Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 8:29:07 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear
Oh, and I believed in Santa Claus until about 12.

Me too! But he's Father Christmas to me .

I also believed that cars were evil for a time...

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 61
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 9:21:21 AM   
Sleepy

I believed that you were legally obliged to get married once you reached a certain age - I had visions of me screaming as I was dragged down the aisle towards an icky girl.

Needless to say, I've grown up and no longer think of girls as icky, though the aisle thing still sends shivers down my back...

When it comes to the evil intentions of man, I'm always optimistic.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 62
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 1:06:01 PM   
TobiasFunke

Old film footage led me to believe that everybody used to walk really quickly!  I also believed, thanks to the idle threats of my parents, that if I misbehaved then 'the man' would come and take me away!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Sleepy)
Post #: 63
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 1:13:26 PM   
steffols

I used to believe that when you scratched yourself and started to bleed, if you licked the blood and swallowed it, it would go back to the same place it came from. 

Now I realise all my friends and I were just drinking blood

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 64
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 3:22:59 PM   
daddy or chips

I sincerely believed at one point (when I was very young I might add) that when I grew up I would have to go to Egypt and work as a slave constructing pyramids  you have no idea how daft that sounds now.    

"I figured one day I'd just wake up and and find out what the hell yesterday was all about. I'm not too keen on thinkin' about tomorrow. And today's slipping by."

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 65
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 3:46:40 PM   
CURIOUS_GEORGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: svgbdgr

When I was ickle I used to think the indicator arrows on a car dashboard were telling the driver which way to go. I always wondered how the car knew where we were going!

Me to! I always thought that!

One of my friends used to think that if you covered your eyes, then you were invisible...
I always used to find him whilst playing hide and seek standing in a bush with his hands over his eyes, bless him.

www.georgehorne.co.uk

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 66
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 3:55:25 PM   
ladykiller

ok how about this one, when I was a kid I thought a man would sit and press a button to make sure everyone got electricity, I thought when the lights flickered that was when the next guy came on shift.

I think this was because my Dad would say when the lights flickered 'they are changing over'

'When two hunters go after the same prey, they usually end up shooting each other in the back. And we don't want to shoot each other in the back. '

"Being born with a pair of beady eyes was the best thing that ever happened to me."

(in reply to CURIOUS_GEORGE)
Post #: 67
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 3:58:32 PM   
daddy or chips

Another one I've just remembered...the old "if you eat a jellybaby you'll get pregnant" rumour. I was even more aghast when I learnt the truth of how babies are really made

"I figured one day I'd just wake up and and find out what the hell yesterday was all about. I'm not too keen on thinkin' about tomorrow. And today's slipping by."

(in reply to ladykiller)
Post #: 68
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 7:55:07 PM   
Chrisdee

Okay...I don't know if I posted in this thread yet.

1. Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny (freaky bunny), Elves
2. I wasn't going to die
3. Braces were cool
4. Russia was going to nuke us
5. Madonna was cool
6. Guys prefer Blondes
7. That Ronald Reagan was Rad
8. that Richie Valins (?sp) played in the original Dirty Dancing and Patrick Sway...whatever did the remake...don't ask me where the original film was (got that info from a pal that was a Richie/D.D. fan)
9. Diet Pepsi didn't contain caffine
10. Utah was only populated by Mormons
11. Everyone had toliets
12. That everything was fate
13. That there were 'signs everywhere'
14. That I would grow up to be beautiful
15. That I was very smart
16. That I would be married by 24
17. That if you played the Bloody Mary Game that she'd show up
18. That a friend of mine was taken by Bloody Mary
19. That I would be rich
20. That I was cool if I wore sun glasses and snapped my gum

Enjoy this moment

(in reply to daddy or chips)
Post #: 69
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 8:11:37 PM   
clarabell

I used to believe that the trains that went over the Forth Bridge (in Scotland) went over the humps like a rollercoaster!!!!  This was something that the rest of my family thought was hilarious so never told me otherwise until i discovered it for myself!

also the classic that if I swallowed an apple pip an apple tree would grow in my stomach

< Message edited by clarabell -- 27/3/2006 8:12:19 PM >

When I die, bury me up-side down, so the world can kiss my ass

Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!

(in reply to Chrisdee)
Post #: 70
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 8:50:21 PM   
Shawlord

My Nan used to knit a lot, and whenever she would say "oh no, I've dropped a stitch" I would proceed to look for it on the floor.  It actually just refers to missing a stitch on the needle or something.  If you don't do knitting you will have no idea what I am talking about.

I also believed that cats eyes on the motorway were actually cats eyes.  What worries me most is that I never questioned this!

The World is a fine place, and worth fighting for... I agree with the second part.

100 Golden Oldies Recommended by you!

(in reply to clarabell)
Post #: 71
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 10:29:39 PM   
Chrisdee

21. That I was special
22. That I could turn into She-ra
23. that eating your veggies made you REALLY STRONG--stronger than adults...like Popeye. I really thought spinach made you VERY strong
24. That Mc.D's had delicious food
25. that angels lived in the clouds
26. that the manikin (?sp) at Disneyland's Mark Twains' ride was really murdered and his body was left on the island and I couldn't understand why no one went to help him...or left him there dead.

Enjoy this moment

(in reply to Shawlord)
Post #: 72
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 10:58:49 PM   
Shawlord

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chrisdee

22. That I could turn into She-ra

There were times when I firmly believed I was She-ra, but without the big bouffant hair do.  Me and my mate used to tie some rope to the bannisters and would swing across the floor pretending that the carpet between the front door and the kitchen was a crocodile pit. 

I've said too much haven't I?

Oh I also believed that eating bread crusts would make my hair curly.

The World is a fine place, and worth fighting for... I agree with the second part.

100 Golden Oldies Recommended by you!

(in reply to Chrisdee)
Post #: 73
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 11:40:11 PM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chrisdee

Okay...I don't know if I posted in this thread yet.

4. Russia was going to nuke us

Oh I thought this too!  There was the ominous... Cold War.  The Russians were plotting every second to come get us.  Remember the film Red Dawn?  That freaked me out!  I thought that at any time the parachutes would be coming down and that would be it!

I remember in grade school they had us get permission from our parents to watch a film (The Day After with Jason Robards starrring) about a nuclear attack and how it would be.  When the nuke went off as he was driving to work... wowsa.  Talk about mind warp for a kid!  I thought between tornadoes taking us to a land of techicolor little people and the nuclear war bringing parachutes that we were pretty well screwed.

Now that I'm an adult and all those notions are out of my head and I can think for myself, it's really Canada we should be looking out for. 

< Message edited by lulu karma -- 27/3/2006 11:41:09 PM >

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Chrisdee)
Post #: 74
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/3/2006 11:43:59 PM   
wannabe

i always thought that the vertically challenged were all santa's elves

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 75
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 28/3/2006 7:42:44 AM   
Chrisdee

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

The Day After & Red Dawn

I saw that as a kid...scared me to death...especially any time the car's battery died...I'd look around to make sure all the other cars were running. I saw another film about a nuclear attack...but that one the main characters ended up in the tar pits...I don't recall the film's name.

RAD, Shawlord

26. I thought all old men were nice
27. Mickey Mouse and Disney characters were real
28. That brussel sprouts were baby cabbage patch kids...they just hadn't developed yet
29. That all mushrooms were poisonous (?sp)
30. That I could get the plague
31. That I could ride a goat like a horse--tried that one...didn't work
32. That Lucile (?sp) Ball posed naked (my uncles had a pic of her )
33. That I would drown if I went swimming on Sunday
34. That roses really could turn into Rose Petal if I cried on them
35. that salt water from the ocean could help my pink eye
36. That a shark could get me in the shower
37. that a shark could get me in Arizona....because I was sleeping on a rubber bed thingy like in the movie
36. that I could run super fast
37. That the Persian Gulf War was called a war...but really wasn't a war (don't ask me the logic in that one)
38. That JFK was a stupid president--he wasn't really that dumb
39. That Jefferson never had an affair with his slave
40. That Nixon was awful--he wasn't...he just got caught--lol
41. that Nixon was the only president impeached...he wasn't, he resigned before they could start impeachment
42. That Oliver North was a horrible man--he kinda was, he interrupted my cartoons
43. that my uncles always told the truth--yeah, didn't learn that one for a long time
44. Believed that the actress in Shirley Temple's A Little Princess was the actual Queen Victoria
45. that I could fly with my umbrella like Mary Poppins--tried that one too

Enjoy this moment

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 76
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 28/3/2006 4:56:38 PM   
pumpkintoes

When I was a kid I asked my dad 'who invented colour?' I thought that the world had once looked like the black and white movies of old!!!!! I thought that the 'black and white days' ended when someone invented colour. How stoopid was I?

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 77
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 28/3/2006 9:06:35 PM   
Chrisdee

I had a good one too

46. I thought the marshmellow man on Ghost Busters was good
47. I thought One-Eyed Willy was real
48. I thought Leprachauns (sp?) existed
49. We had this opera tape that we would listen to often and I thought the voices were my relatives
50. I thought all singers on the radio were African American except Madonna

Enjoy this moment

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 78
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 28/3/2006 9:12:22 PM   
wdruck

I used to believe monsters lived in our guest bedroom which was right next to the bathroom. After going on the toilet I'd quickly run down stairs so they couldn't catch me.

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 79
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 28/3/2006 10:03:30 PM   
Zaphod121

santa springs to mind

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 80
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 29/3/2006 3:12:11 AM   
frankj

As a kid, I believed that if I went to the toilet during the night and didn't get back into bed before the flush finished, a man-shaped cat dressed as Robin Hood would reach out from under the bed and grab my ankle. God alone knows what that says about me.

As an early teen I believed that if I masturbated when one of my fingers had a cut on it, I'd get AIDS.

And, courtesy of My Fadder - when you hear the ice-cream van play music, it means he's run out of everything. Also, when an aeroplane's lights flash overhead, it's taking a picture of whatever you're doing wrong.

Happy days.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 81
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 29/3/2006 10:34:10 PM   
sheepyhumpy

Santa, obviously, and the tooth fairy and the like until the age of about 8 I guess

My little brother was hugely gullible as a child. A couple of classics we told him...

That our next door neighbour was Timmy Mallett, and that we never saw him because he was too busy working

That the lights at a zebra crossing flash because some poor bugger is sitting in an office pressing the light switch on and off. He believed that until he went on a class trip to the local public services deparment and they told him otherwise

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 82
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 31/3/2006 2:24:37 AM   
frankj

Brilliant!

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to sheepyhumpy)
Post #: 83
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 31/3/2006 2:43:55 AM   
svgbdgr

I had some slightly bizarre and some would say blasphemous ideas on religion as a kid. I remember for some reason I thought Jesus was killed by a bloke called Christ.

< Message edited by svgbdgr -- 31/3/2006 2:44:31 AM >

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 84
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/4/2012 10:41:41 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarabell

I used to believe that the trains that went over the Forth Bridge (in Scotland) went over the humps like a rollercoaster!!!!  This was something that the rest of my family thought was hilarious so never told me otherwise until i discovered it for myself!

I used to believe things like this

I also used to believe that Olympic swimmers were really really tall because they spent so much time in the water, which meantthey weren't affected by gravity as much as the rest of us, and therefore they could grow taller

Oh yeah, bump!

(in reply to clarabell)
Post #: 85
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/4/2012 10:45:54 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

I also used to believe that Olympic swimmers were really really tall because they spent so much time in the water, which meantthey weren't affected by gravity as much as the rest of us, and therefore they could grow taller

Oh yeah, bump!

I believed exactly this also about the bridge. My family also thought it was hilarious. To this day I am a little disappointed the train doesn't go over the bumps. I mean, if it doesn't go over the bumps then what the fuck are the bumps for?

< Message edited by Lucky Day -- 27/4/2012 11:01:56 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 86
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/4/2012 11:00:25 PM   
horribleives

I used to think when a referee checked a footballer's studs before he came on as a sub he was looking to see if he'd stood in dog-shit.
I also thought the bit where Luke fights Darth Vader at the end of The Empire Strikes Back was filmed in Eldon Square*

* A shopping mall in Newcastle that, back in the early '80s, was quite dark and cavernous with orange lights on the floor. Easy mistake to make.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 27/4/2012 11:02:23 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 87
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 27/4/2012 11:31:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

To riff on this topic, when my son was 4 he pointed to a large chimney belching out big puffs of white smoke and asked what it was. I told him it was where clouds were made.

He's 9 now. I keep waiting for the call from his geography teacher.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 88
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 28/4/2012 12:23:23 AM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

Oh yeah, bump!

I believed exactly this also about the bridge. My family also thought it was hilarious. To this day I am a little disappointed the train doesn't go over the bumps. I mean, if it doesn't go over the bumps then what the fuck are the bumps for?

What the phuck are the bumps for? To hold the bloody thing up.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 89
RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid - 28/4/2012 12:35:08 AM   
boaby

I used to believe that not only did Santa bring presents but that he would take them away if you were bad.

One Xmas day a four year old boaby was a very bad boy. On boxing day my new toy farmyard and tractors were no longer in the living room. A note from "Santa" explained that as I was bad he had taken them back. Being four, boaby couldn't read "taken" so his mummy (aka badass Santa) helped him out.

Boaby was very good for a week. Santa came back on Hogmanay and returned the farm set.

Boaby was never a bad boy again.

The ten year old boaby for some reason believed that the dead rose at Culloden every year. When the ten year old boaby was taken by badass Santa on a trip to Culloden and saw a re-enactment without anyone telling him wtf was going on, well, boaby was absolutely petrified. Frozen stiff, shaking, silent tears. He has never been as scared since. Smoke from muskets, drizzle in the air, battlecries, earth-shuddering charges. Boaby has never been back since.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Stupid things you believed as a kid Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI