Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Disney Plans New Star Wars Every Year

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Disney Plans New Star Wars Every Year Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disney Plans New Star Wars Every Year - 18/4/2013 12:20:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Disney has a history of over confidence.... - 18/4/2013 12:20:26 AM   
davidkclark

Remember all those god awful straight to DVD sequels they churned out? Now imagine that happening to Star Wars......

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
The question is...why? - 18/4/2013 1:20:36 AM   
The Watcher

Pray that the Chinese take over and bring an end to the corporate evil of Disney.

Post #: 3
Less Is More - 18/4/2013 7:34:26 AM   
BenTramer

Darth Maul could definitely do with his own movie. He was criminally wasted in The Phantom Menace. I think Disney are going to follow the X-Men template, you had three X-Men movies and then offshoots like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: First Class. The Star Wars prequels did unnecessarily dilute what went before and you don't want that happening to a greater extent. I'd hate to feel bored when a new Star Wars movie opened. Less is more.

Post #: 4
RE: The question is...why? - 18/4/2013 8:16:16 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Watcher

Pray that the Chinese take over and bring an end to the corporate evil of Disney.

I'd much rather Disney have control than Lucas. The last decent thing he was responsible for was Empire Strikes Back - and didn't write it or direct it. Disney have done a great job with the Marvel films and if they approach this franchise in the same way it's in good hands. So far we've nothing to complain about. They've got JJ Abrams directing, Michael Arndt writing and HAN SOLO IS IN IT. As long as they've got a large over arching plan for the standalone & trilogy films this could be great.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to The Watcher)
Post #: 5
Major Star Wars overkill - 18/4/2013 8:53:54 AM   
Goverch

In the (recently added for no apparent reason) words of Vader:

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Post #: 6
Standalone Han - 18/4/2013 9:13:58 AM   
echofalls

My only surprise is that this didn't happen years ago...Star Wars was always the franchise that could have been exploited more on the big screen than it was. And thereby hangs the regret...that Han Solo and Chewbacca film that will never get made that would surely have kicked all kinds of ass. And by that I mean Harrison Ford...of course.

Post #: 7
- 18/4/2013 9:18:16 AM   
chris wootton

I know some characters have been wasted, that doesn't mean I want a 2 hour movie about them.

Post #: 8
- 18/4/2013 9:50:27 AM   
Chronicle

I think this could work if they find qualified people.. Marvel did it so why couldn't mega-rich Disney do it

Post #: 9
what's the big hurry? - 18/4/2013 9:57:53 AM   
Dr Science

I can understand what the commercial rationale would be for this strategy - an annual event = guaranteed revenue. But I don't see a good creative rationale for this timetable - and that is what makes me nervous. Doing it well is much more important than doing it fast and often (tht's what my wife tells me anyway....)

Post #: 10
Quality - 18/4/2013 10:08:18 AM   
echofalls

The only thing I would say to the doubters is Star Wars is the very example that defies the quality over quantity rule...6 films in 36 years and I think there is some doubt over the quality of at least 3 of those. I'm all for a film that finally does justice to the original trilogy...all of us fans know that film is there and I hope JJ can deliver it.

Post #: 11
RE: Quality - 18/4/2013 10:15:26 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Feel a bit like the South Park kids did on the Indiana Jones episode.

(in reply to echofalls)
Post #: 12
This isn't LOTR - 18/4/2013 10:24:21 AM   
miawallace85

I can only assume that someone from Disney is focussed on replicating the yearly treat that was the LOTR trilogy - forgetting that the trilogy actually existed in literary form first and the same strategy shouldn't be applied to something that needs a fresh concep t/ story...

Post #: 13
This isn't LOTR - 18/4/2013 10:34:30 AM   
miawallace85

I can only assume that someone from Disney is focussed on replicating the yearly treat that was the LOTR trilogy - forgetting that the trilogy actually existed in literary form first and the same strategy shouldn't be applied to something that needs a fresh concep t/ story...

Post #: 14
New Trilogy Yes! New Films Constantly...No! - 18/4/2013 11:05:24 AM   
Andy1986

Well if they can make a decent trilogy again then I'm up for it with the three movies being released every few years, until the trilogy is over. However loads of new movies in between that is just too much, I fear now Disney have got their claws into Lucasfilm that they will cause bitter damage.

Post #: 15
RE: - 18/4/2013 11:52:26 AM   
ogbg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

I think this could work if they find qualified people.. Marvel did it so why couldn't mega-rich Disney do it

Disney already did it since they own Marvel.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 16
RE: Disney Plans New Star Wars Every Year - 18/4/2013 12:20:28 PM   
Okester

Hopefully they'll finally complete the "Ewok Trilogy". After the brilliant "Caravan of Courage" and the darker yet artistically superior "Battle for Endor" , they can finally put into production "Ewoks: The return of Wicket". With Hamill, Fisher and Ford locked in it's only a matter of time before they manage to entice Warwick Davis back to his signature role. A role only ever equalled in my humble opinion when he starred in "Leprechaun 4: In Space"! A role criminally overlooked by the Oscar comittee....

Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 18/4/2013 12:29:04 PM   
Chronicle

Well yeah, you're right.. :D So they would just have to use the same strategy then and find the right people for the job.

(in reply to ogbg)
Post #: 18
- 18/4/2013 12:29:09 PM   
astoroth

Hasn't disney ever heard of 'too much of a good thing'? Proof that they're a company no longer run by 'visionaries' and in stead run by corporate heads. I didn't mind the prequel universe, clone wars ecterea, but if disney has its way (which it will) they'll dilute the mythos of the whole series into a milky, tepid stew. If there's one company who knows how to dry out a franchise, it's disney.

Post #: 19
RE: Disney Plans New Star Wars Every Year - 18/4/2013 12:29:54 PM   
Dr Science

Please apply for a job at Disney - I love you and I want to have your Ewoks

(in reply to Okester)
Post #: 20
RE: Disney Plans New Star Wars Every Year - 18/4/2013 12:38:20 PM   
Discodez

Got to milk that cash cow for all it's worth considering the ridiculous amount of money they paid Mr Lucas for it.

Post #: 21
Star Wars Overload - 18/4/2013 1:02:52 PM   
fraser1978

I'm a big Star Wars fan as much as the next guy, but I fear a Star Wars Overload. Is there such a thing as having too much Star Wars? Too much of something wont make it as exciting!

Post #: 22
If Marvel can, why not Star Wars? - 18/4/2013 1:09:29 PM   
raquo

Marvel serves us one or sometimes two movies per year, and isn't that the same thing? As long as they're good I surely don't have a problem with it.

Post #: 23
Enough already!!! - 18/4/2013 1:34:17 PM   
kielerkai

There's no way this can work -- if you expect the movies to have a story and not being a mere SFX commercial like Bay's Transforminators.
Plus, it's A GOOD THING to wait three years for every new installment.

Post #: 24
Re: The question is...why? - 18/4/2013 1:57:49 PM   
Nicky C

Are you serious? Star Wars isn't high art, it's the original merchandising opportunity. Disney wouldn't have bought it unless there were billions to be made out of SW fans. There are losers out there who will buy a dog turd as long as it has a picture of Admiral Ackbar on it. Money is why ... the answer is always 'money.'

Post #: 25
Bring 'em on.. - 18/4/2013 2:33:58 PM   
fuzzydunl0p

Clone Wars cartoons were best thing SW since 83 and had some great stand alone eps.. shame they're stopping for now.

Post #: 26
WE NEED A MIRACLE - 18/4/2013 2:52:51 PM   
Gram Woods

Star wars is dead thanks to Lucas, it really will take a miracle to bring it back from it's cold, dark grave. Im not interested really after the last abominations, will watch it on dvd probably but Im not very hopeful that it will be any good

Post #: 27
New Hollywood is all about Overkill - 18/4/2013 3:15:02 PM   
tjhyman

So this is what our decade has become?
The Hobbit turned into 3 movies, Marvel and all its many branches of superhero movies, and Disney taking a page out of Marvel's book and dreaming up an unlimited supply of Star Wars movies till the end of time!
This does make me worry a little, and though I'd be very much looking forward to a new trilogy by JJ Abrams, I'm not interested in all branched off characters with their own films, which is obviously just for the extra box office cash. I can't wait for Man of Steel, but not so up for a Justice League movie and their many possible superhero spin-offs. I could even do without another Batman movie for a good 15 years.

Post #: 28
I'm in. - 18/4/2013 4:13:23 PM   
sowasred2012

Given how much they paid for it, was anyone expecting Disney to sit on their hands about this?

This news blows the doors open on what we can expect from Star Wars movies now - there'll be the main 'Episodes", with a stand alone in between each, and those stand alones might turn out to be the most interesting of the lot if they treat them as a creative playground for up and coming writers/directors with a passion for a particular character/era in the Star Wars universe.

Post #: 29
RE: New Hollywood is all about Overkill - 18/4/2013 4:48:29 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhyman

So this is what our decade has become?
The Hobbit turned into 3 movies, Marvel and all its many branches of superhero movies, and Disney taking a page out of Marvel's book and dreaming up an unlimited supply of Star Wars movies till the end of time!
This does make me worry a little, and though I'd be very much looking forward to a new trilogy by JJ Abrams, I'm not interested in all branched off characters with their own films, which is obviously just for the extra box office cash. I can't wait for Man of Steel, but not so up for a Justice League movie and their many possible superhero spin-offs. I could even do without another Batman movie for a good 15 years.

Disney owns Marvel, so they've got a proven record with this.

I'm hopeful simply based on the talent they've assembled for the next movie. That shows they're serious. They could have hired anyone to write and direct the new films and it'd have made a fortune, but they've chosen to do it properly.

The movie a year is a cause for concern if it's not done properly. Ideally they need to follow the same template that they've applied to the Marvel franchise. The main trilogy could be "The Avengers" type films where you see the ensemble cast and the standalones follow the pattern of the Iron Man, Thor & Cap type movies with they're own writers & directors, but overseen by a steady hand ensuring that they all come together.

If anyone needed any evidence that JJ Abrams can pull this off, they just need to see that latest Star Trek trailer. Awesome.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to tjhyman)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Disney Plans New Star Wars Every Year Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI