Small Significance's

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Small Significance's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small Significance's - 9/3/2013 12:43:20 AM   
kumar

Ok, so im back from a terrible shift at work. Ive been stressed out all week, I have a mouth ulcer, and Ive just finished watching the last hour of Forrest Gump. So im pretty much an emotional wreck right now.

FG is an awesome movie, I caught it fully a few months ago and understood far more of the plot points (and emotional punches). This thread I suppose is for minor things in movies that make you question the significance. I did a quick search, but was able to find nothing, so here is my question....(small spoilers for Forrest Gump)

In FG, Lt Dan has his legs amputated. He goes through a self loathing bitter period, returns to help Gump, and has a lovely "making peace" scene as he swims in a calm sea. Near the end, at Forrest and Jennys wedding, he appears as a guest with new prosthetic legs, but in the ceremony, he is seen stood at the back as the only one standing without a chair.

Now this could be seen as Lt Dan still being a gentleman to his own fiance, but it just doesnt make sense. He still has no legs so surely someone would give a seat. And then even then, Forrest has him in high regard as a friend, so why would he not ensure he was seated. Or is it simply a case of Lt Dan being proud and stubborn (even though at this point in time, he doesnt come across that way).

Any suggestions? And any of your own little points?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5
Post #: 1
RE: Small Significance's - 9/3/2013 12:54:26 AM   
UTB

Perhaps they made him stand at the back so as to appear significant in the shot?

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 2
RE: Small Significance's - 9/3/2013 3:14:34 PM   
kumar

Oh ok. I clearly over thought that one!

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: Small Significance's - 11/3/2013 1:03:03 PM   
Chief

I thought it was the type of prosthetics he had, that they didn't bend. If he was sitting his legs would have stuck out at a right angle.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 4
RE: Small Significance's - 11/3/2013 1:21:45 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Didn't he have metal legs? ie not prosthetic. I swear there's a reference about it being material used for rockets or satellites. Those legs (as has been said) definitely don't bend, they would have been stuck straight out!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 5
RE: Small Significance's - 11/3/2013 3:34:38 PM   
Chief

Yeah, that's what I meant!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 6
RE: Small Significance's - 11/3/2013 6:24:20 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

yeah sorry mate

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 7
RE: Small Significance's - 11/3/2013 6:44:45 PM   
kumar

Ah my bad then, i forgot he had above knee amputations. Alllll makes sense now.

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 8
RE: Small Significance's - 11/3/2013 10:29:45 PM   
Hood_Man

"So guys, do you think there's a deeper significance to the character's portrayal in this scene?"

"Nah, his legs don't bend."

"Oh."

Well colour me disappointed

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 9
RE: Small Significance's - 12/3/2013 12:11:52 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

"So guys, do you think there's a deeper significance to the character's portrayal in this scene?"

"Nah, his legs don't bend."

"Oh."

Well colour me disappointed

Not me, it turned out much more amusing than I expected! haha

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Small Significance's - 12/3/2013 11:50:28 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Ah my bad then, i forgot he had above knee amputations. Alllll makes sense now.

Well I hope you can sleep better at night now. Which will help your stress levels, which in turn will get rid of that mouth ulcer (they're related by the way).

Empire forums - good for your health.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 11
RE: Small Significance's - 12/3/2013 1:32:05 PM   
Moorish

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Oh ok. I clearly over thought that one!

I'd say...

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 12
RE: Small Significance's - 12/3/2013 3:42:50 PM   
kumar

I was hoping this thread might catch on with other small things in other films, but it seems not. Ill stick to not starting threads, and thanks btw Chief, ulcer gone now!

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 13
RE: Small Significance's - 17/3/2013 8:56:52 AM   
Sutty

Small significances... Hmmm...

Okay I got one. At the end of Rocky, after he has gone 15 rounds with the Heavyweight Champion of the World. When everyone else thought he was just a bum, a low rate punch drunk amateur who was there to last maybe a round. When nearly everyone around him told him he didn't stand a chance. When he himself set himself the personal challenge of mere survival, of hopefully going the distance, of taking a beating but still being there at the end. When he has taken the worst beating of his life, but managed to not only "go the distance" but to put the champ down, to match him toe to toe. When he has endured more than he has ever had to in life, and more than many men ever could. In front of his home city. In front of the world. And the worlds press are shoving cameras and microphones in his face, wanting his first words after the event. When finally people want to know what he has to say, want to know who he is, where he came from. When Adrian rushes in to his arms and they embrace, Rocky says to her "Where's your hat?"

I love, LOVE, LOVE that moment. With all that is going on around him and all he has just been through, Rocky is just so in to her. She is all he sees and all he is concerned about. And through his bruised and battered eyes he sees she has lost her hat. And this is what he cares about. And then they embrace. He is with the woman he loves. Even though the worlds eyes are on them an d the worlds press around them, surrounded by thousands of people screaming his name, they are alone. Together.

Perfect.

And yet so many miss it.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 14
RE: Small Significance's - 17/3/2013 11:47:45 AM   
Vitamin F

ALIEN - Ash is in the lab, just about to examine something under a microscope and he does some weird snappy thing with his mouth. No significance to it I'm sure, but it's so obvious to me now that I like to think of it as some 'droid glitch. On one of the commentaries Ridley Scott actually refers to it I think.

"...did you just see a real bright light?"

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 15
RE: Small Significance's - 17/3/2013 11:37:10 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Small significances... Hmmm...

Okay I got one. At the end of Rocky, after he has gone 15 rounds with the Heavyweight Champion of the World. When everyone else thought he was just a bum, a low rate punch drunk amateur who was there to last maybe a round. When nearly everyone around him told him he didn't stand a chance. When he himself set himself the personal challenge of mere survival, of hopefully going the distance, of taking a beating but still being there at the end. When he has taken the worst beating of his life, but managed to not only "go the distance" but to put the champ down, to match him toe to toe. When he has endured more than he has ever had to in life, and more than many men ever could. In front of his home city. In front of the world. And the worlds press are shoving cameras and microphones in his face, wanting his first words after the event. When finally people want to know what he has to say, want to know who he is, where he came from. When Adrian rushes in to his arms and they embrace, Rocky says to her "Where's your hat?"

I love, LOVE, LOVE that moment. With all that is going on around him and all he has just been through, Rocky is just so in to her. She is all he sees and all he is concerned about. And through his bruised and battered eyes he sees she has lost her hat. And this is what he cares about. And then they embrace. He is with the woman he loves. Even though the worlds eyes are on them an d the worlds press around them, surrounded by thousands of people screaming his name, they are alone. Together.

Perfect.

And yet so many miss it.

Rocky is in my top 5 films of all time. And I've never noticed this.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Small Significance's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI