Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arbitrage - 2/3/2013 10:44:53 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
it's ok, sure - 2/3/2013 10:44:53 PM   
tysmuse

Little bit overrated. Gere is superb though.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Arbitrage - 6/3/2013 9:56:59 PM   
GCH

I thought this was a really good, old-fashioned sort of thriller, but with the twist that the protagonist is a piece of sh1t. When he gets the chance to do the right thing he usually chooses to take the selfish option, no matter who gets hurt in the process. Well-acted throughout, especially Richard Gere, Tim Roth and Susan Sarandon.

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Arbitrage - 10/3/2013 12:18:27 PM   
ElephantBoy

Stylish and intelligent modern thriller, with assured direction from first timer Jarecki.

Richard Gere is perfectly cast, as a slimey, but desprate business man who will do anything to provate his world from caving in. This is the cold, nasty Gere which we have seen in films such as Eternal Affairs. The complex nature of the character was how he kept his cards very close to his chast, and seem to be able to switch the charm on and off depending on who he was dealing with. The opening few minutes with him going from solid family man, to sexy suducer were very well played. At times it was almost like he was an old fashioned guy who was trapped by a modern fast paced world.

Tim Roth is very good value as the rough around the edges Cop who is happy to bend the rules to get his man, and while Sarandon was given a slight role, she did make the most of it, investing real weight behind the character during one intense blow up scene with her husband.

My only slight issue was the malodrama in the middle of the film did feel a little contrived.

On the whole however this was a very well paced, believeable and finely acted thriller, which will surely go down as one of the years best debuts.

8/10

(in reply to GCH)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Arbitrage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI