Syfy's Defiance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Syfy's Defiance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Syfy's Defiance - 3/4/2013 11:47:42 AM   
Timon

So what's the skinny? I can't tell whether it looks good fun or god awful?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_(TV_series)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 3/4/2013 11:56:43 AM   
FoximusPrime

I saw an ad for this on TV yesterday and I'm willing to give it a whirl purely for the mecha.

You can never have too many walking tanks - just look at Starship Troopers 3. Or don't.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 5/4/2013 9:19:24 AM   
sharkboy

I heard Jaime Murray being interviewed on 5Live about the show and to be honest, it didn't sound all that promising - well, it has Jaime Murray in it for starters! - but, being a sucker for all things alien, I'll probably give it a go for a few episodes.  I just get the impression that in quality terms we're getting Falling Skies 2 rather than BSG- The Next Generation.

The thing that has sparked some interest with me is how they're planning to tie it in with the MMOTPS game - apparently characters from the game have their story developed on the show and vice versa, and there are plans to have in-game competitions that will allow your online character to appear in Season 2 of the TV show (optimistic much?)

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 3
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 6/4/2013 2:25:27 PM   
Captain Black

Cue lots of actresses-currently-working-in-bars-in-Vancouver buying the game despite not knowing what an MMO is, and making their in game avatar look just like their headshots.

I sort of want it to succeed because of how ambitious it is (seriously though, if you're going to bridge the game/TV show divide, surely setting the show on a spaceship is the best way to do it?), but it's almost bound to fall flat on its arse. I would give them major style points if they actually used the game graphics for the FX on the show, since everyone's going to be making the gag that they look just like the game anyway.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 6/4/2013 3:51:07 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I heard Jaime Murray being interviewed on 5Live about the show and to be honest, it didn't sound all that promising - well, it has Jaime Murray in it for starters! -

Quoted for sad truth.

The whole wiki thing on the background story actually sounds kind of interesting but then you get to the show itself and it just sounds a bit 'meh'

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 15/4/2013 1:10:51 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I'm actually looking forward to this on Tuesday. The trailers look promising and tick all my boxes. Hopefully it will be a replacement to the excellent Farscape.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 17/4/2013 8:42:16 PM   
superdan

I kind of enjoyed it actually, even if it was in a sort of guilty pleasure way. It certainly got me more than Terra Nova and all those other recent sci-fi shows, though it remains to be seen how long that lasts for. Plus, hot alien women = win.

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 7
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 17/4/2013 8:53:56 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, I liked it. It wasn't amazing but it is not trying to be anything more than a sci-fi show, it seems to be proud of it actually. It is similar to Terra Nova but vastly superior in my opinion.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 8
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 18/4/2013 4:30:57 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

We enjoyed it too. I wouldn't compare it to Terra Nova though. It's more like a Farscape/Firefly type hybrid. I think we'll stick with it for a while at least. The characters are really enjoyable to watch and the final battle scene those creatures in Ep 1 was great.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 9
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 18/4/2013 8:14:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan
I wouldn't compare it to Terra Nova though.

I only compared it to Terra Nova in the 'guy becomes lawkeeper in a small town/community to protect them from outside forces' kind of way.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 18/4/2013 8:20:20 PM >

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 10
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 18/4/2013 8:54:08 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan
I wouldn't compare it to Terra Nova though.

I only compared it to Terra Nova in the 'guy becomes lawkeeper in a small town/community to protect them from outside forces' kind of way.

Kind of like Eureka that way too.

I enjoyed this, I'll stick with it for the moment

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 11
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 18/4/2013 10:46:18 PM   
Captain Black

A bit mixed. I found parts of it deathly dull, and can tell you any of the characters' names - shit, I can't even tell you any of the other species' names, which is usually a bad sign. But, as mentioned, it does seem quite proud of its genre trappings and while I got a sense that it might make more sense if I were, say, playing a game in the same scenario, I did quite like the world building that they did. As for the actual characters, I liked the doctor and the lead was decent in a very generic way. And the last battle scene was fairly well handled even if - again - I might have enjoyed playing a strategy game set in the same environment.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 12
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 18/4/2013 11:05:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

I don't usually remember names until a few episodes in. It'll take me longer to remember alien species

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 13
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 15/5/2013 10:57:43 PM   
Captain Black

I've seen up to episode 3. Not sure what Sky are up to, so just general thoughts.

Still not really grabbed me, although the first few episodes are still scene setting. It does seem to owe more of a debt to a number of mid to late '90s SF shows (understandable given the creative names involved who did their best work then) in terms of its tone and - apparently - structure. There's subtle hints of elements going forward, but nothing with the sort of direct season long implication that any number of recent shows have had (and as a result, had terrible pacing and an unwillingness to tell as story within a contained episode). I'm not exactly won over by any of the characters so far either.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 16/5/2013 7:11:34 AM   
sanchia

The last episode focusing upon the daughter of the main character (you can see how much impact it has made in that I can't even remember the character name) was incredibly dull. I remember Farscape being similar to start with and that became a great programme. Sadly I may not be there to see it as boredom is taking over a little bit and i am ready to leave it alone.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 16/5/2013 7:12:23 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 15
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 16/5/2013 9:43:15 AM   
sharkboy

Well, this is proving to be a big steaming crock of shit. Clichéd, contrived, poorly written, badly acted shit. Unfortunately Mrs Sharky seems to have a slightly different view, so I can't even stop it polluting the TIVO's hard-drive. In an earlier post, I suggested that we may be getting Falling Skies 2 rather than BSG-quality sci-fi. Right now, I'd welcome that.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 16
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 16/5/2013 11:36:23 AM   
blackduck

Looks like I'm the only one enjoying this...
So far it's solid sci-fi show nothing great, nothing terrible.
But it has the potential to be really interesting.
Most sci-fi shows take a while to fully bed down, many have had worse starts than this one (DS9 for example)

Only real gripe is I'm a bit confused about the set up.
Which race attacked earth and how come none of the races sent more ships since?

I am but an egg.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 16/5/2013 11:56:51 AM   
impqueen

No race attacked Earth; a conglomeration of alien species (Votans) fled their dying system and ended up at Earth. There were hostilities and suspicion but through negotiations some species were allowed to settle on earth as others remained in stasis. There was an assassination of an alien ambassador followed by war (Pale Wars) and then someone blew up the orbiting fleet and all the alien terraforming technology crashed on earth and unleashed its power irrevocably changing the atmosphere and mutating a number of animals creating massive hybrids or something…

I wouldn’t say I was enjoying the show (though I like how it’s shot and looks despite some less than stellar FX) but I will stay with it for the foreseeable future, its Science Fiction so I’m allowing it a slow start... I like Not Brent Spiner (as he’s known in my house) Tony Curran as Datak Tarr.

Yes, always.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 18
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 16/5/2013 1:52:36 PM   
blackduck

Was all that in the opening episode?? I got none of that when I was watching it....

I though of Brent too when I started watching too!

I am but an egg.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 19
RE: Syfy's Defiance - 18/5/2013 11:07:10 AM   
CORLEONE

Really enjoying this so far. Hard to do good sci-fi TV these days and I applaud Syfy for having a go. Love the theme from Bear McReary too.

Even if this wasn't good, it has Mia Kirshner in it, which means I'd watch it regardless.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Syfy's Defiance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI