Les Misérables

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Les Misérables Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Les Misérables - 2/3/2013 1:42:54 AM   
Whistler

I figured it's about time there was an official thread for this film. I saw it for the third time and I'm in no way ashamed to admit I completely balled my eyes out once again. With each viewing it's improved, and any the little things that I thought maybe didn't work so well the first time seem to have just disappeared. A phenomenal experience.

Any love?

(You can read my review through the link in my sig )

< Message edited by Whistler -- 17/3/2013 4:01:16 PM >

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire
Post #: 1
RE: Les Misérables - 2/3/2013 2:24:36 AM   
Hood_Man

I've seen it so many times in the cinema now I think I've beaten a personal record

Usually I'm quite harsh with musicals as I get impatient quickly if something seems to be dragging on, but I'm obsessed with this film. The decision to get the actors to sing live on set has made this a musical unlike any I've seen before, and the use of closeups to show the effort and emotion the actors are putting into it blows my mind.

It doesn't always work though, I thought they got everything about "Bring Hime Home" absolutely wrong, and I still can't figure out why they chose Russell Crowe. For the most part though, I absolutely loved it.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 2
RE: Les Misérables - 2/3/2013 5:56:08 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It's certainly a favourite of mine. It was really my introduction to the musical and I've since become quite the fan.

Like Hood, I think the decision to go live was brilliant. There's a moment when Jackman sings What Have I Done and his voice cracks that's just superb. And unlike many I love Crowe and his performance.

My main problem is the drippy love triangle and this is certainly the weakest aspect of the film when compared to other versions. And they totally ballsed up Master Of the House. On the whole though, amazing.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Les Misérables - 2/3/2013 9:24:23 PM   
Mister Coe

I will also throw some love at Les Mis...

I'll also mention something... I've noticed that when I talk to people about this film, the ones who watched it with no experience of the stage play love it... but those who've seen it in a theatre are quite dismissive. They don't hate it, but they're always saying 'well, it's not as good as the play...'

And I'm not talking about theatre snobs, I'm talking about people like my mum and her best mate and a few people where I work and, believe me, these are not pretentious people. They ALL just think that the film is lacking a certain something...

Anyone else been getting this vibe?

Say what now?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4
RE: Les Misérables - 3/3/2013 2:07:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've noticed that a bit. Maybe it's simply one of those things that the version you see first you always prefer. The changes in the way some songs are sung I know bothers some people. Hugh Jackman has a great singing voice bit in the film he rarely belts out a tune like, say, Colm Wilkinson, in the original West end production and for those looking for some real power in the vocals to certain songs that could be a problem.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 5
RE: Les Misérables - 3/3/2013 7:21:54 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I've noticed that a bit. Maybe it's simply one of those things that the version you see first you always prefer. The changes in the way some songs are sung I know bothers some people. Hugh Jackman has a great singing voice bit in the film he rarely belts out a tune like, say, Colm Wilkinson, in the original West end production and for those looking for some real power in the vocals to certain songs that could be a problem.

I think that's it. The film was my introduction to Les Mis, and consequently I prefer its version of the songs to the stage versions I've listened to online. I'm sure the live show is fantastic, but there's just that emotional, vulnerable factor present in the film that the stage versions - from what I've heard - just don't seem to have.

Eddy's Film Review

Post #: 6
RE: Les Misérables - 3/3/2013 7:25:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Which versions have you listened to?

Much more better!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 7
RE: Les Misérables - 3/3/2013 7:40:05 AM   
Whistler

This, among others. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miserables-Original-London-Cast/dp/B009S4CBJM/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362296106&sr=1-2

Every version I've heard is pretty great, I just think the film's the best.

Eddy's Film Review

Post #: 8
RE: Les Misérables - 3/3/2013 7:46:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've listened to that one a lot as well.

The one sing I do think doesn't work in the film is Master Of The House, especially in comparison to the 10th Anniversary Concert which has an amazing version. The Confrontation as well maybe. On film it worked really well but the west end version is very slow and brooding, quite menacing really.

Almost all of the other songs I reckon the film is at least equal and sometimes better to any other version I've heard. Another thing that helps if the full orchestral score used in the film.

Much more better!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 9
RE: Les Misérables - 4/3/2013 12:37:07 PM   
jcthefirst

For all the plaudits Anne Hathaway got for the brilliant rendition of 'I Dreamed A Dream,' the bit that stays with me the most was her voice on one word: dead. That killed me.

I loved Les Mis up until we jumped forward to all the Rebellion stuff. I just didn't feel as connected to the characters, aside from the Samantha Barks as Éponine, whose solo song was the highlight of the second half. However, come the end, with Valjean and the ghost of Fantine appearing I was in bits again. And the rousing chorus at the very end I wanted to clap.

But I didn't.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 10
RE: Les Misérables - 4/3/2013 12:48:09 PM   
AxlReznor

The bit that got to me most with Anne Hathaway's performance of 'I Dreamed A Dream', is the moment she gets choked up and forces out the line "I had a dream my life would be so different from this hell I'm living". A perfect mixture of despair and anger that brought tears to my eyes for the first of many times in the movie. (Yes, real men not only cry, but admit to it).

Samantha Barks as Eponine is the most underrated aspect of that movie. She gave one of the best performances in the movie, and is absolutely gorgeous to boot... far more gorgeous than Cosette (which is in no way a slur against the also beautiful Amanda Seyfried).

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 11
RE: Les Misérables - 4/3/2013 6:36:30 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I really didn't give a stuff about Eponine, or any of the three young leads really, the situation they were caught up in was more involving then them themselves. That love triangle would usually bring a film down for me but there was so much greatness surrounding it I can't help but love the film entirely.

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 12
RE: Les Misérables - 11/3/2013 11:03:16 AM   
Whistler

The script!

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Les-Miserables.html

Eddy's Film Review

Post #: 13
RE: Les Misérables - 12/3/2013 12:06:51 PM   
ElephantBoy

As far as epic, sweeping cinema goes this has to be one of the best examples of recent times.

Found it to be very moving, and richly enjoyable, visually stunning also.

I still consider Hathaway a bit of a weak link (I don't say that likely as I am a huge fan of hers), her performance just seemed a bit too forced, and I found the overly sentimently nature of her during 'I dreamed a Dream' distracted from the power of the song, but I will keep an open mind and hope I feel differenly when I rewatch it.

Jackman, Crowe (even through he can't sing), Redmier, Cohan, Cater, Banks and Fanning were all great.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
RE: Les Misérables - 15/3/2013 12:19:19 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I thought this was great and I'm normally no fan of musicals. Just perfect as far as I'm concerned (even Crowe was good) although I've never seen any of the stage versions.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Les Misérables Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI