Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> G.I. Joe: Retaliation Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
G.I. Joe: Retaliation - 25/3/2013 11:42:18 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Is someone going to one day put Dwayne Johnson in a dec... - 25/3/2013 11:42:18 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

The guy is a natural born film star. He has everything Schwarzenegger had and more. I'm hoping he's great in the upcoming Pain & Gain and gets a decent gig.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 25/3/2013 1:51:09 PM   
paulferrer

I'm sure the retro-fitted 3D completely changes the whole movie.

If you delay a film release 6 weeks before its release after spending tens of millions promoting nothing can change this movie. The producers obviously didn't have belief that the film will attract an audience and will converting it to 3D really make much difference?

Wouldn't it be better to just reshoot the whole film again with a script and a director that can direct.

What was the point of cancelling the release of the film 6 weeks before its release and delay
to delay it 9 months I

Post #: 3
RE: - 25/3/2013 2:38:45 PM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulferrer

The producers obviously didn't have belief that the film will attract an audience

I think they didn't believe the movie couldn't attract an audience. They just saw the huge flop of newcomers (eg Battleship) because of the unpredictable Avengers storm, and then chose to delay their movie to a date where there's less competition. Remember The Avengers, Battleship and GI Joe have exactly the same target audience!

Maybe it won't make a huge profit but the originally planned released date would've been worse.

(in reply to paulferrer)
Post #: 4
RE: Is someone going to one day put Dwayne Johnson in a... - 25/3/2013 5:32:28 PM   
Big Red

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

The guy is a natural born film star. He has everything Schwarzenegger had and more. I'm hoping he's great in the upcoming Pain & Gain and gets a decent gig.

Steady on! The Rock is cool and is capable of more. But better than Arnie he most certianly is not!

Imagine The Rock saying "give me your clothes your boots and you motor cycle"!

Doesn't work!

My artwork:
www.eamonart.com

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 5
RE: Is someone going to one day put Dwayne Johnson in a... - 25/3/2013 6:24:49 PM   
thedrin

quote:

I don't think the problem is with those doing the casting but with Johnson's camp. Yes, he's excellent, but whoever is deciding what roles he takes isn't interested in great roles with great directors. They're interested in a mix of family friendly films and big budget actioners.that will make money and nothing else, it seems.

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 6
RE: Is someone going to one day put Dwayne Johnson in a... - 25/3/2013 11:10:04 PM   
danielthompson99

Shame....I actually really enjoyed the first one, as a no brainer, Saturday afternooner goes.

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 7
RE: Is someone going to one day put Dwayne Johnson in a... - 27/3/2013 2:15:59 PM   
Cool Breeze

Looks like decent mindless fun like the first one was.Will definetly check it out at the weekend.In normal 2D of course.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to danielthompson99)
Post #: 8
RE: Is someone going to one day put Dwayne Johnson in a... - 27/3/2013 3:35:45 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

quote:

I don't think the problem is with those doing the casting but with Johnson's camp. Yes, he's excellent, but whoever is deciding what roles he takes isn't interested in great roles with great directors. They're interested in a mix of family friendly films and big budget actioners.that will make money and nothing else, it seems.

Which pretty much sums up Arnie films.

Anyway, I never get excited by trailers, or stupid kids films, but I saw the trailer for this last night and I was grinning like a loon.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 9
RE: Is someone going to one day put Dwayne Johnson in a... - 27/3/2013 5:12:31 PM   
thedrin

Cameron1975Williams may have been applying the phrase "He has everything Schwarzenegger had and more" to Johnson in a way that's different from how I'd apply it.

While he might not be as good as Schwarzenegger in the types of films that they both star in, Dwayne Johnson has it in him to do a good job in a far wider range of films than Schwarzenegger. He's a really good actor and were he to expand his range, I wouldn't be surprised if he started picking up acting awards.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 10
it's a POPCORN ACTION FILM - 27/3/2013 6:00:31 PM   
Hughezyvstheworld

serious, it's called G.I JOE RETALIATION.

just sit down, eay junk food, turn your annoying iPhone off and watch the lovely explosions.

i loved the film, great fun.

Post #: 11
Brain off, enjoyment on. - 27/3/2013 10:35:42 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

G.I. Joe: Retaliation is every bit as loud, messy and inherently stupid as you'd expect a 12A action movie, based on a toy-line, starring The Rock and Bruce Willis, to be.
In that respect, it succeeds rather well.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 12
Dull and lifeless. A waste of talent and potential - 28/3/2013 3:02:28 AM   
thearchitect

Full review available at my website http://killingfloorfilm.com/2013/03/27/review-g-i-joe-retaliation/

Post #: 13
RE: Dull and lifeless. A waste of talent and potential - 28/3/2013 2:45:28 PM   
No Diggity

What!! i mean what just happened.....i've seen some films this year that are bad,,,,but at least they made sense of some sort....i usually enjoy films of this sort,,,,enjoyable popcorn flicks,,,leave your brain at the door etc....but this was like a bunch of set pieces connected by the Rock doing his best...had so many things that didn't make sense that i left with a vague sense of annoyance...

(in reply to thearchitect)
Post #: 14
RE: it's a POPCORN ACTION FILM - 28/3/2013 2:55:53 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hughezyvstheworld

What's your point? Hardly an excuse for bad film-making. And you forgot to say, "IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE CITIZEN KANE/WIN OSCARS!!!11!!!"

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 28/3/2013 3:00:46 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hughezyvstheworld)
Post #: 15
- 30/3/2013 8:56:29 PM   
bretty

I'd forgotten how crap the first one was and this is much the same. Comic book style, plotting and logic, wish I was 12 again because I might have appreciated it. I did quite enjoy the mountain ninja sequence (it was a bit different) but the rest was painfully poor.

Post #: 16
GI Joe Retaliation captures the source material's spiri... - 30/3/2013 11:20:58 PM   
JJB888

In fairness it's not great but then again, anyone going to see it will not be expecting masterclass performances and tight plotting. Fans of GI Joe will be well served by a better capturing of the source material's spirit and in fairness some of the set pieces and fights are good fun.

Post #: 17
RE: GI Joe Retaliation captures the source material's s... - 1/4/2013 5:04:43 PM   
jcthefirst

I had fun.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to JJB888)
Post #: 18
RE: GI Joe Retaliation captures the source material's s... - 1/4/2013 10:20:48 PM   
dseys

I thought it was by far better than the 1st one. At least here there's a punchy visual style, a good soundtrack and very nice action pieces (Ninja sequence in the moutain was awesome).

Still, it doesn't make sense and it isn't original at all, but if you're not an action-hater there's some fun to be had, while the 1st one was a crappy action movie where even the action was poorly executed and filmed.

2.5/5

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 19
RE: GI Joe Retaliation captures the source material's s... - 2/4/2013 10:17:36 PM   
Dr Lenera

Donít shoot me, but I rather enjoyed the first movie, it was an enjoyably silly, over- the-top action movie, at least until it disappeared into CGI land for the final quarter like most Stephen Sommers film tend to do, and despite what you may have read it was not a commercial failure at all. Well, thereís less obvious CGI in this sequel, which retains a few of the first filmís characters [though don't worry, Mr. One Expression Channing Tatum isnít around for long], but donít believe the Rock when he says in the trailer that theyíve raised the bar, because they definitely havenít. Aside from one exciting but too short ninja fight hanging from a mountain, thereís nothing in this to even approach the incredible Paris chase of the first film, and the attempt at a grittier, less science-fictional feel doesnít really work when the whole thing is so ludicrous anyway. Say what you like about Sommers but the action in his movies is always visible; Jon M.Chu in this one goes more for the dreadful close-up, shaking-the-camera-about crap that is destroying modern action cinema. G.I.Joe: Retaliation is still fun if you switch your brain off, with a few well-placed laughs [check out where Bruce Willis hides his guns], and Dwayne Johnson remains that rarity, a convincing action hero who can act, but he needs to stop starring in all these average movies.

Rating: 5.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 20
RE: GI Joe Retaliation captures the source material's s... - 4/4/2013 10:05:28 AM   
Timon

Didn't anyone else find the scene with all the guns hidden around the home rather creepy rather than funny, especially in the wake of all the current gun control debates in the US? I mean, hand grenades in the fruit bowl? Really? It was like watching a gun nut's wet dream.

Also, when COBRA's weapon system first targets London - it targets Swindon! I laughed so hard at that.

Still, it was entertaining enough... though some of the dialogue - "Extraction? What are we? Teeth?" Dear me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 21
RE: GI Joe Retaliation captures the source material's s... - 4/4/2013 1:53:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Best part (in terms of hilarity) was when the president starts trolling everyone. The most ludicrous scene i have ever seen in a movie i think.

Best scene in terms of action was the mountain part, great 3D

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: GI Joe Retaliation captures the source material's s... - 4/4/2013 4:23:18 PM   
Vadersville

The stuff with Snake Eyes in the mountains felt like they had cut to another film. One minute I'm watching The Rock strutting his stuff in the hood, then suddenly I was watching The Stig in The Forbidden Kingdom! In fact, that's the best way to sum up the movie. The Rock and friends invade other people's movie. Another example being when he randomly walks in on Frank Moses from RED and borrows some grenades from his fruit bowl. The most ludicrous moments are the fights between Roadblock and Firefly though. The Rock is so huge now that I refuse to believe that anyone that size could last 2 seconds against him. The Rock could just blow on him and all his bones would just crumble to gravel.

It was crap. But entertaining. I was never bored and came out with a smile on my face. I have to admit though, whilst some of the comedy was obviously intended, the true hilarity came from the moments that were moments that were unintentionally funny.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 23
GI Joe Retaliation: Catering to the fans - 5/4/2013 9:56:00 PM   
Cameroncaleb

This is my first review so please give me some feedback, thanks.

Gi joe retaliation is the sequel to the 2009 action flick Gi joe: the rise of cobra. This film sees the joes in another up against the wall style situation as the plot sees the cobras taking over the white house and the US president in an attempt to take over the world and terminate the joes once and for all in a typical hero vs villain style story. However even though the outline of the plot seems predictable and typical, it doesn't stop you from enjoying this movie and there’s enough explosive action sequences and interesting twists and turns within the story to keep you interested in what’s going on.

This movie without a doubt is a significant step up in the franchise and is much enjoyable than the first film. The addition of director Jon. M Chu is evident and even though he is recognised for his step up movies, he proved in this movie that he is more than capable of directing an action flick such a Gi joe and the beautifully styled choreography that is put into dance sequences surprisingly has worked in this movie as the action sequences are done well and keeps you at the edge of your seat.

I've always believed that working on movies originating from comic books or a TV series is indeed the hardest films to make as you have such a large audience and range of fan boys to please but I do believe that fans have nothing to worry about with this movie and it was difficult to look for flaws with this movie as it’s what you’d expect a gi joe sequel to be like. Apart from the early exit of a certain character and fan favourite early on in the movie which I do believe was a bad decision, this is made up with the addition of the character roadblock played by Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson who considerably beefed up for the role and with his addition of quirky remarks and stern facial expressions makes him enjoyable to watch on screen and for me personally seeing the

Post #: 24
- 6/4/2013 4:23:21 PM   
smakris04

Somehow they managed to make an even worse movie than the first one. I wonder do the producers, actors, director care to read the script? Is it all about the money? And if it is all about the money why not spend a little more to a better story?

Post #: 25
RE: - 9/4/2013 8:17:38 PM   
CamLiza

I thought this film was an abomination. Lousy script, absolutely silly and cringe-worthy dialogue, cheap-looking CGI, a seriously hammy Jonathan Pryce...if I gave this 1.5/5, I'd be generous.

(in reply to smakris04)
Post #: 26
RE: it's a POPCORN ACTION FILM - 11/4/2013 3:24:19 PM   
Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

What's your point? Hardly an excuse for bad film-making. And you forgot to say, "IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE CITIZEN KANE/WIN OSCARS!!!11!!!"

Pretty obvious what his point is, it seems your point is the one which just resorts to petty sarcasm, well an attempt at least.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27
RE: it's a POPCORN ACTION FILM - 11/4/2013 3:33:22 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Pretty obvious what his point is, it seems your point is the one which just resorts to petty sarcasm, well an attempt at least.

Not really. Like MC was pointing out, this "leave your brain at the door, what were you expecting?" argument is a feeble excuse for mediocre film-making, even for an adaptation of a toy line. Dumb does not necessarily mean inadequate & vice versa.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 11/4/2013 3:34:38 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 28
RE: it's a POPCORN ACTION FILM - 11/4/2013 3:40:53 PM   
Phubbs

Its aimed at a certain target audience, its a kids flick based on a kids cartoon/comics/action figures, it plays fast n loose with it content, its the pinnacle of what you may describe...a popcorn flick. An adult may think its feeble, the target audience probably won't, think about it just a little.

I think the first film was garbage, but it does exactly what it says on the tin and gives exactly what you'd expect.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 11/4/2013 3:42:42 PM >

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 29
RE: it's a POPCORN ACTION FILM - 11/4/2013 3:47:10 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Its aimed at a certain target audience, its a kids flick based on a kids cartoon/comics/action figures, it plays fast n loose with it content, its the pinnacle of what you may describe...a popcorn flick. An adult may think its feeble, the target audience probably won't, think about it just a little.

I think the first film was garbage, but it does exactly what it says on the tin and gives exactly what you'd expect.

It might largely appeal to young kids but young kids deserve so much better.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> G.I. Joe: Retaliation Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI