Sunset Song

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Sunset Song Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sunset Song - 13/4/2013 4:42:21 AM   
boaby

So, I just finish re-reading Sunset Song - yet again - and I nip onto t'internet to see if the 1971 BBC Scotland TV mini-series is knocking about, only to find that there's a film in the offing/in production/awaiting release.

Sunset Song was voted Scotland's favourite Scottish novel in 2005. Nae a work by Stevenson, Scott, McIlvanney, Banks, Rankin, Welsh and what have you. Lewis Grassic Gibbon's ode to the land of the Mearns - enduring through human travails, WWI and mechanisation of agriculture.

Terrence Davies labour of love apparently. Good. Can't be having somebody with no clue making it.

Agyness Deyn in the lead role of Chris Guthrie. An English woman trying to pull off an Aberdeenshire accent... erm, aye, well, might work. Plus, she's about 30. Chris goes from schoolgirl to mid-20s in the book. Supermodel turned actress... eek.

Least they've got Peter Mullan - a Peterheid loon - to play John Guthrie, the dark tempered father of Chris.

Sod all I can find on Empire's site since middle of last year.

Anyone know anything about it?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."
Post #: 1
RE: Sunset Song - 17/4/2013 2:14:03 PM   
boaby

Right.

Apparently, according to t'internet, the plan was to show it at Cannes this year. Unlike the Grolsch it's not ready yet. Saw a French blog hint at Venice.

Kevin Guthrie appears to be Ewan Tavendale. Chris Guthrie's highlander husband played by an actor called Guthrie. Weird.

Stuart Martin to be Long Rob Duncan of the Mill. Athiest, pacifist, horse-whisperer. The sardonic wit of Kinraddie. Supposed to be tall and have such a 'tache as to resemble a Viking. Martin was in the Black Watch play and according to IMDB he had the role of "messenger" in Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. No idea whether he's tall or not.

Anyone know anything?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2
RE: Sunset Song - 18/4/2013 2:28:10 PM   
primebhoy

This brings back memories of sitting reading the book in higher English. It felt like the book would never end. It was a good story right enough, and I'd probably watch a big screen production (when it comes out on dvd).

If memory serves right there are quite a few 'darker' scenes in this, which im not sure would fit into a 12A type film!

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 3
RE: Sunset Song - 18/4/2013 2:47:26 PM   
elab49

I wouldn't be surprise if it didn't go to schedule. Davies is one of my favourite directors, but he doesn't exactly rattle out the old films.

But my heart broke over this when they cast that ridiculous lead - a woman whose sole talent appears to be setting a style appropriated from Clive Owen in Croupier. Did they not see Pusher?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 4
RE: Sunset Song - 19/4/2013 12:49:46 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: primebhoy

If memory serves right there are quite a few 'darker' scenes in this, which im not sure would fit into a 12A type film!

Aye. "Darker" is a fair enough euphemism I s'pose.

Also, the 1971 TV series was the first on the beeb - in Scotland at least - to feature a nude scene.

I agree too with elab49 regarding the casting of Chris. The man Davies seems to have an affection for the book so I can only hope he knows what he's doing. Apparently she did well in some stage play or other.

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Sunset Song Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI