Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 6:08:02 PM   
Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Not sure if you're really in a position to start hurling personal abuse around, are you?

Thanks, but do you have anything to contribute to this topic?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 61
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 6:25:41 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drooch

quote:

Not sure if you're really in a position to start hurling personal abuse around, are you?

I am reading the debate with some interest, but your cheap name-calling is letting you down.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 62
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 6:41:14 PM   
Drooch

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am reading the debate with some interest, but your cheap name-calling is letting you down.

Where have I name-called?

Post #: 63
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 6:44:31 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

So I stand by my "censorship apologist" stance that the UK is the biggest market for Hollywood product outside of North America. Just give me a shout when you want to come down of your high horse and I'll bring a ladder.

It's great that you were able to contribute to this topic and correct my error regarding that link. Which makes it all the more a shame that you chose to be a smug prick with your 'high horse' comment, and then completely undermine your factual correction by making an error of your own. The UK is not 'the biggest market for Hollywood product outside of North America', China and Japan are:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/449107/20130322/china-hollywood-box-office-sales-mpaa.htm

The point still stands that the reason the UK suffers more cut films than similar sized markets is because we have a classification body that offers a unique 'cuts advice service' for a fee. This cuts-for-cash system leaves the UK cinemagoer with neutered cinema films, whereas countries whose classification bodies do not offer this service do not suffer the same abundance of censored material. The fact that the BBFC are supposed to serve the British public, but instead are taking money for their involvement in bowdlerising our films, is a problem for British cinephiles.

In bold is where you name-called. Short memory?

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 64
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 6:45:43 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

You called Discodez a "smug prick".

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 65
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 7:09:49 PM   
Drooch

quote:

quote:

You called Discodez a "smug prick".

No, I said it was a shame that he chose to be a smug prick, not that he inherently was a smug prick. 'x is a smug prick' would be name-calling, and that's not what I wrote. He could have made his point without pleasuring his ego with the condescending 'high horse' comments, but instead he chose to be a smug prick, a real shame because I'm sure he's inherently a decent person with much to offer.

Post #: 66
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 8:19:35 PM   
superdan

Love it. Call someone an enemy of film again!

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 67
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 11:19:55 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

No, I said it was a shame that he chose to be a smug prick, not that he inherently was a smug prick. 'x is a smug prick' would be name-calling, and that's not what I wrote. He could have made his point without pleasuring his ego with the condescending 'high horse' comments, but instead he chose to be a smug prick, a real shame because I'm sure he's inherently a decent person with much to offer.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 68
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 11:37:34 PM   
Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Cool stuff, but do you have anything to add to this topic? Dropping a little rat turd and running away may score you points with the other kids but it doesn't further the discussion at hand...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 69
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 11:48:57 PM   
Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Aww, that's clever, Monster Cat, because you posted the video where he's doing the thing. Great stuff. Do you have anything valuable to add to the discussion we're having?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 70
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 11:51:11 PM   
MonsterCat

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 71
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 22/4/2013 11:55:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Aww, that's clever, Monster Cat, because you posted the video where he's doing the thing.

It's a gif.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 72
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 12:44:56 AM   
Drooch

quote:

And see there you posted another video! You didn't engage with my post you just went right ahead and posted another video, like really... irreverent, and stuff. Is this what you meant when you wrote 'Yeah, I'm a harsh, unconscionable and sometimes really unpleasant cunt' on this board?:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3594922&mpage=2&key=

Along with your 'reported to mods' tag line you must be some kind of Empire forum 'badass'. I hope it's made you notorious and feared. Why not post some more videos and score some more badass points? When you've done that, how about contributing to the discussion we're having about censorship?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 73
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 12:50:27 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

And see there you posted another video!

Why not post some more videos and score some more badass points?

They're gifs.

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 74
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 1:15:01 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

And see there you posted another video! You didn't engage with my post you just went right ahead and posted another video, like really... irreverent, and stuff. Is this what you meant when you wrote 'Yeah, I'm a harsh, unconscionable and sometimes really unpleasant cunt' on this board?:

Along with your 'reported to mods' tag line you must be some kind of Empire forum 'badass'. I hope it's made you notorious and feared. Why not post some more videos and score some more badass points? When you've done that, how about contributing to the discussion we're having about censorship?

That needs to be your new title MC.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 75
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 2:07:18 AM   
Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

Yeah 'MC', that should be your new title.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 76
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 2:51:35 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 77
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 2:56:21 AM   
Shifty Bench

Hey! That's my favourite gif to used when I'm confused

Post #: 78
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 3:13:36 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Hey! That's my favourite gif to used when I'm confused

Sorry Shifty, it really fit my feelings perfectly.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 79
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 3:22:38 AM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, it's a perfect gif

Post #: 80
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 5:46:04 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Yeah, it's a perfect gif

Tis indeed, plus it's much less creepy than the Bale nodding gif

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 81
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 7:44:29 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Cool stuff, but do you have anything to add to this topic? Dropping a little rat turd and running away may score you points with the other kids but it doesn't further the discussion at hand...

It's a shame you seem to relish behaving like a genuinely unpleasant person, as it actively inhibits discussion of the topic (of which there had been plenty before you barrelled in with typical tact and diplomacy). The irony is that you yourself have contributed very little beyond your usual passive-aggression and asking other people if they have anything to contribute.

As for the topic itself, I really don't mind that the distributors of Die Hard 5 or whatever film choose to remove a minute or two of their films in order to make more money, as long as I can watch the full thing on BD. As has been said many times, the distributors are almost always free to release the film completely uncut if they want. That hardly bears the hallmarks of censorship.

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 82
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 7:47:16 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

I disagree, I think it should be this.

Anyway, as you were Drooch...

HEY GUYS I CAN POST THOSE VIDEO CLIP THINGS TOO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 83
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 9:13:25 AM   
MonsterCat

I would have that as my new title but my ass is mild at best.

Empire forum mildass doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Drooch, I could talk about the subject at hand, but any opinions I impart will be shot down by you as being either misinformed or naive, which is what you did when I defended the BBFC a couple of months back. Either that or you just swear at people who disagree with you.

Not that it's any skin of my teeth. Seriously, fill your boots, m8.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 23/4/2013 9:31:07 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 84
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 9:49:17 AM   
Drooch

quote:

Drooch, I could talk about the subject at hand, but any opinions I impart will be shot down by you as being either misinformed or naive, which is what you did when I defended the BBFC a couple of months back. Either that or you just swear at people who disagree with you.

You're not going to add to the discussion because of some imagined future responses from me? Why did you come here and post those videos in the first place?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 85
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 9:53:44 AM   
elab49

Because last we looked we don't live in a tinpot dictatorship where we examine contributions before we permit them

Unlike you Drooch, we don't make distinctions between someone's lifestyle choice as a smug prick and calling someone one - so please go with your preference for all things grown up and address other's posts that way. And stop backseat modding.

For the rest, on-topic please. Ta

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 86
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 10:24:50 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

You're not going to add to the discussion because of some imagined future responses from me? Why did you come here and post those videos in the first place?

Not imagined future responses. Actual past responses that have proven you are not worth "discussing" with, because all you do is hurl abuse at people and twist their words.

And on topic, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make out. Most of the time it's seconds of footage here and there that you wouldn't even notice was gone (like in The Hunger Games). And pretty much every time the uncut version is available on DVD, which is how most people watch movies, anyway.

The thing I'm finding more disturbing is creating completely different versions of the film, with a different cast and different scenes, specifically for China. I've seen when this method was reversed (ie. the original US release of Godzilla - okay, that was a Japanese film, but still), and the scenes that were added later just looked really out of place and only damaged the film. Why announce that you're going to make a movie as a co-production with China, and then limit the scenes with the Chinese cast to Chinese audiences? Why not just put them in the film anyway and not have to make two versions? Those are great actors in their own right and should be exposed to Western audiences in a mainstream film.

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 87
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 10:58:36 AM   
Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Because last we looked we don't live in a tinpot dictatorship where we examine contributions before we permit them

Unlike you Drooch, we don't make distinctions between someone's lifestyle choice as a smug prick and calling someone one - so please go with your preference for all things grown up and address other's posts that way. And stop backseat modding.

For the rest, on-topic please. Ta

Thanks but you're answering a question that was specifically directed at someone else.

It wasn't a 'lifestyle choice', it was a one-off choice to be a smug prick with his needlessly condescending 'high horse' comment. Any moderating needs to be directed at that unnecessary hostility in an otherwise productive discussion. Your efforts are well-intentioned but misplaced.

It's genuinely good that you came here to tell people to get back on-topic, but your provocative accusations of 'tinpot dictatorships' and 'backseat modding' are the kind of bitchy behaviour you need to be guarding against, not indulging in.

With that, let's get back on-topic. It's great to see that there haven't been any more cases of cuts-for-cash since the BBFC's appalling involvement in slicing up Die Hard 5, any guesses as to which upcoming films will suffer cuts in pursuit of the holy 12A?

Olympus Has Fallen was a welcome return to the Die Hard clone. It's a shame that the last two Die Hards will have more in common with Olympus' neutered, younger brother - Roland Emerich's White House Down.

Edit - word removed, in breach of Board rules on foul and unacceptable language

< Message edited by elab49 -- 23/4/2013 11:13:37 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 88
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 11:12:47 AM   
elab49

What you call 'bitchy behaviour' we call an interjection from the Moderation Team.

Stop telling other posters what to do and, to anyone who wishes to post on this Board, we'd very much recommend considering both tone and language when you do.

A word has been removed from your post - it's unacceptable on this Board, don't use it again.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 89
RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A - 23/4/2013 11:26:43 AM   
Rgirvan44

God, I was just reminded that Scream 4 is a thing.

THANKS EVERYONE.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: STUDIO CENSORSHIP - THE WRETCHED 12A Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI