Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

How to measure (financial) success?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> How to measure (financial) success? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to measure (financial) success? - 28/2/2013 1:48:44 PM   
Brundlesflies

I was just having a read through Box Office Mojo's March preview and I came across this passage relating to up-coming caveman 'toon The Croods:

"DreamWorks hasn't had a ton of success with original animated movies lately—Megamind was a bit underwhelming, while November's Rise of the Guardians is a well-documented disaster"

I read somewhere else that Dreamworks were laying off somewhere in the region of 350 staff in the wake of Rise's less than steller performance.

I then looked up the final tally's for each flick and their published budgets
Rise - $302m w/w gross: $145m Budget
Megamind - $321m w/w gross: $130m Budget

Now based on that Megamind only took somewhere in the region of $35m more than Rise - yet one is deemed 'slightly underwhelming' while the other is apparently an unmitigated disaster leading to mass unemployment

Now I know that Hollywood accounting is a Dark Art somewhat akin to necromancy (apparently Burton's Batman - $411m Gross: $35m Budget - never made a profit ), but surely someone somewhere is calling 'foul' on this type of thing?

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's
Post #: 1
RE: How to measure (financial) success? - 28/2/2013 3:07:20 PM   
Shifty Bench

They count how much the film took in the US as an indicator of how it did. Rise only took just over $102 million domestic which is less than its budget while Megamind took $148,415,853 domestic which is more than its budget.....

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 1/3/2013 12:45:22 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 2
RE: How to measure (financial) success? - 1/3/2013 11:58:45 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

$102,00,00

Are you pioneering a new kind of counting system?

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 3
RE: How to measure (financial) success? - 1/3/2013 12:11:41 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

They count how much the film took in the US as an indicator of how it did. Rise only took just over $102,00,00 domestic which is less than its budget while Megamind took $148,415,853 domestic which is more than its budget.....

Wait... so the rest of the world doesn't count? That's just really stupid, as far as I'm concerned. It should be worldwide gross that matters overall, not just domestic gross. Stupid bastards...

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: How to measure (financial) success? - 1/3/2013 12:44:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

$102,00,00

Are you pioneering a new kind of counting system?

I am, I think it'll catch on

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 5
RE: How to measure (financial) success? - 1/3/2013 1:03:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor
Wait... so the rest of the world doesn't count? That's just really stupid, as far as I'm concerned. It should be worldwide gross that matters overall, not just domestic gross. Stupid bastards...

The rest of the world doesn't really count when it comes to mainstream American releases - apart from being the domestic market, the States is, obviously, where the money is going to come in quickly because of the sheer number of screens available and the potential size of the audience. By contrast, takings from the rest of the world are a lot slower to come in (and smaller), and other costs have to be factored in before any ROW takings can be added to the overall box office take.

This is why some films have historically been considered as box office disaster, even if their world wide gross puts them into clear profit.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 6
RE: How to measure (financial) success? - 12/3/2013 1:29:33 PM   
Moorish

To be you measure the success of a film by the following:

- Do people talk about it? Good, bad... doesn't matter. As long as they aren't indifferent / unaware / not caring.

- Did it make a profit?

The buck really stops with that second one, but obviously that first one is going to be the deciding factor.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> How to measure (financial) success? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI