Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

When Saturday comes........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> When Saturday comes........ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When Saturday comes........ - 16/3/2013 10:22:51 AM   
jonson

So, with news that Leicester's last home game of the season against Watford has been moved to a Friday night, some fans have quite rightly been kicking up a stink.
Just for anyone's interest, here are the Saturday 3pm home games that Leicester have played this season.

August 8th
September 1st
Ocotber 6th
October 27th
November 17th
November 24th
December 8th
December 22nd
March 9th

And that's it.
1 Saturday home game this year.

Now, I'll be honest here as I haven't got the same problem as most.
I don't take my children to the football, so late school nights isn't an issue.
I don't work shift work, so any night in the week isn't a problem.
Recently, after 3 Tuesday night home games in a row, me and my friends in the pub remarked that we quite like Tuesday night games as there's fuck all else to do on a Tuesday night, it's nice to have a few beers on a traditionally "dry" night, and it frees up Saturdays to play golf
Also I do enjoy night games. They weren't as common in the 80's when I started watching football, so I can always remember the special occasion of a floodlit ground, everyone wrapped up against the cold and climbing into bed when I got home with the game still buzzing round my head.

I'm not a massive traditionalist, I subscribe to SKY so I do acknowledge I'm part of the problem.
However, moving the last home game of the season has pushed me over the edge.
Last home game of the season, sometimes in nice sunshine, fans in the crowd wearing fancy dress (this practise seems to have increased massively over the years - it's great to see and good fun - like football should be) and every year, EVERY YEAR, since I started going down in 1982, Alan Birchenall, ex-player and club ambassador, has run round the pitch 60 times before the game, to raise money for charity. A couple of years ago he got to the 1 million pound mark. He is joined by ex-players, current players, managers, members of the Armed Forces, children from local hospices, charity workers and just fans enthusiastic enough to offer to join in.
And now SKY have fucked it. I can't see him doing it this year, I can't see the fans arriving 2 hours before kick-off (which they usually do) to cheer him on.

The Club have told us that once SKY decide to move a game to be televised, only the Health and Safety Nazis or the Police can oppose it. The Club have no say (although I'm sure a couple of hundred thousand quid stops them complaining too vociferously ) so the fans have to put up with it.

I pay 550 for my season ticket. That's in good seats, my choice to pay a bit more but I like a good view.
And these are the days Leicester have played.

Saturday games - 10 (only 8 at 3pm)
Tuesday games - 6.
Wednesday games - 1.
Thursday games - 1.
Friday games - 4.
Sunday games - 1.

At least if we do get in the Premiership (looking less likely at the moment) is the fact we will be back to playing more games on Saturday at 3pm, and that graveyard slot on Match of the Day.

Anyway, just a rant, nothing more. I know perhaps that fans as old as me still get bemused by Thursday night games of football, or Saturday kick offs at 5.20pm, all designed to boost TV figures and keep the proper fans at home.
And while I won't moan about the odd midweek night match, I can understand the sheer frustration of hundreds of fans who can only make Saturday at 3pm, who buy their season ticket when the fixture lists come out, only to see the times and dates changed on a weekly basis.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 1
RE: When Saturday comes........ - 16/3/2013 11:52:22 AM   
Skiba

I prefer it when there are a load of games on Sunday. I play on Saturdays so only really ever get to see final score and never get to see the early kick offs. It's annoying when there's a good game on as usually only get to hear a bit of it in the car. Get to watch it today though as our game has been called off, so what would've been a quite healthy day, will now turn out to be a booze-fuelled session!

When I used to go to Chelsea, I only really remember Sat at 3pm...there were the odd mid-week games but never on Sunday.

Don't really like the Monday night game, as by then, I'm over football for a bit and could do with at least a day off!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 2
RE: When Saturday comes........ - 16/3/2013 12:02:34 PM   
Qwerty Norris

I sympathise dude & I do yearn for the traditional Saturday@3pm, but alas this is the reality of football selling its soul to satellite TV coverage - with the people who essentially sustain the clubs becoming increasingly an after thought. So much so that when the television money dries up some will be in absolute dire straits.

It's awkward in England for sure but it's even worse in Scotland - particularly for the level of disrespect towards the fans & the pitiful level of income that the televised games generate in comparison to down south. Because of television, we now have national cup semi finals kick off at 12:15! So assuming they make it, we're asking the likes of Aberdeen to head to Glasgow for a lunch time kick off on a Sunday. That is just absurd & unfair beyond reason.

The power of clubs have a lot to answer for this as well though, For example, their moaning to UEFA/FIFA has meant that we now have the ridiculous situation of international qualifiers being played on a Friday. For the Scotland Wales game on the 22nd, me & the folk I go with have had to move heaven & earth just to get the time off work, all in the name of the big sides being able to get their players back one day earlier.

I shouldn't be too condemning though as I've also got a sky sports subscription. Yet I still make the effort to follow my team (club & national) on a regular basis & it does infuriate me that the set-up is more accommodating to a channel schedule than the people who give the sport the actual lifeblood it needs in order to thrive. I fear this over-saturation will lead to a situation you already have in Italy with lots of games on TV yet half-empty stadiums everywhere.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: When Saturday comes........ - 16/3/2013 1:12:58 PM   
Goodfella

I'm not a season-ticket holder anymore due to living back down here but I have to say when I was it wasn't too much of a problem because unlike Leicester this season, most of our matches were on a Saturday afternoon at a kick-off of 3pm. Been to close to a hundred away matches as well and can probably count on one hand the amount of those weren't on a Saturday afternoon, the odd derby game which since it was London and I used public transport anyway wasn't really a problem, the odd game that was on Sky and the selection of Tuesday games that fill every football fan's schedule, regardless of which club you support, due in more recent times to the weight of cup fixtures (if your fan of a L1 or L2 team then you not only have the 46-game league to compete in, but also at least the first rounds of the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy).

I agree about the final game of the season though, much like the Saturday of a test match in cricket, it is one of the liveliest, atmospheric and highly enjoyable games of the season, regardless of the circumstances of your team's season, as I remember when we lost 2-0 to Blackpool in our final home game of the 2008-2009 championship season and were relegated to League One. Fancy dress (albeit not my thing but I admire some people's efforts), plenty of beer, old friends you haven't seen for awhile, the real feel of a 'going away' part almost especially if your a season ticket-holder who has become mates with those around you. I also find, and it may not be the same for everyone else, this is also the friendliest game in the stands. Far less cynicism and far less trouble before and after the match in my experience. You could almost, and I say almost, have both sets of supporters sitting together in some areas, in some games, it's that pleasant and light-hearted.

I paid 280 for my STH, which is still the same rate now, I stood up with the hardcore and louder fans (your chant-starters if you will) and it happened to be cheapest there anyway as it's the second tier in the North Stand behind the whole goal. The most expensive ticket is center-circle or behind the dugouts in the West Stand where you can pay 400 as an adult.

But, like I say, this season for example, with the exception of the Tuesday games, we've only had two games not played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, barring the holiday period as well of course, and that was the Friday night game against Palace and the current encounter with Millwall and most of our fans are only pissed off about the kick-off time today because with all the pubs closed around the ground they can't even go a little distance to get a beer beforehand because they're probably won't be enough time!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 4
RE: When Saturday comes........ - 16/3/2013 2:30:44 PM   
Goodfella

Having said all that though, jonson, I have an offer. Given the way we play at home on Saturday afternoons.....

FANCY A SWAP?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> When Saturday comes........ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI