Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Compliance - 22/3/2013 1:50:48 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
A compelling and intelligent drama - 22/3/2013 1:50:49 PM   
thearchitect

Please see site rules for linking to personal review sites.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 28/3/2013 12:23:13 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
A lazy Empire review for a great and TRUE story - 26/3/2013 10:09:29 AM   
Blacklisted

Sorry Damon, but this story is based on true events. It is well documented and a quick google search will prove your mistake and claims that it 'doesn't really wash'. Hell, here's a youtube link to interviews with the real people and the actual CCTV footage from the McDonald's it happened in. It's all there: s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvnqdBm4szM

Post #: 3
A lazy Empire review for a great and TRUE story - 26/3/2013 10:10:30 AM   
Blacklisted

Sorry Damon, but this story is based on true events. It is well documented and a quick google search will prove your mistake and claims that it 'doesn't really wash'. Hell, here's a youtube link to interviews with the real people and the actual CCTV footage from the McDonald's it happened in. It's all there: s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvnqdBm4szM

Post #: 4
RE: A lazy Empire review for a great and TRUE story - 26/3/2013 8:13:08 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blacklisted

Agreed -- There is ample documentation that this was a real event.
The film is closer to a crimewatch style reconstruction than a drama. A very disturbing watch - 5 walkouts from my cinema (with only about 10 people left at the end). Tackles a very difficult subject well.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

(in reply to Blacklisted)
Post #: 5
RE: A lazy Empire review for a great and TRUE story - 27/3/2013 11:48:30 AM   
Damon_Wise

*Spoilers*

My point is not that I think it didn't happen, it's that I think it's more than a little disingenuous to use serious sexual molestation as a plot device and then basically tell the audience "something like this actually happened". Well did it or didn't it?! I wasn't comfortable with that at all. It's also possible that I saw a slightly different cut of the film, which I'm looking into...

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 6
RE: A lazy Empire review for a great and TRUE story - 27/3/2013 1:37:40 PM   
thedrin

While there's a lot of stuff about this is done well, I suspect that the prank phone caller would probably have enjoyed watching this film as much as he enjoyed making the phone call. I felt guilty watching this. Will not watch again.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 27/3/2013 1:38:40 PM >

(in reply to Damon_Wise)
Post #: 7
RE: A lazy Empire review for a great and TRUE story - 28/3/2013 11:47:05 AM   
Damon_Wise

That's my point exactly! Well put.

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 8
RE: A lazy Empire review for a great and TRUE story - 23/8/2013 6:55:44 PM   
drshi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blacklisted

This page is no longer available; but there's far better verification at the site below: step-by-step description + copious references to this actual 3-1/2 hour ordeal that was all captured by surveillance cameras -- in the restaurant and offices -- at a McDonald's in Mt. Washington, Kentucky, on April 9, 2004. Truth really IS stranger then fiction! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_prank_call_scam

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 9
I'll have you know - 1/9/2013 5:47:36 AM   
Dechha1981

I'll have you know the events the movie is based on DID, in fact, happen. At least 70 times as a matter of fact. It's mostly based on the last incident, which you can find on Youtube. All they changed were the names, the victim's hair colour, replaced McDonalds with a fictitional restaurant, and the personality of the fiancé.

I can forgive simply not knowing that, but to resort defiantly daring us to do your research for you, in the Information Age when you could've easily done so yourself in a few seconds, that's just lazy.

Having said that, I for one found the movie interesting, a horror movie with no killer, and a genuinely thought provoking one.

Post #: 10
RE: Compliance - 31/12/2013 12:14:04 PM   
chang

The point of Compliance, which caused walkouts and shouting matches when it premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, is how we are programmed to do things that go against our natural instincts as long as we believe we have the law on our side.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Compliance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI