Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Oblivion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Oblivion Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oblivion - 10/4/2013 12:56:49 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
sounds like.... - 10/4/2013 12:56:49 PM   
jackcarter

JK wouldve been better off having directed TR3N instead (thus avoiding a lengthy star trek sized wait)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 10/4/2013 1:56:45 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: sounds like.... - 10/4/2013 5:11:06 PM   
Phubbs

Let me guess, something/some one is endangering the Earth, Tom Cruise is the only man who can save the day, Tom Cruise obviously never dies, Tom Cruise saves the day and the Earth, end credits.
Does every Cruise film poster need his mug on the front? aren't all Cruise films the same? super invincible Tom Cruise

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 3
RE: sounds like.... - 10/4/2013 5:36:59 PM   
nhassell

Thsi is by far the worst film I've seen so far this year, and am likely to see all year. All the actor's phone it in, the plot is absolutely mental (and not in a good way), the action sequences (the limited amount there are) are sloppily handled and nothing seems to click. I was one of the few who actually liked Tron: Legacy, but this is not even close to being half as good as that (and it's not as if Legacy was a masterpiece). I also can't help but feel this is the sort of film that could have benefited from some good 3D.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 4
RE: Oblivion - 10/4/2013 7:22:13 PM   
R W

Working originally in design and architecture, Joseph Kosinski made his big-screen directorial debut with the Disney Digital 3D science fiction film Tron: Legacy. Twenty-eight years after its predecessor and the results were the same as before, an impressive computer-generated world filled with characters that are not as dynamic as the environment. Tron: Legacy may be flawed, but it showed the potential of what Kosinski can be capable of and with his second feature Oblivion, he’s getting better.

Following an alien invasion 60 years earlier which nearly destroyed the planet, former Marine commander Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is one of the last few drone mechanics stationed on Earth. As he and his wife Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) are assigned to protect machinery harvesting the planet’s resources, but Jack starts to suspect there is something amiss with his mission.

Based on the graphic novel co-written by Arvid Nelson which has yet to be published for Radical Comics, Kosinski’s latest has been a secretive one as the advertisements haven’t revealed much. Despite its source material, this is original sci-fi and at a time where most films in this genre are remakes/reboots etc., this is a rarity. However, according to the director, this is inspired the sci-fi works from the 1970s and certainly as the plot starts to unfold, the twists and turns do seem to come out of previous works that were far superior, the most notables being Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 and the recent WALL-E (hence the constant jokes from various internet sites).

As before, Kosinski is at his best on a design level as he creates a post-apocalyptic Earth which is mostly a deserted environment where you can see remnants of the monuments. Working once again with cinematographer Claudio Miranda, every image is spectacular from Jack’s glass-design airborne tower to the stunning space finale. Failed to find a human element for his first film, Kosinski succeeds at putting a bit more heart this time round, as the archetypal characters are rather engaging, particularly the love triangle between Jack, his wife Victoria and the mysterious yet familiar Julia.

Being a Tom Cruise film, you do expect the usual qualities of Mr Cruise such as the stunts particularly the running. However, the times in which he shines is when acting with Andrea Riseborough who is excellent as the sympathetic but troubling Victoria who despite her love towards Jack, strictly goes by the rules of their employers. The other standout is Melissa Leo who spends all her time being through a monitor, as the supervisor who has a happy-go-lucky attitude that is quite sinister. As for the supporting players, Olga Kurylenko continues to shine as Julia, while Morgan Freeman just sounds like God.

Not as groundbreaking as it was anticipated, but this is a step-up for Joseph Kosinski, although he could’ve injected more character drama and originality, but does provide an enjoyable spectacle. Hopefully with his third feature, whether it is Tron 3 or his remake of The Black Hole, the director will reach his full potential.

Post #: 5
RE: Oblivion - 10/4/2013 8:01:58 PM   
Scruffybobby

I liked this. It might not be entirely original with clear influences from all kinds of stuff from Silent Running through Wall E to to Independence Day but it all hangs together well.

It looks fantastic throughout and there's enough in there to surprise (if only because it's kept out of the trailers ) and engage. Cruise is pretty much Cruise and Freeman is pretty much Freeman they're on autopilot but they're good value. Andrea Riseborough is great though. A genuinely sympathetic character who makes more of an impact than Olga Kurlylenko and it's a shame to see her arc somewhat unresolved.

All in all Oblivion is a soild couple of hours entertainment and a good way to kick off the summer season.

3.5 / 5

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 10/4/2013 8:03:39 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 6
RE: Oblivion - 10/4/2013 8:06:04 PM   
Goodfella

Didn't really enjoy this at all. Worked hard to be the kind of science-fiction thriller that wants to be intelligent and intellectual, and twist and turn the viewer, but it just doesn't work, I have to kind of agree too, the plot is fairly mental, it lacks real depth and the cast doesn't help either, Tom Cruise's character is a walking, talking cliche of pretty much every action role he's ever had and Morgan Freeman is awful, and it really pains me to say that. The effects and scenery are decent enough but I didn't go to see a film just for that.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 7
The trailer was underwhelming. - 10/4/2013 8:24:07 PM   
kielerkai

The looks were great but the rest (aka the story) did not convince me to see this. Not at all.

Post #: 8
TOTAL OBLIVION!!!! - 10/4/2013 8:25:51 PM   
Ramone87

A poor sci-fi outing from director Joseph Kosinski and Tom Cruise,....

Things start promisingly well,..we have a lenghty intro about earth being devastated ny an alien invasion, the destruction of the moon, to the vast populations of earth being reduced to wandering tribes,.. or so to speak. Earth cities are nothing but rubble and dust,....so then we are introduced to Jack (Tom Cruise) and Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) who remain on earth to monitor and control flying fixing drones and search the barren landscapes throughout the day and night.

Ok, the visuals are pretty awesome in places but once these characters open thier mouths the movie comes to a grinding halt,..there are laugh out loud sentimental scenes,...where the director tries so hard to squeeze emotion out of a dire script, to a cheesy sex scene in thier flash, supersonically designed apartment complete with flying helicopter just out side on a landing bay. All the visual elements are thier but there is such an emotional void when any actors are on screen,...you can literally feel it!!

So as jack goes on his daily routine repairs he get's ambushed by alien tribes and get's captured,...here he uncovers a huge conspiracy involving the 'Titan' Spacestation above earth where all humans are supposedly staying, clones and the hidden meanings in a book he found that becomes a defining point in the struggle to overthrow thier machine rulers.

This is where the plot just becomes confusing and convoluted. We are introduced to a the leader of the human uprising, a smoking shades wearing Morgan Freeman who really could'nt care less,..and a mysterious women (Olga Kurylenko) who firmly believes Jack to be his wife in an earlier lifetime on earth which he constantly dreams about.

After land skirmishes and ariel battles involving the flying Drones we come to daft finale which tries so hard to have meaning it's unintentionally hilarious....the only things to recommend this film are some slick visuals and a nice electronic score. But as a sci-fi film it fails to achieve it's lofty ambitions it so hungrily seeks,..

AVOID!!!

< Message edited by Ramone87 -- 10/4/2013 8:30:20 PM >

Post #: 9
oblivious - 10/4/2013 9:10:10 PM   
HERMES_67

make no mistake this flm prob cost a fortune to make, however, its all scenery and special effects. the story should have been great and the twist near the end was almost unexpected, however, it just didnt string together well and as such it turned out pretty mediocre. Worth a watch but only once out on TV.....

Post #: 10
Just about a 3 - 10/4/2013 9:58:19 PM   
sjmlondon

It looks good but like Tron: Legacy it left me fairly indifferent. With a slighty better script / better defined characters it could have been top notch, but it isn't.
The 'Star Trek Into Darkness' trailer was far more exciting.

Post #: 11
Good Stuff - 10/4/2013 10:16:26 PM   
HulkySmashSmash

Another solid sci-fi with little going on behind it.

I would have loved seeing Andrea's character a lot more.

Post #: 12
RE: Good Stuff - 10/4/2013 10:20:52 PM   
Gazz

Just back from the cinema. Here are my poorly written initial thoughts.

Oblivion is a Frankenstein's monster of sci-fi films (and games) but despite it's flaws I was thoroughly engaged from start to finish and often in awe of the beautiful imagery Kosinski turned out. The acting is solid across the board (Andrea Riseborough is a stand out) often elevating secondary characters beyond their under-developed shortfalls. Cruise also does a good job of not being Tom Cruise, especially during early intimate moments with Riseborough's character, but he does have a few moments to stretch his legs for The Cruise™ signature run.

Of all I appreciated that Oblivion stuck with it's primary characters rather than stuffing the narrative with needless action beats as most modern blockbusters do. The secondary characters are unfortunately left somewhat underdeveloped and at times I wished I had a better grasp on them and their way of life. But this is not their story and those three core protagonists are relatively solid and well developed, which helps when the film begins to twist and turn it's way towards a conclusion at break-neck speed. As a result, even when I knew where the film was heading during a few familiar plot points, I still wanted to see how they unfolded with these characters.

As for the story, though a couple of plot holes rear their heads during the film's 2+ hours I was surprised to find Oblivion had a rather solid story to tell. However, some world building could have been better integrated with the story in the film's first act. Instead we're dealt with an overly stuffed exposition and heavy opening narration telling us this is how the world is and how it got there. Although jarring it perhaps allows for the narrative to move more efficiently towards exploring a much grander picture.

Oblivion is not always original, but neither was Moon or District 9 (though they remain better films). With a few plot tweaks, a little tightening in the middle and a touch more character development in the right places this could have been great. But I'm happy with it being just a well rounded good film too.

I will certainly watch Oblivion again. And with Michael Arndt's pen behind the screen, I've been given a new shred of hope for his next effort.

3.5/5

< Message edited by Gazz -- 11/4/2013 2:29:44 AM >

(in reply to HulkySmashSmash)
Post #: 13
RE: Just about a 3 - 10/4/2013 10:23:02 PM   
dseys

I very much liked this movie. It has a very good story that leaves us guessing what the f is going to happen, the cinematography and the score are amazing. Sure it feels a little long from time to time but this will be only a problem for the kids, not the Empire readers!

This is a movie that has ambition and vision. Even if it's not perfect, it deserves 4 star.

(in reply to sjmlondon)
Post #: 14
A great premise, not quite explored enough... - 10/4/2013 10:27:57 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Always a pleasant surprise to find a movie with some decent writing behind it.
When it's not busy being The Tom Cruise Show™, Oblivion is engaging and satisfying, if somewhat forgettable in the long-term.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 15
Oh come on! - 10/4/2013 10:33:42 PM   
sunflies

This is a good solid slab of sci-fi and far superior to other movies that Empire has awarded 4 stars to (I'm looking at you, Oz).

Post #: 16
If you like Sci Fi/Video games.. - 10/4/2013 10:46:17 PM   
weekendatbernies

..then watch this film. Beautifully shot, beautifully scored, lovingly created.

Tom Cruise doesn't play Tom Cruise in this film, he's much subtler than an Ethan Hunt or Jack Reacher and deserves more praise for doing so. Really great stuff, and I hope it does well to allow this director to keep making intelligent and beautiful blockbusters in a world of Gi Joe and Transformers.

Post #: 17
Watched it, loved it! - 11/4/2013 12:02:45 AM   
DextersLab

Best bit of sci-fi for years, I didn't feel it was tooooo Tom Cruise standardactionherosavestheday - and the plot was interesting, if nothing particularly new to Hollywood. Absolutely worth a watch, definitely on the big screen too, the cinematagrophy is beautiful, plus it has Jamie Lannister in for GoT fans. I never wanted it to end, and to think I saw this for the same price this year as Live Free or TryHarder...well worth the money!

Post #: 18
Oblivion - 11/4/2013 9:56:30 AM   
a_man_and_his_monkey

Looked great. Sounded great. Just chugged along. Not amazing but not bad at all. One thing I didn't like thought...we didn't get to see the Cruiser run enough. Sad face.

Post #: 19
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 10:42:33 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Let me guess, something/some one is endangering the Earth, Tom Cruise is the only man who can save the day, Tom Cruise obviously never dies, Tom Cruise saves the day and the Earth, end credits.
Does every Cruise film poster need his mug on the front? aren't all Cruise films the same? super invincible Tom Cruise

Eh?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 20
RE: Oblivion - 11/4/2013 10:46:07 AM   
paulyboy

Pleasantly surprised by this, thoroughly enjoyed it.

There's a computer game in particular that Oblivion reminds me off, but to name it would bring about massive spoilers for the film in doing so, so I won't. Needless to say the whole film riffs off dozens of other Sci-Fi from over the years as well.

It looked fantastic, sounded incredible and had a genuinely satisfying/interesting conclusion to boot, really enjoyed it.

If I had to pick holes, it's somewhat slow to get going and devoid of a sense of humour, it's certainly not the cheeriest of films.

3.5/5

P.S - Those drones are f**king awesome!

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 11/4/2013 2:39:25 PM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to a_man_and_his_monkey)
Post #: 21
RE: Oblivion - 11/4/2013 11:48:06 AM   
talpacino

Yeah I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. It's not great or anything but it's solid 3 star entertainment.

I was starting to get bored about half way through until it went off in a different direction and from then on it kept me interested and entertained.

quote:

This is a pretty shitty attitude tbh. No, not all of his films are the same and I wouldn't exactly consider him the hero character in this. And yes, most film posters have the main star's face on them. I'm not a massive fan of Cruise, he's been in some films I really like and he has a few great performances but the Cruise bashing is seriously stale at this point.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Oblivion - 11/4/2013 12:00:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Yeah I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. It's not great or anything but it's solid 3 star entertainment.

I was starting to get bored about half way through until it went off in a different direction and from then on it kept me interested and entertained.

quote:

This is a pretty shitty attitude tbh. No, not all of his films are the same and I wouldn't exactly consider him the hero character in this. And yes, most film posters have the main star's face on them. I'm not a massive fan of Cruise, he's been in some films I really like and he has a few great performances but the Cruise bashing is seriously stale at this point.

I dunno. Rich Hall nailed it with this IMO.

CLICK

Now obviously I don't know if it relates to Oblivion as I've not seen it yet but a lot of his films do fit that mould .

I'll probably double bill this with Iron Man 3 if it's still showing in a couple of weeks. Looks decent enough from the trailer.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 23
RE: Oblivion - 11/4/2013 12:13:08 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

I dunno. Rich Hall nailed it with this IMO.

CLICK

Now obviously I don't know if it relates to Oblivion as I've not seen it yet but a lot of his films do fit that mould .

I'll probably double bill this with Iron Man 3 if it's still showing in a couple of weeks. Looks decent enough from the trailer.

Shut it Tuttle!

In Born on the 4th of July, he was a pretty good paraplegic until he has a crisis of confidence and can't be a paraplegic anymore...

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 24
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 12:18:49 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

Does every Cruise film poster need his mug on the front?

In a word, no:

http://manilovefilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/oblivion-poster.jpg

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 25
RE: Oh come on! - 11/4/2013 1:21:08 PM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: sunflies

This is a good solid slab of sci-fi and far superior to other movies that Empire has awarded 4 stars to (I'm looking at you, Oz).

True... How can someone praise a little Appatow comedy with no plot (This Is 40) more than an ambitious and artistic movie like Oblivion?

This is always the same problem, the rating makes sense within the context of the review, but doesn't anymore when compared to other movies rating. No one's expecting something great of a comedy, but when it happens it gets 4 star. On the other side if a very promising movie turns out to be a little disappointing, it gets 3 star, which is unfair, but it'll never change. The rating is not to be taken too seriously, it's the review that matters.

(in reply to sunflies)
Post #: 26
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 1:37:21 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

You won't get far as a professional film reviewer with that kind of attitude. Although it's not as if you were any good in the first place.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/4/2013 1:56:07 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 27
RE: Oblivion - 11/4/2013 1:51:56 PM   
Gazz

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

There's a computer game in particular that Oblivion film reminds me off, but to name it would bring about massive spoilers for the film in doing so, so I won't. Needless to say the whole film riffs off dozens of other Sci-Fi from over the years as well.

You monster.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 28
RE: sounds like.... - 11/4/2013 3:32:03 PM   
Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

You won't get far as a professional film reviewer with that kind of attitude. Although it's not as if you were any good in the first place.

lol!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29
Tom Cruise Always The Same? Huh? - 11/4/2013 4:10:39 PM   
robintetley

All Tom Cruise characters are the same? Hmmm. Like his characters in Born On The 4th Of July, The Colour Of Money, Magnolia, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky. I could go on. You're just thinking of the not so great Cruise films. Oblivion is crap by the way and one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Oblivion Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI