Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Good.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Good. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Good. - 25/4/2013 5:26:28 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

Supremely derivative stuff, but I have to say that I actually really quite enjoyed it.

Glad to hear so dude. It has the makings of a guilty pleasure for sure.

If you haven't seen it, wait until you get to the final part of the movie. It borrows so heavily from one particular sci-fi movie that it took my breath away.

Yes it is more or less exactly the same. Although in fairness that type of heroic sacrifice had been done before. But I guess not in a starship.

I was also struck by how similar the scene in which Morgan Freeman explains the 'real world' to Cruise was to Morpheus' version in The Matrix. Freeman even had a leather jacket and round lensed sunglasses.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 91
RE: Oblivion - Review - 26/4/2013 6:45:41 AM   
rassen

disappointed about this movie.
old fashion story , predictable but boring :(

Movie quotes

(in reply to JRutherford)
Post #: 92
RE: Cruise's 'Oblivion' delivers...just! - 26/4/2013 2:21:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: earlquacker

This was a good film.
The man who plays the lead (Tom Jones) is very real. If he isn't really an Astronought then he is a really great actor. The sets are A MA ZING. I don't know if they filmed this on Mars or Pluto but it looks somewhere like that. How do they breathe while shooting? I guess thats why these films cost so much..
The film was far two short, I watched it for 25 minutes and then had to go to the bogs, I wasn't that long but by the time I had queued for some ice cream and got back the film just did not make sense and then just ended 10 minutes later. So 1 less star for continuity !
I also have to mark this film down because of the parking at the cinema which made me late. All in all I had a good time with this film, I would like to go again but would prefer to go with another person next time, everyone seems busy when I ask them though...

Yeah i thought the bit where he defeated the aliens by singing '' Its Not Unusual '' was the best part of the film !

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to earlquacker)
Post #: 93
Almost great! - 28/4/2013 9:37:44 AM   
Jack Ryan

First the negatives: 1) A ridiculously muddled ending missing three better opportunities to finisih on a high. 2) a massively under-used Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and a mis-cast Morgan Freeman and 3) Character development is somewhat lost on the director. Fortunately none of this distracts enough to spoil a wonderful piece of Sci-fi. If Kosinski can't Develop characters he sure can score a film, emotion pouring out of every electo synthesised beat. Cruise is as reliable as ever in the lead role, but the biggest plus is the story. So simple but brilliant. Why didn't I think of that!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 94
There is nothing to really hate, yet nothing to really ... - 1/5/2013 10:41:51 PM   
irving1994

Oblivion spends time trying to tell a story that turns out to not matter as greatly as first perceived. Honestly, it's Tom Cruise's films from start to finish, leaving Morgan Freeman and his 'Rebels' hidden away for most of the film, very much a grave error. There could have been more exploration that would have gave the film the love it really should have deserved. In the department of Special Effects I was astounded by the pretty looks that the film delivers, making wastelands look almost picturesque, something you don't usually find in films with apocalyptic themes. Oblivion slows the pace down during sectionsbefore injecting adrenaline to speed into the action. Both areas play well but the slow scenes last too long and drag out time that could have been used for other character's development, and the adrenaline fueled action and generally exciting moments are spoiled by being too fast, too similar and too brief in number. admittedly the twist works well, and is unexpected yet it leaves more questions than answers regards the other repairmen, and what they do after the climactic ending. Oblivion works well with stunning set pieces, but the pace doesn't work well, characters could have been delved further into and the ending leaves more questions that the opening synopsis (and that's saying something).

Post #: 95
Cinema for the big screen - 7/5/2013 2:36:58 PM   
Normal Control

It's actually really good.

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to irving1994)
Post #: 96
Oblivion - 8/6/2013 3:12:01 PM   
Conboy

http://filmfanboy.com/oblivion/

What strikes you initially about Oblivion are the locations much of it was filmed in Iceland. But it’s difficult to distinguish Iceland from the CGI effects. What Kosinski his production designer Darren Gilford and Shot by Claudio Miranda of Life of Pi, have recreated is stunning. Visually the film is worth the price of admission; it’s a tour de force of location and CGI. The film has Tom Cruise a fine actor whose attachment to the film allows it to be both daring at times, (visually) and highly conventional as well. The dichotomy of Hollywood star conventions mixed with a sci-fi thought piece prevents the film from being truly memorable. But the visual world created here is state of the art.

Cruise plays Jack a drone repair man finishing a stint on planet earth almost destroyed by an alien force. The rest of the human race has been re-located to a moon of Saturn. He has two weeks to go and is supported by his partner Victoria (Riseborough). They live in an architect’s dream home high in the sky. She comments “Every day you have to go down there and see what we’ve lost.” But something is not quite right telegraphed by the almost robotic lives these two are leading and having Melissa Leo in the Titan control room. She sounds like a female version of HAL from 2001 A Space Odyssey. Cruise gets his shirt off again here revealing the physique of a man half his age. I’m sure they insert shower scenes to appeal to the voyeuristic viewer of both sexes. Riseborough an actress on the rise gives a nicely modulated performance, when a tear trickles down her cheek it’s a powerful moment.

Jack keeps on having dreams involving Julie (Kurylenko); they involve the Empire State Building before it was destroyed and the two looking longingly into each-other’s eyes. But Jack keeps on protecting earth against the aliens until he discovers Julie has been in “delta&

Post #: 97
crap - 5/8/2013 10:34:00 AM   
chris wootton

So, he jettisoned the back of the spacecraft which had the flight recorder in it.. and yet the flight recorder recorded what happened afterwards?

Post #: 98
- 14/8/2013 11:48:12 PM   
Magnet

I wonder if I saw the same film, because I thought this was one of the best films in the last few years I have watched.

Post #: 99
RE: Oblivion - 23/8/2013 4:28:17 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Thanks to your 3 Star rating (and less than awesome reviews) I watched Oblivion with low expectations and consequently enjoyed it immensely; happily munching away through 1000's of calories worth of naughty movie nibbles. Atmospheric, good effects, just the right level of creepy and just when I thought I'd predicted all the twists another one would pop up and slap me in the food covered chops. It is "Good" and I'd recommend watching on Pay Per View.

Post #: 100
RE: Oblivion - 24/8/2013 3:15:58 PM   
rich

Grey, bland and uninvolving, a waste of good art design and somehow even more lifeless than Tron Legacy. Squandered the material through poor story telling and dead performances.

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 101
RE: Oblivion - 24/8/2013 9:22:13 PM   
UTB

quote:

Supremely derivative stuff, but I have to say that I actually really quite enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly. Great score, great design and some brilliant action sequences.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 102
The most satisfying and uplifting ending since IT'S A W... - 24/8/2013 10:20:13 PM   
directorscut

SPOILERS: Melissa Leo getting blown up by a nuke.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 103
RE: Oblivion - 22/9/2013 2:58:02 PM   
jackcarter

finally saw it and i have to say im very disappointed......that i didnt see it at the cinema!!

wow what a great movie. i take back my 1st comment (should never judge b4 seeing it yourself)

solid **** stars for me.

Post #: 104
- 23/10/2013 10:30:25 AM   
fowler100

very very boring

Post #: 105
CRUISE CONTROL...... - 1/11/2013 4:50:24 PM   
ROTGUT

This is worth watching....but loses a star due to a COMPLETE lack of originality.
Gorgeous looking SFX and much better than Tron Legacy - but fundamentally - it's just a case of spot the movie references....Matrix Revolutions, Total Recall, Moon, Independence Day etc, etc......THREE STARS

Post #: 106
Wide Canvas - 22/11/2013 11:55:27 AM   
Staffordshire

This is a wide canvas story just as Antony And Cleopatra is a Shakespearean wide canvas. It is also a love story as well. This film is best appreciated by switching on the subtitles and making the effort to learn the background information before switching off the subtitles and watching again. I enjoyed this but then again I am not fanatical about movies. Good effort.

Post #: 107
Better ending than 2001: A Spce Odyssey - 27/11/2013 3:27:15 PM   
Staffordshire

Oblivion is a wide canvas story just as Antony And Cleopatra is a Shakespearean wide canvas. It is also a love story as well (with a different ending to A&C thankfully). The Oblivion narrative is superior to 2001: A Space Odyssey. This film is best appreciated by switching on the DVD subtitles and making the effort to learn the background information before switching off the subtitles and watching again. Do not miss the opening credits. Do not miss the end credits (for the terrific rock soundtrack. I thoroughly enjoyed this but then again I am not an expert about movies. Great effort.

Post #: 108
RE: Oblivion - Review - 2/2/2014 8:57:09 PM   
BecauseImBatman

Oblivion borrowed (stole?) so many material from other movies, it was not funny anymore.

SPOILERS AHEAD

People are lied about leaving their area is dangerous, and are promised to go to a better place (the TET)?
>that's the Island
A guy working (almost) alone to maintain a station finds out he has clones ready to replace him if he goes rogue, with his employers ready to kill him for that?
>that's Moon
Our hero is afflicted by strange dreams/visions of a place/time he's not supposed to have been in?
>that's Total Recall
Destroying the alien base?
>all the scene looks like Independance Day

etc...

I am vengeance, I am the night, I...am...BATMAN!!

(in reply to JRutherford)
Post #: 109
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Good. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI