Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Michael Owen to retire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Michael Owen to retire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 11:47:26 AM   
erasheha1985

So after many seasons of injury and intermittent appearances, Owen is calling it a day at the end of the season. So with that mind what are people's thoughts on Owen as a player and his career?

Post #: 1
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 12:00:22 PM   
matty_b

A shame he was ruined by injuries - I thought he was nailed on to surpass Charlton's England record, and as someone who likes to see sporting history made, I was looking forward to that day.

Just a complete natural goalscorer the Argentina goal is still one of my favourites ever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 2
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 12:25:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

It kind of feels like he's been retired, well basically since he picked up the injury when he'd just started with Newcastle. Even though I think he ultimately managed about a goal in every 3 games there.

The Utd move was an oddity, I don't think there was anything wrong with it, but I think its a shame he got the number 7 shirt (which I don't think I can blame on him). But in an age where we see squad numbers that can look like an American football team, I still like to think the number 1, 7 and 10 shirts mean something in a team.

Stoke, has he actually started a game there? Tarnishes his legacy a bit imo. Not playing for Stoke after Liverpool, Real, Newcastle and Utd., but his claims that he's fit as a fiddle then collapses the minute he has a transfer somewhere, should have bowed out 2 years ago.

Still a dynamic player in his prime and a great finisher. Its just a shame that when his pace went through injury he couldn't add to his game anywhere else.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 12:42:53 PM   
superdan

Michael Owen? Isn't he that horse racing guy who used to play football years ago? He was pretty good for a while in the late 90's/early 00's.

In all seriousness, he was a great striker for a bit but he really hasn't done anything for so long that it's impossible to feel anything other than ambivalence about him retiring. Plus, I nearly laughed my tv off its stand when I saw him trying to claim he wasn't injury-prone a year or two ago.

< Message edited by superdan -- 19/3/2013 12:43:49 PM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 1:20:44 PM   
horribleives

I think his legacy's been gradually tarnished ever since he left Liverpool to be honest. Great player in his day and he'll probably make a decent pundit but as far as I'm concerned he'll always be one of the useless, overpaid, lazy cunts who got us relegated.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 1:45:01 PM   
jediwarrior

Should have gone a few years ago. Not really loved by supporters of any club he played for.

Being a Liverpool fan my best memory of him was the 2 goals v Arsenal in the FA Cup Final in 2001.

I was also at the games where he made he first appearance for Liverpool as a sub and also his first start for them as well.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 6
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 2:15:40 PM   
Skiba

One of my favourite England players from my lifetime and one of the best of his generation...for a while. Along with Shearer he was one of the best strikers England have produced in recent years.

Probably made a mistake to leave Liverpool (not sure he had a choice anyway?) but made an even bigger mistake leaving Real when he did...had a decent season with them and would've forced his way back in to their team but he was too keen to make sure he'd make the WC squad and made a terrible move to Newcastle. Right time to retire I'd say.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 7
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 4:21:18 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I thought he retired last year.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 8
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 19/3/2013 7:28:23 PM   
Rinc

Owen was fantastic while at Liverpool. He's never been very popular and there's an article on the Guardian that probably explains some of the reasons why, but his goal record is excellent. My only criticism of him is that as a striker he could really only play one way which meant his team's attack was quite limited. Still a shame though he was injured so much. It's quite bad really that Owen was the last young English striker to burst onto the scene and score a load of goals straightaway. It never seems to happen now.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 21/3/2013 11:37:12 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

As a player he had so much talent but ruined by injury.

As a person I think he's up there with the biggest twats after seeing some of his stuff on twitter.

Will anyone even notice he's not around?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 10
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 22/3/2013 1:21:26 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Will anyone even notice he's not around?

The BBC will probably give him 200,000 a year to be a regular on MOTD.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 11
RE: Michael Owen to retire - 22/3/2013 9:12:19 AM   
borstal

Focussing on him as a player I always liked him even when he played for them there scousers. We had Andy Cole mostly scowling when he scored and Liverpool had Owen looking chuffed to bits each time he did. He should have left a better legacy but as said above it was injuries and unwise moves that negated that.

Still I'll always think of the Germany 5-1 and Argentina game when I think of Owen. Last minute winner against City too.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Michael Owen to retire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI