Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 27/6/2013 7:24:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Only one movie left now people, oh what could it be! Will it be Dark Knight Rises, or Lincoln or....

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 241
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 27/6/2013 8:02:29 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

WHAT!!
John Carter (of Mars) not first!
This thread is dead to me now.Dead!.

quote:

Only one movie left now people, oh what could it be! Will it be Dark Knight Rises, or Lincoln or....

..or Wreck it Ralph

Post #: 242
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 27/6/2013 9:46:37 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

2. John Carter (3D)

Where to start? John Carter is one of the best space opera science fiction epics ever made! There is said it, so it must be fact (in my head at least). For me John Carter will always be tinged with sadness. Sadness that Disney didn't get behind it nearly as much as they could/ should have and sadness that (at least in this permutation) it will never go on to become a big franchise, like it deserves. I am also sad that it took 100+ years to bring JC to the screen and the result was one of the biggest money losers in the history of cinema!

Now whenever I talk to anyone about John Carter it quickly becomes a frustrating experience. OK I know it's not their fault really, it's Disneys, but how is it that no one has heard of this movie? Literally any time I mention it people look at me with a blank face. Then I have to go through the whole rigmarole of explaining the history of the books, how they inspired Star Wars etc. how they were trying for years to get a movie made out of it and how it was marketed really badly so it flopped. I have to put special emphasis on the fact that it flopped due to the marketing, and not the quality of the finished product! Now I know that out of those who did see it, not everyone was impressed and a lot of movie fans turned their noses up at it, but it does exactly what it sets out to do, deliver a fantastic old fashioned adventure story without overstaying its welcome (credits roll before the 2hr 10min mark).

2012 was not a great year for Taylor Kitsch. Prior to 'the year that will go down in infamy' in the Kitsch household, I had only seen him in The Covenant (love Renny Harlin movies, but this one kind of sucked) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine (hilariously terrible movie, Kitsch tries his best) so I had no real expectations. What he brings to the character is a world weary gruffness that fits the jaded Carter very well. Perhaps his failing might be in not injecting a degree more humour into the character, just a tad would have made a difference and perhaps helped the character connect with audiences better. For the record, I love the way he plays Carter, but a lot of people seemed to cite him as one of the problems with the film, so I try my best to understand that. Lynn Collins is just fabulous as the Princess (I almost said titular, but we all know what happened there) and gives a really wonderful, rounded performance. Not only is she staggeringly beautiful (also evidenced in X-Men Origins: Wolverine) but she is believable and tough, with plenty of energy. I think it's safe to say she is as good as anyone could be playing a Princess from (of?) Mars. The rest of the supporting cast delivers the goods, Mark Strong Dominic West, Ciaran Hinds and Willem Dafoe all do good work here, with other supporting players also being good. It's a shame that James Purefoy has such a miniscule role, as he is much more suited to a leading man type role, but he's always a welcome face.

The direction is good from Andrew Stanton. Only recently have I gotten into animation, so I haven't seen any of his previous work (for which he seems to receive plenty of praise) but I think in terms of his skills, he made a very successful transition into live action filmmaking. Box office receipts may beg to differ, but like Brad Bird, he can direct a large scale picture with aplomb. The only thing John Carter really lacks (apart from a more epic title) is perhaps one or two more extended action set pieces. The key action scenes are all over very quickly, and for someone like me, this stuff is the highlight of the movie, so I would have perhaps preferred maybe just a little bit more. There are plenty of great sequences though. With an early battle in the skies where Carter first reveals/ discovers his powers being memorable, along with the (very Attack of the Clones esque) tournament scene with the white apes.

The real highlight in terms of action, and the scene where I think Stanton really gets to show his chops is in the middle of the movie. John Carter is being chased down by a tribe of Warhoons and rather than run, he opts to stay and fight. His loyal companion Woolah (the coolest dog ever, seriously why was Woolah not featured in the marketing more? He's amazing!) stays by his side, despite Carter trying to make him leave. So Carter and Woolah take on this angry hoard. What makes the scene so amazing is that it is intercut with footage of Cavalryman carter returning home to find his house burnt down and his wife and child dead. The sequences cut back and forth between the chaos of the alien battle on Mars and carter burying his family. It's so brilliantly done I can't praise it enough and it really blows me away every time I see it. This is one of those scenes that only exists because of the Director and it is very unique and memorable. I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best scenes of 2012.

It is also worth mentioning that John Carter offers a fantastic 3D presentation at home. Post converted, rather than native, it's a very pleasing and effective conversion. The 3D version is my version of choice, when deciding how to watch the movie. I know there are plenty of 3D haters out there, so fortunately, John Carter looks staggering in 2D also, with amazing FX, great locations and some of the best set and production design of last year. The movie has a very cool ending, setting things up nicely for the franchise that will never come to be.

I could go on for ages about the title of the movie, and how (pretty much literally) anything would have been better than just 'John Carter'. I mean 'John Carter of Mars' or 'A Princess of Mars' are such wonderfully evocative titles and really get the imagination going. Also they also, y'know, actually give people an insight into what kind of movie it is! Disney made some very foolish mistakes with the marketing and promotion of this movie.

I recommend John Carter to any and everyone I can (after I've done my spiel about the history of it all!). To me, it is the perfect space adventure and I get something from it every time I watch it. It is far better than any of the Star Wars prequels and deserves to be held high as a modern example of the Space adventure/ opera done right. I just wish it had been more successful so we could all be enjoying sequels for years to come, as this is a very rich universe with a lot of cinematic potential.

Best Scene: John Carter vs. Warhoons/ burying his family

A film that didnt really deserve to become the biggest flop in history, nevertheless i have to strongly disagree with your write up of the film DK.

Its a very average movie really.One of the films biggest flaws is its leading man.Taylor Kitsch just isnt leading man material.Quite simply hes doesnt have the charisma to carry a big fx laden film like this.Isnt Carter supposed to be a bad ass warrior by the way? Kitsch just looks like he went on a no food diet! I cant help but think that i would have enjoyed this film more if someone like say Josh Holloway had played Carter.

The action in this movie honestly isnt very good.They are very few and far between and as you said, are over far too quickly.The scene that you mention where Carter takes on all those beasts by himself was actually quite laughable and so melodramatic ( Kitschs acting is a lot to blame here ).

The plot.Its only been just over a year since iv seen the film and i cant really remember what Mark Strongs character was all about and what his people were after.The script is just pure gobbledygook.

Finally, i have to disagree with the popular opinion that this flopped due to bad marketing.While it certainly didnt help, i believe this film didnt connect with audiences because quite simply....IT WASNT VERY GOOD.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 243
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 29/6/2013 6:01:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I wouldn't have it higher than The Hobbit (obviously ) but I loved John Carter. I'd love to see about a dozen sequels and it saddens me that there won't be any

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 244
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 1/7/2013 12:11:12 PM   
Dr Lenera

John Carter was a lot of fun and certainly didn't deserve to tank. I actually preferred it to The Hobbit!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 245
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 3/7/2013 1:59:15 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

John Carter was a lot of fun and certainly didn't deserve to tank. I actually preferred it to The Hobbit!

We are in agreement then! JC was a fantastic film and it needs more of a following.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 246
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 3/5/2014 1:33:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So I suppose I might as well finish this off

1. Battleship (Peter Berg)

Obviously this is some time after the fact now. I write this almost two years after seeing Battleship in the cinema, and guess what? I still love it just as much! Battleship is easily not only my favourite movie of 2012 but one of my all time favourite action movies. For me it just has it all and is a rare case of a movie made exactly how I would like it to be. battleship on first viewing always felt to me like a 90's blockbuster movie. I mean this in terms of its sensibilities and the pacing and the way it unfolds. It has a very light tone which works well but director Berg expertly meshes some of the goofier moments with decent dramatic parts. Taylor Kitsch is great in the lead role playing someone who starts out an irresponsible jerk and ends up stepping up to the plate to take responsibility and prove his worth, who'd have thought! I like the rest of the supporting cast too, from Liam Neeson's brief turn as the Admiral (it really is little more than a glorified cameo), Brooklyn Decker's sexy turn as Kitsch's girlfriend who gets involved in plenty of action herself, Alexander Skarsgard as Kitsch's brother and Tadanobu Asano, Rhianna, John Tui and Jesse Plemons in effective supporting turns. I particularly liked Asano and Tui's characters. The way this movie looks in incredible, loads of bright sunny sequences set at sea give a great sense of scope to the movie. The action plays out on a huge canvas on a regular basis and this is one of the things that I really enjoy about the movie. I enjoyed Berg's The Kingdom and he did well with the action in that but Battleship shows that he was made to do this kind of movie. I wouldn't have expected that he'd be able to deliver such a brilliantly made piece of blockbuster mayhem. It takes a lot of cues from Transformers but it ditches all the stuff about those movies that doesn't work. On one hand you could call it Transformers lite, but I think this is one of its key strengths. it gives the audience that huge blockbuster experience but minus some of Michael Bay's more questionable directorial choices. There's no racism or sexism here! The visual FX are pretty flawless, at least in terms of the environments, explosions and ships. The aliens themselves do show their CG origins when the helmets come off but I love their design and I love the brief glimpses we get of them and suggestions at their history. Like Battle: Los Angeles, you don't really find out as much about the aliens as you would like, and had there been a sequel to this, we probably would have had more information, but Battleship gives us just enough to enjoy. I like that the aliens in this don't actually seem actively hostile and that the movie could be read as the humans being the bad guys. It's an interesting way of looking at things. The film gives us plenty of great hero moments and 'hell yeah' shots, this is another thing that Berg really nailed, those fist pumping moments that really excite. The score and soundtrack is perfect too, with some of the best sound FX going. Really deep basses and sound FX are used for the alien ships and it sounds great in hi definition. A 3D version would have been great, so many shots in the movie look as if they are designed for 3D but hey, I can't have it all. I'm delighted with how Battleship turned out, not so much with its reception but it does seem to me that most people I talk to who have seen it after its critical mauling and box failure seems to say that they enjoyed it a lot more than they thought they would. Sadly the result of its lack of success means I doubt Berg will make another movie like this for a while. I haven't seen his recent Lone Survivor but it did look good. 2012 was not a great year for Tailor Kitsch in the end but it's funny to me that this actor I had not seen much of before had the lead role in my two favourite movies of that year. Battleship will always sit proud in my collection and it's a great movie to stick on every few months, crank the sound up and enjoy the ride. I grew up on blockbuster movies like this and I feel like Battleship is almost the culmination of that passion, a movie that nails everything I love about large scale spectacles.

Post #: 247
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 4/5/2014 1:08:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 248
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 4/5/2014 12:13:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I finished it just for you Gimli! Didn't want to leave you disappointed!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 249
RE: DK's top 15: No. 1. Battleship - 4/5/2014 12:14:40 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Looking back on this list I think some of my placements may have changed, on reflection. I can't believe how short it is compared to my 2013 list. I must have seen much fewer movies in 2012.

Post #: 250
RE: DK's top 15: No. 1. Battleship - 5/5/2014 10:28:10 AM   
Chronicle

Battleship is for me one of the best comedy movies ever. I respect everyone's opinion but I don't see how anyone would like this movie the way you describe it. The story is so lame and the acting is horrible. The veterans showing up to save the day is probably the most cringeworthy scene in the history of cinema.

Post #: 251
RE: DK's top 15: No. 1. Battleship - 5/5/2014 7:46:01 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Ah crap you've reminded me Chronicle, I forgot to mention the scene where the veterans turn up. That's honestly one of my favourite scenes in the movie and was the icing on the cake for me. It was so daft yet so much fun and just a perfect way to lead into the finale. Getting the Missouri ready for battle all set to AC/DC's Thunderstruck was just perfect for me. Honestly!

I love large scale movies and I love 90's action movies and Battleship really nailed those 90's sensibilities to me. I get that many hate it or can't stand it or think it's a joke, but to me it's a wonderful example of a fun blockbuster movie. I would put it up there with Speed in terms of being solely a fun ride to switch your brain off and enjoy. I really don't think the acting is horrible at all, I think everyone is really good in their roles.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 5/5/2014 7:47:04 PM >

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 252
RE: DK's top 15: No. 1. Battleship - 10/5/2014 9:32:02 PM   
rich

Looking back 2012 was a lot better than 2013 to me. Should rewatch Chronicle myself.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 253
RE: DK's top 15: No. 1. Battleship - 12/5/2014 1:40:09 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Looking back 2012 was a lot better than 2013 to me. Should rewatch Chronicle myself.

Although it was Battleship we were talking about, Chronicle was the individual! Although yes, Chronicle is always worth a rewatch, awesome movie. Really like Dane De Haan.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 254
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 12/5/2014 1:50:13 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Hi

Did you ever see Lincoln ?.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 255
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 12/5/2014 1:53:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Hi

I'm afraid not mate, i haven't seen it. I'm not opposed to watching it, but i know it will be a really long time before i do.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 256
RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) - 12/5/2014 1:56:55 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Hi

I'm afraid not mate, i haven't seen it. I'm not opposed to watching it, but i know it will be a really long time before i do.

Hi there, big fan of the film it's well worth your time.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 257
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: DK's top 15: No. 2. John Carter (3D) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI