 21/4/2013 8:37:50 PM   
Mister Coe

I have no problem with little kiddies being in a cinema as long as their parents (or whoever brought them) have taught them how they should behave...

I still remember trying to watch one of the Harry Potter movies with someones 'adorable' little sprogs running up and down the aisles and stairs, screaming and shouting and utterly absent of parental control... oh, the temptation to trip one of them up and send them hurtling down the stairs on their pretty little head...

But I didn't because, you know, that would have been 'bad'...

Say what now?

(in reply to adamthehorrorfan)
Post #: 11
RE: First time to the Cinema - 21/4/2013 10:25:29 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I have no problem with little kiddies being in a cinema as long as their parents (or whoever brought them) have taught them how they should behave...

I still remember trying to watch one of the Harry Potter movies with someones 'adorable' little sprogs running up and down the aisles and stairs, screaming and shouting and utterly absent of parental control... oh, the temptation to trip one of them up and send them hurtling down the stairs on their pretty little head...

What time was the showing at? If it was a daytime weekend, or daytime during the holiday, then honestly, if you're seeing a children's film, you have to accept that children will be there. if you don't want that, go to a later showing or one when they're at school...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 12
RE: First time to the Cinema - 21/4/2013 10:44:27 PM   
adamthehorrorfan

That is why I'm always happy whenever I see an 18 rated film at the cinema, like this I'm sure that there will not be any children to distract me.

Post #: 13
RE: First time to the Cinema - 21/4/2013 11:23:47 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

What time was the showing at? If it was a daytime weekend, or daytime during the holiday, then honestly, if you're seeing a children's film, you have to accept that children will be there. if you don't want that, go to a later showing or one when they're at school...

It was at about 7pm.

Again, I have this odd idea that parents should tell their children how they should behave in any given situation... and if the kids aint up to it, then maybe they should see it at home on DVD?

Say what now?

Post #: 14
RE: First time to the Cinema - 22/4/2013 12:00:57 PM   
MattTheBadger

Took my little girl to see 'Toy Story 3' which would have made her 3 and she was absolutely fine. Getting her to stay in her seat is difficult but only in terms of her wanting to sit on my or her mum's knee rather than roaming the cinema, thankfully. In fact it was probably the perfect age because she was too young to really 'get' the more emotional aspects of the film's 3rd act (whereas both her parents were in tears!); now she won't watch her DVD copy because she finds it too sad, bless her.

Can't really remember what my first trip to the cinema was, although I have a memory of going to see 'Watership Down' which would have made me 4.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> First time to the Cinema Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI