Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Options for the next gen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Options for the next gen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 2:13:22 PM   
borstal

So Sony have started the next gen ball rolling with Microsofts coming soon (can you count Wii-U?). More than ever Im interested to see who will be possibly getting Borstals pennies. I was Nintendo for such a long time until I went Xbox then 360 but for me brand loyalty isnt really there this time.

I think SHP mentioned rumours of Steam offering something this time or was it Apple (both?). Im open to see whats on offer and what they offer. Any posters got an idea of whats being announced or due for release?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 1
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 4:31:24 PM   
Chief

It would take something pretty amazing for me to get a PS4, or a monumental fuck up from MS to prevent me getting the Nextbox.

There's no way I'll be getting both this time round and I'm going to try and hold off getting one at launch just in case there's anything like the RROD nonsense (surprising how they recovered from that actually).

That said, if I see some shiny images and it's released near payday I'll be one of the first in the queue for a fisting from Bill Gates.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 2
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 4:53:09 PM   
directorscut

Get a PC.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 3
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 5:00:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Get a PC.

Sitting in an armchair with a joypad playing on a big ass TV >>>>>>> sitting in front of a computer desk.

And I say that as someone that plays a lot of games on the PC.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 4
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 5:04:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Get a PC.

Sitting in an armchair with a joypad playing on a big ass TV >>>>>>> sitting in front of a computer desk.

And I say that as someone that plays a lot of games on the PC.

You do realize you can hook up your computer up to your big ass TV?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 5:31:25 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I do yes but then you need room for your keyboard and mouse where it'll be comfortable to use them for an extended gaming session.

A console is just miles more convenient which is why console games outsell their PC counterparts at a ridiculous ratio.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 6
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 6:08:45 PM   
kata

quote:

I do yes but then you need room for your keyboard and mouse where it'll be comfortable to use them for an extended gaming session.

A console is just miles more convenient which is why console games outsell their PC counterparts at a ridiculous ratio.

Console wise, I liked what I saw this morning about the PS4 so got no qualms in theoretically getting one of those. If the rumours of always on anti used/rented games in the new Xbox turn out to be true then I wont be bothering with that.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 7
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 6:13:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

You do realize you can use a joypad with the PC, such as the XBOX controller?

quote:

That's not true. More of that "PC gaming is dying" myth bollox pervaded by the fact only physical PC sales make the charts. The majority of PC game sales are digital now and are quite healthy.

I don't find consoles more convenient (certainly not when another person wants the living room). Considering how long the XBOX takes to boot up I suspect turning on my laptop and booting up a game wouldn't take that much longer.

I can also play pretty much any PC game from the last 30 years + that I want on my PC, while my XBOX 360 won't even play all my original XBOX games. Now that's convenience.

Post #: 8
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 6:37:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

You do realize you can use a joypad with the PC, such as the XBOX controller?

Again, yes I do but any person caught playing a first person shooter on a PC with an Xbox pad should have his gaming rights revoked. For life. And then punched in the face.

I have a desktop PC anyway, to be able to use it on the main, big TV I'd have to lug it from room to room. As it is I use my PC for select FPS's, all RTS games including stuff like Civilization and Football Manager. These are games that I can play for hours on end but there's no comparison when it comes to comfort factor.

quote:

quote:

That's not true. More of that "PC gaming is dying" myth bollox pervaded by the fact only physical PC sales make the charts. The majority of PC game sales are digital now and are quite healthy.

I don't buy into the PC gaming is dying myth either but cross platform titles sell far more on consoles than they do on the PC. I remember when Modern Warfare 2 came out there was a big hoohah about the fact they'd dropped dedicated servers for it but the fact is the previous game only sold about 200,000 copies on the PC which is why it wasn't viable to have anything but peer to peer multiplayer. How many copies did the first Modern Warfare sell on the 360 alone, let alone across both platforms? I can't be bothered to look it up but I'm fairly confident this is true for the majority of cross platform titles.

quote:

I don't find consoles more convenient (certainly not when another person wants the living room). Considering how long the XBOX takes to boot up I suspect turning on my laptop and booting up a game wouldn't take that much longer.

I can also play pretty much any PC game from the last 30 years + that I want on my PC, while my XBOX 360 won't even play all my original XBOX games. Now that's convenience.

To be able to play KOTOR on the PC I had to buy it again through Steam. The original copy wouldn't work on Windows 7 even if I set up a virtual machine with Windows 98 or XP running on it. There are many other titles where this is the case, I was lucky that the virtual machine workaround worked for Grim Fandango but it's a rare occurence. Consoles have one operating system for their whole lifespan and all games will run the same on all the consoles (bullshit like Kinect notwithstanding). Every PS3/360 owner will have the same experience when playing the same game without having to worry about getting a new graphics card or upgrading their RAM/processor/motherboard. Now that's what I call convenient.

And I haven't even touched on the pricing difference yet.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 21/2/2013 6:55:50 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 9
RE: Options for the next gen - 21/2/2013 7:25:29 PM   
borstal

Can PCs be classed as generational? With new components constantly being released month by month then no they aren't.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

Post #: 10
RE: Options for the next gen - 22/2/2013 12:17:12 AM   
rich

Yes they're just constantly being improved so it doesn't count. The whole "gen" thing is just a term for the average 5 years it takes for a console to runs its lifespan.

As for PS4... this is what I got from the conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0rJDn0jRnUQ

Meanwhile...

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 11
RE: Options for the next gen - 22/2/2013 1:41:13 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

So Sony have started the next gen ball rolling with Microsofts coming soon (can you count Wii-U?). More than ever Im interested to see who will be possibly getting Borstals pennies. I was Nintendo for such a long time until I went Xbox then 360 but for me brand loyalty isnt really there this time.

I think SHP mentioned rumours of Steam offering something this time or was it Apple (both?). Im open to see whats on offer and what they offer. Any posters got an idea of whats being announced or due for release?

Was it just me who read that wrong?

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 12
RE: Options for the next gen - 22/2/2013 7:31:06 PM   
borstal

Just you you filthy little skank.

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 13
RE: Options for the next gen - 23/2/2013 5:17:40 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Was it just me who read that wrong?

I may have been speed reading past it and had to double check it too.....

I'm sure if they offered Dead Space 4 exclusive to PS4 they might get more than his pennies....

< Message edited by JAYDAK1SS -- 23/2/2013 5:19:20 PM >

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 14
RE: Options for the next gen - 23/2/2013 5:53:36 PM   
paulyboy

I'm just playing it by ear at the moment, but I dare say'll I'll end up with both a new Playstation and Xbox at some point, eventually selling the one I get on with least.

Valve's steam box could offer a conveniant alternative to the PC that I'd definitely be interested in, but I strongly suspect it's going to cost a small fortune, we'll see.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 15
RE: Options for the next gen - 23/2/2013 6:54:34 PM   
rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1jeM0ENR6rI

Meanwhile...

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Options for the next gen - 23/2/2013 11:59:48 PM   
James2183

What's tying to me to Microsoft at the minute (and I know it sounds stupid) but I don't want to lose my Achievement points

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 17
RE: Options for the next gen - 24/2/2013 12:40:52 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I am seriously tempted by the PS4 as I worry the Xbox is going to be only a partial upgrade spec wise and MS seem intent on moving away from the core market.

That said I'f be disappointed to miss out on the Forza franchise, group chat, and the Xbox controller. Microsoft have a lot of impressing to do come April.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Options for the next gen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI