Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Place Beyond The Pines

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Place Beyond The Pines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Place Beyond The Pines - 15/4/2013 11:25:44 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Bored! - 15/4/2013 11:25:44 PM  1 votes
chubs

I find it hard to believe that I could say that a film starring both Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper could be boring but if it wasn't for my strict policy of not walking out of films I'd have happily skipped out of this at about 50 minutes in and not have had to endure the ploddingly paced, cliche ridden remaining 90 minutes or so - God, this was boring!! It looks really good and appropriately grim given the story but the third act really should have been a 5 minute epilogue about history repeating itself instead of another angst filled section. Little in way of redeeming characters or any you could actually care about - at best, 2*

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
so-so - 18/4/2013 10:33:50 PM  1 votes
tysmuse

I agree that the first 40 mins are decent - there's a nice dynamic to the Gosling/Mendes scenario, especially when you throw in her new fella. Cooper slowly becomes more interesting as his story progresses. But overall, it offers far too little surprises once the first act/movement ends.

Post #: 3
RE: so-so - 21/4/2013 12:08:48 PM   
Invader_Ace

The first section concentrating on Gosling's Handsome Luke is flawless. Really amazing film making, but the rest doesn't hold up.
I've only seen Gosling in Drive and while he was good, I hadn't fully bought into the buzz around him. I wasn't sure how much of it was him and how much was the work of other factors in the film, but after this I am totally sold.
The brief section in the church and the bank robberies are amazing and even apart from those you can't take your eyes off him.

The 2nd section feels rushed, it needed more time to breathe and Ray Liotta is basically a cartoon compared to everyone around him, but it's the 3rd section that really nosedives this film.
Unlikeable characters with unbelievable motivations paired with predictable movie scripting. I agree that this section could quite happily have been gutted and reduced to a coda.

3 Stars.

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 4
RE: so-so - 21/4/2013 7:59:54 PM   
Deviation

I hate all the above people who didn't unamously love this.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 5
RE: so-so - 23/4/2013 2:37:54 PM   
Filmfan 2

Enjoyable, but it could've done with some trimming tbh.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
The Place Beyond the pines - 24/4/2013 11:13:04 PM   
ruddick

One of the best films i have ever seen! loved the story, the idea and how amazingly deep it was. Flippin awesome acting, flippin mint directing and gosling was flippin great. Pretty long but i was willing to watch more. Deep, moving and tence. the place beyond the pines had me at the edge of my seat i never knew what was going to happen the whole time. loved it!

Best film in 2012 - Django unchained
Best film in 2013 - The Place beyond the Pines!

Post #: 7
bored rigid - 26/4/2013 8:50:47 PM   
HERMES_67

The pace is similar to watching paint dry. Its way to long with way way too little action to keep you interested. Probably one for the more sedate type. Avoid if possible.

Post #: 8
bored rigid - 26/4/2013 8:50:48 PM   
HERMES_67

The pace is similar to watching paint dry. Its way to long with way way too little action to keep you interested. Probably one for the more sedate type. Avoid if possible.

Post #: 9
Class act - 28/4/2013 9:17:55 AM   
Jack Ryan

This film should be any reviewers dream, a film that requires only one word to describe it. One simple word: Masterpiece.

Post #: 10
RE: The Place Beyond The Pines - 2/5/2013 8:18:46 PM   
R W

A couple of years ago, was the release of Derek Cianfrance’s second feature Blue Valentine which depicted a married couple, shifting back and forth in time between their courtship and the dissolution of their marriage several years later. The film was subtle and emotionally-wrenching, as well as initially gained a controversial NC-17 rating. Working once again with Ryan Gosling, their latest collaboration is an ambitious blend of subtlety and epicness.

After discovering his former lover (Eva Mendes) has had his baby, Luke Glanton (Gosling) quits his job as a motorcycle stuntman to stay in town and provide for his child. This leads Luke into robbing banks, a decision that puts him on a collision course with ambitious rookie cop Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper) navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.

Unlike the back-and-forth time structure of his last film, Cianfrance and his two co-writers tells a three-act crime drama, in which each of the three acts is its own story but as a whole, it has a narrative to rival The Godfather. The first 40 minutes is when the film is at its strongest, as it focuses at Luke’s attempt at raising a family despite the mother has moved on and him eventually becoming a bank robber. Playing a motorist who turns to crime sounds very similar to his extraordinary performance in Drive, Ryan Gosling isn’t repeating himself as he is perfectly-cast as the charismatic motorcyclist.

Following the relaxed drama of its initial act, the focus turns to Bradley Cooper (who has never been so serious before) as Avery Cross whose encounter with Luke changes his life, even the way he looks at his baby son. At this point, the story becomes more as a thriller with Avery faces the corruption of his police department. As we witness the consequences of both Luke and Avery, everything becomes full circle as we see what happens to their sons fifteen years later. Despite the strong performance by Chronicle’s Dane DeHaan as Luke’s son Jason, the story does feel contrived while the pace of the film can go fast and slow.

While the screenplay can fall into the realm of melodrama, Cianfrance’s direction is at time breath-taking as he brought a level of naturalism in the tree-filled environments, due to the stunning cinematography. On the technical aspect, there’s a lot of one-shot takes such as the astonishing chase sequences, but more noticeably the amazing opening shot which establishes Luke as he gets dressed, walks through the travelling circus and finally performing his motorcycle act.

Ambitious but melodramatic, epic but contrived, The Place Beyond the Pines may not be as emotionally heart-breaking as Blue Valentine, but it is a terrific crime drama about the unbreakable bond of fathers and sons.

Post #: 11
RE: bored rigid - 2/5/2013 10:00:45 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: HERMES_67

The pace is similar to watching paint dry.

I assume this is coming from experience then?

quote:

ORIGINAL: R W

A couple of years ago, was the release of Derek Cianfrance’s second feature Blue Valentine which depicted a married couple, shifting back and forth in time between their courtship and the dissolution of their marriage several years later. The film was subtle and emotionally-wrenching, as well as initially gained a controversial NC-17 rating. Working once again with Ryan Gosling, their latest collaboration is an ambitious blend of subtlety and epicness.

After discovering his former lover (Eva Mendes) has had his baby, Luke Glanton (Gosling) quits his job as a motorcycle stuntman to stay in town and provide for his child. This leads Luke into robbing banks, a decision that puts him on a collision course with ambitious rookie cop Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper) navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.

Unlike the back-and-forth time structure of his last film, Cianfrance and his two co-writers tells a three-act crime drama, in which each of the three acts is its own story but as a whole, it has a narrative to rival The Godfather. The first 40 minutes is when the film is at its strongest, as it focuses at Luke’s attempt at raising a family despite the mother has moved on and him eventually becoming a bank robber. Playing a motorist who turns to crime sounds very similar to his extraordinary performance in Drive, Ryan Gosling isn’t repeating himself as he is perfectly-cast as the charismatic motorcyclist.

Following the relaxed drama of its initial act, the focus turns to Bradley Cooper (who has never been so serious before) as Avery Cross whose encounter with Luke changes his life, even the way he looks at his baby son. At this point, the story becomes more as a thriller with Avery faces the corruption of his police department. As we witness the consequences of both Luke and Avery, everything becomes full circle as we see what happens to their sons fifteen years later. Despite the strong performance by Chronicle’s Dane DeHaan as Luke’s son Jason, the story does feel contrived while the pace of the film can go fast and slow.

While the screenplay can fall into the realm of melodrama, Cianfrance’s direction is at time breath-taking as he brought a level of naturalism in the tree-filled environments, due to the stunning cinematography. On the technical aspect, there’s a lot of one-shot takes such as the astonishing chase sequences, but more noticeably the amazing opening shot which establishes Luke as he gets dressed, walks through the travelling circus and finally performing his motorcycle act.

Ambitious but melodramatic, epic but contrived, The Place Beyond the Pines may not be as emotionally heart-breaking as Blue Valentine, but it is a terrific crime drama about the unbreakable bond of fathers and sons.

Yes it's a contrived drama, but that's precisely the point. I can understand if people personally take against it for that reason, but I feel it's a bit unfair to use that as criticism. You either go with it or you don't - and if you do, then I think the film itself is pretty special.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I hate all the above people who didn't unamously love this.

Testify!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to HERMES_67)
Post #: 12
RE: bored rigid - 5/5/2013 10:27:42 AM   
ElephantBoy

Like the directors prevouis Blue Valentine this took a fairly standard plot and turned it into something very edgy, surreal and powerful with a uique sense of location and atmosphere.

Once again TPBTP sees a autuer filmmaker at work, this is a very distincive and bold work. The camera becomes fixieted on Ryan Gosling's Luke character from the rivetting opening of him about to perform a motor cycle stunt. Like in Drive, the viewer can sense an energy and darkness to this simliar deadpan character from the start, yet once again Gosling makes it impossible to take your eyes off him, he gives another subtle, unnervy performance, with a understated charasma conveying so much out of so little. The use of music and naturalistic street sounds, and how it cuts into converstions only adds to tension in this opening half, the plot itself seemed pretty predictable, but I was so wrapped up in the characters and this strange world than it didn't matter. Once again like BV scenes felt very life like, taking their time and building at a natural pace, each frame beautifully shot, compelling performances by most throughout, and again this strange air to them.

The second half of the film was totally different for me becoming a more personal, issue film, as the themes of race, police coruption, male masiclity and a boy in need of a father figure all come up. In some ways Place Beyond the Pines was all the better for this, this section was again spearheaded by a credible lead performance with Bradly Cooper giving maybe his best turn to date as the conflicted cop under deep pressure. Cooper's turn is very grounded, making it hard to read his feelings and making his actions the more unpredictable. Ray Liota is also effective in a small role, but I would have liked to have seen a bigger part for Rose Byne as the Cooper's characters troubled wife, she always seems impressive and did well with the little she had here.

The key difference between this and BV is that was a very simple narrative idea which gained its real punch through the smaller details of the characters lives, how well balanced those characters were and the perfection of the two leads, this however is a more ambitious film from a narrative prospective, and in the final strand it proved a little too ambitious, the final section stratched credibilbity a bit too far and maybe felt like it was trying to tie a complex film up too neatly.

However TPBTP once again marks Cinfiance out as a major directing talent, his characters are flawed and compelling, his sense of mood and atmosphere unsettling and his visually scheme simply delightful, not to mention he knows how to get the best out of actors. Easily in my top five films of the year to date and will be revisting it many times.

8/10

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 13
A great film, hiding in a dull one... - 7/5/2013 12:15:23 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

There are excellent performances all round and some great set-pieces, but quite frankly I just didn't care enough to want to spend this amount of time around these characters. The lulls between the key story points were too frequent and lengthy to get me to really buy into it at all.

Oh, and that Metallica t-shirt that Gosling wears? I used to have that. I don't know where it ever ended up. It was far more washed out than the one in the film, so I don't think Ryan stole it from me, although I do like to think that he also bought it from HMV in Newcastle.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 14
The Place Beyond the Pines - 8/6/2013 3:14:58 PM   
Conboy

http://filmfanboy.com/the-place-beyond-the-pines/

Compelling, real and featuring great performances. Essentially a film about the choices we make and the impact that has on the people close to us. Where Blue Valentine Derek Cianfrance’s earlier film dissects a marriage in deadfall, Pines focuses on fathers and sons and the ties that bind from one generation to the next. Can you break from the cycle? A lot of handheld camera work, improvisation and jumpy editing propel the film. Cianfrance’s background in documentary filmmaking shines through. He has the eye of Malick combined with the performance edge of Lumet. His films are not predictable and are deeply personal journeys into the dark places we each inhabit. I challenge you to leave the cinema unaffected by this haunting experience.

Set in Schenectady New York the opening part focuses on the relationship between working class Luke (Gosling in brilliant mode) a stunt rider in a circus and Romina (Mendes) a waitress who had his child after a brief affair. After witnessing the christening of his child from a distance Luke decides to start robbing banks in a vein hope that this will provide material comfort for his child. “I’m his father I can give him stuff.” he says to the distraught Ramona This is the first in a series of bad life choices. He teams with a scruffy mechanic (Mendelsohn in sensational form) to carry out his plan. One of the films magic moments comes post the first robbery in which Gosling and Mendelsohn dance to Springsteen’s Dancing in the Dark a rare moment of awkward joy. Gosling and Mendes sizzle and their scenes together are raw. Mendes is the revelation in a career defining performance.

The second part focuses on Avery’s immersion in survivor guilt and an introduction to police corruption. A “too smart for his own good” guy driven by ambition his choices deliver career success, estrangement from his wife and a neglected son. “

Post #: 15
RE: The Place Beyond the Pines - 10/7/2013 10:22:48 AM   
V.E.N.O.M

Easily one of my favourite films this year.

The opening 2 minute shot of Luke walking through the fairground is just perfect; really shows the two sides of the place.

It was wearing slightly thin by the end of it, the ending was slightly laughable too, but overall still really, really enjoyed it.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

(in reply to Conboy)
Post #: 16
RE: The Place Beyond the Pines - 10/7/2013 6:08:04 PM   
Will Frey

One of the better films I've seen recently. I'll agree, the latter half of the film really tapers off into some questionable choices, but then it rounds up nicely for me in the end. Ryan Gosling is as good as he's ever been, and the relationships he carries throughout the movie are fantastic. Eva Mendez and Ben Mendhelsohn are amazing in my eyes, where as Bradley Cooper is quieter than usual. The plot was somewhat predictable at times, and Bradley Cooper's on-screen son is an absolute pest. Dan Dehaan was also good. Overall, 8 out of 10.

Will Frey

(in reply to V.E.N.O.M)
Post #: 17
The Place Beyond the Pines - 7/8/2013 4:27:12 AM   
nc_jj

The scope, cast and plot this story has made me believe, before it was released, that it was going to be the most amazing film I was going to see this year. The truth is that it was a good film, but not like I expected it to be. The first act is what makes it worth a watch. It's devastating and near-perfect. The second act was really good, although not as much as the first one. Unfortunately, by the time we get to the third act, the film dips because of its own ambitions, and completely derails from the epic crime drama it was supposed to be. Maybe I'm contradicting myself, but overall (excluding the epilogue) it's a complex, bravado film. Gosling and Mendes are superb and, for the 140-minute runtime, it doesn't stop being a wild ride.

Post #: 18
Great! - 28/8/2013 4:09:26 AM   
fightclubber954

I feel like cianfrance was watching the godfather a lot while writing this, or other movies of that style. The long arching story isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy that in movies, you'll love this.

Post #: 19
RE: Great! - 9/9/2013 1:24:58 PM   
Vitamin F

Good film with fine performances and an engaging story and structure, but as already mentioned that last act was unnecessarily drawn out and seemed to start labouring a point, so the film could easily have been trimmed by about 15 minutes.

Negative - Everyone is quite unlikeable in this (with the possible exception of the stepdad Kofi) so as it progressed further I found it tough to care what happens to anyone.
Positive - The raids scenes, acting and overall cinematography are pretty special.

(in reply to fightclubber954)
Post #: 20
RE: Great! - 11/10/2013 3:35:44 PM   
CriticNumberOne

I love this film.Any arguement that a film is too long is aesthetic nonsense.
Visual,visceral and superbly acted.
Gosling seems to get unwarranted criticism in every film he's in
Great soundtrack too.
What the bloody hell is wrong with people-it even has a twist for fans of twists.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 21
Just wish it was longer. - 11/12/2013 12:36:10 PM   
Nicky C

I didn't find any part of this movie uninteresting. I was grateful for the pace and the fact that it's really 3 movies in one. I think this would have made an outstanding TV event and I wish it could be 4 hour-long episodes, really. I can't see how wanting more is really a criticism. Plus, any show smart enough to hire Ben Mendelsohn has to be doing something right. I'll give you 100 Battleships for one Place... any day of the week.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Place Beyond The Pines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI