Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Skyfall Takes The Jameson Empire Awards

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Skyfall Takes The Jameson Empire Awards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Skyfall Takes The Jameson Empire Awards - 24/3/2013 10:35:32 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Dredd Rules, Skyfall Drools! - 24/3/2013 10:35:32 PM   
sirvolkar

Glad to see Dredd getting some lovin' ;! But Skyfall winning anything? Man, that film was as forgettable as its title track by whats-her-face...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
To all who voted for Skyfall as best film: - 24/3/2013 10:45:48 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

You're all idiots. Skyfall was not a good movie. The Empire Awards just took another step towards irrelevancy.

Post #: 3
Pointless - 24/3/2013 11:28:46 PM   
jazzyjules63

The list illustrates why we shouldn't take much notice of 'reader voted' awards as most readers are just plain idiots. Martin Freeman best actor??? I liked Skyfall but best film? No. Also please explain to me how a movie that wins Best Film fails to win Best British Film... as I said, pointless.

Post #: 4
The 'We-Hate-Skyfall Bandwagon' - 24/3/2013 11:29:13 PM   
Faers

Oh dear... the thing with Skyfall is that it's becoming a bit like the Call of Duty games or Kings of Leon; it's successful and popular, so it's the cool thing to hate.

Personally, it's in my top five Bond flicks and is as worthy a winner as any of the other nominated films.

So please, can you sad, little people please get off your high horse and go back to YouTube and continue your moaning there!

By the way, I do appreciate the irony of moaning about moaning.

Well done, Skyfall!!! I like the straighter Bond films, such as Licence to Kill. It was visually stunning, the cast was excellent and had a simple, but well told story. The score & main song were excellent, the action was exciting. The new/old characters, depending on how you look at them, were also intergrated well and the little nods to the previous films were amusing.

But, in saying all this, I did vote for Django.

I personally loved every film nominated this year; with the exception of Cabin in the Woods, Sinister (haven't seen as I'm not the biggest horror fan) and Prometheus, which mostly just pissed me off for not answering the questions I have been waiting 20-odd-years to have answered instead of me hating it.

Congrats to all the noms and especially the winners.

Post #: 5
Poorly Conceived In Every Way - 25/3/2013 2:10:25 AM   
Woodland Bear

There are so many mistakes in the way these awards were put together. The fact that Skyfall can win best film is neither here nor there, when it loses to another film in the 'Best British Film' category. If that can happen, it can't be the best film, can it? Sightseers must be?

And to even nominate Martin Freeman? Or to nominate Jennifer Lawrence for Hunger Games, and not her Academy Award-winning role in Silver Linings? Or the same again for Hathaway's Dark Knight role, and not he award-winning Les Mis one?

Just because you can have an award show doesn't mean you should, Empire.

Post #: 6
RE: Poorly Conceived In Every Way - 25/3/2013 2:43:58 AM   
NeoBrowser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woodland Bear
And to even nominate Martin Freeman? Or to nominate Jennifer Lawrence for Hunger Games, and not her Academy Award-winning role in Silver Linings? Or the same again for Hathaway's Dark Knight role, and not he award-winning Les Mis one?

This year's Empire Awards is supremely better than the Academy's self-masturbation awards!
Martin Freeman was absolutely fantastic & better than any of the AA nominees!
Jennifer Lawrence is totally overrated and shouldn't have won anything. But at least The Hunger Games is more interesting than Silver Linings Playbook.
Anne Hatheway's role in TDKR was fantastic, Les Mis was one of the WORST films this year, and all she did in it was spend 15 mins crying and shaving her head. Awful!

Empire does awards for films that people actually give a shit about, instead of crappy art films that people only even hear of because of Awards.

(in reply to Woodland Bear)
Post #: 7
RE: Pointless - 25/3/2013 2:47:48 AM   
NeoBrowser

quote:

ORIGINAL: jazzyjules63
The list illustrates why we shouldn't take much notice of 'reader voted' awards as most readers are just plain idiots. Martin Freeman best actor???

Actually this why you SHOULD take notice. These are the people who make movies last & stand the test of time. The AA nominated films this year will be completely forgotten in a decade!

Also, Martin Freeman was awesome

(in reply to jazzyjules63)
Post #: 8
Awards Hullabaloo - 25/3/2013 7:35:40 AM   
kittybinks

I don't get all the rants, who won what, who voted for what?
There is no definitive accurate winner as people are individuals, albeit readers of this Tome or "Industry Experts". Each movie is different and distinct. There is no accurate scientific way of measuring the performance, script, direction or any of the technical aspects of a movie, because, they are just that, different. Everyone who loves movies are experts all our opinions count, our opinions are the most important not someone else's. It all boils down to this. Awards ceremonies are in the main a commercial way of bringing a movie to the public's conscientiousness and another way of celebrating the art form that it is. Lets face it, one persons Citizen Kane is another persons Showgirls!

Post #: 9
Dont agree... at all. Sorry guys. - 25/3/2013 9:00:49 AM   
spideed2

Skyfall is a fine movie but a long way off this year best. The Hobbit is an overblown mess and not half as good as Looper.....
The acting awards were all pretty much undeserved (Lawrence was better in other movies). ...
I could go on but I am not a troll and have no wish to be. The awards were clearly just based around which movie the most people saw, rather than the actual quality.

Post #: 10
RE: Dont agree... at all. Sorry guys. - 25/3/2013 10:05:44 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I'm surprised to see the Hobbit nominated for a few awards.I think Looper,Avengers or even Prometheus were more deserving of the Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Award.

I'm also surprised to see Dark Shadows nominated because I thought that film was literally all over the place.It was neither a horror or a comedy,though what it was-was a mess.Frankenweenie was more scarier than Dark Shadows,and it knew exactly what it was.

Everything else ,concerning the winners, I'm not surprised about.Skyfall really wasn't my cup of tea but I cant deny Craig's performance in it,in which he was rightfully nominated.

I think what Joss Whedon done with Avengers is somewhat underrated interms of the characters and the films general scope.
I will also say he was arguably under more pressure to produce than that of the other directors in the nomination list.

Dredd the best 3D film,really?
Ok,I felt it dealt with the 3D visuals fine but I dont think the film was in sole need for it,like most films to be honest.I think Dredds 3D moments were to far and few between for it to be solely considered for the award.While a film like Life Of Pi was much more deserving of the main accolade in my opinion.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 25/3/2013 10:25:58 AM >

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 11
RE: Dont agree... at all. Sorry guys. - 25/3/2013 10:36:46 AM   
Wild about Wilder

JESUS! W.T.F was going on with these votes Mendis & Skyfall yeah I can see that BUT! some of the others were really a "FUCKING JOKE!" how Sharma didn't get best male newcomer was bad enough BUT! Freeman for Best Actor really?
What has become of the Empire readership.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 12
Here's a boring rant noone cares about: - 25/3/2013 10:53:12 AM   
presidentcletus

I'm not perturbed that you (no, wait, we!) as a collective managed to fuck up your awards more than the Oscars, it's just one thing. No, not Lawrence winning instead of Chastain. No, not because Dredd should have won EVERYTHING. Just one tiny thing: Fucking TED?!?!? Are you serious? Why would you even have it in the same category as something like Moonrise Kingdom? "And the nominees for best TV Drama or Comedy are... Different Strokes... The Wire..." I mean, COME ON!!! I am completely subjective about this and obviously this is an opinion not many people share with me, but Seth Mac Farlane is shit. Family Guy is shit, American Dad is shit, his hosting gig was shit, not to mention Ted, which is sum big ole boolSHIT! I'm not one of those 'blurg mcflurg tim & eric is just too profound for you to understand' kind-of-guys, I like simple stuff. I don't expect everyone to go 'Hm, I should get rid of my FRIENDS boxset and go see a Louis CK show and follow Rob Delaney on Twitter.' You don't need Twitter. A sense of humour would fucking help though. Ted, urgh. I can't believe that pile of shit bastard film made me get angry on the internet! Terribly sorry about that...

Post #: 13
RE: Here's a boring rant noone cares about: - 25/3/2013 11:03:04 AM   
Davross

This obviously not an awards to take particularly seriously so I have to ask why bother? Skyfall and The Hobbit were enjoyable but let's face it horribly flawed. This is the cinematic equivalent of The David Gemmell Awards.

And yes, I prefer crappy art films that nobody watches.

Actually, on second thoughts, it probably was a boat accident!

(in reply to presidentcletus)
Post #: 14
RE: Here's a boring rant noone cares about: - 25/3/2013 11:29:42 AM   
musht

I'm disappointed but not at all surprised that Skyfall won so much. I don't hate the film but it majorly overrated and the plot is flimsier than an own-brand roll of toilet paper. I think a lot of people went into it wearing their 'diamond-jubilee-london-olympics-bond-50th-anniversary-goo-britain-really-is-great' goggles which completely skewered their viewing.

I'm very interested to see if it will be as highly regarded ten years from now

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Davross)
Post #: 15
RE: Here's a boring rant noone cares about: - 25/3/2013 11:30:30 AM   
jackcarter

no SF award for Prometheus?!....it will go on to be a revered cult like Blade Runner in years to come...you'll see....you'll see....

(in reply to Davross)
Post #: 16
RE: Here's a boring rant noone cares about: - 25/3/2013 11:58:33 AM   
DancingClown

Wah! Everyone didn't vote the way I wanted them to!! Gah! Wah!

Suck it up, fuck-knuckles.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 17
RE: Skyfall Takes The Jameson Empire Awards - 25/3/2013 12:25:50 PM   
Hanroro

Of course Skyfall is overrated - it has the same ending as Crocodile Dundee II for goodness sake (at least Mick manages to save the girl) but it was bold in it's way and I must concede that it has captured the hearts of Brits as all good Bond films should do.

(Incidentally of course Skyfall can win best film and not best british film: if i'd have voted for Skyfall as best film, it's likely I would have looked to give another film more profile in the best british film category - it's a completely different set of criteria!)

I'm also enjoying the little nods to Dredd, which was the little film that could and did.

However I must say I am genuinely surprised that the monumental achievements by Joss Whedon and Chris Nolan last year have been so over-looked by critics awards and viewer awards alike, the world over, having raked in over $2.5 billion between them!

Happily Joss has finally earned the Hollywood Carte Blanche he bloody well deserves, and hopefully can no longer be relentlessly screwed over by that town.

And what Nolan has done for the greatest fictional character of all time (my own opinion of course - note I have batman tattooed to my chest, and catwoman to my arm) will stand tall in cinema history far longer than the flipping Hobbit.

It's a funny thing: folk were kinda down on Batman Begins until they started watching it at home and realised it got better and better with each viewing. A lot of people grumbled TDK was too long when it came out but my gosh how they revere it, now it's in their blu ray collection. TDKR is a massive, confounding film that will bed in as an extraordinary final act to a stunning trilogy, I'm sure of it.

Awards is awards is awards innit, but it is always interesting to discover the zeitgeist is not where you personally hope it is.

Post #: 18
RE: Skyfall Takes The Jameson Empire Awards - 25/3/2013 12:54:01 PM   
spideed2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanroro

Of course Skyfall is overrated - it has the same ending as Crocodile Dundee II for goodness sake (at least Mick manages to save the girl) but it was bold in it's way and I must concede that it has captured the hearts of Brits as all good Bond films should do.

(Incidentally of course Skyfall can win best film and not best british film: if i'd have voted for Skyfall as best film, it's likely I would have looked to give another film more profile in the best british film category - it's a completely different set of criteria!)

I'm also enjoying the little nods to Dredd, which was the little film that could and did.

However I must say I am genuinely surprised that the monumental achievements by Joss Whedon and Chris Nolan last year have been so over-looked by critics awards and viewer awards alike, the world over, having raked in over $2.5 billion between them!

Happily Joss has finally earned the Hollywood Carte Blanche he bloody well deserves, and hopefully can no longer be relentlessly screwed over by that town.

And what Nolan has done for the greatest fictional character of all time (my own opinion of course - note I have batman tattooed to my chest, and catwoman to my arm) will stand tall in cinema history far longer than the flipping Hobbit.

It's a funny thing: folk were kinda down on Batman Begins until they started watching it at home and realised it got better and better with each viewing. A lot of people grumbled TDK was too long when it came out but my gosh how they revere it, now it's in their blu ray collection. TDKR is a massive, confounding film that will bed in as an extraordinary final act to a stunning trilogy, I'm sure of it.

Awards is awards is awards innit, but it is always interesting to discover the zeitgeist is not where you personally hope it is.

Nice post sir, well put.

What Skyfall did was what only 1 or 2 films do a year, they manage to mobilize the occasional movie-goer into ...going to the movies. This years efforts were Les Mis and Skyfall, last years The Kings Speech. If you can tempt in the occasional market, the word of mouth/hype bandwagon rumbles on till everyone and their uncle sees it.

Take away Roger Deakins photography and Javier Bardem and Casion Royale is a better film overall in almost way, the drama and action has more weight and immediacy, it feels more exciting, like there's more at stake, etc. Skyfall is still a classy film just not half as good as has been stated.

Ill fully admit though much of this is IMO, so I am not necessarily 'right'.

(in reply to Hanroro)
Post #: 19
RE: Skyfall Takes The Jameson Empire Awards - 25/3/2013 1:29:55 PM   
rian88

But Skyfall really made ​​it a phenomenon, but I have yet to see the excellence...

I'm nothing!

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 20
RE: Dont agree... at all. Sorry guys. - 26/3/2013 4:34:37 AM   
NeoBrowser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder
JESUS! W.T.F was going on with these votes Mendis & Skyfall yeah I can see that BUT! some of the others were really a "FUCKING JOKE!" how Sharma didn't get best male newcomer was bad enough BUT! Freeman for Best Actor really?
What has become of the Empire readership.

We pulled the sticks out our asses and enjoyed some good films instead.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 21
You Idiots....YOU IDIOTS!!!! - 27/3/2013 6:06:10 PM   
bb

I don't mind SKYFALL winning the two main awards, but the rest is a joke! What about AVENGERS ASSEMBLE and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES?! Those two were also the most successful films of 2012, and they both got more positive reviews than THE HOBBIT, which was underwhelming. Martin Freeman winning Best Actor?! He's good, but NOTHING compared to Daniel Day-Lewis and Christoph Waltz. Here's a warning to all you Empire readers, if next year's awards is just as bad, I am NEVER going to submit my votes again (I've been doing it since 2002). You're all becoming as bad as the Oscar voters.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Skyfall Takes The Jameson Empire Awards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI