Less Mainstream Crap

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Less Mainstream Crap Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Less Mainstream Crap - 15/4/2013 1:21:22 AM   
Joseph Hoseph

I understand full well that posting mainstream crap sells copies... I get that. But morons who see some superhero, or flipping Star Trek on the cover and want to buy it, aren't going to check the content inside. Thus, you can put a three page bit on whatever hollywood thing is flavor of the month, then fill the rest of the mag with interesting interviews, articles on forgotten genre's, on fantastic directors (Like the bit on Hitchcock). This way, I don't have to read what Flipping JJ Abrams mum has to say... (I don't know whether you interviewed her but it was a huge feature on a guy who has done barely anything). Empire needs to understand it is a movie magazine. I honestly can't trust your reviews anymore. You have certain links with movie people that you want to entertain, so you give them a nice little five star pat on the back and they discuss milk with you. EVERYONE WINS! Except people who aren't stupid, people who know that Avatar should never get five stars in a million years...
Post #: 1
RE: Less Mainstream Crap - 15/4/2013 1:59:24 AM   
MonsterCat

Wow, in no way do you sound like an elitist twat!

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Joseph Hoseph)
Post #: 2
RE: Less Mainstream Crap - 15/4/2013 11:13:47 AM   
AxlReznor

You could always just read Sight & Sound or other movie magazines aimed at the arthouse audience. Empire is, and has always been aimed mostly at mainstream viewers (though they do have great pieces on non-mainstream stuff from time to time), and they've never made any secret of it.

Also, what MC said.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 15/4/2013 11:14:12 AM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 3
RE: Less Mainstream Crap - 15/4/2013 7:36:03 PM   
Joseph Hoseph

I do read sight and sound.
And I know there are a lot of good features in empire. Maybe this is personal taste, but I wish that there were less preview features on films everyone knows will be nothing special. Looking back over covers, this past year we've seen Startrek, Superman, IronMan, X-Men origins, Captain America, Thor, there was even an issue with The Fast and the Furious, Battleship and Men in Black 3....
All I'm saying is Empire should encourage people to watch high quality, and unusual movies rather than indulging their bad habits of watching basic and bloated films.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 4
RE: Less Mainstream Crap - 16/4/2013 2:58:32 PM   
AxlReznor

Still sounding elitist. A lot of those films have a large fanbase, and for good reason (Star Trek, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor can count me among their fans). As always, opinions vary, but as I said before... they're a mainstream magazine. They'll focus on the films most likely to generate interest amongst the mainstream, and those kind of movies just happen to be what most people are interested in. If they don't find a film they've featured heavily satisfying once it's released, it's not like they're shy about admitting it.

Regardless of any of this, though, mainstream movies have just as much chance of being worth watching as the lesser known ones, and writing them off simply for being a blockbuster is just as stupid as the genuine idiots who say things like, "I don't watch anything with subtitles!"

Post #: 5
RE: Less Mainstream Crap - 16/4/2013 3:40:39 PM   
Joseph Hoseph

It could still be a bit more balanced.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 6
RE: Less Mainstream Crap - 17/4/2013 12:38:09 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseph Hoseph

It could still be a bit more balanced.

I stopped reading the magazine eons ago because... well, I thought it had become a bit rubbish and magazines are generally a waste of money anyway.

It's a populist magazine which mostly caters for people with populist tastes. Nowt wrong with either of those two things, but my tastes in films range from populist to slightly more leftfield stuff, and for me, Empire just weren't covering those bases equally.

So yeah, I can see where you're coming from on one level, but it's an approach to film journalism that's done them a lot of good in terms of selling copies and I don't see why they should stop now.

Populist doesn't necessarily equals stupid.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 17/4/2013 12:41:49 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 7
RE: Less Mainstream Crap - 17/4/2013 1:19:36 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseph Hoseph

I do read sight and sound.
And I know there are a lot of good features in empire. Maybe this is personal taste, but I wish that there were less preview features on films everyone knows will be nothing special. Looking back over covers, this past year we've seen Startrek, Superman, IronMan, X-Men origins, Captain America, Thor, there was even an issue with The Fast and the Furious, Battleship and Men in Black 3....
All I'm saying is Empire should encourage people to watch high quality, and unusual movies rather than indulging their bad habits of watching basic and bloated films.

Yet this clearly isn't what Empire's general MO is, and they're not misleading anyone as to the general audience they're aiming at. Even within that, they still cover older classics and have the Dungeon. But most people who decide that a magazine isn't for them would simply find a more palatable publication - not tell the original one to change to suit

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Less Mainstream Crap Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI