Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dredd Gets A Sequel After All

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dredd Gets A Sequel After All Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dredd Gets A Sequel After All - 15/4/2013 9:18:44 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
sad - 15/4/2013 9:18:44 AM   
steve9

You guys really got my hopes up with the title of this one. Have they fully said that there will be no film sequel?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
It boggles the mind... - 15/4/2013 11:12:20 AM   
kielerkai

...that such a great action movie has been completely ignored at the box office.

Post #: 3
More Dredd please!!!!!!! - 15/4/2013 12:33:44 PM   
ODForrest

Ach, I thought this was going to be good news can we have more Dredd please the film was really good, head and shoulders above "Judge Dredd" you know the one we all want to forget about.

Post #: 4
RE: Dredd Gets A Sequel After All - 15/4/2013 1:56:45 PM   
Dannybohy

glad they have seen sense!. The Raid is available in HD glory on netflix now! so its not all bad news ;)

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 5
Hypocritical - 15/4/2013 2:03:05 PM   
JOE SOAP

EMPIRE's lacklustre review of DREDD didn't help its chances in the UK, especially when they start it off by comapring it to the Raid. I suppose it's considered politicallly OK to give the shitty corporate stuff like the Star Wars prequels good reviews but not the indies.

The 'ironing', as they say, is delicious.

< Message edited by JOE SOAP -- 15/4/2013 2:56:40 PM >

Post #: 6
Re: Hypocritical - 15/4/2013 3:30:01 PM   
Nicky C

Incorrect. The UK was by far the strongest territory for Dredd. Nearly $7M taken according to Box Office Mojo, eclipsing second place which was Russia with just over $4M. I actually went to see it BECAUSE of Empire's review. I say F*CK THE THEATRES. Do a partly or fully crowd-funded sequel and release it on Netflix and disc at the same time. And how about an ANIMATED SEQUEL? That would kick ass!

Post #: 7
RE: Re: Hypocritical - 15/4/2013 3:31:43 PM   
directorscut

Epic trolling Empire.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 8
Dredd > Avengers - 15/4/2013 3:50:40 PM   
nybras

I enjoyed Dredd more than the avengers. I know it's comparing movies but it's also comparing comics/graphic novels and I was a Dredd fan long before the Hulk, Iron-Man and Thor. They should make Dredd sequel and straight to DVD/Netfucks or what ever it's called. Netflix is where movies go to die.

Post #: 9
RE: Hypocritical - 15/4/2013 5:07:37 PM   
Osric

Empire put it on the cover TWICE and reviewed it as a "good" film. That's hardly not supporting it. You couldn't review it without acknowledging the raid either. That was just a bad coincidence.

(in reply to JOE SOAP)
Post #: 10
RE: Re: Hypocritical - 15/4/2013 5:48:08 PM   
JOE SOAP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicky C

Incorrect. The UK was by far the strongest territory for Dredd. Nearly $7M taken according to Box Office Mojo, eclipsing second place which was Russia with just over $4M. I actually went to see it BECAUSE of Empire's review. I say F*CK THE THEATRES. Do a partly or fully crowd-funded sequel and release it on Netflix and disc at the same time. And how about an ANIMATED SEQUEL? That would kick ass!

Incorrect?

The US was by far the strongest territory, where it earned the most in both box-office ($13 million) and DVD/Blu-Ray sales ( $15-$20 million).

Unfortunately for the UK distributors, Entertainment Films, they spent $7 million buying the rights to distribute Dredd in the UK & Ireland* expecting a return of around $15-20 million. They didn't break-even on their investment at the box-office because cinemas take around 55%-60% of earnings so they ended up with around $3-$4 million from the UK & Ireland box-office - a loss of approx. $3 million from the $7 million originally invested. The resulting vanilla blu-ray release is a consequence of this loss. Hopefully the bluray/DVD sales will break-even for them.

DNA/IMGlobal are not animation studios and I doubt IMGlobal wish to spend anymore money on Dredd as a brand, unfortunately. DNA have all ready said a $50 million Kickstarter (10 X Veronica Mars films) is not plausible. It's also an enormous risk; it's fine for a mega-corporation like Warner Bros. to indulge in experiments like the low-budget Veronica Mars publicity campaign but for a small indie like DNA to do it could be possible suicide or likely fail to even get funded.

*During the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2010, the film attracted $30 million in worldwide pre-sales to distributors in 90% of theatrical markets.The sales included a $7 million deal with British distributor Entertainment Film Distributors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dredd

< Message edited by JOE SOAP -- 15/4/2013 6:11:12 PM >

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 11
RE: Hypocritical - 15/4/2013 5:53:09 PM   
JOE SOAP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osric
Empire put it on the cover TWICE and reviewed it as a "good" film. That's hardly not supporting it. You couldn't review it without acknowledging the raid either. That was just a bad coincidence.

I never said they didn't 'support' it, at least initially, I said they gave it a 'lacklustre' review and it's a bit hypocritical to then turn around and bemoan the lack of a sequel. Plenty of publications reviewed the film without referencing the Raid and when you do that in your opening salvo, it gives the impression that Dredd is a poorer version of that film and first impressions last. They could've just taken the film on its own terms like plenty of others.

< Message edited by JOE SOAP -- 15/4/2013 6:03:44 PM >

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 12
Shame - 15/4/2013 6:33:58 PM   
durelius

I though Dredd had great style and definitely had more scope to do another, I enjoyed it.

Post #: 13
3D Killed Dredd.. - 15/4/2013 8:34:47 PM   
Cool Breeze

The lack of regular 2D showings of Dredd put audiences off in my opinion.Distributors have to give the punters a choice when it comes to what version of the film they want to see.And putting '' 3D '' in the title made it sound like a straight to dvd sequel.

Post #: 14
RE: Re: Hypocritical - 15/4/2013 9:44:36 PM   
JonnyFave

Agreed, Joe! :)

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 15
RE: Dredd > Avengers - 16/4/2013 3:49:32 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: nybras

I enjoyed Dredd more than the avengers. I know it's comparing movies but it's also comparing comics/graphic novels and I was a Dredd fan long before the Hulk, Iron-Man and Thor. They should make Dredd sequel and straight to DVD/Netfucks or what ever it's called. Netflix is where movies go to die.

Yeh your right! The Godfather is clearly in its death throes in full HD glory over on Netflix! ..

(in reply to nybras)
Post #: 16
RE: Hypocritical - 16/4/2013 7:51:55 PM   
Osric

More disingenuous to ignore the elephant in the room I'd have thought, and more disingenuous to artificially bump up the score of a film that's a solid three stars and no more. It's good - it's not excellent or classic. They have to review honestly and objectively otherwise they'd have no credibility. In that Garland interview they link to he pretty much concedes that Dredd is only as good as they could manage with limited resources, and that he hopes they can go bigger and better in future films. That seems to be what Empire is saying both in their review and in this story about the sequel comic. I don't think they're being disingenuous or hypocritical at all.

< Message edited by Osric -- 16/4/2013 7:52:23 PM >

(in reply to JOE SOAP)
Post #: 17
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 17/4/2013 2:27:43 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

The lack of regular 2D showings of Dredd put audiences off in my opinion.Distributors have to give the punters a choice when it comes to what version of the film they want to see.And putting '' 3D '' in the title made it sound like a straight to dvd sequel.

I agree with this - as my left eye is a bit buggered from either a. when I was a student accidently poking my shed door key into it or b. masterbating too much (I'll give you a clue...its a...and possibly a little bit of b) watching 3D films gives me the most splitting head aches so I don't watch 'em.

My local cinema (an Odeon I should point out) had Dredd on some grave yard shift in the middle of the fucking night in 3D only; so I had to wait for the DVD to come out. It was worth the wait as it is frickin' awesome so gutted their won't be a sequel but I do think the lack of 2D showings hurt this more than any negative reviews could.

All that said; the way Hollywood is these days the film will probably be rebooted/reimagined next week with Micheal Bay producing starring Megan Fox's arse...at sunset...in slow motion...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 18
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 17/4/2013 2:35:41 PM   
Dannybohy

I think casting of Urban and his weak performance killed Dredd personally. Give it five years and we will have a nice reimagining and hopefully a decent and more expansive storyline.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 19
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 17/4/2013 3:00:07 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

I think casting of Urban and his weak performance killed Dredd personally. Give it five years and we will have a nice reimagining and hopefully a decent and more expansive storyline.

Hmm disagree with you there young man. I think the problem with Dredd is that he is a dour, one-note, one dimensional killing machine (forgive me if I am incorrect - haven't picked up a Dredd comic in a long time) with little to no back story so their is very little for a thesp to feed off. I thought Urban got his grunt, lines and chin spot on and was a definate highlight for me.

Who would you personally have cast in the role?

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 20
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 17/4/2013 3:25:00 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Hmm disagree with you there young man. I think the problem with Dredd is that he is a dour, one-note, one dimensional killing machine (forgive me if I am incorrect - haven't picked up a Dredd comic in a long time) with little to no back story so their is very little for a thesp to feed off. I thought Urban got his grunt, lines and chin spot on and was a definate highlight for me.

Who would you personally have cast in the role?

Maybe you're right then! and the character is the fault and wont ever translate to the screen without writing in backstory, motivations and more dialogue?. One could argue that Urban as an actor/thesp should of given something more to the character! in not doing so, essentially anyone could've played it just as well, and that being the case I would of chosen someone more physically impressive, Jason Momoa , the ever popular Tom hardy!. I am no great Dredd fan myself, I enjoyed it on dvd, it was just ok.The similarities with The Raid cannot be avoided and I simply enjoyed The Raid much more.

Post #: 21
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 17/4/2013 6:49:59 PM   
Osric

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

My local cinema (an Odeon I should point out) had Dredd on some grave yard shift in the middle of the fucking night

That's also a really good point. Dredd had basically no chance for decent box office anyway, because it only played for about a week, and in hardly any cinemas. I did manage to see it on a big screen, but I had to trek across the city to a cinema I never go to at a time I'd never normally go. I'm sure a vast number of people who'd have seen if it it'd been on a normal wide release just didn't make that sort of effort. But hey, it's Empire's fault for only giving it three stars and mentioning The Raid.

Post #: 22
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 18/4/2013 12:23:38 PM   
Nifty_Films

I thought that Dredd was very well done and under-appreciated.

< Message edited by Nifty_Films -- 18/4/2013 12:24:27 PM >

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 23
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 21/4/2013 9:39:18 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

Great Action flick and really enjoyed it a lot. I will keep my fingers crossed that the sequel will be on it's way very soon.

(in reply to Nifty_Films)
Post #: 24
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 21/4/2013 1:34:57 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamthehorrorfan

I will keep my fingers crossed that the sequel will be on it's way very soon.

Um... it's not. That's the whole problem

Meanwhile...

(in reply to adamthehorrorfan)
Post #: 25
RE: 3D Killed Dredd.. - 21/4/2013 4:16:51 PM   
buffster28

Damn got excited thinking it was a film sequel

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 26
Shame - 22/4/2013 10:53:08 AM   
danielthompson99

I'd have gone at least twice to see this at the cinema, with friends, if it wasn't in 3D.
3D doesn't work for me due to a wonky eye. I have been to a few 3D screenings (and no it doesn't seem to matter where I sit). I end up with a severe "ice cream" headache, so now do not bother.
I think studios need to learn from this, as a lot of people seem to be put off by 3D prices too.

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dredd Gets A Sequel After All Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI