Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Hobbit Passes The $1 Billion Mark

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Hobbit Passes The $1 Billion Mark Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hobbit Passes The $1 Billion Mark - 4/3/2013 12:53:07 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 4/3/2013 12:53:07 PM   
BelfastBoy

This is totally random, but I'm a frustrated wannabe novelist who writes scifi. UK literary agents generally want stuff that has the potential to crossover into film or TV, yet very few are interested in reading scifi / fantasy proposals. Yet of the top 15 films listed above, practically all of them are in that genre, so clearly people like to watch that sort of thing!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Fantasy Rocks! - 4/3/2013 1:13:52 PM   
BenTramer

@BelfastBoy I'm in the same boat, my friend. Harry Potter was turned down by every publisher and ended up being the biggest writing phenomenon of recent years. Agents and publishers only want to publish celeb rubbish to make money. It's not about quality. You're better off self-publishing, don't waste anymore of your life waiting on rejection letters.

Post #: 3
It's all a bit 'Burger King' isn't it? - 4/3/2013 1:24:02 PM   
Nicky C

13 out of 15 are franchises and, to my mind, only 5 of them are really that good. Makes you realize that a) The Oscars look pretty redundant when very few winners are this commercially successful and b) Hollywood only has itself to blame if really good movies don't do well. People tend to watch the movies that are advertised the most. All these top 15 had print campaigns that cost more than most movies' production budgets.

Post #: 4
Very odd - 4/3/2013 2:58:46 PM   
stevos

How can a film, that people aren't exactly talking about, and has hardly got any buzz, break $1billion?! Shows you how much stupid money is in the global film business.

Post #: 5
When's it out on VHS? - 4/3/2013 8:56:52 PM   
haranjen

I'll wait for the 5 hour long special edition blu ray, only then will I really be able to appreciate how much Peter Jackson can string out a thin storyline.

Post #: 6
Adjust for Inflation - 4/3/2013 9:01:00 PM   
haranjen

These figures mean nothing, when adjusted for inflation it turns out Howard the Duck took 3.6 billion dollars at the US box office alone. And that's an English billion (1,000,000,000,000) - not of that 100 million crap the yanks have made us use.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Hobbit Passes The $1 Billion Mark Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI