Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Croods - 21/3/2013 6:03:22 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
F Y with the 2 stars!! - 21/3/2013 7:39:18 PM   
whitelighter

Are you kidding me, Empire?? 2 stars??? Get a grip & start enjoying movies!!!!! I watched this with my 9 year old son & we laughed all the way through it!!!!! So did everyone else in the cinema!!!! 2 stars!! This gets 5 stars from me. Classic! Ordinary storytelling?? What the hell did you expect Shakespeare??? This movie was funny! Imaginative!! Visually stunning!! Seriously Empire needs to hire better reviewers. Ones that actually watch movies & enjoys them for what they are!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 21/3/2013 11:59:27 PM   
TheMovieBlogger

Wow, 2 stars really is poor. I've yet to see the movie but unless it's a complete flop the trailer suggests a lot more than 2 stars.

Maybe the reviewer just hates kids!

Hi, I'm Josh!

Check out my website & reviews - http://themovieblogger.com/

I've only just started but some feedback would be great!

(in reply to whitelighter)
Post #: 3
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 22/3/2013 3:25:25 AM   
Ethanial

Phil is right, saw it a few weeks ago and have been surprised at some of the positivity. An absolute bore beyond its visuals.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to TheMovieBlogger)
Post #: 4
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 22/3/2013 7:19:47 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMovieBlogger

Wow, 2 stars really is poor. I've yet to see the movie but unless it's a complete flop the trailer suggests a lot more than 2 stars.

If you haven't seen it then how can you make that judgement? Fucking ridiculous.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 5
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 22/3/2013 11:43:08 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: whitelighter

Are you kidding me, Empire?? 2 stars??? Get a grip & start enjoying movies!!!!! I watched this with my 9 year old son & we laughed all the way through it!!!!! So did everyone else in the cinema!!!! 2 stars!! This gets 5 stars from me. Classic! Ordinary storytelling?? What the hell did you expect Shakespeare??? This movie was funny! Imaginative!! Visually stunning!! Seriously Empire needs to hire better reviewers. Ones that actually watch movies & enjoys them for what they are!

Oh, so close. If you'd only remembered to include "It's not meant to be Citizen Kane", "It's not intended to win Oscars", and, of course, "These kind of star ratings punish good film-making".

(in reply to whitelighter)
Post #: 6
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 22/3/2013 11:48:10 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 22/3/2013 11:54:35 AM   
rawlinson

Although I did like the use of over 20 exclamation marks in one paragraph.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 8
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 22/3/2013 12:30:41 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I'm going to remember this silliness when you give a kid's film a bad review on your blog.

I'll be watching. Oh yes I will.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 9
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 22/3/2013 5:15:57 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Post #: 10
RE: The Croods - 22/3/2013 5:36:12 PM   
rich

This thread is just amazing

Meanwhile...

Post #: 11
RE: The Croods - 22/3/2013 6:41:31 PM   
dseys

I think the rating depends too much on the expectations.

Now it seems The Croods isn't as good as How To Train Your Dragon, so it gets only 2 stars. Not because it deserves 2 stars, but because Phil wants to tell us he was disappointed.

The opposite also works, when the expectations are very low, e.g.: after the 4th Twilight. The 5th was a little improvement, so it got 3 stars, even though it was still bad. Helen O Hara was positively surprised, but she forgot to take the time to ask herself: was it really "good", or was it just "better than a very awful movie"?

I know it's difficult to stay coherent when a lot of different reviewers are at work, but still sometimes it's a bit strange.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 12
- 22/3/2013 10:09:35 PM   
Whistler

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this. While the story may be a bit predictable, that doesn’t stop it from being a whole lot of fun. This is an exciting, funny and sweet film that makes you laugh and tugs at your heart-strings in equal measure.

Post #: 13
RE: The Croods - 23/3/2013 3:15:54 PM   
Phubbs

From what I've seen the whole thing looks completely unoriginal and pretty tacky frankly. Just 'Ice Age' and 'Dinosaurs' jumbled together.

Post #: 14
RE: The Croods - 23/3/2013 4:43:14 PM   
thedrin

Not as good as How to Train Your Dragon, but then that's a 5 star film. I enjoyed this. 3 or 4 stars depending on my mood. Today that's 4. Great visuals, quite funny (the whole audience laughed consistently throughout). The heart of the film didn't work perfectly for me, but it was done well enough. The last 10 minutes is a bit too schmaltzy.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 23/3/2013 4:44:34 PM >

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 15
The first hour is too much like hard work... - 23/3/2013 9:01:14 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

For the first hour or so, there's something incredibly bland about the whole thing; nothing gels together to make the kind of magic we've come to expect from Dreamworks. Then, from the tar-pit scene onwards to be exact, everything slides into gear and cruises over the finish-line.

With the best will in the world, this is a rainy afternoon DVD. Save your money for Despicable Me 2.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 16
RE: The first hour is too much like hard work... - 24/3/2013 6:14:06 AM   
thedrin

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMightyBlackout
Save your money for Despicable Me 2.

Probably the most damning review in the thread.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 17
RE: The first hour is too much like hard work... - 24/3/2013 6:30:16 PM   
filmigos

It has 3 THEATER ratings over at www.Filmigos.com. (ignore the spam comments since my programmer is putting in a captcha soon). I saw it last night, and I think it's real fun for kids. That's about it. Didn't really do anything for me.

www.Filmigos.com
Friends Don't Let Friends Pay Movie Ticket Prices For Rentals

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 18
RE: The first hour is too much like hard work... - 27/3/2013 11:11:37 PM   
dseys

Finally seen it... and thought it was exquisite! Empire was just too harsh this time. Sure this isn't an instant-classic like How To Train Your Dragon, but it's definitely not far from that. I thought it was entertaining, touching and very, very funny. The entire theatre was laughing and applaused at the end.

I liked the fact that this family was very primitive (almost like animals), and at the same time not so different from today's archetypal people (he hates his wife's mom, the women get crazy when it comes to shoes, and many, many other truculent details).The beasts design was also great and very, very original (who'd think about hamster-sized elephants?).

My theatre showed it only in 2D, but i could tell how astonishing the 3D would be. DreamWorks' use of 3D is pretty much the best nowadays (How To Train Your Dragons, Rise of the Guardians and Madagascar 3 were fine examples of a well-thought 3D).

(in reply to filmigos)
Post #: 19
Same film? - 3/4/2013 8:39:56 PM   
59pen

We just went to a sold out performance- audience laughed all the way through- beautiful to look at- yes the story is limited and a bit preachy- but as a dad that sits through all of these types of films, it ismore worthy than most- it deserves more than 2 stars- maybe your reviewer needs a film break?

Post #: 20
horses for courses - 11/4/2013 10:06:40 AM   
findogask

All comments on this wrongly 2 star award I agree with.. perhaps Empire should send reviwers that the film is trying to target eg.. Kids & accompanying adults

Post #: 21
Fun and entertaining - 13/4/2013 2:09:05 PM   
Bossis

Ignore reviewers ratings. They always tend to review from an adult perspective. Yes this is predictable, and the plot gets a B in my opinion, but my kid loved it (almost fell over laughing so hard) and I found it entertaining enough to see it again in the theatre with him in 3d. I don't usually do that! Best for the younger set - ages 5 to 11.

Post #: 22
Agree completely with Empire! - 14/4/2013 5:23:36 PM   
The Fella

Sorry to say this, but I am surprised so many people are disagreeing with Empire's two star review. I have just returned from watching this film with my five year old, and we were both very disappointed. Yes, the film does look lovely - the design, animation, sound, etc. were all top notch, but the story? Yes, I know it is a kids film, but all the best kids films appeal to adults too - the Toy Story's, Shrek's, Ice Age's, etc. Not only was the story almost non existent and formulaic, but there just wasn't any of the humour that we all have come to expect from this kind of film. We saw Madagascar 3 a few weeks ago, and that is how this sort of thing should be done - brilliant animation, but also packed full of inventive humour and wackiness to keep both kids and adults entertained. The Croods was also far too preachy, and just a little bit embarrassing - certainly no one else at our screening raised more than the odd giggle, and certainly not my daughter who was ready to leave after the first half an hour. Well done Empire for an accurate and fair review of the distinctly below average Dreamworks effort.

Post #: 23
RE: Agree completely with Empire! - 29/4/2013 2:18:04 AM   
Phubbs

The Croods (2013)

An 'Ice Age' rip off is what sprang to mind when seeing trailers for this, Dreamworks trying to leech off another studios ace franchise. In all fairness I still do believe 'DW' has kinda pinched the idea to a degree, 'Ice Age' is a good animated franchise and shows the prehistoric era is popular, so why not make your own eh.

The plot runs along the same kind of lines as 'Ice Age 2' and 'Ice Age 3', mixed together. The Croods must leave their home and find pastures new because of impending earthquakes and land formation which is tearing the area they know as home apart. On their journey they discover new lands which are alien to them which kinda feels like a 'lost world' theme, which would be similar to 'Ice Age 3' and various other fantasy films.

To be honest at first I really didn't like what I was seeing. I didn't like the way everything was designed, any of the characters and I didn't like the animation. Plus the start is pretty slow really, nothing much of interest happens and you start to wonder if it will be set purely within rocky terrains and dark caves the whole time.

Its only when the family must uproot and move on that the film starts to look much much better, again...a little too much like 'Ice Age 3' but lets leave that alone. Once we start to see all the colourful weird and wonderful lands, creatures, flora and fauna, I found myself enjoying the adventure a lot more (sigh of relief too I might add). Odd choice to make all the animals fantastical over realistic, not sure about that, I think it would of worked better with real accurate animals, flora and fauna etc...It might as well of been set on a distant alien planet really, it bares no proper resemblance to the real prehistoric era.

I'm still unsure about the characters though, jury's still out on them. All together they kinda reminded me of 'The Addams Family' but set in the prehistoric era, I think you can see what I mean. 'Grug' the father was a fun character voiced well by Cage, which was a surprise, really couldn't see that working out when I heard of it. I reckon Patrick Warburton would of been a good match for this 'Stan Smith-esque' caveman, but Cage does a good job. The only other character I liked was 'Grug's' son 'Thunk' voiced by Clarke Duke. A typical dim witted character but he made me smile.

Its not overly hilarious but there were times where I smirked and grinned at the lunacy. The whole sequence where 'Grug' is trying to come up with ideas to challenge 'Guy' was nicely done, some good Wil E. Coyote moments in that montage. I also liked how 'Grug' was always hoping his mother-in-law would get killed or eaten, nice touch there for the adults.

Poor start, gets much better midway through and ends with a very predictable weepy happy ending like all animated films do. I liked it but there are so many things I would change about the film if it was my project, the whole concept is pretty unoriginal now anyway thanks to a certain other franchise. Some nice touches but they don't save the film completely for me.

5/10

(in reply to The Fella)
Post #: 24
RE: F Y with the 2 stars!! - 19/1/2014 4:58:06 PM   
Darren47

Its at least 3 stars, if not 4. Some of the jokes are funny, some good characters, great animation. but theres no way this is anything special, And this shouldn't turn into a franchise at all. (They announced a sequel after a month this came out.)

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Croods Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI