Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

DK's Favourite Movies of 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 - 10/3/2013 9:05:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So i was planning on doing a 'Donovan Kurtwood's favourite movies of 2012' list at the end of the year, however the problem i had was that there were still plenty of 2012 releases that i really wanted to see, that i hadn't seen yet. Unfortunately i don't get to go to the cinema as much as i'd like to, and 2012 was a year where i actually attended more than i normally do, yet there were still plenty of releases i missed. As we are now in March, almost all of the 2012 releases are now out on Blu Ray, however there are still some i haven't seen (Life of Pi being a big one for example). I figured i might as well start the list now. Now there';s no way i can do a top ten as there were more than 10 movies that i want to talk about. I wasn't sure whether to do the list in descending order or just do a general list without reference to any kind of preference. I will attempt to list movies in some order of how i enjoyed them, but like with so many things, my favour changes regularly.

I will say though that 2012 really blew me away in terms of movies. I honestly cannot remember such a great year for movies, and it refuelled my passion.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 2/4/2013 1:02:02 PM >

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!
Post #: 1
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 10/3/2013 9:57:37 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So i decided that before i do the proper countdown i'll do a list of movies that i really enjoyed in 2012. Movies that didn't necessarily make the final grade but were very enjoyable in their own right.

Who's looking forward to this list?

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 10/3/2013 9:58:43 PM >

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 10/3/2013 10:06:00 PM   
Rebel scum

I want to know how high Battleship is.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 3
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 10/3/2013 10:07:28 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Who's looking forward to this list?

Me, in a weirdly apprehensive sort of way. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 4
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 10/3/2013 10:10:51 PM   
MonsterCat

Will there be any Haneke and Bela Tarr?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 10/3/2013 10:18:20 PM   
elab49

Guessing from the DVD forum - Taken 2, Battleship, John Carter, Avengers?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 11/3/2013 12:17:34 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Very, very high I hope!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 7
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 11/3/2013 1:14:32 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Very, very high I hope!

I want to know how high you'd have to be to enjoy Battleship.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 8
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 11/3/2013 8:16:13 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

I think in your heart you already know

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 9
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 11/3/2013 8:19:05 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Will there be any Haneke and Bela Tarr?

I can't promise you that, but i can promise you appearances from Auteurs such as Berg, West and Liebersman to name a few!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 11/3/2013 8:19:48 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Very, very high I hope!

I want to know how high you'd have to be to enjoy Battleship.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 11
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 11/3/2013 8:20:18 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Guessing from the DVD forum - Taken 2, Battleship, John Carter, Avengers?

You'll have to wait and see Elab!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 12/3/2013 11:35:14 AM   
ElephantBoy

Can't wait, just give me a minute to go and get high so I can fully enjoy

Post #: 13
Taken 2 (good but not great) - 14/3/2013 1:15:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So let's kick things off with the movies that i enjoyed, but didn't make the top 15! So just to be clear, the official list has not started yet!

Close But No Cigar

TAKEN 2

Taken is a movie i love dearly so i was understandably looking forward to the sequel a lot. I was a bit disappointed that Pierre Morel wasn't turning but i was hopeful that Oliver Megaton could deliver a fun movie. It could go either way as i enjoyed Transporter 3 but didn't enjoy Columbiana. Taken 2 is a mixed bag overall. it's nowhere as bad as the general reviews seem to suggest and actually has a lot going for it. It just perhaps needed a bit more refinement.

So to get the initial problem out of the way, yes Taken is a movie that never needed a sequel. However with the huge success, it was always on the cards. I guess they've continued it in a way that makes sense, although perhaps a movie following Neeson's character on another assignment would have been more interesting, even if they would've had to rethink the 'Taken' title. So Taken 2 follows on story wise after the first one and continues things quite nicely. I think one of the things you'll notice first about the sequel is that this seems to be somewhat of a different Neeson in this one. He seems a bit out of shape for want of a better expression. This unfortunately leads to some very choppy editing during the hand to hand combat scenes, obviously in an attempt to hide stunt doubles/ limitations. The worst offender is a brief hand to hand fight early on in a courtyard that is almost incomprehensible. Fortunately everything generally improves after that, with subsequent scenes being much better. It's still a lot of fun to see Neeson kick ass but being aware that maybe he isn't in the best condition (or is hiding an injury) is just slightly distracting. Famke Janssen and Maggie Grace are back with increased roles (both very welcome!), with Grace's character getting to undertake a bit more action this time around.

I think Taken 2 could have been a lot better, especially after the first movie. It's not like this was rushed out, as it's been four years, so i'm sure they could have given it a bit more work so the story would have been more interesting. Megaton can deliver good action scenes (Transporter 3) and the action is good here, it's just not great, or not as good as the first in terms of the fight sequences. I would recommend the extended cut over the theatrical as the theatrical is absolutely ridiculous in terms of sanitising the fight scenes. In the theatrical you literally cannot tell how Neeson has taken some guys out, so extended cut all the way here.

Taken 2 was a huge success so a 3rd one is very likely, though lord knows how they'll stretch the current events out even further. I always think producers write themselves into a corner by continuing a singular story like this, as it would be weird to do a stand alone 3rd movie, after part 2 follows on so closely from 1. We will have to see! So not an amazing movie by a long shot, but it's still a lot of fun and the locations in Istanbul look gorgeous.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 14/3/2013 1:40:38 PM >

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 14
RE: 2012: An Awesome Year For Movies! (with DK) - 14/3/2013 1:19:35 PM   
elab49

I think Taken 3 is where the neighbour's third cousin goes missing and calls for rescue by the pet hamster.

Hamsters are hardcore.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 15
Taken 2 (Good but not great) - 14/3/2013 1:31:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think Taken 3 is where the neighbour's third cousin goes missing and calls for rescue by the pet hamster.

Hamsters are hardcore.

I own two of them

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 14/3/2013 1:40:57 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Taken 2 (Good but not great) - 14/3/2013 1:52:39 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

If John Carter isn't first then I think I might just lose the will to live.

Post #: 17
RE: Taken 2 (good but not great) - 14/3/2013 3:10:49 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So let's kick things off with the movies that i enjoyed, but didn't make the top 15! So just to be clear, the official list has not started yet!

Close But No Cigar

TAKEN 2

Taken is a movie i love dearly so i was understandably looking forward to the sequel a lot. I was a bit disappointed that Pierre Morel wasn't turning but i was hopeful that Oliver Megaton could deliver a fun movie. It could go either way as i enjoyed Transporter 3 but didn't enjoy Columbiana. Taken 2 is a mixed bag overall. it's nowhere as bad as the general reviews seem to suggest and actually has a lot going for it. It just perhaps needed a bit more refinement.

So to get the initial problem out of the way, yes Taken is a movie that never needed a sequel. However with the huge success, it was always on the cards. I guess they've continued it in a way that makes sense, although perhaps a movie following Neeson's character on another assignment would have been more interesting, even if they would've had to rethink the 'Taken' title. So Taken 2 follows on story wise after the first one and continues things quite nicely. I think one of the things you'll notice first about the sequel is that this seems to be somewhat of a different Neeson in this one. He seems a bit out of shape for want of a better expression. This unfortunately leads to some very choppy editing during the hand to hand combat scenes, obviously in an attempt to hide stunt doubles/ limitations. The worst offender is a brief hand to hand fight early on in a courtyard that is almost incomprehensible. Fortunately everything generally improves after that, with subsequent scenes being much better. It's still a lot of fun to see Neeson kick ass but being aware that maybe he isn't in the best condition (or is hiding an injury) is just slightly distracting. Famke Janssen and Maggie Grace are back with increased roles (both very welcome!), with Grace's character getting to undertake a bit more action this time around.

I think Taken 2 could have been a lot better, especially after the first movie. It's not like this was rushed out, as it's been four years, so i'm sure they could have given it a bit more work so the story would have been more interesting. Megaton can deliver good action scenes (Transporter 3) and the action is good here, it's just not great, or not as good as the first in terms of the fight sequences. I would recommend the extended cut over the theatrical as the theatrical is absolutely ridiculous in terms of sanitising the fight scenes. In the theatrical you literally cannot tell how Neeson has taken some guys out, so extended cut all the way here.

Taken 2 was a huge success so a 3rd one is very likely, though lord knows how they'll stretch the current events out even further. I always think producers write themselves into a corner by continuing a singular story like this, as it would be weird to do a stand alone 3rd movie, after part 2 follows on so closely from 1. We will have to see! So not an amazing movie by a long shot, but it's still a lot of fun and the locations in Istanbul look gorgeous.

I don't know DK how could you leave that masterpiece Taken 2 out of your list, just shocking!

Post #: 18
RE: Men in Black 3 3D (need to try harder) - 14/3/2013 5:57:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Close But No Cigar

Men in Black 3 (3D)

I remember (like Iím sure many of you do) when Men in Black first came out in summer of 1997. It was HUGE and really impressed everyone, going on to become a big hit. Everyone loved the style of comedy, the pairing of Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones and all the quirky alien designs. It was, in a way, a successor to Ghostbusters and had Ďfranchiseí written all over it. Now I enjoyed MIB for the FX and aliens etc. but when the first movie came out I never really got into it that much. I actually enjoyed the sequel (at the time) much more, when it came out in 2002. I mean Men in Black 2 is far from a great movie, but it had more action, FX and aliens than the first and for me, enough visual ingenuity to make it a movie worth watching. I think overall the problem for me with the MIB franchise is that Iíve never found that many of the jokes funny really. A lot of the time it feels like Smith is really trying to squeeze a laugh out of everything he does and most of the time, the material isnít up to scratch.

This brings us to the belated Men in Black 3, this time round in fantastic 3D. I thought this had Ďflopí written all over it, however it went to make some decent money, potentially guaranteeing us a fourth instalment. So what did I enjoy about MIB 3? Well Iím sure you can guess, the FX, the designs, the action etc. As I have said, these for me are the strong points of this franchise. Strangely for a comedy, I donít think I laughed once during MIB 3 (a bad sign for a comedy) and as a result I would be marking this movie down big time for that, however it did win me over in its visual presentation at least. The 3D is very strong and well done here. MIB 3 was not filmed in 3D and was converted after the fact. However, like The Avengers and Titanic, itís a stellar 3D conversion and looks better than a lot of native 3D titles. Itís obvious that 3D was in mind during filming as the action scenes in particular are well staged to make the most of the effect.

The villain (Boris the Animal, played by Jemaine Clement) is a lot of fun and probably my favourite out of the MIB movies. Heís just so weird and different. He also has a little alien that crawls into a space in his hand and fires spines, that was pretty cool. I think the time travel idea was great, although I wish perhaps that theyíd gone a little further with it and exploited the concept a bit more. Of course the big positive with this movie, that no one can ignore is the inspired casting of Josh Brolin as young Agent K. Brolin is fantastic at channelling Tommy Lee Jones and he gives the performance of the movie. Considering how TLJ always seems half asleep these days, Iíd actually rather have Brolin back for the next movie. His performance really adds a lot to the movie, and he delivers a lot of the best moments. Also worthy of mention is Michael Stuhlbarg as Griffin. His character is essentially a rip off of Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen but he provides great support and is a really unique character in the MIB movies.

MIB 3 is worth it for the action alone though. I loved the first time jump and it has quickly become one of my 3D demo scenes when I show the tech off to friends and family. Itís really exhilarating. Also great is the unicycle chase and the finale at Cape Canaveral. Both are great action sequences and even better in 3D.

I really think there is a lot of potential for a truly great MIB movie, I just fear thereís a chance that we may never get it. MIB 3 does exactly what it says on the tin (except make you laugh) but perhaps next time they could be a bit more daring. We shall see.

Post #: 19
RE: Taken 2 (good but not great) - 14/3/2013 5:58:43 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Close But No Cigar

TAKEN 2

I don't know DK how could you leave that masterpiece Taken 2 out of your list, just shocking!

Ha, you know you loved it! I was honest about it i guess, i was a little disappointed, but it still delivers the goods mostly.

Post #: 20
RE: Taken 2 (Good but not great) - 14/3/2013 5:59:30 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

If John Carter isn't first then I think I might just lose the will to live.

Stay with me! Hopefully you won't be losing the will with this list!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 21
RE: Taken 2 (Good but not great) - 15/3/2013 2:11:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I liked Taken 2 an awful lot. Not so much MiB 3 but that also had its moments.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 22
RE: Taken 2 (Good but not great) - 15/3/2013 3:16:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

I would say Battleship wont be number 1 on this list as it committed the cardinal sin of not being released in 3D.Thats a big no no in DK's book.

I'd say Dredd Will make the top spot.

What I really want to know is whether DK prefered Lincoln over Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 23
RE: Taken 2 (Good but not great) - 15/3/2013 4:54:21 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

What I really want to know is whether DK prefered Lincoln over Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter

They're both awesome!

Much more better!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 24
DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 - 2/4/2013 1:00:27 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Another that didn't quite make the list:

Lockout

This seems to be a bit of a forgotten one. Or maybe itís just that no one liked it! This is a fun sci fi actioner that borrows very heavily from John Carpenters Escape movies. The lead character Snow (played superbly by Guy Pearce) is for all intents and purposes Snake Plissken, and the movie plays out very much as a homage to those movies and the action sci-fi subgenre. So the story goes that the Presidentís daughter has been taken captive by the inmates aboard a futuristic space prison, and itís up to our reluctant hero Snow to save the day. What Lockout lacks in originality, it makes up for with snappy one-liners, fun performances and some good action. Despite a sequence very early on featuring some of the worst CGI to grace a major release in a long time, the FX and action are very well done. It makes you wish that a bit more of the budget could have been afforded to the bike chase at the start, as the sequence is so badly rendered it takes you right out of the movie. Itís a shame as the sequence is actually staged pretty well.

As I have mentioned, Pearce gives a fantastic lead performance and he really owns the movie. Without his presence, Lockout would be a lot interesting. However, itís not solely Pearceís show, as the movie features great support from Maggie Grace as the presidentís daughter. She plays the role very well, requiring her to go through a bit of a physical and emotional transformation during the course of the film. Another standout is Joseph Gilgun as Hydell, an unhinged inmate and the brother of main antagonist Alex (played by Vincent Regan). Gilgun delivers a real off the wall performance and along with Pearce, really sticks in mind after the movie has ended. For good measure we also Peter Stormare and Lenny James offering solid support in slightly smaller roles.

Lockout never sets out to be anything other than what it is, a fun ride. Given the nature of the movie, it would have perhaps benefitted from being a little more violent, or at least a little more graphic with its on screen bloodletting. This movie is crying out for an 18 certificate. The ending could also have done with a bit more punch, as it is ever so slightly flat. Snow is a great character though and I would love to see more adventures with him.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 2/4/2013 1:02:23 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 - 2/4/2013 1:04:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Bear with me all, i will be starting the proper list very soon, just a few more to get out the way first!

Post #: 26
RE: Taken 2 (Good but not great) - 2/4/2013 4:02:08 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

I would say Battleship wont be number 1 on this list as it committed the cardinal sin of not being released in 3D.Thats a big no no in DK's book.

I'd say Dredd Will make the top spot.

Wait, but wasn't Dredd supposed to have been, you know, actually quite decent?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27
RE: DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 - 2/4/2013 11:51:34 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

It makes you wish that a bit more of the budget could have been afforded to the bike chase at the start, as the sequence is so badly rendered it takes you right out of the movie. Itís a shame as the sequence is actually staged pretty well.

That was one of the funniest scenes of last year for me, it just looked so bad

Much more better!

Post #: 28
RE: DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 - 3/4/2013 1:51:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Resident Evil: Retribution

I enjoyed the heck out of this, I just canít justify putting on the actual best of list, however it came very close. Being the action and 3D junkie that I am, there was never any doubt about me enjoying this movie, it was just a question of how much I enjoyed it. Retribution is completely action packed and it barely slows down for dialogue or character development (in all honesty, there is no character development). This exists purely as a showcase for the 3D and the action set pieces. Itís actually quite difficult to do a write up for something like this, as my love for it basically boils down to Ďthe action and 3D were awesome!í Other than that, thereís not really a huge amount that I can say. Milla Jovovich was Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez was Michelle Rodriguez and so on and so forth. It always disappointed me that this series of movies chose not to follow the games a bit more closely, but it is what it is. I believe after the 6th movie we will get a full reboot, so thatís fine with me. I wish there was more that I could say here but there really isnít, Resident Evil: retribution delivers fantastic action sequences and great visuals, I suppose the music is quite good too (although generally really not my kind of thing).

Post #: 29
RE: DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 - 3/4/2013 1:54:09 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Snow White and the Huntsman

There was a lot of potential for this to be really something special, but it did fall a little short unfortunately. It serves as a testament to fantastic production design, costumes, sets, cinematography and visual FX, which are the areas where this movie excels. I enjoyed it for the most part, it just lacks a certain something in my opinion.

Whilst Iím no Twilight fan, I do have a soft spot for Kristen Stewart. She does quite good here as Snow White. Stewart will never be the most interesting or dynamic actress in the world, but she does a good English accent and looks very pretty at least, so that works for me on some level! Hemsworth is good as the titular Huntsman. As well know from Thor, he can do brooding very well and he pulls it off here with aplomb. The dwarfs are fun in their own way, and the casting is absolutely inspired. Itís just a shame that the writers neglected to give them any good or memorable lines of dialogue. Itís a waste of a great troupe of actors if you cast them like this, then provide them with a flat script, however that is what has happened. So once the guessing game of who is playing each dwarf has been completed, youíre left with a sense of deflation as they donít really have anything interesting or funny to add to the proceedings. Charlize Theron is brilliant as the witch, and provides the best performance. She is cold and calculating and quite heartless, definitely a high point of the movie.

As I have mentioned, the visuals is where this movie really shines, and Snow White and the Huntsman features some of the best visual FX of the year. The visuals range from an infected forest, to an idyllic one, with the CGI creating some astounding images. The real highlight of the movie for me though is the brief encounter with the troll. I was hoping he may have popped up during the finale, but it wasnít to be. I hadnít actually heard of the director of this movie before, which is fairly rare but I was quite impressed with his handle on the visuals. Iíll be interested to see where they choose to go with the sequel, if it does come to fruition.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> DK's Favourite Movies of 2012 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI