Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Several dead in Swiss shooting

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Several dead in Swiss shooting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Several dead in Swiss shooting - 27/2/2013 11:34:01 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

CLICKY

Will this have any impact on the US gun debate? The pro-gun lobby is forever citing Switzerland as some sort of crime-free Utopia where firearms are readily available...

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 1
RE: Several dead in Swiss shooting - 27/2/2013 1:00:56 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo
The pro-gun lobby is forever citing Switzerland as some sort of crime-free Utopia

Cos it's not full of Americans.

I doubt it will have any impact at all - Swiss gun ownership has a very different background than most other countries, so the US pro-lobby will just differentiate this particular incident and say the two countries cannot be compared, just as they have whenever the subject of Swiss individual murder and suicide rates is brought up.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Several dead in Swiss shooting - 27/2/2013 1:47:44 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

The pro-gun lobby is forever citing Switzerland as some sort of crime-free Utopia

I doubt it will have any impact at all - Swiss gun ownership has a very different background than most other countries, so the US pro-lobby will just differentiate this particular incident and say the two countries cannot be compared, just as they have whenever the subject of Swiss individual murder and suicide rates is brought up.

I may be wrong, but I think that while gun ownership is very common in Switzerland, they're not allowed to keep ammunition in the house (or something like that) so the two countries really don't compare.

< Message edited by superdan -- 27/2/2013 1:48:19 PM >

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 3
RE: Several dead in Swiss shooting - 27/2/2013 1:59:40 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

I may be wrong, but I think that while gun ownership is very common in Switzerland, they're not allowed to keep ammunition in the house (or something like that) so the two countries really don't compare.

Yar, they probs don't compare. And, obviously, a Swiss "massacre" it seems is very different from an American massacre.

I don't think any country's gun laws (or use) can be compared with the States.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Several dead in Swiss shooting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI