Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor Who Entertainment

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor Who Entertainment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor Who E... - 3/4/2013 11:58:42 AM   
Timon

When it comes to pre-Doctor Who entertainment - first there was Robin Hood, then Merlin, now they've gone, it's time for Atlantis and The Three Musketeers.

Atlantis is a brand new, thrilling fantasy drama, set in a time of legendry heroes, mythical creatures and gods. The action packed 13-part series brings to life the vast store of Greek myths and legends re-imagined for a new generation.

The line-up includes Mark Addy (The Syndicate, Trollied), Juliet Stevenson (White Heat, The Hour), Sarah Parish (Mistresses, Monroe), Jemima Rooper (Lost In Austen, Hex), Robert Emms (War Horse, Mirror Mirror), Aiysha Hart (Djinn, Honour) and Jack Donnelly (Dancing On The Edge, House Of Anubis).

The mythical city is currently under construction at sites in Wales and Morocco. Filming will commence in April and the programme will air this autumn.

In case that doesn't pan out (and also to have something for 2014), the BBC is also working on a new version of The Three Musketeers from Primeval co-creator Adrian Hodges.

Skins star Luke Pasqualino will play D'Artagnan in the 10-parter, opposite Merlin's Santiago Cabrera (Aramis), The Hour's Tom Burke (Athos) and theatre actor Howard Charles (Porthos). Peter Capaldi has also been cast as the shadowy Cardinal Richlieu in the "fresh and contemporary take" on Alexandre Dumas's classic novel.

"I'm thrilled to be working with such a dynamic, talented and attractive ensemble cast on our new version of The Musketeers," said Hodges.

"This series is all about passion, romance, heroism and action, and I can't think of a better group of actors to embody those diverse qualities."

Personally I can't wait. While I left Robin Hood and Merlin respectively after their second seasons, I do love me a bit of genre TV!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/1/2014 7:56:08 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 19/1/2014 7:38:27 PM   
musht

I think it's safe to say that Atlantis didn't pan out ... at all

I have reasonably high hopes for The Musketeers though, the trailer looks all right and Capaldi's presence gives it some credibility.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 19/1/2014 7:45:14 PM   
elab49

Maybe best to split the thread? Saturday teatime & Sunday at 9pm are presumably aiming for different audiences (even if the dialogue in the trailers sounded absolutely identical(?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 3
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 19/1/2014 7:53:08 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Maybe best to split the thread? Saturday teatime & Sunday at 9pm are presumably aiming for different audiences (even if the dialogue in the trailers sounded absolutely identical(?

Well, there's already a separate thread for Atlantis (it didn't last long). There may not be enough interest in this to warrant a new one

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 19/1/2014 9:16:32 PM   
Mister Coe

Looks like fun, but hasn't the whole Muskateers been done enough?

I suppose it's far riskier to spend big bucks on an original idea than something with so much recognition...

Still, I'll give it a go...

Say what now?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 5
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 19/1/2014 11:43:08 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Looks like fun, but hasn't the whole Muskateers been done enough?

Dumas is an evergreen perennial - it's going to be slung out of the adaptations cupboard every now and again. I don't know if I'll watch this one personally, but I don't have the slightest issue with someone taking a crack at it.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 19/1/2014 11:47:09 PM   
James2183

I enjoyed it. Started off slow but was thoroughly enjoying it by the end. Will be sticking with it

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 7
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 20/1/2014 12:41:03 PM   
musht

Good fun all right. The writing and acting weren't the best but not nearly as bad as Atlantis. That ending was also quite dark, hopefully it'll have some real impact character wise. Also a lot more time to develop the actual plot, in all of the adaptations I've seen I can never remember what the Cardinal's plan actually was.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 8
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 20/1/2014 12:51:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm also of the opinion that the story is a timeless classic, I must have seen about every version on TV and film and I don't tire.

I thought this was perfectly adequate Sunday evening viewing. I can't say much better or worse than that. It feels like a checklist of swords, pistols and leather for the lads, buxom enhancing dresses for the girls, 17th century hovels and palaces. And there's nothing wrong with that. But a lot of the story was telegraphed (**spoiler* he wasn't the real Athos? wow!). And we've already thrown away pretty much any of the story that Dumas had for the adaptation, without it being clear if the writers have the ability to take the main components of the story and fulfil its ambitions.

I'm hoping that they let Capaldi go Jeremy Irons in the Borgias. That will be fun. Personally at the moment I don't think its any deeper than the Muskerhounds, but we'll see how it goes on.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 9
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 24/1/2014 6:40:45 PM   
Captain Black

I went in with low expectations and as a result was surprisingly entertained. Thing is, I couldn't really tell you what I liked about it. The characters are trading off previous knowledge, and it's nothing we haven't seen done before and better. The tone was well struck though I'll give it that.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 10
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 27/1/2014 1:28:53 PM   
musht

Interesting second episode, fairly procedural stuff. It's beginning to feel a bit like the A-Team in the 1600s, not a bad thing.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 11
RE: Atlantis and The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest... - 28/1/2014 5:09:01 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

It's not great, but strangely entertaining....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 12
RE: The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor W... - 10/2/2014 10:47:56 AM   
spark1

already getting a 2nd season.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor W... - 10/2/2014 9:02:18 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

already getting a 2nd season.

... Yep, I'm happy with that

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 14
RE: The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor W... - 10/2/2014 10:17:51 PM   
Mister Coe

... but without Mr Capaldi who was, lets face it, the best thing...

Say what now?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 15
RE: The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor W... - 11/2/2014 12:20:19 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

... but without Mr Capaldi who was, lets face it, the best thing...

Oh really? I hadn't realised that

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Three Musketeers: The BBC's Latest Pre-Doctor Who Entertainment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI