Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Broken City - 1/3/2013 8:01:13 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Another Bad Review! - 1/3/2013 8:01:13 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Ok... The amount of bad reviews going about (and I don't mean star wise, I mean badly written ones) at Empire just now is ridiculous! First of all, no way on gods great earth is this film worth 2 stars and films like Stoker and the AWFUL Zero Dark Thirty get more is beyond me! As for the bad reviewing. I think you guys are trying to over complicate reviews now by throwing in far too many cliches and trying to make them seem more thought out than they actually are.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
a mess - 2/3/2013 10:43:24 PM   
tysmuse

Walberg and Crowe are enjoyable, but the screenplay is an absolute mess.

Post #: 3
ho-hum - 2/3/2013 11:39:14 PM   
bretty

A 2 star "fair" is about right for this throwback film. The only good thing is that Walberg's character is flawed and so we avoid the ex-supercop stuff, but I am finding Crowe quite dull now.
It just doesn't work well enough but I have already seen a lot worse this year....

Post #: 4
2 star - 3/3/2013 2:27:06 PM   
dseys

I think Empire needs to use a bit more the 1-star rating, to make a real difference between a "very bad movie on every level" and a "disappointing movie that's still enjoyable in parts".

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 5
What a mess. - 3/3/2013 6:15:57 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Director Hughes, writer Brian Tucker and editor Cindy Mollo don't seem to know the difference between "complex", "convoluted" and "makes no sense".
Too many minor characters are platespun ineffectively, and the whole thing screams contractual obligation.
Some nice ideas, horribly executed.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 6
RE: What a mess. - 4/3/2013 5:44:36 PM   
jonson

So, me and the missus decided to watch this on Saturday ngiht, whilst waiting for the kids who were at a Justin Bieber concert. I wished I'd got tickets for that to be honest.
Apart from Wahlbergs PA who was very good (don't know her name, can't even remember what her name was in the film) it was fucking atrocious. The one surprise was Catherine Zeta Jones who I liked, but underused.
There were some random storylines interwoven that made no sense (his girlfriend) and Crowe was obviousyl contractually obliged to show his face.
I like Mark Wahlberg but he can't hold a film on his own.Some bloke got shot halfway through but I barely knew who he was or even cared.
The wife asked me on the way out if I'd enjoyed it, and I replied "I don't know, I don't really care, I'm not even sure I paid any attention" whihc just about summed it up.
To make matters worse, that Bieber twat was late going on stage so I spent an hour and a half drinking coffee and talking to the wife, which incredibly was more entertaining than the film.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 7
RE: What a mess. - 4/3/2013 6:04:35 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

So, me and the missus decided to watch this on Saturday ngiht, whilst waiting for the kids who were at a Justin Bieber concert. I wished I'd got tickets for that to be honest.
Apart from Wahlbergs PA who was very good (don't know her name, can't even remember what her name was in the film) it was fucking atrocious. The one surprise was Catherine Zeta Jones who I liked, but underused.
There were some random storylines interwoven that made no sense (his girlfriend) and Crowe was obviousyl contractually obliged to show his face.
I like Mark Wahlberg but he can't hold a film on his own.Some bloke got shot halfway through but I barely knew who he was or even cared.
The wife asked me on the way out if I'd enjoyed it, and I replied "I don't know, I don't really care, I'm not even sure I paid any attention" whihc just about summed it up.
To make matters worse, that Bieber twat was late going on stage so I spent an hour and a half drinking coffee and talking to the wife, which incredibly was more entertaining than the film.

That's the most depressing part of your grim tale by a mile

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 8
RE: What a mess. - 6/3/2013 7:28:06 PM   
dseys

I have to say i enjoyed this movie. The story was ok, there were enough mystery and suspense to keep the audience interest awake.

What was really good was Mark Whalberg's performance. I found his character very human, very likeable, attaching. I could feel his pain. The man's becoming a great actor.

But for me the best part was the great atmosphere throughout the movie, thanks to a good cinematography, a solid sound design and a haunting and beautiful ambient score by Atticuss Ross.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 9
Broken City - 8/6/2013 3:57:59 PM   
Conboy

http://filmfanboy.com/broken-city/

New York is this big messy place. The modern film noir returns with Allen Hughes ambitious Broken City starring Mark Wahlberg and Russell Crowe. It’s not a classic film about politics and crime but it remains entertaining for most of its length. If you have seen Roman Polanski’s Chinatown scripted by Robert Towne you’ve been spoiled by how great film noir can be. But to the credit he has re-invigorated a type of film not often seen in cinemas these days. Hughes with his brother Albert have collectively directed Menace II Society, Dead president and Book of Eli. Broken City is his first solo venture.

Wahlberg plays William “Billy” Taggert a disgraced New York cop who has escaped prison time for the murder of a rapist and murderer by cutting a deal with the New York mayor (Crowe). This is all covered in the opening 10 minutes setting the scene for an efficient thriller that keeps you hooked for most of its length.

“Some wars you fight and some wars you walk away from….this is not the fighting kind.” The mayor advises after forcing Billy to retire from the force. Cut to seven years later and now Taggert is a low rent private eye peeping in the windows of the unfaithful and chasing his clients for payments. “He’s a cut rate dick cheaper to hire and cheaper to throw away.” Until the Mayor comes calling again. A simple job spying on the Mayors wife goes bad and though the resolution is predictable it’s well executed with style and panache. On the periphery Billy’s relationship with his actress girlfriend Natalie (Barrow) is quickly sidelined at the halfway point of the film. After she concludes “there’s nothing holding us together anymore” that seems to be end of that.

The performers are strong. Wahlberg an under rated performer carries the film, he has to navigate the viewer through his character’s darker side and is effo

Post #: 10
Feels like half a plot ... - 18/12/2013 9:45:47 AM   
Nicky C

The problem with Broken City is that the plot is too simple and the characters have not been fully developed in the script. This being a noir, there has to be a hidden crime to uncover (check!), but then you have to go deeper and find a worse moral crime underneath (like Chinatown). Broken City doesn't have that extra layer and it keeps Crowe's character especially from being memorable, because the villain in noir needs to be evil, not just nasty. I was interested while the movie was on, but I was far from satisfied at the end. In the age of plot-tastic blockbusters like Nolan's Batman and Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes movies, I think the bar for 'serious noir' has been raised far above what Broken City manages to do. Shame, because Hughes has the tone bang on and the performances are uniformly good. Good production, good cast, good director, half-baked script.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Broken City Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI