Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Destiny

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Destiny Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Destiny - 11/9/2014 8:01:48 PM   
Ghidorah

I'm nearing level thirteen and I have mix feelings over this. I think I'm at fault because I wanted an update to the Halo franchies on the PS4, but instead this feel like a new type of game but using the Halo mechanics. It's a shame because everything is good but it not Bungie's Halo and the multiplayer deathmatch appears to be a let down. I only played one death match but it doesn't bring me back to the good old Halo days.

BTW this maybe a spoiler but has anyone played the these levels were you are forced to join two other human players and take down bosses? I done two already and the second one is tougher than the first. I think it took us thirty minutes to take down the boss. One of us stay behind in a semi secure location to keep the respawns in constant supply while the other two go out in the field to take down a 30 meter tall monster and it horde of bodyguards.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 31
RE: Destiny - 15/9/2014 12:00:38 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

I'm nearing level thirteen and I have mix feelings over this. I think I'm at fault because I wanted an update to the Halo franchies on the PS4, but instead this feel like a new type of game but using the Halo mechanics. It's a shame because everything is good but it not Bungie's Halo and the multiplayer deathmatch appears to be a let down. I only played one death match but it doesn't bring me back to the good old Halo days.

BTW this maybe a spoiler but has anyone played the these levels were you are forced to join two other human players and take down bosses? I done two already and the second one is tougher than the first. I think it took us thirty minutes to take down the boss. One of us stay behind in a semi secure location to keep the respawns in constant supply while the other two go out in the field to take down a 30 meter tall monster and it horde of bodyguards.

I'm currently a level 18 Titan, I have no desire to change subclass or start a new character. The actual gameplay is great and addictive. Story etc it gets slightly better as you move away from the moon (venus etc) but the missions are so identical it is comical. You basically fight your way into an old compound/research lab/temple and protect Ghost while he decodes something/breaks a lock/hacks into security etc etc.

Those matchmaking levels are the Strike Missions. They are great as you actually get to socialize with other players.They are also useful for grinding away and leveling up...

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 32
RE: Destiny - 15/9/2014 2:15:22 PM   
paulyboy

Yeah the lack of variety throughout the story missions, patrols and strikes is disturbing, if you're not protecting Ghost whilst he hacks something then you're probably taking on a bullet sponge boss. Rinse, repeat. Mind you, it's an FPS at the end of the day, you could argue everything boils down to shooting aliens in the face. I do think they could spruce it up though, speeder races, stealth sections, etc, etc.

That said, strangely I'm finding it quite addictive regardless, it's just fun bouncing around with your mates shooting stuff seeing what loot rewards you get and so forth.

It's a bizarre game, it's just not quite there, I'm actually really glad it seems to be selling like hot-cakes, over time with some feedback it could grow into something very special indeed. Currently though, even though I'm thoroughly enjoying it, it's easy to see where improvements can be made, Gamespot's 6/10 review maybe a touch on the harsh side, but it's hard not to agree with all it's points.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 15/9/2014 2:40:51 PM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 33
RE: Destiny - 22/9/2014 1:38:43 PM   
sroey

Finished up the Story missions over the weekend. I'll be honest the last mission is awful. Completely forgot what/why we were there. Played through with my brother and we both had no idea what was going on. It's been said before that the voice over work is sketchy, but it really is. The Speaker is awful and Dinklage is wooden and bored.

Strangely enough, the actual combat is fantastic and very addictive and it's great blasting through the harder strike missions - although the bosses can become a massive grind and take an age to take down. The rewards are random and the loot drops aren't quite there yet (for me anyway - people in my fireteam have picked up legendary items!)

There is so much Bungie can add to improve this game, I've no doubt they will, the review scores are fair so far.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Destiny - 24/9/2014 11:11:43 AM   
sroey

Kotaku review hits the nail on the head for me...

http://kotaku.com/destiny-the-kotaku-review-1637735501

The 'loot cave' really does work!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 35
RE: Destiny - 24/9/2014 12:00:31 PM   
paulyboy

Loot cave hasn't done a great deal for me sadly, I've got a bazillion engrams from it, a fair few blues and even some legendary ones, but not a single one has turned into anything remotely useful, beyond getting my cryptarch rank up that is, even then his rewards/engrams for levelling up have also been shite.

I've got one legendary chest piece that I got as a mission reward, and a legendary gauntlet for a completely different class, but that's it so far after pumping 30+ hours into it. I've decided the only way I'm going to level past 24/25 and get in shape for the Raids and Nightfall strikes is through hard graft with the Strike playlists and The Crucible to get my rep up and actually buy the sodding things. I've amassed a fairly decent Strange Coin collection also, which I'm planning on using this weekend to by an exotic helmet (**snigger!**) from Xur in The Tower.

One decent side effect of the loot cave at least is the odd occasion when the enemy spawns in that entire area going fooking mental for 10 minutes or so, quite fun fighting them off!

Weird game, the narrative is shite, it's genuinely repetitive, the Crucible is often a complete disaster from a matchmaking perspective, the random loot drops are evil (depending on how lucky you are or aren't) and the rep rewards a bit of a joke.

But..... I can't put it down. I'm hopelessly addicted, what is wrong with me?

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 36
RE: Destiny - 24/9/2014 3:05:52 PM   
sroey

Couldn't agree more paulyboy!

I hate on it alot...but still keep playing! I did manage to get to level 24 with 3 legendary weapons from the cave. No armor yet though.

The loot drops from ANY of the strike missions etc are pathetic...

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 37
RE: Destiny - 25/9/2014 8:07:58 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I heard about the loot cave, and got bored within 5-10 minutes of visiting it. It wasn't fun, and if that's what it takes for me to get my light levels up and get my legendary armour then I'd happily stop playing the game.

For me the worst aspect of the game is the crucible, absolutely did not enjoy it, but coming from someone who also hated Halo's competitive multiplayer it probably comes as no surprise.

I'm not sure what to make of the game, if ever discussing it or reviews I tend to be first to agree with the negatives, as far as games go particularly ones of its promise it's a major disappointment. Story is naff, the wealth of missions and things to do is lacking massively, the size of the game is tiny, the repetitive nature of the gameplay is very MMO like despite Bungie screaming that it's not an MMO. For me this has Activision written all over it, reduce the content and maps in the full release and sell later for an extortionate add on price (£30 for two packs? Fuck off).

With all that said and done I'm gripped and do keep playing it, and haven't repeatedly played a game like this in a long while. However, we'll see how long it stays in the disc drive once all the new releases start dropping over the next two months.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 38
RE: Destiny - 25/9/2014 12:44:38 PM   
paulyboy

I should moan more often, had a whole bunch of legendary rewards (helmet, chest plate & ship) doing the Queens Wrath missions after completing her bounties last night, picked up a legendary sniper rifle and an exotic scout rifle from a subsequent cryptarch reward as well.

Jumped 2 levels to 26!

Rep rewards are still shite though, it's such a chore trying to get my Vangaurd rank up!

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 25/9/2014 12:45:46 PM >

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 39
RE: Destiny - 28/9/2014 7:10:04 PM   
sroey

Really close to giving up on this game.

Same old strike missions and awful grinding. Loot drops are pitiful. I've been stuck at level 25 for a week. Picked up 4 legendary engrams, 2 were for a different character class and the rest were decoded to rare items.

I want to punch that goddamn Cryptarch in the face with an engram.

I need a legendary helmet and gauntlets and can't get any!! The chestplate and boots I have can upgrade 3 times to increase the light value but I need ascendance shards - 6 per upgrade so I need 18 per armour set. I have 5...

Pretty much bored to death of the strike missions. I need to get to level 26 to even think about the Vault of Glass raid. The crucible really is awful. Patrolling is crap as public events are non existent and when they do happen - defend the warsat!

Fuck this game! If the loot drops improve I can almost put up with the rest...

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 40
RE: Destiny - 28/9/2014 9:10:29 PM   
UTB

I've been level 20 and a bit for a while and I'm bored too... might put it aside for a while whilst I deal with Alien Isolation.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 41
RE: Destiny - 29/9/2014 10:51:54 AM   
paulyboy

At least with the patch due this week Legendary engrams will dish out at least Legendary items and so forth etc.

I'm very much reaching the end of the road with this for the time being as well, I'm 3 light points away from hitting level 27, beyond that I'm not sure I have the patience to hunt down the Ascendant Shards/Energy required to make it to level 30.

I still haven't attempted The Vault of Glass or a Nightfall Strike, beyond that though I'm seeing little reason to continue with it unless some new content is released. As great as the combat is, there's only so many times you can play the same levels/strikes over and over, even with mates. The Crucible just seems to swing from love to hate for me at the drop of a hat depending on the game, not sure it'll hold my attention much longer, but we'll see.

That said, I've stuck 36 hours into it thus far, which for me is a ludicrous amount, so I don't feel too bad about tiring of it, I've definitely got my £36 worth.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 29/9/2014 10:53:14 AM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 42
RE: Destiny - 29/9/2014 1:40:33 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I think I decided long ago this game was going to joining the master out pile of games to sell/trade relatively soon.

As much as I've enjoyed it, the 6/10 reviews are just. The "end game" is pointless unless you're a proper little MMO nerd and play in large organised clans. To your average person the raid is just inaccessible, 6 person entry point and from most reports you need to be the type of group who know each other's playing styles inside out, opening up fire teams to randomers won't help and reducing the player number requirement will make it impossible.

I'm trying to put off finishing the game to make it last, I've got a handful of unfinished missions on Mars then I'm done, but I reached level 20 a while ago and I see no incentive to try and break into the high 20s as there's no reward for it, and no additional content to unlock beyond the aforementioned inaccessible raid.

I hate the business model behind the game also, they're trying to stop you selling/trading the game and keep you grinding for the slow release of online events such as the raids, by staggering their releases instead of them already being on the disc (let's not pretend they're not already made and waiting). The idea is to keep you playing until the DLC hits and then they'll try to fork more money out of you.

Sorry Bungie, I've enjoyed the game, but Borderlands was better at everything you've attempted and also far more content heavy. Try again with Destiny 2, and give the Activision paid content approach the two fingers and put a full game on a disc not half of it.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 43
RE: Destiny - 29/9/2014 2:38:56 PM   
sroey

So if anyone wants to attempt the Vault of glass at any point. Feel free to chuck me and invite. My Gamertag is Bigsro.

I attempted the Daily heroic mission today in the hope of getting the ascendant shard I needed to upgrade my armor...I completed it and was given a different ascendant material...

This game is dead to me!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 44
RE: Destiny - 30/9/2014 10:34:53 AM   
sroey

Maybe I spoke too soon 

Did one of the queens missions last night and picked up a Legendary helmet. Boosted me to lvl26...

I just need legendary gauntlets now which I can purchase from the dodgy salesman at the weekend (using the strange coins).

They do still need to hurry up and get more content out there as I have 2 lvl 28 nightfall strikes left to tackle and that's it then. Hopefully once the engram/cryptarch issues are sorted it will be slightly easier to move forward!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Destiny Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI