Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Classics you would like to be remade.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Classics you would like to be remade. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Classics you would like to be remade. - 14/3/2013 10:17:04 AM   
borstal

I cant find a thread similar to this(I reckon theres one out there somewhere though).

Does anyone have a film they condsider a classic that they would like to see remade? Now before you beat my door down (oo-er) and burn me alive consider this. I recently read One Flew over the Cuckoos nest which was awesomely awesome and prompted me to rewatch the film which I hadn't seen for some years. Now the film was as powerful as I remember with great performances from the films two main characters (McMurphy and Ratched) and the supports equally good (Danny DeVitos best performance!). However the films narrative differs from the book in that its told purely from the Chiefs perspective, something that would be more challenging to do with a film.

After watching Foremans movie I can't stop thinking that theres a valid opportunity for a remake. From Bromdens point of view, the Combine and his mental illness and the impact McMurphy has on him. Gilliam would do a fine job I think.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 1
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 14/3/2013 10:54:18 AM   
DancingClown

I guess you'd need narration to make it work from Chief's point-of-view. I love the original but I admit that could be interesting. Trouble is that who on earth could fill Nicholson's shoes as MacMurphy?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 2
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 14/3/2013 11:06:32 AM   
matty_b

Sam Rockwell.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 3
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 14/3/2013 1:24:56 PM   
Cool Breeze

As much as i love the Rambo movies, i think a more faithful adaptation of the original novel of First Blood would make for an awesome movie if done right.

In the novel, Rambo kills a heck of a lot of innocent people and its quite extremeHes very much the villain of the piece.I dont ever see this movie happening though given the current controversy over gun violence.Heck, even back in the day, the film was seen as controversial despite the fact that Rambo doesnt actually kill anyone ( Ok the guy who falls out of the chopper had it coming ).

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 14/3/2013 2:10:24 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Does anyone have a film they condsider a classic that they would like to see remade?

Not really. The only time a remake is necessary is when the original had a really good idea but the execution sucked.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 5
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 14/3/2013 2:20:30 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

If they're deemed to be classics then surely that defeats the purpose that they should be remade.
Oh,who am I kidding.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 15/3/2013 6:50:22 AM   
ladybooger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

As much as i love the Rambo movies, i think a more faithful adaptation of the original novel of First Blood would make for an awesome movie if done right.

In the novel, Rambo kills a heck of a lot of innocent people and its quite extremeHes very much the villain of the piece.I dont ever see this movie happening though given the current controversy over gun violence.Heck, even back in the day, the film was seen as controversial despite the fact that Rambo doesnt actually kill anyone ( Ok the guy who falls out of the chopper had it coming ).

^. i would love to see first blood done properly and as detailed as the novel.

i hated the subsequent rambo movies which just pandered to american wish-fulfillment. the whole point of first blood was that rambo was this killing machine who DID NOT kill despite having the power and capability to do so. he was a machine created by the 'powers-that-be' who was discarded when no longer needed and left to fend for himself. the enemy was not the vietnamese but his very own people who disowned him when he returned to the very country he fought for. that was the point of rambo.

that he became the people's hero by blasting every foreigner in sight is nothing short of blasphemous.

< Message edited by ladybooger -- 15/3/2013 6:52:46 AM >

Read my blog - The Exorcist - Magical Fantasy http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/blogs.asp?UID=289447

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 7
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 20/3/2013 1:34:55 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Does anyone have a film they condsider a classic that they would like to see remade?

Not really. The only time a remake is necessary is when the original had a really good idea but the execution sucked.

Or if the original is, however great, an unfaithful adaptation of a novel (at least compared to whatever readaptation that follows). For example, I loved Fincher's Dragon Tattoo more than I did the Swedish one - which I still think is very good - as it felt a lot more like the book to me (and Rooney Mara was 100% perfect as Lisbeth in my opinion). I realise that many people disagree with me and I don't mean to start an off-topic argument here, but I'm just using that as an example that pretty much all great movies that some people will want to see remade will most likely be adaptations that leave a lot of room for reinterpretation.

As for your theory about great ideas and sucky execution, what immediately springs to my mind is the original Saw (haven't bothered to check out the sequels). Man, if Fincher got his hands on that movie, it would've been amazing. I guess you can tell I'm a fan, but to be fair it does seem like his sort of thing. Anyway, the movie sucked.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 8
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 20/3/2013 2:14:14 PM   
MonsterCat

I haven't read the book but for me there wasn't much difference between Fincher's flick and the original Swedish one. Well, apart from the extra coda at the end.

Rooney Mara was very good, though. Craig phoned it in.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 9
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 20/3/2013 2:47:56 PM   
Mr Gittes

On, yeah, they're not vastly different movies by any means. There's just a lot of the little things that I preferred in Fincher's adap...and some of the big things; namely the extra coda you mentioned, which, as heartbreaking as it is, is essential to the characters' behaviour in the other books/movies. Ironically, in the Swedish film they have a "Hollywood-type" ending, that reminded me of a Bourne movie. While that's not really a flaw in the film, it did royally piss me off.

I was actually rather impressed with Craig in it. I'd always pictured Gary Oldman as Mikael, but I guess even he's too old now. One of the things I will agree was better in the Swedish adap was the actor who played Bjurman. Now, in both movies he looks nothing like how he's described in the book, and Fincher's Bjurman was still an indescribably detestable bastard, but there was something creepier about the Swedish film version. Maybe it was his age.

Anyway, to somewhat bring things back on topic, I really hope Fincher readapts the other two Millenium books because I absolutely despised those Swedish adaps, and the books are fantastic. I know the criteria here is classics to be remade, but regardless those are the remakes/readaptations I really want to see.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 20/3/2013 8:02:30 PM   
Evolved As One

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Agreed. The Number 23 springs to mind in my opinion.

"They've got you where they want you..."

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 11
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 21/3/2013 9:46:28 AM   
sharkboy

There a a few occasions where a classic movie has taken liberties with its source material.  Yes, every movie does it to some degree, but all too often they abandon central themes or major elements.  No matter how good the original movie is, if I think it has played fast and loose with a favourite literary piece I see no problem with a remake that tries to redress the balance and get something closer to the book.  Then again, some times the director/writers made the right move; for example, I have no desire to see a Jaws remake in which Hooper fucks Ellen Brody and !!!POSS SPOILERS!!! doesn't survive the shark cage incident!!!!SPOILERS END!!!

Having said all that, there are two words that should strike fear into everyone who thinks this way: Total Recall.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Evolved As One)
Post #: 12
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 21/3/2013 6:45:20 PM   
Overmind

Or Conan the barbarian. Faithfull isnt always better.
cult classic I would se remade is The Black Hole :)

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 21/3/2013 8:18:41 PM   
directorscut

A remake of Jurassic Park where the park is open and filled with tourists.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 14
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 21/3/2013 9:22:45 PM   
ElephantBoy

Have not seen the remake of Tattoo yet, but seem to be one of few who thought the Swedish one stood up really well cineamatically. Am sure Rooney and Craig are good, but did really like the performances from the first film, and felt the character depth of the lead was really impressive.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 15
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 21/3/2013 9:57:16 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Have not seen the remake of Tattoo yet, but seem to be one of few who thought the Swedish one stood up really well cineamatically. Am sure Rooney and Craig are good, but did really like the performances from the first film, and felt the character depth of the lead was really impressive.

"one of the few"? Really? I often face heavy resistance when defending the Fincher adaptation. In any event, I still think the original is a cracking thriller and I would agree that it is cinematic, which is more than I can say for the two Swedish sequels (yuck). So, I'd say you actually have a fair bit of company there.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 16
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 27/3/2013 12:48:23 AM   
Mister Coe

I think I might have said something like this on a different thread, but IMO, Highlander could do with a reboot. And, yes, I know that there was supposed to be a Ryan Reynolds remake, but that seems to have bitten the dust...

It's regarded as an 80's classic but after watching it last time it was shown on TV... nah. Such a great concept, but the mixture of terrible accents, godawful SFX and narrative logic that seems to be pulled straight out of a 12-year-old idiots feverish mind..?

There's a fantastic sci-fi epic here, just waiting to be made.

OK, feel free to throw some abuse at me...

Say what now?

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 17
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 27/3/2013 10:00:58 PM   
Dr Wobble

Hi

Flash Gordon is aching for a remake. Can't believe nobody has done it yet.

Gordon's alive.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 18
RE: Classics you would like to be remade. - 28/3/2013 9:58:01 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

"one of the few"? Really? I often face heavy resistance when defending the Fincher adaptation. In any event, I still think the original is a cracking thriller and I would agree that it is cinematic, which is more than I can say for the two Swedish sequels (yuck). So, I'd say you actually have a fair bit of company there.

Fair point, it just seemed to be a standard reaction to the film at the time, that it had the look of a TV/Murder mystery whether than a film, but am pleased to hear that many share my praise for it.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Classics you would like to be remade. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI