Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Violent films which imply audience is complicit?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Violent films which imply audience is complicit? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Violent films which imply audience is complicit? - 9/3/2013 11:43:22 PM   
Padraic Coffey

I was trying to think of films that deliberately confront their audiences and imply they are complicit in the violence taking place on screen. Two obvious examples are John McNaughton's Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) and Michael Haneke's Funny Games (1997).

In Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, the two main characters watch a videotape of themselves murdering a family. We see most of the scene from their POV, observing the television, so that we too are simply watching this footage of murder.

In Funny Games, confrontational messages are made to the audience many times on why they are still watching the terrorism of a family by two men. At one point, one of the men turns and winks at the camera.

Can anyone suggest other examples of this phenomenon?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 9/3/2013 11:49:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Violent films which imply audience is complicit? - 9/3/2013 11:50:55 PM   
elab49

Sorry for the edit. I'm afraid Empire operates rules wrt which images can be shown on the site. There is a certificate limit eg but it's often left if's an innocuous shot from, say, an 18 or a poster image.

The rules on images can be found in the rule thread in the Empire Online sub-forum.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Padraic Coffey)
Post #: 2
RE: Violent films which imply audience is complicit? - 11/3/2013 12:25:27 PM   
Discodez

The other bit in Funny Games is where after "betting" the family they won't survive until morning, he turns to the camera and says "you want them to survive, don't you?".

Still sends shills down my spine thinking about it.

I don't know that there are many films like that in that sense that so directly ask the audience about their complicity in what's happening on screen in that way, most of those breaking the 4th wall moments usually happen in comedies to share a joke with the audience rather than to ask them "what the fuck are you watching this for?" it's not a popular trick to pull on the audience in anything other than comedy.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
Kick-Ass? - 20/3/2013 8:22:43 PM   
Evolved As One

The reference to Sunset Boulevard at the climax of Kick-Ass? Quirky, but still dark.

< Message edited by Evolved As One -- 20/3/2013 8:23:03 PM >

"They've got you where they want you..."

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Violent films which imply audience is complicit? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI