Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Hollywood is all about Overkill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: New Hollywood is all about Overkill Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Hollywood is all about Overkill - 18/4/2013 5:09:21 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhyman

So this is what our decade has become?
The Hobbit turned into 3 movies, Marvel and all its many branches of superhero movies, and Disney taking a page out of Marvel's book and dreaming up an unlimited supply of Star Wars movies till the end of time!
This does make me worry a little, and though I'd be very much looking forward to a new trilogy by JJ Abrams, I'm not interested in all branched off characters with their own films, which is obviously just for the extra box office cash. I can't wait for Man of Steel, but not so up for a Justice League movie and their many possible superhero spin-offs. I could even do without another Batman movie for a good 15 years.

Disney owns Marvel, so they've got a proven record with this.

I'm hopeful simply based on the talent they've assembled for the next movie. That shows they're serious. They could have hired anyone to write and direct the new films and it'd have made a fortune, but they've chosen to do it properly.

The movie a year is a cause for concern if it's not done properly. Ideally they need to follow the same template that they've applied to the Marvel franchise. The main trilogy could be "The Avengers" type films where you see the ensemble cast and the standalones follow the pattern of the Iron Man, Thor & Cap type movies with they're own writers & directors, but overseen by a steady hand ensuring that they all come together.

If anyone needed any evidence that JJ Abrams can pull this off, they just need to see that latest Star Trek trailer. Awesome.

To be fair, Marvel's strategy was in place long before Disney took over their properties.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 31
RE: Less Is More - 18/4/2013 5:47:57 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

Darth Maul could definitely do with his own movie. He was criminally wasted in The Phantom Menace. I think Disney are going to follow the X-Men template, you had three X-Men movies and then offshoots like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: First Class. The Star Wars prequels did unnecessarily dilute what went before and you don't want that happening to a greater extent. I'd hate to feel bored when a new Star Wars movie opened. Less is more.

Yes Ė you should always be left wanting more. When you become tired of something through over exposure something has gone badly wrong. Itís sad that Star Wars has come to this. George Lucas took age old tales of heroes on quests, damsels in distress and dark lords and turned it into something that was fresh, exciting and above all imaginative. That sense of creativity is being forsaken for McDonalds style filmmaking. To be honest there is very little sense of originality in the majority of big budget movies at the moment. Come up with a franchise and churn our sequels to your heartís content. At least the main film has a quality director attached (JJ Abrams), but as anyone who has seen Lion King 2: Simbaís pride might realise the spin-offs are designed to piss all over the memory of the original films and characters.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 32
The Force - 18/4/2013 9:17:05 PM   
DicksterBarts

I think the whole Star Wars focus should be about the force and then in turn the Jedi and sith religion and ethos, training etc.

Knights of the Old Republic would be amazing, easily do a trilogy out of that. The pc games are amazing. It would delve into the force, take time to show how a Jedi really trains and build a light sabre.

The Darth Bane saga would be nice after that and even though there are two books that could easily make three films.

Forget the characters we know since its going to be hard please fans and get it right.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
RE: Less Is More - 20/4/2013 5:06:25 PM   
Mr Gittes

I'm actually more worried that they may be rushing episode 7. Notice how dead-set they are on 2015. How about actually making sure you've got a really good script, before going ahead and cornering yourself into a release date? That was the first mistake with Alien 3.

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 34
Mistake - 21/4/2013 3:39:18 AM   
Zimbo

Thats The Jimmy Kimmel show Ford is on, not Fallon..come on Empire

Post #: 35
'Nothing To See Here. Rubbish. Move Along.' *sweats* - 22/4/2013 12:27:10 AM   
Litshttam

I can quite happily sit through the Star Wars prequels (as I grew up with the originals I perhaps gravitate more towards them, however). I wonder whether their Hegelian dialectic / problem-reaction-solution throughline was their TRUE critical undoing...?

Post #: 36
Skeptical? just skip it. - 13/5/2013 1:17:30 PM   
pedrofandango

Why would Disney NOT do this? and who really cares if they do? If you love the original 3 and hate the prequels or vice-versa or whatever, then just don't go see the new movies. It's really just that simple. Why waste your time saying Disney this and corporate money-grabbing that? Disney and Lucasfilm will deliver good product and if you really don't want your 'childhood raped' (what does that even mean?) then just stay at home with your Beta-Max copies of the original trilogy.

Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: New Hollywood is all about Overkill Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI