Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative criticism.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative criticism. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative crit... - 26/2/2013 6:26:08 PM   
ladybooger

Run For Your Wife has been systematically trashed by critics all over.

I had no intention of seeing this movie but now having read just how awful this Danny Dyer vehicle is, I am half tempted to go see it - just to see what all the fuss is about.

If I'm lucky it'll be so bad that's it good - much like Love, Honour and Obey was...

Can this be moved back to movie musings. this is more about terrible movies in general than run for your wife. i changed the title to reflect this.

< Message edited by ladybooger -- 26/2/2013 10:24:21 PM >

Read my blog - The Exorcist - Magical Fantasy http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/blogs.asp?UID=289447
Post #: 1
RE: Run For Your Wife - 26/2/2013 9:14:38 PM   
Mister Coe

Danny Dyer? In a comedy? Supported by Denise Van Outen and the blonde that nobody fancies nowadays from Girls Aloud?

WHY would you watch this thing?

Seriously, WHY?

Say what now?
Post #: 2
RE: Run For Your Wife - 26/2/2013 9:20:18 PM   
ladybooger

in his book 'The Good, the Bad and the Multiplex' Mark Kermode comments on how negative criticism is not responsible for killing a movie and that in fact excessive negative criticism (like Run for your Wife) in some cases helps a movie in that punters go to see it to see what all the fuss is about - which is true in my case. im half interested in seeing it to see if it is as truly bad as they say.

i often get a good laugh watching terrible movies. its the schadenfreud in me.

Read my blog - The Exorcist - Magical Fantasy http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/blogs.asp?UID=289447

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 3
RE: Run For Your Wife - 26/2/2013 11:38:21 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ladybooger

in his book 'The Good, the Bad and the Multiplex' Mark Kermode comments on how negative criticism is not responsible for killing a movie and that in fact excessive negative criticism (like Run for your Wife) in some cases helps a movie in that punters go to see it to see what all the fuss is about - which is true in my case. im half interested in seeing it to see if it is as truly bad as they say.

Luckily in this case the Good Doctor's thoery proved wrong

Whats that £745 at the Box Office I hear?

(in reply to ladybooger)
Post #: 4
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 1:32:25 AM   
MonsterCat

I want to see this just to get a perverse pleasure from watching Dyer crash and burn as a comedic actor.

He's such a fucking spanner.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to ladybooger)
Post #: 5
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 7:50:06 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Sarah Harding and Denise Van Outen both in love with unloveable cock(ney) Danny "Shut yer boat you fahhhkin slaaag" Dyer. Is that the concept that's meant to be funny?

I caught the trailer when one of my esteemed fellow forumites posted it on Facebook. I genuinely thought it was an elaborate spoof. That this garbage has actually been made boggles my mind.

I do know what you mean about wishing to see panned films purely to find out what the fuss is about, but I would rather pay to be punched in the face for two hours than contribute to a Danny Dyer 'comedy'. I suspect it would be less painful to endure.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6
RE: Run For Your Wife - 27/2/2013 9:43:12 AM   
ladybooger

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ah, but the doctor goes on to say that these days no movie ever really fails thanks to the advent of dvd, television etc. so it will no doubt recoup any losses on that market. he also goes on to say that just by having a cinematic release boosts dvd rentability so they might very well have put it in theatres for this very reason.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 7
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 12:45:31 PM   
Discodez

Although I'm no fan of Dyer, he has turned up in some decent and underrated films in my opinion. However, this just looks like a piece of turd and whoever thought that updating run for your wife (based on a genre of theatre that deservedly died over 30 years ago) was a good idea needs a fucking hearty slap.

On the subject of negative reviews creating an unexpected buzz, the King, Queen and Jack of these types of film has to be "Showgirls" which is just such an awful film, but somehow manages to be both hilariously funny and hugely entertaining.

Also Escape to Victory gets roundly panned by crtitics, but I love it and everyone I've ever watched it with thinks it's great.

As a final mention, I watched "Nativity" over Christmas and thought that too was nowhere near as awful as most reviews I'd read (watching it with some kids who thought it was hysterical probably helped my enjoyment of it) which I think did quite well at the box office despite (those aforementioned) mostly awful reviews.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 27/2/2013 12:47:33 PM >

(in reply to ladybooger)
Post #: 8
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 1:48:10 PM   
jackcarter

Run for your Wife is probably better than Argo though

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 9
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 3:37:54 PM   
UTB

If I'm being honest I'd much rather see Run For Your Wife than Lés MIserables

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 10
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 4:11:02 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

On the subject of negative reviews creating an unexpected buzz, the King, Queen and Jack of these types of film has to be "Showgirls" which is just such an awful film, but somehow manages to be both hilariously funny and hugely entertaining.

I went to see Showgirls with my then girlfriend (now wife) and 3 friends - (we were trying to see Se7en but it was sold out)
It was her idea, and obviously, cough, cough, us 3 lads decided it was a good idea.
It was all going swimmingly until the woman on stage who is asked to say MGM backwards also happened to be a dancer in a strip join in Mexico me and my mate had both had a hand-shandy off the summer before. We lept out of our seats, shouting "that's the bird that wanked me off....." forgetting that my missus was sat between us.
She has since forgiven me.
Anyway, it's a great film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez
Also Escape to Victory gets roundly panned by crtitics, but I love it and everyone I've ever watched it with thinks it's great.

I can safely say this is one of my favourite films, purely for having so many huge footie starts in it at the time.
And Pele's acting is on a par with Stallone's

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 11
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 4:28:17 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
It was all going swimmingly until the woman on stage who is asked to say MGM backwards also happened to be a dancer in a strip join in Mexico me and my mate had both had a hand-shandy off the summer before. We lept out of our seats, shouting "that's the bird that wanked me off....."

I hope she washed her hand(s) between "shandies".

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 12
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 4:42:38 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

It was all going swimmingly until the woman on stage who is asked to say MGM backwards also happened to be a dancer in a strip join in Mexico me and my mate had both had a hand-shandy off the summer before. We lept out of our seats, shouting "that's the bird that wanked me off....."

I hope she washed her hand(s) between "shandies".

Maybe they were done simultaneously?

That's certainly a unique 'claim to fame', jonson. Is this where your username stems (ahem) from?

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 13
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 4:45:55 PM   
Discodez

quote:

... happened to be a dancer in a strip join in Mexico me and my mate had both had a hand-shandy off the summer before. We lept out of our seats, shouting "that's the bird that wanked me off....." forgetting that my missus was sat between us.
She has since forgiven me.

That's hilarious! talk about six degrees! I bet Kevin Bacon couldn't top that one for connections to Verhoven and Esterhuas!!

quote:

And Pele's acting is on a par with Stallone's

He acts Stallone off the screen

"Hatch Hatch - we can win zis game" gotta love Escape to Victory. In fact I wouldn't trust a man who doesn't love it

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 4:56:21 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

that should be the title for a new thread 'Id much rather see Run for Your Wife than.....'

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 27/2/2013 11:06:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Run for your Wife is probably better than Argo though

Shut up.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 16
RE: Run For Your Wife - 28/2/2013 1:01:20 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ah, but the doctor goes on to say that these days no movie ever really fails thanks to the advent of dvd, television etc. so it will no doubt recoup any losses on that market. he also goes on to say that just by having a cinematic release boosts dvd rentability so they might very well have put it in theatres for this very reason.

Time will tell on that one, not convinced it will, but we will see.

(in reply to ladybooger)
Post #: 17
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 28/2/2013 1:02:39 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Theres the door pal>

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 18
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 28/2/2013 8:07:01 AM   
UTB

No worries I'll use the window

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 19
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 28/2/2013 10:19:26 AM   
Hood_Man

I'll watch Les Mis for you

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 20
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 3/3/2013 3:18:08 PM   
will1000

I watched one of those Mega Shark vs Awesome Octopus type films that seem to litter Kim Newman's Dungeon on a semi-regular basis just so I could witness how bad it was...it was atrocious.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 21
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 8/3/2013 3:52:22 PM   
akivo

I checked out Nic Cage's Wicker Man remake after hearing all the negative reviews and seeing the "comedy" trailer on Youtube. I wasn't disappointed, it's an awful film if you're approaching it as a remake to a classic but as a comedy it works very well as entertainment.

Hard to see who the remake is intended for though, or indeed what it's supposed to be.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 22
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 8/3/2013 6:44:40 PM   
Professor Dent

I rented No Sex Please We're British - that's the one with Alfie Bass isn't it - sort of sub Carry On Camping. Only on lovefilm, wouldn't pay to see it.

But it's a thin line - truly depressing, esp if watching on your own. I think the real sexy stuff got edited out, I don't know. Not sure which is worse, the failed eroticism, or failed comedy.

(in reply to akivo)
Post #: 23
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 8/3/2013 6:59:30 PM   
Shifty Bench

No Sex Please, We're British stars Ronnie Corbett and is a farce, not a sex comedy. There isn't really any eroticism in it, it's rated PG. Maybe you are thinking of something else?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Professor Dent)
Post #: 24
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 9/3/2013 9:26:14 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: akivo

I checked out Nic Cage's Wicker Man remake after hearing all the negative reviews and seeing the "comedy" trailer on Youtube. I wasn't disappointed, it's an awful film if you're approaching it as a remake to a classic but as a comedy it works very well as entertainment.

Hard to see who the remake is intended for though, or indeed what it's supposed to be.

I want to check out that film as well because it looks hilarious for all the wrong reasons.At least it doesnt look boring!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to akivo)
Post #: 25
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 9/3/2013 10:26:28 PM   
Hood_Man

I feel I should leap to booger's defence and admit that I love Highlander 2.

...I feel I'm now totally alone because I love Highlander 2

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 26
RE: Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative ... - 10/3/2013 4:25:36 AM   
Mister Coe

I have a wierd relationship with Highlander 2. On one hand, it is often awful... but on the other hand, it is a sequel to a movie that I loved when I was a teenager but I have come to realise, after watching it as a grown-up, isn't nearly as good as I remember it...

If memory serves, I seem to remember that the makers of H2 ran out of money about 3/4 of the way through, which is why some of it looks epic and some of it looks like an episode of Doctor Who circa 1980. I like the explanation of how The Immortals came to be (far better than Connery just saying 'why are there stars in the sky?') but there wasn't the budget to back it up.

H2 could have been a very worthy sequel, IMO, whereas the first one just looks worse with each passing year...

Say what now?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Wanting to watch terrible movies based on negative criticism. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI