Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? - 11/4/2013 4:18:43 PM   
robintetley

All Tom Cruise characters are the same? Hmmm. Like his characters in Born On The 4th Of July, The Colour Of Money, Magnolia, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky. I could go on. You're just thinking of the not so great Cruise films. Oblivion is crap by the way and one of the worst films I've ever seen.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? - 11/4/2013 4:36:43 PM   
robintetley

All Tom Cruise characters are the same? Hmmm. Like his characters in Born On The 4th Of July, The Colour Of Money, Magnolia, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky. I could go on. You're just thinking of the not so great Cruise films. Oblivion is crap by the way and one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Post #: 32
Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? - 11/4/2013 4:37:27 PM   
robintetley

Post #: 33
??? - 11/4/2013 4:49:51 PM   
robintetley

Apologies this is my first post and it appears as though I'm posting this multiple times. Which I am not. Any help would be greatly appreciated as every time I refresh this page I see my last post again. And again. And again. I hope all of you cannot.

Post #: 34
??? - 11/4/2013 4:49:53 PM   
robintetley

Apologies this is my first post and it appears as though I'm posting this multiple times. Which I am not. Any help would be greatly appreciated as every time I refresh this page I see my last post again. And again. And again. I hope all of you cannot.

Post #: 35
??? - 11/4/2013 4:50:08 PM   
robintetley

Post #: 36
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 8:54:40 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Let me guess, something/some one is endangering the Earth, Tom Cruise is the only man who can save the day, Tom Cruise obviously never dies, Tom Cruise saves the day and the Earth, end credits.
Does every Cruise film poster need his mug on the front? aren't all Cruise films the same? super invincible Tom Cruise

You won't get far as a professional film reviewer with that kind of attitude. Although it's not as if you were any good in the first place.

That's a really harsh thing to say, and there are worse reviewers around, including professional.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 11/4/2013 8:56:19 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 37
Enjoyed it - 11/4/2013 9:19:44 PM   
bretty

Read the slightly underwhelming reviews but actually enjoyed it. It does miss out on a big reveal or clever ideas, but it delivers a nice looking SF film with some interesting, if not outstanding, ideas. Quite good fun even if it will never become a SF classic.

Post #: 38
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 10:19:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

Let me guess, something/some one is endangering the Earth, Tom Cruise is the only man who can save the day, Tom Cruise obviously never dies, Tom Cruise saves the day and the Earth, end credits.
Does every Cruise film poster need his mug on the front? aren't all Cruise films the same? super invincible Tom Cruise

You won't get far as a professional film reviewer with that kind of attitude. Although it's not as if you were any good in the first place.

That's a really harsh thing to say, and there are worse reviewers around, including professional.

Yep,its harsh and frankly uncalled for.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 39
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 10:43:42 PM   
MonsterCat

Yeah, I'm a harsh, unconscionable and sometimes really unpleasant cunt but the scorn directed at him isn't entirely undeserved.

I'm only ever rude about someone when that someone actually deserves it, so sue me.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/4/2013 10:54:02 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 40
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 10:51:36 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

Yep,its harsh and frankly uncalled for.

He deserves it for many reasons.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 41
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 10:56:54 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Such as?
Thats an honest question by the way.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 11/4/2013 10:59:16 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 42
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 11:00:40 PM   
Deviation

An array of dumb reviews (though some of them are nice reads) and opinions (these aren't).

And racism.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 11/4/2013 11:01:12 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 43
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 11:04:44 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

An array of dumb reviews (though some of them are nice reads) and opinions (these aren't).

And racism.

racism?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 44
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 11:06:19 PM   
Deviation

Not the place here, but British Politics thread provides you with what you are looking for.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 45
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 11:09:04 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Not the place here, but British Politics thread provides you with what you are looking for.

I've tried to avoid that minefield since you-know-who passed away (Only commented tonight concerning QT). Seems like I was right.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 46
Oblivion - 11/4/2013 11:40:27 PM   
kirok1

Cannot agree with the tone of the review concerning the lack of heart here. Really enjoyed the movie tonight. Loved the music and have already purchased it. Will do the same with the movie when it comes out on disc.
If you expected War and Peace or something with an edge of the dismal, then what the heck were you doing watching this particular movie? Social comment? Go and watch something where everything is grim and generally set in an old pit town or Liverpool.
If you expected a SciFi movie that might just make you value what you hold dear that little bit more... then you'll get what you're looking for.
As for Cruise being a little one dimensional? Quite frankly, name any movie where Tom Cruise does not play Tom Cruise playing someone else... BOTFOJ doesn't count. I've seen it and he's just Tom in a chair. Much the same can be said for Sean Connery and a plethora of others.
The movie is stunningly shot, as you state. But the only characters who are bland or lack background are those who do not drive things forward. Settle on the Tom and his two leading ladies and you'll do fine.
BTW - you gave away what was going on months ago in your magazine with comments about what Cruise had signed up for. Just didn't have the slant quite right.
Spoilers, tut tut...

Post #: 47
RE: sounds like.... - 12/4/2013 3:01:08 AM   
Phubbs

quote:

And racism.

Ah so you do actually read them, although your opinion here could also be considered 'dumb'.

Racism: translation...mainly, I do not agree with the immigration situation at the current time and I will say what I think, I'm not afraid too.

@MC: you're right, you are a ****, I've never known anyone who berates and mocks people online as much as you do, especially people who aren't regular posters. No wonder you tend to get the same bunch posting all the time. Oh and your avatar is really annoying, whoever the hell that is.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 12/4/2013 4:09:43 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 48
RE: sounds like.... - 12/4/2013 3:29:38 AM   
rawlinson

Just to call bullshit on Phubbs claims about how he's only being called racist because he disagrees with the immigration situation, here are some of his actual comments from the thread.

quote:

And to be honest something that hurts me on a personal level as a white British male, the fact that apparently we are no longer considered part of the typical British family!. Now the typical British family is a white woman and black man! this was of course nailed home in the Olympic opening ceremony also, we are being bred out then I guess. Its very easy to see in London as 8/10 white women are now with a black or mixed race male. Mixed race folk now being the biggest increase, again very easy to see in London.

quote:

I just don't like the fact that the average British family is now perceived as a white woman and black male, it kinda feels like white males are no longer desirable or wanted. You certainly feel it more if you live in London I assure you. The 8/10 is my own calculation hehe. I work nights and see a lot of folk out n about everyday of the week, in South London 8 out of 10 white girls/women you see is with a black or mixed race man. Believe it or not but you hardly see white women with white guys anymore, hence the census showing the big increase in mixed race people now.

I'm just curious to know what is going on here? the stats are in and we can all see what's happening here, can't hide from it now. Same goes for immigration, when does this end now? how far does this go? when there are no more white British folk left? is this the goal?. It will happen to London first as you can now see, but the rest of the UK will follow.

I just want to know where this is leading and what exactly is the government trying to do.

quote:

Where are you from exactly? Chile? Malta? do you even have any experience of living with other people such as black people?. I've been to Peru and I know there aren't exactly many black people round those parts. Come and live in London for a year or two and see what its like. It also depends on your job too, so many youngsters go on about things like this yet have no actual real life experience to back it up.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2687227&mpage=176&key=london

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 49
RE: sounds like.... - 12/4/2013 3:57:35 AM   
Phubbs

Oh for pete's sake get over it

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 50
RE: sounds like.... - 12/4/2013 5:04:33 AM   
UTB

Yay Tom Cruise

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 51
RE: sounds like.... - 12/4/2013 9:25:03 AM   
Rgirvan44

Andrea Riseborough was amazing in this - should have had the movie be about her.

Still, pretty good!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 52
RE: sounds like.... - 12/4/2013 11:21:47 AM   
film man aidy

Well I really enjoyed this. Didn't go in with massive expectations, but came out pleasantly surprised. As everyone keeps saying, you certainly can't fault the visuals. Absolutely stunning to look at for the most part, and came wanting to visit Iceland where | think a lot was shot. For that reason alone, I definitely recommend finding the biggest screen possible. Preferably an Imax.
I had gone to a lot of trouble to avoid the full length trailers, which some of you had complained gave too much away. It made a nice change to barely know anything in advance, and have no idea how the story was going to unfold.
The score was beautifully done, and I'll definitely be buying that one. Shades of Tron Legacy there, obviously given the director.
It wasn't perfect, but I left the screening thinking it had to be a **** rating as it was a great night at the flicks overall.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that there were some great ideas in there, in particular the Tet. I would have preferred to have seen 'Jack' stay dead though. Didn't think we needed him turning up at the cabin again. It just threw up lots of other issues, such as what about all the other Jack's?! Do they just walk the earth now there are no drones to repair? They all should have died when the Tet was destroyed. Would have made for a better ending in my opinion. I guess you just can't kill Tom eh? I also thought the makers sailed a little bit close to Moon's story in parts.

SPOLERS END

**** or deduct a star if you aren't the biggest Tom Cruise fan. Next up - The Place Beyond the Pines, and I can hardly wait.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 53
RE: sounds like.... - 12/4/2013 2:45:08 PM   
Drooch

I feel sorry for this film. It seems well-intentioned but it's little more than an exercise in aesthetics, 'borrowing' so blatantly from Moon, Wall-e, 2001, Independence Day, The Matrix and others, with no real conviction of its own. Derivative, bland and with flat characterisations. A shame because this was a chance for Hollywood to make an expensive sci-fi that, for once, wasn't a sequel or remake. Instead it's a massive rip-off fest. There are some decent action beats and nice imagery, but offers little else unless you've never seen a sci-fi film before. For good modern sci-fi, go watch Danny Boyle's under-seen Sunshine.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 54
Unexpectedly Good - 13/4/2013 12:55:30 AM   
marclechef

Went to see this movie expecting very little and came out the other side surprisingly entertained, yes some of the characters are flimsy, yes morgan freeman is a cliched moebius rip off and yes it stars Tom Cruise but nonetheless I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi movie which was beautiful to look, but also had some good (albeit again Matrix riping) action sequences plus one or two truly magnificent wow moments. Maybe not for everyone but in my opinion definitly worth a look.

Post #: 55
I thoroughly enjoyed it - 13/4/2013 9:51:22 AM   
alsybroth

Will Tom Cruise fight against the very factions he's been serving with the misunderstood rebels? Of course he will, we saw it in the trailers! Other than that, they were a couple of twists I didn't see coming and I enjoy a good mystery. The visuals are truly sumptuous and at least Kosinski is at least injecting more humanity here than he did in Tron: Legacy despite borrowing from a chunk of other known sci-fi flicks. I had a blast

Post #: 56
- 13/4/2013 2:47:13 PM   
philshepp

Is this the new Zoolander movie?

Post #: 57
Boring - 13/4/2013 3:44:46 PM   
tysmuse

I love Cruise. That he's still watchable in this in spite of the terrible screenplay is a testament to him. This film is dull and devoid of peril. There's a bit of mystery to it, but one of the major plot points is given away in the trailer and it takes about an hour to reach in the film!? Also, it doesn't make any sense.

Post #: 58
RE: Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? - 13/4/2013 3:50:01 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: robintetley

I think Eyes Wide Shut dismisses that theory more than any of the above listed.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to robintetley)
Post #: 59
RE: Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? - 13/4/2013 7:22:58 PM   
jmebaby25

The awful exposition heavy intro had me worried, but in all honesty the film wasn't that bad.

I think the 3 stars is a fair review. It was very derivative, but it was quite good fun and the cast was solid. A couple of flaws it was lacking in originality and emotion. Also the characters behaved oddly merely to push the plot forward AND whether it was the fault of the writing or the movie trailers, there wasn't any twists or turns that you didn't see coming a mile away.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI