Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Oz: The Great and Powerful

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Oz: The Great and Powerful Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oz: The Great and Powerful - 4/3/2013 1:41:20 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Oz: The Great and Powerful - 4/3/2013 1:48:05 PM   
AxlReznor

That's a far shorter review than I was expecting for this. And a far better rating, too (I was expecting two stars).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 4/3/2013 6:53:18 PM   
BenTramer

Mila Kunis would make a great Catwoman in a Batman movie, it's those huge, staring feline eyes of hers and she can play sexy and feisty too. I guess we're lucky that they didn't try and update the music from The Wizard of Oz by making this some godawful rap opera (oh shit, i've just given them an idea).

Post #: 3
Spoilers - 4/3/2013 8:38:48 PM   
Guinevere

Hmm, is there a pretty big spoiler in those last few lines? Hope not.

Post #: 4
re:Spoilers - 5/3/2013 8:48:30 AM   
Okester

"Hmm, is there a pretty big spoiler in those last few lines? Hope not. ... "
Yes. Strong hints in the review of certain Western tendancies from youn Miss Kunis.Is it just me or do Empire's reviews often seem spoilerific these days?

Post #: 5
re:Spoilers - 5/3/2013 8:48:34 AM   
Okester

"Hmm, is there a pretty big spoiler in those last few lines? Hope not. ... "
Yes. Strong hints in the review of certain Western tendancies from youn Miss Kunis.Is it just me or do Empire's reviews often seem spoilerific these days?

Post #: 6
RE: Spoilers - 5/3/2013 2:52:21 PM   
Judge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guinevere

Hmm, is there a pretty big spoiler in those last few lines? Hope not.

I wouldn't go on either Mila Kunis' or the film's IMDB pages if I was you and didn't want to find out who she's credited as.

(in reply to Guinevere)
Post #: 7
RE: Spoilers - 8/3/2013 11:24:50 PM   
Whistler

After the nonsense of Drag Me To Hell and the downright awful Spider-Man 3, Raimi's back on form. He gives us two hours of genuine fun and adventure, and leaves us wanting more from this world. A success.

You can read my full review through the link in my sig, if you want.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 8
CGI of Oz - 9/3/2013 1:56:06 AM   
J_BUltimatum

With the tag on the poster "From the Producers of Alice in Wonderland" most hope was lost, This, unfortunately, focuses on what looks nice and doesn't really fit in with what has gone on in Oz before (apart from him arriving in a balloon). What astounds me is that the very little script that is here is awful (like "Alice") and the CGI, and 3D is the worst I have seen in a long time (funnily like "Alice"). I would recommend Oz fans staying away and non Oz fans staying clear too!

Post #: 9
Just barely okay - 9/3/2013 11:06:56 AM   
Jasper_29

Some nice 3D sequences. Some of the actors are above average. There is nothing great about this movie so where the four stars come from I have no idea.

Post #: 10
RE: Just barely okay - 9/3/2013 12:41:21 PM   
dseys

I have the feeling the rating will be updated when dvd-release comes.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 11
RE: Just barely okay - 9/3/2013 6:40:44 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

Is this worth watching in theaters or should I wait for the DVD release?

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 12
Ozzzzz... - 9/3/2013 9:21:53 PM   
sunflies

The Great and Powerful Fidget Fuel. The first third is very promising, but the remainder fails to deliver. Dull, despite the vivid palette.
What Raimi dud well with the Spider-Man films was to convince us to invest in the emotional story so that the unbelievable became believable. Here, one can't help but be distracted by the shoddy 3D and a very "filmed indoors" feel.
Very disappointing.

Post #: 13
RE: Just barely okay - 9/3/2013 9:26:59 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lisamoviegeek

Is this worth watching in theaters or should I wait for the DVD release?

I seem to be alone here, but yeah, I think you should go see it.

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 14
too long - 10/3/2013 12:37:02 AM   
tysmuse

Too long and too much shrieking from the flying baboon things, but Franco is funny and it looks great.

Post #: 15
Oz the greatly boring and dreadful - 10/3/2013 8:18:25 AM   
DEECEE

Dont go and see this film. It is an insult to the original. It was so boring we walked out after an hour. Only stayed that long to finish our pop corn

Post #: 16
Oz the greatly boring and dreadful - 10/3/2013 8:18:37 AM   
DEECEE

Dont go and see this film. It is an insult to the original. It was so boring we walked out after an hour. Only stayed that long to finish our pop corn

Post #: 17
Oz the greatly boring and dreadful - 10/3/2013 8:18:39 AM   
DEECEE

Post #: 18
Boring and poorly acted - 10/3/2013 10:14:05 AM  1 votes
fatgoods

I usually find Empire reviews reflect my view but this review is so far off the mark it's unreal. I am wondering if Kim saw a different movie to everyone else?
It was a really boring movie and was so poorly acted that I found myself not caring about any of the characters at all. Yes it was visually pretty but that does not make a good film.

Post #: 19
RE: Spoilers - 10/3/2013 12:38:20 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

After the nonsense of Drag Me To Hell and the downright awful Spider-Man 3, Raimi's back on form. He gives us two hours of genuine fun and adventure, and leaves us wanting more from this world. A success.

Oh disagree on that, DMTH was really good fun for me, and at least it didn't have Franco in

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 20
RE: Spoilers - 10/3/2013 12:49:24 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Oh disagree on that, DMTH was really good fun for me, and at least it didn't have Franco in

Yeah, I know quite a few people who liked it much more than I did. It started out really promising, but then just descended into silliness and wasted what could've been a good horror.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 21
RE: Spoilers - 10/3/2013 8:38:23 PM   
fairyprincess

When did the wicked witch get so modest The witches costume is very similar to the original except, she seems to have here boobies out. Persumably, at some point she stood in front of a mirror thinking "green tits, who wants to see them?"

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 22
RE: Spoilers - 11/3/2013 10:01:01 AM   
SarahBanks195

See I thought the film was ok, and I watched the interview with the cast first as I always think that is a way of telling by how they are and talk about it for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyW1H1cJ04

But I was surprised by the fact that Franco and Braff work quite well together but also quite disappointed by the general lead up to Kunis's ending as its pretty obvious what happens by how everyone talks and would of been nice to leave some mystery to it but oh well

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 23
RE: Spoilers - 11/3/2013 10:19:30 AM   
blackduck

Surprised at such strong negative feedback.

I thought it was a reasonable three star movie.

Not a big fan of 3D but I thought there were some nice touches in the black and white section.
James Franco was good as Oz but he needed someone better to bounce off, Zach Braffs monkey was really well done, but was too dull to be a proper sidekick. Same with China Girl, when he first meets her it's a beautiful scene, but she's a bit bland after that. Kunis was ok (leather trousers were a bit distracting) but she only came to life in the second half of the movie.

The main problem for me was the amount of time I spent backwards engineering the orignal (why no ruby slippers) so I kept expecting and pre guessing things rather than just watch the movie. But overall it was ok, enough good things to stop it being bad, enough bad things to stop it being great.

Question, was Oz meant to be a dream or real?
In the orignal when Dorothy woke up it was all a dream (and you were there and you and you). But the wizard doesn't wake up, he lives a long life in Oz only to leave at the end of Dorothys dream.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 24
RE: Spoilers - 11/3/2013 10:34:16 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Saw this in 2D yesterday was put off 3D by seeing Hansel & Gretell in the format & though I thought visually it was excellent the story just didn't match it I was surprised how unfunny the jokes were & how much less scarier than the Wizard Of Oz it was, it seemed it was aimed squarly at little kids which is a surpise & a shame when you look who it came from.
Still it's taken a bucketload of $ in the US & probably likewise over here so well probably be seeing a sequel.
Not the 4 stars Empire gave it for the visuals yes but as a whole an ok 3 at most.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 25
RE: Spoilers - 11/3/2013 3:25:39 PM   
goldleader

Enjoyable film but 3 stars at best for me also.

It looked great and i enjoyed it but for some reason there is just something missing from the whole film and i can't quite put my finger on what it was. Maybe its the fact that there isn't any real peril as we know all the main four characters appear in The Wizard of Oz so aren't going to die and the fact that the evil Witches don't really don anything evil to the people of OZ so why do they need to be stopped?????

However i did like the way the Wicked Witch is created and is more of a tragic villain that an out right bad guy (much like Darth Vader to be honest).

Agree with others usually Empire get their reviews spot on, but with this i think they are a little off. I recommend to go and watch the film in the cinema but don't expect a stand out classic and i can't believe it but i'm going to recommend watching it in 3D also. Think it did add a good bit to this film.

Also we took kids to see this, 2 of them were 4 and one was 7 and they all loved it and didn't get restless at all.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 26
Fun movie... unless you're a feminist - 12/3/2013 8:02:21 AM   
Sas22

I really enjoyed this movie to start with. I was intrigued where it would go. But coming out of the cinema, I started thinking... why are all the women characters either naive farmgirls, witches, or fragile china dolls who need a man to swoop in and rescue them? Just wonderin'!

Post #: 27
Stunning - 12/3/2013 12:22:04 PM   
Derek B

I loved it. Saw it in IMAX 3D & it took my breath away. Best 3D movie since Avatar. I have loved both the Oz movies, yes even Return to OZ, but went with an open mind & not comparing it to the Wizard Of Oz. Fanco could be a bit annoying at times but the girls, especially Mila were fab. Planning on going to see it again

Post #: 28
Razzie for Ms Kunis - 12/3/2013 2:38:09 PM   
tbrock

Stunning looking film but bad film making, bad script, and terrible acting. Kunis' is bang on for a razzie nomination. Remember when we tried to like Sam Raimi's Spiderman films? The Oz fails for all the same reasons.

Post #: 29
RE: Razzie for Ms Kunis - 12/3/2013 6:49:10 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

I went into this without much in the way of expectation and possibly because of that I really enjoyed it.

It was a fun, entertaining piece of fluff - nothing much more that that but that's fine. I thought Franco did a good job in the role of Oz and had nice support from Braff - although they could have done with a bit more banter.  There are some problems. Whatever peril there is in the film is "mild" at most and the Wicked Witches don't really seem to do very much to back up their bluster.

It also seems that Theodora turns to the dark side remarkably easily considering that she basically just feels scorned - hell hath no fury eh? Oz and Co also seem all to happy to accept what they're told by Evanora and by Glinda ("I'm  the good one", "No, I am!". "Okay then.")

Having said that though It looks fantastic throughout - Oz never really looks real  but I don't think that's the point. It's a funny and charming old fashioned tale of good versus evil and that's all it needs to be.

3 stars

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to tbrock)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Oz: The Great and Powerful Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI