Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Welcome To The Punch - 4/3/2013 12:07:53 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
A refreshing amount of ambition for a UK thriller. - 4/3/2013 12:07:53 PM   
Nicky C

Totally agree with Empire on this one. Really excited to see a London-based thriller that's doesn't cut to black cabs, red post boxes and Big Ben. Afficianados of the genre will see some of the plot points coming but the quality is undeniable. If Creevy continues like this and brings in another writer to help transcend expectations as well as polish up his dialogue (some of it was a little 'on the nose') then there is no doubt that he is soon going to make a true British crime classic. This is isn't quite it, but it's so bloody close that I can't wait to see what he does next. In fact a sequel to this would be a good start. I'd happily watch Max and Jacob for another 2 hours. Budding UK filmmakers need to see this, it's really inspiring stuff!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: A refreshing amount of ambition for a UK thriller. - 4/3/2013 4:52:10 PM   
elab49

Possible Spoilers

Apparently he sees them in Hong Kong. Apt given London's starring role as HK in the film

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 3
RE: A refreshing amount of ambition for a UK thriller. - 16/3/2013 7:12:10 PM   
Davross

Bit of a disapointment for me this. Looks lovely but the storytelling didn't grab me and the whole thing was a bit cheesey. Dialogue didn't help.

Actually, on second thoughts, it probably was a boat accident!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
refreshing rather than groundbreaking - 17/3/2013 5:52:16 PM   
tysmuse

Nice to see brit movies like this being made. It's not really clever or engaging, but it does have two great (suspenseful) scenes - the moment in the container, and the bit at with that guy's mum.

Post #: 5
Liked it! - 17/3/2013 8:30:41 PM   
Mister Coe

Saw it today, really enjoyed it. It's a nice to see a British film that doesn't revolve around varying forms of depression on a council estate. Yes, the plot was a bit convuluted and it was a bit cast-to-type, but there was some nice splashy shoot-outs and, as the review said, it made London look fucking awesome!

Post #: 6
RE: Liked it! - 18/3/2013 8:37:17 AM   
Dr Lenera

A few years ago, criminal mastermind Jacob Sternwood injured London detective Max Lewinsky and fled to Iceland to escape the clutches of the police. He has now returned to London because his son has been shot and wounded in a failed heist. This gives Lewinsky another chance to catch the man he has always been after. Max’s lieutenant tells him to back off, but he secretly works with his partner Sarah to join the hunt. Meanwhile, Jacob tries to find out why one of his gang members is on a murderous rampage, putting him on a collision course with Max……

A couple of weeks ago I checked out writer/director Eran Creevy’s film prior to this one, called Shifty, and was quite impressed by a film which was made for peanuts yet rose above the glut of miserabilist council-estate dramas with its look, heart and honestly. I reckon that anyone could tell Creevy had talent to spare, and now he has made a second movie, on a higher budget but still one that would barely count as lunch money for a Steven Spielberg production. Well, after walking out from Welcome To The Punch you’ll still probably think that Creevy has talent to spare, but a talent that needs focusing and disciplining. It’s a film which has great potential and seems like it’s going to be brilliant in the early stages, while Creevy’s enthusiasm bursts off the screen throughout, but I wonder if being both the scriptwriter and the director of what is partially an action movie was a mistake when there are so many bad choices and considerable clumsiness which increase as the film goes on.

Now straight away I must emphasise that Welcome To The Punch looks, and indeed, sounds, fantastic, while it’s equally great that a huge effort had been made to not have the story take place in the world you would expect it to. No cockney geezers, no red buses, in fact apart from a few aerial shots you can barely tell the movie was set and filmed in London at all. The London of this film is perhaps the London you would imagine Michael Mann or Christopher Nolan to put on screen, full of neon skyscrapers and rather dehumanized. The low budget means that this world seems sparsely populated, but that adds to the vague science-fictional feel. Nearly everything is drenched in a cold blue that sometimes works wonders. There is an incredibly atmospheric scene set in a disused nightclub where the dance floor light is swaying back and forth bathing everything in light blue accompanied by enhanced sound effects. The eerie effect of this scene [which, of course, is soon interrupted by gunplay] is something I won’t forget for a long time. Harry Escott’s omni-present Tangerine Dream meets Giorgio Moroder meets Hans Zimmer score would probably be a pretty boring listen on its own but goes perfectly with the images, helping to ramp up the excitement at choice moments and certainly aiding the often unusual atmosphere.

Of course there’s also a plot and it does its best to keep you on your toes. For a while it seems like we are watching a British Heat. At other times the proceedings seem closer to something like The Killer. Unfortunately the film makes less and less sense as it goes on and I wondered if this story would do better as a TV mini-series where it would have time to breath. Creevy packs a lot into his tale, which keeps the pace fast, but it sometimes seems like too much, and some things make so little impact that they would have been better off not being in the film at all. For instance there are good scenes between James MacAvoy and Andrea Riseborough early on, seemingly the hero and heroine of the film, and they even have some chemistry, but it’s all for nought. You certainly won’t be bored watching Welcome To The Punch, but it gives the impression of being cut down from a longer version which made a bit more sense. The film feels cluttered, though it’s also very predictable in places. I guessed a lot of what was going on half way through and spotted a supposedly ‘secret’ villain right near the beginning, which is bad considering I’m usually crap at that sort of thing. I always admire films which attempt a decent plot as well as lots of action though.

The action…..well……there really is plenty of it, far more actually than the latest films to come from Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone and Jason Statham. Motorbikes race down tunnels, people shoot at each other in cars, and rounds and round of ammunition are fired in houses. I’ve read of the influence of John Woo in two reviews, but Woo’s gunplay is graceful and balletic despite all the mayhem. Most of the action in this film is shot in the dreadful fashion of most action in films today, meaning that close-ups rule and it’s hard to tell who has been shot [this isn’t helped by having many cast-members looking virtually the same] or indeed what the hell has happened. There’s less shakycam than in some films, but Creevy is just doing what all the young directors doing action [well, not just action, think of the horror that was Les Miserables] seem to do. What is disturbing and dreadful for cinema [as I pointed out in my review of the afore-mentioned musical] is how no review I have read so far has mentioned this, meaning that this rubbish is becoming the excepted norm. Creevy just needs to mature. He’s got time. Take Nolan; in Batman Begins the action was abysmally shot, but fast-forward to The Dark Knight Returns and he’s finally learnt how to do it properly, you know, so you can see what’s going on and don’t get sore eyes or feel sick.

There is the odd scene or image which is brilliant, like some rather spooky snooping around the most forbidding dockland area ever, especially when the camera rises into the air to reveal the heroine trapped in a hell of dark buildings and eerie yellow lights. The film is mostly handled seriously though there’s a great stand-off involving lots of armed men and an old lady who is being held hostage but doesn’t know it [some cool slow-motion in this scene too], while Creevy even seems to throw an anti-gun message in there. His fine cast mostly do a great job in the film even when spouting some clumsy dialogue or usually playing archetypes rather than characters. It’s interesting to have a villain who is somewhat sympathetic though, and Mark Strong delivers another superb performance in this role. He may play villain after villain in films, but not one of them is the same. His baddie in Sherlock Holmes is very different from the one in Kick-Ass who is very different from the one in this movie. James MacAvoy seems uneasy playing a part that he seems miscast for, looking too sweet and fresh, while his London accent comes and goes throughout.

I really wanted to praise Welcome To The Punch to the skies. Any British film these days that isn’t a rom-com, heritage drama, kitchen-sink tale or geezer-filled gangster picture deserves praise. Creevy not only wanted to entertain with his film but also to prove we can do different stuff than the norm. The result is certainly lots of fun, but it has far too many flaws to be a total success despite some points of considerable merit. Some of them you can put down to Creezy’s relative inexperience. He’s certainly got a bright future and could productively snapped up by Hollywood but I would prefer it if he stayed here.
6.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 18/3/2013 8:40:53 AM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 7
Hollywood visualpanache plus all the clichés - 21/3/2013 6:24:33 PM   
nortonglr

Vacuous style over content exercise-lovely looking London- a night time, neon lit, blue gun metal colours & glass. Lovely. But the characters are stock trade cut outs with little depth. You never really get to know them or feel for them. mcAvoy makes a lightweight tough guy cop- especially sharing time with Harris & Strong. Enjoyable but forgettable. Loved the dark humoured Slow-mo Mexican stand-off in the Grans council house though.

Post #: 8
Great fun - 21/3/2013 9:04:28 PM   
bretty

Gritty London based thriller. Moves with pace and it all works rather well.....

Post #: 9
Surprisingly good - 22/3/2013 2:01:46 AM   
Jucca

Went to watch it without really expecting anything (although I am a fan of both leading actors). It surprised me with both style and storytelling. And though I live in London, never have seen the city look like this :)

Post #: 10
You've never seen London this deserted... - 22/3/2013 6:13:22 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

An efficient, minimalistic thriller which focuses on a surprisingly linear plot rather than character development. The script is as free from extraneous banter as it is from tertiary characters, and this leads to quite a claustrophobic atmosphere at times.
I can see why the film isn't for everyone, but Welcome To The Punch has an intensity that's not easily matched these days.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 11
A very weak plot with unrealistic two dimensional chara... - 2/8/2013 3:40:19 PM   
harrythefilm

All the hyperbole of Hollywood, but with the sophistication of a school project.
I’m not sure if the other reviewers actually saw the movie but this really is weak. I watched the movie with several friends. One fell asleep and another left the room to check email. I sat it out as I had nothing else to do and felt relief when the titles finally rolled. Surely we can do better than this?

Post #: 12
RE: A very weak plot with unrealistic two dimensional c... - 7/8/2013 1:15:31 PM   
Vitamin F

God, this was dull & amateurish beyond it's looks.
It's all style over substance, and with the exception of a couple of minor turns in the plot it's very hackneyed and cliche-ridden, even the cast aren't on form here. Some ludicrous dialogue and a generally pedestrian approach to plotting sealed it's fate I'm afraid.

(in reply to harrythefilm)
Post #: 13
LONDON CONFIDENTIAL - 15/8/2013 4:19:24 PM   
ROTGUT

Loads of style over substance – but man – what style! London has never looked so glamorous - a blue steel, neon drenched lover letter to Michael Mann with mood and violence to spare. I liked the low key script and performances and you always got the feeling there was something nasty brooding just beneath the glistening, rain drenched splendour. Mark Strong was the best thing about that horrendously produced 2011 Green Lantern movie and here, both he and McAvoy make for convincing adversaries, with the sparse interchanges between them seemingly speaking volumes. If the film loses a few points for originality it more than makes up for it with some dense plotting, slickly staged car chases and ferocious shoot outs. A three star film but with an added extra star for the ambitious visuals. FOUR STARS

Post #: 14
LONDON CONFIDENTIAL - 15/8/2013 4:19:26 PM   
ROTGUT

Loads of style over substance – but man – what style! London has never looked so glamorous - a blue steel, neon drenched lover letter to Michael Mann with mood and violence to spare. I liked the low key script and performances and you always got the feeling there was something nasty brooding just beneath the glistening, rain drenched splendour. Mark Strong was the best thing about that horrendously produced 2011 Green Lantern movie and here, both he and McAvoy make for convincing adversaries, with the sparse interchanges between them seemingly speaking volumes. If the film loses a few points for originality it more than makes up for it with some dense plotting, slickly staged car chases and ferocious shoot outs. A three star film but with an added extra star for the ambitious visuals. FOUR STARS

Post #: 15
RE: Welcome To The Punch - 1/9/2013 10:03:33 PM   
rocheyb

I have just watched Welcome to the Punch on BluRay. I keep seeing reviews - and hearing the same from Mark Kermode - that the film lacks characterisation. I don't agree. I think the characterisation is there, in the actions and behaviour of McAvoy and Strong's characters, but also in the main supporting players, too. It does play out like Heat-Lite: this film has a running time of 100mins compared to the additional 71mins of Michael Mann's masterpiece, so there simply isn't time for a sit down chat at a cafe. But it gets the job done and although the plot twists and turns in ways that I didn't completely keep up with, I really didn't care - I enjoyed it and I know that I'll watch it again soon, so I'll fill in the gaps then.

McAvoy is a compelling screen presence. I don't agree that he looks too young or slight for the part. In fact, he looks a lot like a friend of mine who used to be with Thames Valley Police. And Mark Strong is one of those actors who doesn't have to do very much for you to understand where his character is at and what he is thinking. Peter Mullan was also class and the guy I thought was Eddie Marsan actually turned out to be Johnny Harris - but anyone who knows their film will realise that's no slight on him. SPOILER --- My only complaint is that they didn't do enough with Andrea Riseborough's character to make her death carry much weight, although she played the scene very well --- End of SPOILER.

It's not in the same class as Heat, or LA Confidential for that matter, but it is good and very enjoyable, so I'd recommend it. I think Empire have got the star rating right on this one.

Post #: 16
RE: Welcome To The Punch - 2/9/2013 4:49:54 PM   
filmburner30

At last a British crime movie which isnt full of mockneys or about the Essex Range Rover Murders AGAIN

it may stumble in a few places but on the whole its pretty darn good 7.5/10

< Message edited by filmburner30 -- 2/9/2013 4:51:13 PM >

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to rocheyb)
Post #: 17
A great British thriller. - 2/6/2014 9:45:17 AM   
TroyPutland

Check out my other reviews on www.straighttelling.co.uk

East-end London has never looked so good. A metallic blue flair has been washed over Canary Wharf. It's clean, sleek and almost futuristic. We see Detective Lewinsky (McAvoy) chasing Jacob Sternwood (Strong) along the deserted streets of the city centre, but he ends up incapacitated because he doesn't follow direct orders.

The opening scene sets the pace nicely, and you can tell from the get go that this is a revenge movie. At least that would be the case if it lacked its shocks and twists. After years of pain and suffering, nothing will stop Lewinsky from catching Sternwood. Along for the ride is detective Hawks (Riseborough). Between them they being to reveal a conspiracy that's buried underneath the death of Sternwood's son.

Eran Creevy has focused so much on the plot that the characters, although they stand tall, have little room to expand. It's thanks to the superb acting that we have a connection with them at all. A romance never ignites where it should but never fear, what Welcome to the Punch lacks in with emotion, it more than makes up for in intensity.

A scene that has a Reservoir Dogs feel to it is tense and thrilling. Johnny Harris is assassin Dean Ward. He's forced to sit in front of his nan with the enemy and stay cool and not attract any unwanted attention (from the even unaware nan). This scene is one of the many that is full of tension. Great camerawork and some fine scripting makes for gripping action that stays with us until the end.

Overview: Welcome to the Punch has a magnificent cast that manage to rise above the plot.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Welcome To The Punch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI