Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Production/Box Office

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Production/Box Office Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Production/B... - 3/4/2013 10:21:30 AM   
Timon

So, the last few weeks have seen lots of stories about films making changes/new versions/edits for China as it is now officially the second largest movie paying audience in the world.

For example:

Most famously, the Red Dawn remake underwent digitally editing to make North Korea the bad guys instead of China
Skyfall was edited to omit the murder of a Chinese security guard
Iron Man 3 was partly filmed in China and will release a version specifically tailored for Chinese audiences featuring more scenes with Chinese actors Wang Xuegi and Fan Bingbing
World War Z has undergone more edits so the zombie virus doesn't start in China like it does in the book

Now, I can see why studios would be willing to make a few judicial cuts in order to get their films shown to such a huge audience, but releasing different versions of films and/or re-doing the film's structure so as not to offend a particular country - is that a step too far.

I mean, it's not like the UK gets a different version of GI Joe: Retaliation because we might get offended that London is destroyed.

I know China's different and I know it's not the same thing, but it's got me wondering how far a studio will go to 'change' their film for a particular audience in order to reap the financial benefits?

Oh wait, a PG-13 Die Hard sequel and Taken 2 - I've answered my own question. Move along.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 3/4/2013 2:00:23 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Interesting topic, and further to that:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/transformers-4-will-be-co-financed-and-partially-filmed-in-china

So Transformers 4 will be partially filmed in China and is being partially funded by Chinese money

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 3/4/2013 7:38:00 PM   
directorscut

Well throughout the 80s/90s HK films were often recut for international audiences.

Even more recently we have films like Musa: The Warrior and Red Cliff significantly cut for international markets.

Don't see how this is any different.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 4/4/2013 11:39:37 AM   
Timon

A different cut is one thing, but changing a film's storyline so it doesn't upset one section of the global audience is another. I'm sure the average Chinese movie-goer wouldn't care that a zombie apocalypse starts in their country...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 4
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 4/4/2013 11:41:47 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I'm sure the average Chinese movie-goer wouldn't care that a zombie apocalypse starts in their country...

Nothing to do with the average movie-goer. Its the government!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 4/4/2013 11:50:44 AM   
Timon

Oh I know that, but for some reason, I thought they'd be more relaxed about sci-fi/fantasy films!

I can only assume Transformers 4 will show NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER to Chinese infrastructure where the robo-smackdowns start.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 4/4/2013 12:55:36 PM   
BelfastBoy

Folks, this is Hollywood we're talking about here - China is a potentially lucrative market so let's just turn a blind eye to human rights abuses etc and watch the cash roll in!

The Jaden Smith Karate Kid has a special China-specific version as well, I think.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 4/4/2013 1:39:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

With so much box office coming from International markets i dont blame Studios for curtailing to the wishes of these countries, it makes sense to appease them to appeal to the audiences in these countries even more. After all it's a business and these blockbusters cost a fortune

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 8
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 4/4/2013 2:00:30 PM   
shool

Makes smart business sense to me. If they can make way more money by making these changes than it costs to make them, its good business sense.

Movies are just a product to these studios at the end of the day and they are simply adapting the product to fit a certain market.

As long as it doesnt affect our product, then I dont see it as being a big deal.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 9
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 5/4/2013 3:28:15 PM   
Discodez

It's certainly interesting and really smacks of desperation, (As I had to point out to someone recently who thought that American films were already a huge market in China) the Chinese release about in the region of 900 films a year in their cinemas with about 30 of them being from overseas (so very few American films ever get released there). They need to start getting some kind of foothold in that market because as good capitalists it's a market they can't continue to ignore, if they do crack it it could be very lucrative in terms of growth, but I doubt very much that a bit of CGI jiggery-pokery will ever convince the authorities to allow Red Dawn a release anyway.

Is there even any appetite for American films in China? It would be interesting to see what sort of figures there are for the US films that actually make it into their Cinemas.

And anyway, all this pre release cutting, script editing and CGI-ing only happens here in the UK because of the evil cabal of Cinephile hating fun spoilers at the BBFC. I thought we all knew that by now? Jeesh!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 5/4/2013 4:31:18 PM   
Platter

quote:

I thought they'd be more relaxed about sci-fi/fantasy films!

Going by the Soviet Union I would say those are the films they’re more afraid of. Too much room for allegory, cryptic hidden meanings or ‘wrong’ personal interpretations.

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 29/4/2013 2:03:12 PM   
Timon

Really curious to see what the extra subplots in the Chinese version of Iron Man 3 were all about. In the US/International cut, Wang Xuegi (Dr Wu) had one line and I barely saw Fan Bingbing. Also, for a co-Chinese production - none of it appeared to take place in China.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Producti... - 29/4/2013 2:13:42 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

A different cut is one thing, but changing a film's storyline so it doesn't upset one section of the global audience is another. I'm sure the average Chinese movie-goer wouldn't care that a zombie apocalypse starts in their country...

One word... Godzilla

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> China And Its Increasing Influence On Film Production/Box Office Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI