Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Host - 30/3/2013 12:14:23 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The Host - 2 stars at most! - 30/3/2013 2:31:39 PM   
filmsunlimited

'The Host isn’t completely dreadful. ' - surely this implies a 2 star rather than a 1 star film?

Basically this is Twilight rehashed this time with alien visitors and pretty much the same teenage romantic dirge. Marginally better than Twilight (at least Melanie and Wanda battling with one another in Saorise's body is a little more interesting than vampires and werewolves having the odd standoff in the Rockies.)
Indeed, like the Twilight films, some of the scenery is spectacular and the Western desert does feel like a metaphor for the last humans.
At least the running time isnt as long as most Twilight films but the two hours does feel more like three at times!
No doubt the Twihards and their anodyne groupies will lap this up, otherwise there is better out there at present!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Host - 2 stars at most! - 2/4/2013 10:13:37 PM   
Dr Lenera

So here we go again, another attempt to attract the hordes of teenage girls who felt like killing themselves when the last Twilight film ended [actually, so did I, but for a different reason], and this one is also based on a Stephanie Meyer book which had sequels. Guess what? Itís awful. Now I havenít read [and never will] a Meyer book so Iíll take peopleís words for it that her writing improved since Twilight. You wouldnít know it from this film, which takes a half-decent premise [influenced by Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and The Puppet Masters, but thatís hardly bad] and, as with Twilight, like a vampire sucks all the life, energy and fun out of it. I donít like to use the word Ďboringí to describe a film, because a slow film can be as engrossing as a fast film, but it perfectly describes The Host which, in lieu of the storyís promise, spends most of its time on chatting [badly of course; once again Meyer characters just spell everything out] in caves, another excruciating love triangle, and Saoirse [o why, Saoirse, youíre one of the finest young actresses around today and this shit is beneath you] having a voice inside her head objecting to whatever she is doing. The society of trust-worthy aliens is neat and thereís some decent desert photography, but overall this is rubbish, and it appears to be flopping thank God.
3/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 2/4/2013 10:16:03 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to filmsunlimited)
Post #: 3
RE: The Host - 2 stars at most! - 3/4/2013 2:08:31 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Be weary of the previous posters. Like Kim felt, this for me was perfectly fine.

Sure Meyer's horrid dialogue makes an unwelcome appearance now & again ("when you touch me, I don't want you to stop") and yes there's a strong influence from the Bodysnatcher-based films, but Nicol's delivered another solid sci fi effort which works as a teenage romance & it's nice to see a film of this nature have its conflict resolved by conversations rather than guns. If you allow yourself to be swept up by it, the emotional pay off is surprisingly profound as well.

Ronan is obviously great, Hurt offers good support and the assemble don't let the side down either.

It seems the twilight backlash has made this film suffer at the box office, which is a pity as it deserves a little more than it appears to have received.

3/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 4
Why are you giving it 3 stars then? - 4/4/2013 1:45:10 AM   
Jamie_M

So,,,, the plot collapses, certain scenes provoke callous laughter, too many slow spots, all in all, "it isn't completely dreadful",
I know, lets give it 3 stars. Only 1 star less than something like I dunno, Django Unchained, I swear,, Empire and their reviews.

Post #: 5
Wasted potential - 9/4/2013 12:28:47 AM   
chubs

Kim, we need to at some point agree on a film, we really must! This was long, too long for the plot they were presenting us with and there was zero dramatic tension, after an hour I checked my watch and saw I had another hour of this inane, tedious, teeneage angst ridden film to watch! This made Les Mis feel like a 30 minute TV episode in comparison. I agree Soarise Ronan is the best thing in it but when the line "I'm in two minds about it" came out, I gave up caring, totally, this film was officially a DNR. I thought the premise was interesting and may have given us something different to normal 'possession' idea type films but it lost it all somewhere! I'm saying 1.5 stars, but I can't give half-stars here so it scrapes a 2, under protest!

Post #: 6
Sterile, cold and stiff - 12/8/2013 2:12:50 PM   
Limeylove

Sterile. This film is clinical beyond the required need. It possesses a soap opera quality that I would not expect to see being screened in a cinema (thankfully I saw this on a rented DVD). Whether its a jaded loved triangle that never really gets explored or the psychosis of the main antagonist, the scary shiny blonde lady!! oh no!
There is a 'made for European TV channel 5 movie' feel about this film that does not go to the lengths to explore the relationships or settings leaving it cold and stiff.. The only saving grace here is that the conflicting relationship between host and consciousness is not an obvious one. I expected more especially as the studio seemed to jump on this because of Stephanie Meyer.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Host Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI