Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Justice League?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> How Do You Solve A Problem Like Justice League? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Do You Solve A Problem Like Justice League? - 5/3/2013 6:17:48 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Simple Solution - 5/3/2013 6:17:48 PM   
bnicholson50

Don't do justice league! Just because Marvel did it (and made a mint) doesn't mean DC should do it. Approach the DC universe in a different manner and do some interesting crossovers instead. Do "The Dark Knight Returns" where Batman beats the crap outta Superman. There are many different ways to introduce other superheroes into franchise movies without making it a complete "assemble" movie. Grow the world organically

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Simple Solution - 5/3/2013 6:47:09 PM   
lsdbaby

Completely agree with my learned friend. Do limited crossover movies and slowly introduce the characters together. Who wouldn't want to see a Worlds Finest or Trinity movie? Then you can start dropping in extra characters like Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter as plot points.

Probably the reason Warners/DC can't consider this is because Nolan and Bale are too big to be tied into a 3-6 movie commitment. I fear they'll jump in with both feat and ruin any prospect of a franchise.

By the way, please please please do not give up on Aquaman. Think Tony Stark is cool because he acts like he owns every room he's in? Aquaman LITRALLY owns 2/3rd's of the Earth, and acts like it.

"Shuuuuuuun. Shun the non-believer!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus

(in reply to bnicholson50)
Post #: 3
RE: How Do You Solve A Problem Like Justice League? - 5/3/2013 7:25:54 PM   
drico

Partly agree with nicholson50. and thats the part where he says don't do it. not every comic book has to be made. dont limit each DC character by having to mould them to each other's world to fit in the same universe. Man Of Steel looks great but already from the trailer i cant see it fitting with Nolan's Batman. Don't taint Batman and let Superman fill the gap.

You mentioned in the article that Avengers topped The Dark Knight Rises in the box office. That's still incredible that one super hero competes with many. Man of Steel could well reach that sort of greatness, and then maybe give someone a shot to start a new batman story, that'd become two massive box office draws for DC. That's only money reasons. there is just no way wonder woman, green lantern, superman and batman can co-exist after the greatness of the Dark Knight trilogy. sorry to be so negative but some things are best left alone.

Post #: 4
RE: Simple Solution - 5/3/2013 8:38:52 PM   
eamonn_finn

I like you point about the Dark Knight Returns Batman/Superman fight. the key issue is the difference in their ideology. Now i don't know much about the rest of the JL or what their view on Justice really is. But how about a movie where they battle each other. Not necessarily to beat each other, but to hold each other in check.

(in reply to bnicholson50)
Post #: 5
- 5/3/2013 8:42:01 PM   
TheBigLewbowski

http://acaseofwritersblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/what-could-dc-do/

Post #: 6
the solution is.......... - 5/3/2013 11:35:37 PM   
simjamlmx

not to bring in bales batman. the tone is completely wrong. I like the nolan batman trilogy but it's tough going, those films are too serious for their own good, doom laden, and i suspect boring for younger kids. As much as i detest alot of what tim burton did with the original from a storyline point of view, i think he got overall tone absolutely right. thats not to say i want burton anywhere near a justice league movie. nor do i want bales batman in it either.

Post #: 7
Hawkman - 6/3/2013 12:38:00 AM   
Normal Control

Been a long while since I read JLA, but I remember thinking Hawkman was cool. He's a unique character with an interesting origin, and flies around using medieval weaponry to bash the bad guys in.

I think DC should follow Marvel on making successful solo movies before bringing them together for a superhero mash-up. Green Lantern could and should have been better, so more quality control is required if DC want to open their piggy bank. And leave Nolan and his gimp-voiced Batman behind as a lucrative bad memory.

Post #: 8
- 6/3/2013 12:45:07 AM   
Cyberleader

DC shouldn't copy marvel. C'mon! Much as I love marvel, DC certainly came first by a lightyear... The Avengers was good fun...The Dark Knight Rises was 'class'. If they DO make a Justice League movie, they should utterly scrap any notion of 'make it a load of cool dudes being awesome to totally wicked rock music, whilst making chilled quips to one another'......Carry on the amazing 'Dark Knight' approach of creating something deathly serious. No franchises in mind...so what if they're god like rather than 'underdog' guys finding powers? Even no super powerers Batman is 'god like' or rather 'legendary' in his tragic, epic scaled tale. MAKE them gods and then have fun seeing them try to fix the World with ultimate powers. Easy? No. They'd sometimes blow up the wrong people, fight the wrong cause and let people like The Joker (c'mon, only the most famous comics villian EVER) pose them moral dihlemmas. Hell, even with no Joker, Lex Luther etc. there are enough real life bad guys to cause grief. Remember, Dr Manhatten had a brilliant story in Watchmen...

Post #: 9
Justice League was no doubt born out of a slump in comi... - 6/3/2013 12:58:00 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

...It cheapened the characters. I even thought so as a five year-old watching the Saturday morning cartoons. WB has just made a fortune with Nolan's films and is probably about to do the same with a new Superman franchise. To combine them would be to do an Alien vs Predator and tarnish two classic characters in one foul swoop. WB is my favourite studio because they gave Kubrick so much freedom, but a changing of the guard since then means they probably only care about the bottom line, just like all the rest.

Post #: 10
Elseworlds. - 6/3/2013 1:18:26 AM   
makeminemedia

I'd like to see Kingdom Come done or Superman Red Son, or something where the filmmakers won't have as much pressure to adhere to the characters. Where they can stamp their mark tonally.

People say that being too powerful etc means the characters aren't relatable, but we can all relate to wanting to live up to that standard and be the perfect person almost.A film should concentrate what its like having that pressure, oh and please no aliens!

Post #: 11
- 6/3/2013 2:28:30 AM   
jazzyjules63

I don't see how they can get away without origin stories for all of them. You can't just have a martian or the world's fastest man suddenly appearing. This will take years. Marvel were very smart in the way they had Nick Fury tying all of them together. Personally I would follow Superman with Wonder Woman (Superman cameo), Flash (GreenLantern cameo) and Aquaman (Batman cameo) movies. Then have a world's finest (or Trinity) movie which leads into the JLA movie, which can be the Martian Manhunter's origin story, having come to Earth escaping Darkseid who kills off the martian race.

Post #: 12
The question is; do you do it at all? - 6/3/2013 3:09:40 AM   
betsy101

The question is; do you do it at all?

If you do there's got to be a plan. I think for it to work you have to do something completely different to what Marvel have done with the Avengers. So, it can't be Darksied attacking Earth or a threat from outer space.

I think inspiration can be found in the stories written by Grant Morrisson, who made it feel like world ending threats only the JLA could handle, and also from JLA Year One by Mark Waid who dealt with the more behind the scenes stories of the characters involved. A more human story might be the way to go.

To do it; reboot Batman, or at least don't use the Chris Nolan version of Batman. I don't think we need another Batman movie, everyone knows the Batman origin story by now and it doesn't need a rehash. Also, Nolan's movies are very grounded in their reality, which might not work so well for super-fast humans or men who can fly. Also, Dark Knight Rises took itself very seriously, too seriously, it was no fun at all.

Fix the Wonder Woman origin story, which is a mess. There's a good story somewhere in there about an island of Amazon female warriors that doesn't have to be tied with the Greek Gods. Find something more grounded. Or don't tell her origin in the movie, make it a mystery.

Make a good movie without Batman or Superman as the character. Green Lantern was a missed opportunity. Flash or Wonder Woman have to be a hit.

JLA will fail if it's only purpose to be made is a knee jerk reaction to Avengers.

I actually think their next movie should be Captain Marvel/Shazam. He's a very under-rated character with a movie quality story. Think Big and Superman and Toy Story in one movie. I think it's a magical idea, kids always wondered if their toys were alive, that's why Toy Story worked so well. Kids always dream about being an adult or a superhero. Imagine if you could say one magic word you could do both!

I don't think JLA should be DC's focus, yet. Give it time until a way is found that'

Post #: 13
RE: The question is; do you do it at all? - 6/3/2013 5:05:41 AM   
jimbo909

I've been saying DC should do a World's Finest movie for years. If Man of Steel turns out to be a more realistic approach (what if this guy really existed?) then it could work tonally with Nolan's Batman. I think to redo a version of Batman that can fit in with most people's idea of Superman will take time, so better to move on from where we are now. There should definitely be a Wonder Woman solo movie before we get to the rest of the team.

"This is an oldie. Well, it's an oldie where I come from."

(in reply to betsy101)
Post #: 14
- 6/3/2013 9:38:44 AM   
jmebaby25

If they want it to have any chance of working, they've either got to scrap Wonder Woman, or completely rewrite the character so that she's basically unrecognisable as the character we know from the comics. She just doesn't work on screen.

Post #: 15
Just make it - 6/3/2013 10:03:27 AM   
crimebusterofthesea

Too much dilly-dallying. A Superman-Batman movie would be a fine starting point and then expand from there. Why does it have to go the same route as Marvel? And why worry about developing awkward characters in the first movie? A Superman-Batman would make a bajillion dollars and you can kick on from there.

Post #: 16
Here's a start... - 6/3/2013 10:12:22 AM   
Holbydude

Have Superman save Batman's life at the end of 'Dark Knight Rises'. How did Bruce Wayne survive the bomb / plane crash.....? End of credits sequence to 'Man Of Steel'?

Post #: 17
RE: Here's a start... - 6/3/2013 10:37:33 AM   
Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: Holbydude

Have Superman save Batman's life at the end of 'Dark Knight Rises'. How did Bruce Wayne survive the bomb / plane crash.....? End of credits sequence to 'Man Of Steel'?

Oh I like that! That'd be a clever ret-con (sort of a ret-con anyway).

< Message edited by Helen OHara -- 6/3/2013 10:38:33 AM >

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Holbydude)
Post #: 18
RE: Here's a start... - 6/3/2013 12:10:25 PM   
paulioscorchio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: Holbydude

Oh I like that! That'd be a clever ret-con (sort of a ret-con anyway).

That is a superb idea. Bravo.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 19
RE: Here's a start... - 6/3/2013 12:52:42 PM   
DanTDavies

how about rather than an external villain, an internal conflict? The best batman comic is the Dark Knight Returns which ends with Batman and Superman duking it out. The build up and backstory were both credible and interesting, and if one thing would require all of wonderwoman et al it would be taking on a deluded superman :)

PS can we have Angelina Jolie as Wonder Woman? Thanks :D

(in reply to paulioscorchio)
Post #: 20
RE: Here's a start... - 6/3/2013 1:47:10 PM   
Normal Control

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanTDavies

how about rather than an external villain, an internal conflict? The best batman comic is the Dark Knight Returns which ends with Batman and Superman duking it out. The build up and backstory were both credible and interesting, and if one thing would require all of wonderwoman et al it would be taking on a deluded superman :)

PS can we have Angelina Jolie as Wonder Woman? Thanks :D

Have to set something straight for you here lad. Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is the worst, dumbest, ugliest piece of fiction I've ever read, and I've been unfortunate enough to read a John Grisham novel. It's amazing Miller also wrote Daredevil: Born Again just a couple of years prior, which I reckon is the greatest comic book ever. Go figure.

But yeah, you know Batman vs Superman would attact a few $$, after all it's the same audience that laps up Aliens vs Predator and robots fighting each other.

Edit - we have the feeling it isn't the first time you've been told that word is not acceptable on this board.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 6/3/2013 2:11:50 PM >

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to DanTDavies)
Post #: 21
Here's a start.... - 6/3/2013 2:17:57 PM   
Holbydude

..The problem with suggesting Superman saving Batman is that it will travel the world wide web very quickly and won't happen...Sorry guys and gals. But lets go with it for a while....Imagine this...when Supes rips off the cockpit roof, does Batman say:
a) Who the hell are you?
b) Knew you would come; or
c) What took you so long?....oh...er.. i think I've really shot myself in the foot now...

Post #: 22
RE: - 6/3/2013 2:27:46 PM   
betsy101

AWorlds Finest movie first is a very good idea which could lead quite well to a Justice League movie

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 23
RE: Here's a start.... - 6/3/2013 2:53:37 PM   
Artoo

I really like the idea of Superman being the one who saves Batman at the end of TDKR, I can totally see that working if they put that scene into Man of Steel at the end - nicely tying the two together.

I did read on Latino Reviw a while back that The Justice League was only going to consist of the big 5 - i.e, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern and that the villain was going to be Darkseid. That sounds about right to me because a movie about the JLA stopping tsunami's, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, water leaks and blown fuses sounds really fucking boring if I'm honest and will send that movie straight down the pan! Darkseid is more powerful than Superman by a long way so it would take the entire JLA to go toe to toe with him - it's the only way to go IMO.

The main issue is that the Justice League is due out in 2015 which is far too soon. it should be aimed for 2016 at the very least If we're to have all 5 characters in the movie as we need a stand alone movie for all of the 5 big characters really. The only one that they could possibly get away with not doing a stand alone movie for if they needed to is The Flash IMO because he's just not that complex a character, and I guess they could use Ryan Reynolds GL if a reboot is not going to happen (although he was born to play The Flash!!!!)

That leaves Wonder Woman as the main challenge and a bloody big challenge at that! If anyone can do it though it's Nolan and Snyder and I am champing at the bit to see where they go with it!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Holbydude)
Post #: 24
IMO - 6/3/2013 4:38:30 PM   
Goddamnitsaveme

I'd love to see Justice League in the cinema but there are definitely a lot of ways it could suck. Here's a few of my suggestions:

1. Carry on from where TDKR left off and use Robin instead of Batman and set JL at least a few years after those events to allow him some training time.
2. Give Superman more weaknesses. I know he's got kryptonite but he needs to be taken down a notch. The man can literally turn back time by flying around the earth at light speed... I don't know the plot for Man of Steel but it'd be cool if something bad happened that would literally bring him down to our level a bit.
3. Use John Stewart or another incarnation instead of Hal Jordan. It might ease the transition from the last movie (that we're all going to forget about)
4. Make Flash a teenager. I always saw Flash as a kid anyway because of his wit but it annoys me that all these one-of-a-kind heroes are all in the same age range.
5. Scrap Aqualad. Seriously. Nobody likes him.
6. Use Hawkgirl instead of Aqualad. Everybody loves Hawkgirl! Lol, I know I'm slightly bias on all this because Justice League the animated series was my favourite show but she was truly awesome and she might add a different kind of strength to the team (the rest of them more or less have great powers the are really hard to explains but she's got wings and that seems fairly credible)
7. Give J'onn (Martian Manhunter) amnesia. There was an episode of Yound Justice where he couldn't remember what he was doing (it was when Megan was doing some weird mental exercise with the team...) but anyway it added a layer...

That's all I can think of right now but I'll comment again if I think of more.
Oh and I really liked the idea of the JL actually using their powers to help the world with real-life problems like tsunamis and such. I think there should be a meteor headed for earth and J'onn come to warn them about it or something but can't remember why it was so important for his planet that they stopped it, and t

Post #: 25
We know the past - tell the future - 6/3/2013 7:04:00 PM   
bdmrmapf

Here's an idea... no origin stories! Don't we all know them by now? Creative scripting could recap what they've all been up to prior to events bringing them together. You need a big baddie.. bad enough to bring them together... do it! It's fantasy already, embrace it... we have. You have.. and you over there, you have! All the comments about how to bring in an alien, a god, blah blah blah... you've already embraced that kind of world! You've been reading the comics so long, so deeply, that you have an opinion on how to make a green matrian relatable to Earth. Thats embracing the whole idea! No origins! They've been here... born here, traveled here, evolved here, whatever! Make them look good... do your comic book history... and jump right in!

Post #: 26
This can work - 6/3/2013 10:49:34 PM   
Paulieman

A kick-ass Justice League movie is fully possible, specially if they get Nolan, Bale, Snyder and Cavill. I guess they can bring Ryan Reynolds back but it will be hard, since its planned that he will do a Deadpool movie for Marvel.
Can't come up with any good suggestion for The Flash and Wonder Woman but they have to have them included in the movie, it doesn't have to be known actors.
I really hope they will get a Justice League movie going and that they won't think too much/be nervous about Avengers 2

Post #: 27
Try a little retro with JSA/JLA crossover - 7/3/2013 2:38:03 PM   
Reverend

The DC movie present is too muddy for JLA to work alone.
(What the Heck...every annimated JLA feature is already based on a slightly different story line.) So why not follow the Golden Age Justice Society into the Modern Age as a set up for another "team" movie. Just set the JSA up in a Crisis Universe situation and go from there. Let 1 or 2 survive and be a part of the current age JLA roster. Heck, Smallville already showed that there were superheroes before Superman...and that they can cross over.

< Message edited by Reverend -- 7/3/2013 2:39:07 PM >

Post #: 28
The Reach storyline for JL movie - 7/3/2013 7:58:53 PM   
ewilds

A great storyline for Justice League movie should adapt the Young Justice storyline. Maybe spread over two or three films. Have the story start off in Gotham where Ra's al Ghul making a deal with the Reach who hide their true intensions to help take down Gotham. Batman fights off this new threat and realize he is overmatched greatly. The Reach supply futuristic weapons to fight with. Batman could be played by Joseph Gordan-Levitt/Blake who get captured by the Reach. The true intensions of the Reach surfaces. Bruce Wayne sees to plot unfolds on tv, he searches for the new Batman and couldn't find him. Which beacons him to put on the cape and cowl once again. As Bruce searches and engages the Reach. He is then joined by, let's say Green Lantern, who knew about the plans of the reach through the Green Lantern Corp. The Reach can probably get Mogul and other super villians by mind control to help take the earth. A story like this will surely be interesting to watch. The story can't be like The Avengers storyline because the characters are different. Superman can be the last one the be introduce in the series to bring the thunder to defeat the Reach once and for all.

Post #: 29
RE: The Reach storyline for JL movie - 8/3/2013 12:40:34 PM   
rogerebert

Problem with a lot of this stuff is that it has to draw in people who have never read the comics if it's going to make any money. I love Batman and Superman films but I've hardly read any of the comics. And there's no way I'd part with hard earned cash to see most of the story-lines/characters suggested.

(in reply to ewilds)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> How Do You Solve A Problem Like Justice League? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI