Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Razzie for Ms Kunis

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Razzie for Ms Kunis Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Razzie for Ms Kunis - 12/3/2013 8:49:11 PM   
Dr Lenera

In 1905 Kansas, Oscar Diggs, who calls himself Oz The Great And Powerful, is a small-time circus magician, con artist and heartless womaniser in a travelling circus. He is revealed to be a fraud when he is unable to heal a young girl who is unable to walk. Annie, a woman he actually cares for, visits Oscar at the circus to tell him another man named John Gale proposed to her. Oscar, realizing he is a bad man, tells her she should accept. As a storm approaches the circus, the circus strongman attacks Oscar after finding one of his music boxes he had given to his girlfriend. Oscar escapes in a hot air balloon but is sucked into a cyclone. As the balloon breaks apart, Oscar promises God that if he survives this he will become a good man. He finds himself in the land of Oz, where the witch Theodora finds him and explains she believes he is the focus of a prophecy after seeing him perform a few simple tricks which she believes is real magic…

I think one of the main problems with the Star Wars prequels is that by their very nature their conception is flawed. One of the most iconic villains of all time had his mystique and power taken away when George Lucas decided to laboriously fill in his back story. And like many fans, when Ben Kenobi’s ghost told Luke Skywalker of his fight with Anakin and Anakin becoming Darth Vader in Return Of The Jedi, I built up my own image of the events which no film recreation years later could match. That’s the problem with prequels in a nutshell. Quite often they don’t need to exist and just take away from the original film. And so it is with Oz The Great And Powerful, which is not based on any of L.Frank Baum’s Oz books, of which there are actually 14, though you wouldn’t know it because only the first book The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz seems to be well known because it was adapted for the wonderful 1939 movie which is as delightful now as it must have been when it came out and casts a shadow over any successive film set in the crazy land of Oz, a land which since then has been visited by the Muppets and even Diana Ross amongst others.

This film gets off to a great start with a clever title sequence showing what look like cardboard cut-outs of things we will see in the actual film. The first twenty minutes are in black and white and ‘fullscreen’ much like in the 1939 film and these early scenes showing Oscar’s world and his carefree, even callous life are so interesting I wish we had spent more time in it. It’s unusual to have a ‘PG ‘rated film with a leading character so unpleasant, and yet I still somehow liked him. You never know what quality of performance you’re going to get from that erratic actor James Franco, and original choices Johnny Depp or Robert Downey Jnr.would no doubt have been better, but here Franco’s really rather good. His character and the emotional journey that character goes on reminded me greatly of 127 Hours, which features probably the best performance he has ever given. Saying that though, I wasn’t convinced by the end that his questionable treatment of women was definitely over,giving things a slightly subversive edge.

Once we get to Oz, after a typhoon sequence which is very exciting indeed, the film bursts into glorious colour and widescreen and we have an awe-inspiring shot of most of Oz from a mountain top looking over a [the] rainbow. Much effort has been spent in replicating the look of the ’39 classic, and it’s great to see a film is these days of gritty dullness where the bright colours literally burst out of the screen. It also looks a bit like Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland should have looked like. Sadly, in looking so much like the ’39 picture, it can’t help but make you compare the two, and this new film just isn’t nearly as entertaining. The mixture of real and CG sets works well and the plot does its best to have a few twists and turns in it, but the whole thing gets less and less interesting as it goes on and ends up resembling the afore-mentioned and very weak Burton film rather too much. You know it’s all going to end in a big battle, though this one is nearly over before it begins and the showdowns that follow are disappointing. The action in this film seems unfinished, a real shame from the director of three Spiderman films.

There is some humour which usually works, the best bit for me reminding us never to judge people by their appearance and indeed trade. Despite Franco’s efforts we are never really invested in Oscar that much, but some emotion is provided by a girl made of china whose plea to let Oscar take her along with him actually tugged at my heartstrings. A servile flying monkey is his other sidekick. Things anyone will recognise from the ’39 film turn up quite often, from the Munchkins to the Yellow Brick Road, and the evil winged primates look really vicious this time. Overall the tone is fairly light, but there’s a small section which brings some nicely contrasting darkness including a nocturnal scene of a witch slinking around a foggy graveyard which is like something out of a Universal horror film and as you can imagine had me grinning from ear to ear. Director Sam Raimi, as he usually does, gives us the occasional reminder of the wilder Sam Raimi of days gone by, like random POV shots from the viewpoint of a carnivorous plant consisting of three quick freeze frames of the three characters.

I saw Oz The Great And Powerful in 3D because I got the times wrong. As usual, it mostly adds little to the experience though Raimi does remember to give us a few instances of things hurtling at the audience which is probably the only thing 3D is really good for in my opinion. Sometimes he seems to be trying to do interesting things with the format but its limitations hamper his efforts. For example there’s a really weird bit where Oscar and a companion are standing on a wall in the background while some people in a crowd are watching him in the foreground. It looks like these people are at the front of the crowd but Oscar and his friend look really tiny, as if they are really far away. Characters don’t look as much like cardboard cut-outs as normal, but once again my presiding opinion was that they need to do away with this stupid, money-grabbing [because of course the seats are more expensive for a 3D film] waste of time with a format that is nowhere near perfected yet.

The performances, especially from Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis [who seems to be getting better with each film] as the three witches in the story, are all quite strong, and the proceedings are considerably enlivened by Danny Elfman’s best score in quite a while, more melodic than much of his recent output but rich and varied in dramatic underscore too. There’s a fair bit to like in Oz The Great And Powerful and it’s certainly a decent trip to the cinema for the whole family, but it feels a bit redundant and seriously goes downhill in the second half. I doubt you’ll regret seeing it but also doubt you’ll rush to buy the DVD or Blu-Ray. They would have been better off adapting another actual Oz book, while if you want to see a prequel that does interesting things with the concept, go and catch the stage musical Wicked. It’ll cost you a hell of a lot more but you won’t regret it.

Rating: 6/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 31
The Great and Powerful was Aweful! - 13/3/2013 4:43:49 AM   
ggonzalez435

I'm not sure how a critic could sit through this movie and give it 4 stars out of 5 unless she lost a bet to her 8 year old daughter. The acting alone was so bad it couldn't be fixed with so-so cg affects. Watch the original, that was a 5, this was no Wizzard of Oz or even close to it. I am at a loss after reading this magazines critique of this horrible "movie"...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
Oz Rules forever - 13/3/2013 1:40:01 PM   
SiBurDen

Wow I saw the new 'Oz the great and powerful' yesterday at the Empire Leicester Square and all I am going to say is that the film is a thing of beauty, especially the 3D version.

The story which I am not going to spoil for anyone by going into detail here, really ties in nicely with the original.

Watch it on a big screen, preferably in 3D with Dolby Surround sound, with all the additional extras like VIP seating and take a box of Krispy Creme doughnuts in with you to keep your strength up during the rollicking Rollercoaster ride you will be sent on.

Pay no attention to the negative reviews, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things, but go with an open mind and you will enjoy being taken back to your innocent childhood for a couple of hours out of the day.

Post #: 33
Surprisingly good - 14/3/2013 7:52:31 AM   
duncansby

The 3D effects are up there with Dredd and AVatar, and the story zips along nicely. More a 4 star movie but given it 5 to up it's overall rating from a rather harsh 2

Post #: 34
RE: Just barely okay - 14/3/2013 6:45:39 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I seem to be alone here, but yeah, I think you should go see it.

Don't worry, you're not.

It's no wizard of Oz. Hell, it's no Return to Oz either. Yet as a kids film it still works a treat with some pleasing Raimi imagination & humour at work (his Evil Dead roots serve him well here). There's a genuinely lovely scene involving a china girl (which later on results in a glorious Bowie pun) and I actually adored the idea that despite being in a world dominated by witchcraft, it's the aesthetics of cinema which end up being the more spellbinding. Also another reminder that I can watch Weisz & Williams in pretty much anything & be captivated by them - whether that's a Terrence Davis film or a disney effort.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 35
Are you kidding me?? - 14/3/2013 11:03:23 PM   
chubs

4 stars! Seriously!? At best it scrapes a 2* - it felt dull, flat, uninspiring and apart from a few moments of head nodding to the 1939 film (which is all 5* Amazing!), I was actually rather bored. 4 stars! Man, that is hugely overgenerous........

Post #: 36
RE: Just barely okay - 14/3/2013 11:08:26 PM   
chubs

Wait for the DVD - and never watch it......

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 37
Oz: The Great and Powerful review and critique - 15/3/2013 9:10:18 PM   
My Dream Tank

As a fan of the original, I was very excited for a new Oz movie. Both Sam Raimi and James Franco seem like left field choices for me as the director and star of Oz: The Great and Powerful, but they both deliver on expectations and so much more through their own personal weird cameras. When Franco first enters Oz it is a magical adventure with a slightly cartoonish feel, a world of china dolls and pixies with sharp teeth. And the adventure doesn't slow down for a moment, mixing all the right ingredients that made the Wizard of Oz such a magnificent film, but with less constraint on the visuals.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 20/3/2013 10:17:18 PM >

Post #: 38
DO WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER OZ FILM? - 16/3/2013 3:03:55 PM   
ROTGUT

Worth a look for the sheer technical brilliance on display. But I would have preferred original choice RDJ rather than Franco to play the title role and to be honest, the whole thing seems rather superfluous when compared to the classic 1939 film. I saw it in 2D but I imagine it would be more spectacular in 3D if you don't mind shelling out extra. Raimi's Spiderman films are still pretty good (even 3 - if you get rid of Venom). This film is merely watchable if there's nothing else on .......THREE STARS

Post #: 39
DO WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER OZ FILM? - 16/3/2013 3:04:00 PM   
ROTGUT

Worth a look for the sheer technical brilliance on display. But I would have preferred original choice RDJ rather than Franco to play the title role and to be honest, the whole thing seems rather superfluous when compared to the classic 1939 film. I saw it in 2D but I imagine it would be more spectacular in 3D if you don't mind shelling out extra. Raimi's Spiderman films are still pretty good (even 3 - if you get rid of Venom). This film is merely watchable if there's nothing else on .......THREE STARS

Post #: 40
QUITE DAZZLING!! - 16/3/2013 3:46:27 PM   
Ramone87

A pretty dazzling return to the Land of Oz!!

Director Sam Riami takes the directorial riegns in this entertaining re-invisioning of the Wizard of Oz. Instead of Dorothy we have hoaxer majician Oscar Diggs (James Franco) who get's whisked away from his circus act in 1905 to the colourful and majical Land of Oz....

Here Riami le's loose with some suberb 3D visuals,..he wastes no time in lavshing the screen with vivid colours, details and richly designed scenery to really emmerse us into this majical Land of Oz,..a tumbling shot down a waterfall was a real stand out moment here!! No sooner than you can say 'we are not in Kansas anymore' we are introduced to pre-witch incarnation Theodora (Mila Kunis) who together with a flying monkey (vocied by Zach Braff),..and lovable China Doll Voiced by (Joey King) and the Good Witch played by Michelle Williams herald his arrival as the Saviour of the Land of Oz.

So the adventure begins with a neatly plotted waltz through the well loved and well known universe of Oz. Here Oscar, played with wit and charm by Franco goes head to head with the twin Witches of the Land of Oz. There is a great introduction to the witches here as Evanora (played by Rachel Weiz) manipulates Theodora (played by Mila Kunis) into the now legendary Witch we all know and loath....and not forgetting the minions of munchkins and the famous yellow brick road.

It all builds nicely to a cool climax as Oscar must save the Land of Oz. Using all the wit and invention he can muster against the nasty twin witches, Oscar battles them in all out fury with the munchkins as much needed help for the young 'Saviour' of Oz.

Well worth a trip!!

ENJOY!!

Post #: 41
- 16/3/2013 11:10:51 PM   
Cruzo13

It had a very promising start with a few good jokes and a bit of fun. Though it was a nice idea, having the part of the story set in Kansas done on a small black and white screen was really very annoying. It was visually stunning, however the acting was appalling, Mila Kunis was terrible as Theodora and even worse when it came to being the wicked witch, I could not take the idea of a screaming Meg out of my head. Michelle Williams was quite frankly bland, and while Rachel Weisz and James Franco gave fairly decent performances, the film started to get repetitive, the jokes were horrific, the song was painful and you found yourself shifting in your seat a lot. The Climax was very disappointing and you felt no empathy towards any of the characters. Overall, though it looked very good, the acting was off, there was no story and the movie had no heart.

Post #: 42
Mila Kunis, horribly miscast, Just awful as the wicked ... - 18/3/2013 9:25:58 AM   
Jamie_M

Good work by Michelle Williams though. she portrayed a younger version of Billie Burkes character Glinda, absolutely perfectly. How James Franco gets lead roles, ill never know.

Post #: 43
RE: Oz: The Great and Powerful - 19/3/2013 4:17:56 PM   
No Diggity

Enjoyable film...well worth a look in 3D...Only problem, and its a large one, is as the film progressed, it got worse.....lame duck ending,,,saved by the fact that at least it was an ending of sorts & not a pause in a trilogy....the character you connect with most is the doll....as was pointed out earlier, the witches weren't that bad...ho hum..

Post #: 44
Oz the great & powerful - 21/3/2013 6:16:07 PM   
ajm1991

Oz the great & powerful(2013): Hail Sam Raimi's relentless efforts, 'Oz the Great and Powerful ' is an acceptable prequel than a sleeky visual divertissement. Detailed Review Here: http://www.filmwaves.in/2013/03/oz-great-powerful.html

Post #: 45
- 21/3/2013 9:10:25 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched it on tuesday:

Watched on tuesday:

Oz The Great and Powerful
Sam Raimi`s prequel to the classic. It`s a Disney film wich makes it all so safe and predictable storywise. But as a whole I found it very enjoyable.
There are a number of (subtle and not so subtle) hints to the original. The begin is black-and-white and turns to colour after a while, as does the original and there are characters in it that were also in the original (some lesser-known as well)
It all looks beautiful and James Franco as the Wizard of Oz is perfectly cast.
Aside from the runningtime that is just a bit too long, the only real letdown is the monkey, the sidekick of the wizard. At times he is just too present and annoying.
It doesn`t give you anything surprising but it is a fun and gorgeous-looking film. And Michelle Williams still is quite something to look at. Love her.

7,8/10

Post #: 46
*shrugs* - 27/3/2013 4:31:34 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Joey King's China Girl injects more personality and emotion than the rest of the film combined, and I spent more time noticing camera-shots from Sam Raimi's Evil Dead films and comparing the fight scenes to Star Wars and Harry Potter than I did trying to link Oz to its classic predecessor.

It's not all bad, it's just not great, and it's certainly not powerful.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 47
RE: Mila Kunis, horribly miscast, Just awful as the wic... - 28/3/2013 9:46:56 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jamie_M

Good work by Michelle Williams though. she portrayed a younger version of Billie Burkes character Glinda, absolutely perfectly. How James Franco gets lead roles, ill never know.

My thoughts excatly.

I go along with the mojority view that this was a pretty solid 3 out of 5 stars film.

As for the script at times it did feel a bit ropey, and some of the lines were very cliched, however there were some entertaining gags in there and the characters on the whole were pretty well written.

Franco was rubbish, but then he normally is, luckily there was enough else going on in terms of the design, atmosphere and other characters to carry the film along.

Taken as an entertaining family romp, with some scary and magaical moments, this was well worth a look.

7/10

(in reply to Jamie_M)
Post #: 48
RE: Just barely okay - 31/3/2013 11:37:14 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lisamoviegeek

Is this worth watching in theaters or should I wait for the DVD release?

I seem to be alone here, but yeah, I think you should go see it.

I did, and I thought it was wonderful. The monkey was adorable!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 49
RE: Oz: The Great and Powerful - 3/4/2013 7:31:42 AM   
Phubbs

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

SPOILER WARNING!

I presume this film must be made up of various bits n bobs from Baum's sequel books as I don't believe there was a prequel story/book written. All his stories were set after the original 'Wizard of Oz' so I'm guessing this must be a lot of artistic license?.

Back to Oz we go, for the third time, question is, is this adventure as good as the previous two?. The first is a silver screen classic, the second was a dark but highly imaginative twist with superb characters. This time we re-enter Oz guided by horror maestro Sam Raimi...and boy can you see it.

First impressions were simply, they're copying the original, starting off in black n white then bursting into colour once we reach Oz, cute, but its been done. The main thing you notice is obviously the visuals, upon touchdown in Oz we are greeted with (as expected) huge splashes of colour and shiny things, a glistening Emerald City, colourful animals, clear blue skies and perfect fairytale costumes.

I must admit they have recreated the look of the classic original nicely. The yellow brick road looks great, the familiar scenery of fields and wooden fences hark back nicely to when we saw 'Dorothy' walk past them and we have all the chirpy quirkiness of the 'Munchkins'. I won't deny there are some lovely landscape's on display, rainbow skylines and the weird and wonderful flowers n fauna of Oz dazzling your optical senses. It just a damn shame the CGI is so utterly average throughout with awful bluescreen/artificially superimposed actors against it.

What's so stupid is the fact 'Oz' lands in the land of Oz and within five minutes he's been brought to the Emerald City, hailed as the new King and sent off on this mission. Everyone thinks he's this wizard sent to save Oz and without a doubt the King. So 'The wizard' (played poorly by Franco) goes off on his mission to destroy the evil witch and picks up a few odd friends along the way to help him. An annoying, flying, bad CGI monkey and a sweet yet gradually annoying little girl doll made of china...nice idea, nicely envisioned, but her lippy personality isn't funny.

Kinda sounds familiar no? regular dude dumped in a strange fantasy world, now he's gotta save that world. 'Army of Dar'...naah couldn't be.

The other thing that got me was the fact Kunis' character falls for 'Oz' the minute she sees him. Then when he goes off to find the evil witch she gets all upset, so much so that when she finds out he's flirting with the other witch he's suppose to destroy, she turns to evil!. So she's a bit delicate then! falls in love, gets heart broken and turns to the dark side all within a few hours of meeting some guy!.

To be honest I really don't think Raimi was the right choice to direct this film. It swings from being quite sweet in places as it should be, to some outright soft horror moments! Raimi clearly not being able to resist his 'Evil Dead' days. The flying baboons are pretty darn scary for kids if you ask me, since when did the evil witches flying hordes get some monstrous?!!. Then there's Weisz's ending...whoa! oh and graveyards? really?.

The acting is also dreadful, yes I realise its a sweet fable but come on, Franco is terrible and totally miscast (still at least its a change from seeing Depp who I'm sure was gonna pop up at any moment). The guy has no charm no wonder and he's not funny, he plays it too snively for this character, he's unlikeable.

Kunis is made up waaaay too much for the green skinned evil witch, she's sexy for pete's sake! the evil witch ain't suppose to give the adult male audience a bonner. Plus I gotta say she seems really really violence obsessed here, wanting to tear her enemies apart and make the yellow brick road run red with the blood of the goodies...jesus! kids film here. The only people who actually look the part and put in a good show are all the extras playing 'Munchkins' 'Quadlings' 'Tinkers' and 'Winkie Guards', miles better than the main cast, I guess.

I think the problem here is the film can't quite decide what direction to go in. Its not entirely an innocent sweet musical like the original and its not as character driven or imaginative as 'Return to Oz'. Being a typical modern film they just can't help themselves with over the top effects, silly action, the odd explosion, lots of talk of death and killing and way too much hokey sterile CGI. The film even turns into 'Star Wars' at the end with a dark side force lighting battle.
On top of this the film seems to border on being almost a parody of the material source, too much of a comedy, too much mockery of the material eg. when the Munchkins try break out in song 'Oz' shouts at them to stop as if to say 'lets not go down the soppy wet musical route'.

Its not as bad as the Burton 'Alice in Wonderland' fiasco but it sure as hell comes close CGI wise. On the whole Oz does look nice when using real sets and real objects but that's it. Like other sequels/prequels of old franchises they manage to recreate the look of the old films brilliantly, but the rest of the content is just very average and merely shows how good the older films are. There are now talks of a sequel! how can there be a sequel?!.

6/10

Post #: 50
RE: Oz: The Great and Powerful - 4/4/2013 4:25:06 PM   
R W

At the very start of the 20th century, author L. Frank Baum started a series of children’s fantasy novels starting with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which follows the adventures of Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto traveling through the Land of Oz. For over a century that this book has been adapted into several different works, the most famous being the 1939 musical The Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland. This year, Disney and Evil Dead/Spider-Man auteur Sam Raimi tells the prequel story of how the wizard of Oz came to be.

In Kansas, Oscar Diggs (James Franco) works as a small-time magician in a traveling circus who is determined to be a great man despite his conman persona. Escaping in a hot air balloon, he is sucked into a tornado that takes him to the Land of Oz. His arrival to the magical land becomes the start of a prophecy in which a wizard will overthrow the Wicked Witch who killed the king of Oz.

Now right from the start, this expensive Disney-produced prequel will not live up to the timeless classic that is The Wizard of Oz (1939) which was notable for its use of Technicolor, fantasy storytelling and unusual characters, while the heart of the piece was Judy Garland’s wonderful performance as Dorothy, particularly when singing “Over the Rainbow”. For those Oz fanatics, you will see clever homages to the 1939 film, the most notable being the opening sequence, which is presented in black-and-white, transitioning into colour when Oscar arrives in Oz; additionally, the aspect ratio changes from 4:3 Academy ratio to 2.35:1 widescreen.

Being from the producers of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland that felt like a corporate machine as well as failing to be an ideal adaptation of Lewis Carroll’s novel, there was a fear that Oz the Great and Powerful would fall into the same trap; both films are even visually similar. However, despite knowing where the film is going (it is a prequel after all), Raimi and co pulls some new rabbits out of the hat with characters that don’t attempt to fill in the shoes of Dorothy’s friends such as the Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion. Although it is yet again a fish-out-of-water fantasy, the would-be wizard may not be Dorothy, but his arc from self-centred con-artist to the saviour of a world he’s new to is a funny, charming and surprisingly believable one, given the CG spectacle surrounding him.

After violently bringing the Evil Dead alive (and again in an upcoming remake) and bringing everyone’s favourite wall-crawler to the big screen, Sam Raimi presents his most family-friendly movie to date, but he manages to retain some of his signature trademarks from disorienting POV shots to Three Stooges-styled slapstick humour (keep on an eye out for Ash himself Bruce Campbell). From start to finish, whether it is black-and-white Kansa to the spectacular colourful CG’d Oz, Raimi knows how to shoot 3D, which is used in a nostalgic gimmicky fashion where little characters or items like hats and spears coming out of the screen. The film could’ve lost a few minutes as towards its climax which is the conventional fantasy battle sequence but with a twist, the pace of it did drag on.

Although James Franco does a decent performance of a somewhat anti-hero, he does often ham it up as his character shows off his cockiness with such theatricality, while his Oz compatriots are terrific from Zach Braff’s struggling winged monkey who regretfully becomes Oscar’s lifelong servant, to Joey King’s annoyingly sweet China Girl. Playing the three sexiest witches seen in a long time, the three actresses are playful in their own individuality with the standout being Mila Kunis as the tragic Theodora, as well as Michelle Williams as the light-hearted Glinda the Good Witch of the South, while the least successful Rachel Weisz shows her sinister side as Evanora.

Okay, this isn’t the 1939 Wizard of Oz given the lack of the delightful Judy Garland, but this isn’t Tim Burton’s corporate version of Alice in Wonderful, as Oz the Great and Powerful is an enthralling fantasy adventure that kids and adults can enjoy. From gore-fests to web-slinging and now 3D fantasy enchantment, Sam Raimi should next do Winnie the Pooh.

Post #: 51
RE: Oz: The Great and Powerful - 4/4/2013 7:36:19 PM   
GCH

Saw this lat night, and while I don't see it as a four star film, it is certainly a solid three stars The obvious problem the film has is a certain musical made about seventy years or so ago. If you forget about that and treat this one on its own merits its entertaining, has a great climax, and some solid performances from the leads.
What's not to like?
Unlikely to be a sequel however.

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

Post #: 52
RE: Oz: The Great and Powerful - 10/4/2013 1:23:47 AM   
fozzie12

Found the film a bit dull to be honest and my wife who'd wanted to see it for months came away from very disappointed.

(in reply to GCH)
Post #: 53
Four stars? REALLY? - 16/4/2013 10:10:47 AM   
Smokingjas

Most of the time I agree with Empire's reviews, but once in a while one of them is so off the mark, in my opinion.
This is one of them. The film has one of the cheesiest scripts in years, full of lines that make you groan. Franco is miserably miscast and hams it up at every opportunity. No way he grows into the old wizard in The Wizard of Oz. This film has none of the charm or the magic of the original. Even the 3D made us groan at times for being total clichés. Of course the film "looks" beautiful - it'd better for all the money spent on it, but it would've been wiser to spend it on a much better script the otherwise fine actors could sink their teeth in.
In short, a total turkey aimed at 6-year-olds with few redeeming values for adults. I can't believe Empire gave this 4 stars.

Post #: 54
RE: Four stars? REALLY? - 26/4/2013 12:39:40 PM   
Professor Dent

I would have thought Johnny Galecki from Big Bang Theory would have made a good Wizard of Oz in his younger days, but he's not a movie star yet. Frankly, I would use the entire cast of that show in a movie like this. you can see Sheldon as some smart alecky type gatekeeper who refuses to cooperate.

(in reply to Smokingjas)
Post #: 55
Suprisingly Good!! - 7/5/2013 10:10:51 PM   
DanielTurner90

A Unofficial Preequal to the Wizard Of Oz / A Reimagining of the Original. Well Sam Raimi has his work cut out doesn't he?
The good news he has a strong cast, a excellent budget and a good lawyer team who argued that without a wart and a darker shade of green means that Mila Kunis looks nothing like the original Wicked Witch of the West. The Story is good and the setting up of a sequal is the norm in Hollywood Cinema so I think we are on to a winner. Might not be everyones cup of tea, but its good wholesome fun for the whole family.

Post #: 56
AMAZBALLS - 31/5/2013 6:54:08 AM   
LoveManlyBruce

omg it had me on my toes the whole way. Amazing just wow bbz go and see it because it is just phenomenal. OMFG

Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Razzie for Ms Kunis Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI