Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Utterly awful.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Utterly awful. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Utterly awful. - 12/3/2013 1:46:43 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think there's a difference between opinion and quality. There do exist gold standards, however general, however basic. Mozart wrote music of higher quality than my 10 year old nephew does. That's not to say I value my 10 year old nephew's music any less. But his music is not as good as Mozart's. Fact.

That's a fairly weak and simplistic analogy that doesn't really apply here.

Accepted. But my point is that there ARE gold standards, no matter how simplistic the examples. So when people say there's no such thing as a 'bad film' or a 'good film', I'd say they were wrong.

But I don't think anyone here is saying that. We're talking about opinions. You admit that opinions vary (as Dalton once said) yet you seem to be claiming that if the film in question is perceived as either excellent or execrable then an opposing viewpoint is factually "wrong" because it doesn't adhere to a pre-conceived notion of quality. To paraphrase that's like saying "all men are created equal, yet some are more equal than others" but substituting the word men with opinions.

Sometimes I shake my head in bafflement if someone fails to see why I love a film (happens here all the time). But if I really dislike a film that has been lauded by others I just feel a bit disappointed and then move on. I don't end up questioning anyone's integrity, even if they are a professional film reviewer.

Dalton? From Roadhouse?

I like your last sentence. Gives me hope! Yes I suppose I have questioned someone's integrity as a film reviewer, as I would if a professional music critic rejected Abbey Road as meaningless, unaffecting crap. But the choice is still mine - I either listen to them or I don't. But what also bothers me, is that other people will listen to such opinions and hold them as important. It's happening with X-Factor, people's standards of what makes a good singer are being lowered every year, because of what the 'judges' say. Does that make sense?

Well, first of all plenty of people don't like the Beatles so that opinion, while uncommon or even controversial, is still perfectly valid.
Secondly, a five star review of Stoker is hardly comparable (in terms of being as unpopular a view as saying Abbey Road is rubbish) - it's been receiving strong reviews everywhere. Those writers raving about it are no more right or wrong than you are but it's rather arrogant to suggest they lack integrity just because they - and many others - like a film you happen to think is crap.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 12/3/2013 1:47:52 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 91
RE: Utterly awful. - 12/3/2013 8:54:50 PM   
jrewing1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think there's a difference between opinion and quality. There do exist gold standards, however general, however basic. Mozart wrote music of higher quality than my 10 year old nephew does. That's not to say I value my 10 year old nephew's music any less. But his music is not as good as Mozart's. Fact.

That's a fairly weak and simplistic analogy that doesn't really apply here.

Accepted. But my point is that there ARE gold standards, no matter how simplistic the examples. So when people say there's no such thing as a 'bad film' or a 'good film', I'd say they were wrong.

But I don't think anyone here is saying that. We're talking about opinions. You admit that opinions vary (as Dalton once said) yet you seem to be claiming that if the film in question is perceived as either excellent or execrable then an opposing viewpoint is factually "wrong" because it doesn't adhere to a pre-conceived notion of quality. To paraphrase that's like saying "all men are created equal, yet some are more equal than others" but substituting the word men with opinions.

Sometimes I shake my head in bafflement if someone fails to see why I love a film (happens here all the time). But if I really dislike a film that has been lauded by others I just feel a bit disappointed and then move on. I don't end up questioning anyone's integrity, even if they are a professional film reviewer.

Dalton? From Roadhouse?

I like your last sentence. Gives me hope! Yes I suppose I have questioned someone's integrity as a film reviewer, as I would if a professional music critic rejected Abbey Road as meaningless, unaffecting crap. But the choice is still mine - I either listen to them or I don't. But what also bothers me, is that other people will listen to such opinions and hold them as important. It's happening with X-Factor, people's standards of what makes a good singer are being lowered every year, because of what the 'judges' say. Does that make sense?

Well, first of all plenty of people don't like the Beatles so that opinion, while uncommon or even controversial, is still perfectly valid.
Secondly, a five star review of Stoker is hardly comparable (in terms of being as unpopular a view as saying Abbey Road is rubbish) - it's been receiving strong reviews everywhere. Those writers raving about it are no more right or wrong than you are but it's rather arrogant to suggest they lack integrity just because they - and many others - like a film you happen to think is crap.

Of course I'm using Abbey Road as a simplistic example to back up my point that there is such a thing as good and bad when it comes to art. How we come to define good and bad is another matter entirely, and the subject of debates throughout the ages.

Yes I agree that in the case of Stoker, it's not so simple. But the discussion here moved from specifics about Stoker, to the idea of good/bad art.

Roadhouse on the other hand, IS the greatest film ever made, at least the greatest film ever made about bouncers who can rip out someone's throat with their bare hands.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 92
RE: Utterly awful. - 12/3/2013 9:21:08 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I haven't seen Stoker yet but I refuse to believe it's comparable to The Room.

Park Chan Wook's story-telling style might irk some, and that's understandable, but he's technically accomplished. Tommy Wiseau is a talentless chancer who made a really bad and boring film.

Whats the Room?

Don't go there.

Damn it I so want to now

You're tearing me apart ElephantBoy!

Type in 'the room tommy wiseau' on youtube, or obtain a copy of the film illegally.

Beware though, once you enter - there's no going back.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 93
Utterly awesome. - 20/3/2013 1:12:25 PM   
ahaig

Not my favourite Park Chan-wook film but Stoker does measure up to his other work and that is impressive. Not sure why it was an 18 as it's not very graphic but I suppose the feeling of unease must have affected the bbfc chaps or something. Also - well reviewed :)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 94
RE: Stoker - 16/4/2013 3:45:25 PM   
Axel Foley

Stoker delivers thrills, chills and shocks in an inventive and stylish spin on coming of age dramas. Park Chan-Wookís English language debut tells the story of India Stoker who has recently lost her father and in coming to terms with it displays a side to her character that is glimpsed early on but rages forth later, as she becomes ever more intimate with her eccentric and Uncle Charlie. Mia Wasikowska is great as India, sweetly innocent, but with a look that could kill. It is Parkís direction that is star though: sequences have a dream like (or is it nightmarish quality), accentuated by pans and edits. He gives shoes, spiders or playing the piano an unsettling sense, but my favourite shot is of India flexing her arms and legs on her bed to the beat of a counter, looking not unlike a giant insect. A later scene gives it an even more sinister association and demonstrates the power of the storytelling: not a shot is wasted and seemingly small things can become ever more haunting.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

Post #: 95
RE: Stoker - 10/6/2013 6:28:34 PM   
bydabeachman

In my opinion this film was truly an art piece. The story was well revolved and dangerously chilling. It leaves you curious with the destination the characters will go with what they now have gone through. I though Mia did an incredibly beautiful job as a youthful, deviously sexy girl whom at times you feel guilty for looking at her. You know from the get go there is an uneasy feeling given and the atmosphere keeps you guessing and thinking something will pop out at you. Nicole Kidman was her same self, nothing too different about that, not saying she is bad, she is amazing, she just has been typecast as playing herself it seems like. Dermot's cameo was incredible, wish we has more of him. Overall it was a great film, the intro was my favorite part, so cinematically beautiful. Excited to check out his other films.

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

Post #: 96
A lovely gloomy helter-skelter... - 11/7/2013 11:26:58 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Stoker hovers between arthouse and flat-out melancholia, and while it's not always an easy watch, it's consistently engaging. A bit like a serial killer's whimsical daydream. In a good way.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 97
Spot on - 2/10/2013 1:30:14 PM   
Enzino

Love the bit about Matthew Goode who "glowers handsomely as if he is simultaneously plotting abominable acts and taking part in history’s most sinister fashion shoot"!

Post #: 98
RE: Spot on - 21/10/2013 1:11:47 PM   
Vitamin F

A review I read about this stated it's "...one of the most beautifully directed bad movies I've seen..." and this is definitely my review in a soundbite. Too little story for this amount of directorial effort.

While the journey is beautiful to look at, come the end credits there's a really underwhelming feeling of "is that it?" I was waiting for some additional depth, something that I wasn't aware of, but it never came. Try guessing where the story is going as you watch it and you'll probably be right, more or less. All the style was for nothing at the end of the day. Not something I'd rush to watch again.

(in reply to Enzino)
Post #: 99
RE: Stoker - 30/10/2013 11:40:22 AM   
CheshireMoon

I thought this film was outstanding! I completely underestimated it and to be honest I am not a fan of Kidman but I loved it! It took me a while afterwards to realize how amazing it was

Post #: 100
RE: A lovely gloomy helter-skelter... - 30/10/2013 4:27:28 PM   
magnila_fan

I donít know why people rave about this film. I mean itís not bad but apart from good style itís boring and predictable.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 101
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Utterly awful. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI