Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The LEGO Thread!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> The LEGO Thread! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 11:59:40 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Simply the greatest toy of all......

Everyone loves Lego!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 1:46:57 PM   
jonson

Absolutely loved Lego as a kid, my Mum and dad thought that I'd end up working there when I was older. It was, admittedly, before the Lego Technic years, and before the film tie-ins and all that goes with it now, so basically I just had about 10 different sized blocks, to stick together to try and make something interesting (my favourite was making K9 the dog from Dr Who)

Luckily, I have 2 God-sons who adore Lego, so 3 times a year (2 birthdays and a Christmas) I get to excitedly buy the stuff. Lord knows what I would have done as a kid with the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter stuff you can get. It's incredible.
Even cooler, I bought them both a Lego Wii controller last month. A Wii controller made out of Lego! And it works! A bargain at 17 each, you can change the colour, add bits to them, absolutely brilliant.
I'd never seen them so thrilled with a present.

I'm pretty sure the invention of Lego was a real educational tool as well, certainly for my generation. How many young lads (and girls - oops, sorry) went on to become engineers, mechanics etc as well as the practical mathematical skills it gave us.

I'd rank Lego as the most important children's toy of all time.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 1:55:53 PM   
steffols

It's probably no secret from the amount of times I've moaned about it, that my fiance is a huge Lego fan. I've never known anyone who is so passionate about something before. He designs his own Lego decals to stick on Lego figures. He was making his own Lego Superman and Wonder Woman years before Lego clocked on!

This is his Lego Doctor Who and Amy Pond, using his own decal for the Doctor.

This is his custom Batman and Robin, made to look like Nolan-era Batman.

And this is his custom Spider-man rogue gallery. He painted Vultures wings, I think they came out really well.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 2:12:31 PM   
matty_b

I bought Jr his first Lego toy for his birthday and although it was relatively small - a fire truck - I have to admit that the concentration needed to put it together and the satisfaction of finally clicking everything into place was really quite something. And I say that as someone who never personally bothered with Lego as a child.

Of course, when he drops it and it falls into 100 pieces again, I want to kick the wall, but that's besides the point.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 4
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 2:31:02 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've just made the decision to collect the singular minifigures that were introduced a couple of years ago with my son. We're currently enjoying trying to find them as cheap as possible. There's nine series at the moment and 16 in each series. Only need two to complete the latest series and then we can move on to the back catalouge for a while.

As well as that we have quite a lot of other Lego, lots of PoTc and LoTR Lego. The detail in some of the pieces is amazing and it's great fun to play with my five year old son with. Really is great father and son time. Even the Mrs is starting to get a bit hooked

Having said that, you can't beat just plain old Lego blocks. Just buliding anything you want. Such a great great toy.

I'm currently trying to get the Mrs to buy me this for my 30th in the summer, I think I'm slowly grinding her down:

My dad also recently rebuilt the Lego Castle I received as a present from Santa at Christmas when I was four! He bought a few missing bits from ebay and it's like we're back in 1987 again. Now my son plays with it when we visit....

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 2:32:36 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

They're really good! Unfortunately I just don't have the imagination or spare time to do anything like this. Loving the work though!

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 15/2/2013 2:33:05 PM >

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 6
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 4:02:00 PM   
clownfoot

I have Star Wars Lego. Clownfoot junior will only be allowed to play with my Star Wars Lego when he reaches 18 years of age....

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 7
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 15/2/2013 6:21:27 PM   
matty_b

That's an awesome look of concentration on your son's face, YFU.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 8
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 16/2/2013 7:43:09 PM   
vader100

Currently adorning my subwoofer are the Lego Millennium Falcon and the foot high Lego R2D2. One day my boy and I will get and build the Super Star Destroyer. Only problem will be working out where to display a 1.25m Lego model!

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 9
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 18/2/2013 9:54:11 AM   
MOTH

The house is currently strewn with Lego Duplo and Lego Friends - Legofoot a common injury chez moi at the minute.

The real problem arises when your offspring have used a piece of Lego in their creation that YOU need to complete your killer space robot.
This requires some misdirection as you invite them to look elsewhere whilst you quickly dismantle their effort to snaffle it. Leads to tears sometimes, but hey! it's (Lego) character building for them.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 10
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 19/2/2013 12:35:45 AM   
adambatman82

I actually got back in to Lego over Xmas, after the missus bought me a book and a small set as a gift! I turned 30 last December and think it might be my first mid-life crisis. We're getting this next week, and I can't wait. -

It's a part of their Modular range, aimed at hobbyists. The whole thing is really cool (I particularly like the department store), but Lego is just too damn expensive these days that it's not something I'll ever be able to take too seriously.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 19/2/2013 12:36:07 AM >

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 11
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 22/2/2013 1:29:03 AM   
adambatman82

I spent about 4 hours building the ground floor of the cinema this evening! Talk about intricate. I scoffed at the 16+ age rating when I first saw the set, but now I kind of appreciate it! Patience is the biggest hurdle, as there are so many pieces that it's easy to lose track of what you're actually supposed to be doing.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 12
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 27/2/2013 3:45:59 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Series 10 Minifigures have been revealed early by Argos of all people:

Love the 'Bald Cap' on the old man!

If rumours are to be believed the 'golden' figure will be rare. One in a whole box of 60. He's either going to be a pain in the bum to find or cost me a fortune. I have a good mind to buy a full box and then sell the extras!

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 27/2/2013 3:47:37 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 27/2/2013 3:49:12 PM   
Chief

I'm all for licensed Lego but the Turtles stuff looks gash.

Post #: 14
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 27/2/2013 3:50:34 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

They have a Cave Troll!

Post #: 15
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 27/2/2013 3:52:05 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I'm all for licensed Lego but the Turtles stuff looks gash.

I loved the turtles as a kid but I'm not interested in the Lego one bit. Just looks pretty rubbish to be fair.

Castles and Keeps is where it's at!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 2/3/2013 11:34:37 PM   
adambatman82

Finished this tonight! It looks so cool.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 2/3/2013 11:35:11 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 4/3/2013 6:19:05 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

That's awesome! Has it inspired you to think of buying other modulars so you can build a street?

Post #: 18
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 7/3/2013 5:56:17 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

That's awesome! Has it inspired you to think of buying other modulars so you can build a street?

I said not initially, but I am quite tempted to carry on! I just need to convince the wife!

Post #: 19
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 10/3/2013 7:06:27 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

That's an awesome look of concentration on your son's face, YFU.

Completely agree - the look on that little man's face is what Lego is all about!

I've been looking round the new Lego store that's opened near us, getting seriously tempted to buy some! Loved it when I was a kid, and my wife blagged me a pricey bit of Star Wars stuff for free when she used to work for Merlin Entertainments a few years back.

Can't quite decide if it's a bit premature of me, as my son hasn't even been born yet and I'm thinking "might as well buy some for when he'll be old enough", but fuck it, I think I'll buy some even if only for my own entertainment! My parents still have a bucket of Lego from when I was little in their loft, so will be having that next time I see them.

May start collecting the Lego Minifigures - think I'm a bit late to the party but they do look cool!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 20
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 11/3/2013 11:29:50 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Can't quite decide if it's a bit premature of me, as my son hasn't even been born yet and I'm thinking "might as well buy some for when he'll be old enough", but fuck it, I think I'll buy some even if only for my own entertainment! My parents still have a bucket of Lego from when I was little in their loft, so will be having that next time I see them.

Your parents kept you in the loft when you were little?

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 21
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 11/3/2013 1:27:29 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Do it. My boy is only two and quite contented with Duplo at the moment. So, I keep buying Star Wars Lego under the pretence he will play with and build it when he is older...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 22
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 11/3/2013 1:41:18 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

Your parents kept you in the loft when you were little?

They did - rather like an 80's, higher altitude version of Harry Potter...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 23
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 18/3/2013 2:41:38 PM   
Beno

Whats all this fuss about the new 'pink Lego' and all these feminist types kicking off saying it insults young girls and is a stereotype........................ what a joke!!

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 24
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 18/3/2013 3:12:10 PM   
homersimpson_esq

This is one I would love to have time/space/money to make.

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/4/14/awesome-2001-a-space-odyssey-lego-set-made-of-3873-pieces.html

Includes a 215 page PDF of instructions...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 25
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 18/3/2013 7:57:26 PM   
Sledge Hammer

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

Post #: 26
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 18/3/2013 8:33:47 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Whats all this fuss about the new 'pink Lego' and all these feminist types kicking off saying it insults young girls and is a stereotype........................ what a joke!!

Well it is a bit of a joke. Lego ran a very good ad campaign in the 80s,

(An advert that shows both girls and boys enjoying the exact same toy! This should be in a museum, it's so rare.)

showing that girls don't need to have Lego made for them to enjoy it. Now the idea seems that girls will only enjoy Lego if its pink and they can make shops and boutiques.

Of course, Lego isn't the only toy manufacturer that is guilty of this. The thing is Lego is a great toy for both girls and boys, it's just bricks and kids love building, there is no need for it to be marketed at a specific gender.

< Message edited by steffols -- 18/3/2013 8:36:25 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 27
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 21/3/2013 9:41:46 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

To be fair to Lego I don't see the problem. The Lego 'Friends' range is great and it certainly caters for the 'girls'. Lego can't win in some respects, they have been slated for making sets that are mainly aimed at boys and not having enough 'girl' orientated Lego and as soon as they do they get slated for the opposite. They've tried it a couple of times over the years but never pulled it off, now the Friends range has been a hit so there must be a market for it.

My two year old girl loves playing with Lego with her brother but she's certainly more drawn to the Friends range as is natural. Lego are just catering to the market. I don't see the problem. It's not like they've made 'Olivias Ironing' and 'Teresas Cooking' sets. There's sets like the inventors workshop.....

A storm in a tea cup.....

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 28
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 21/3/2013 1:05:08 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/4/14/awesome-2001-a-space-odyssey-lego-set-made-of-3873-pieces.html

That's pretty doable I reckon. Based on my experiences with the cinema, which is 2194 pieces (120 pages of instructions), I'd imagine you'd only need a month to do it casually. The pieces wouldn't be *too* expensive either, there'd be change from 200. At the very least I'm tempted to give the Dawn Of Man thing a go...

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 29
RE: The LEGO Thread! - 21/3/2013 1:16:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

That's pretty doable I reckon. Based on my experiences with the cinema, which is 2194 pieces (120 pages of instructions), I'd imagine you'd only need a month to do it casually. The pieces wouldn't be *too* expensive either, there'd be change from 200. At the very least I'm tempted to give the Dawn Of Man thing a go...

That's assuming you could *just* buy those pieces though. I'd imagine to cobble it all together you'd end up having to buy much more than you need just to get the pieces you need specifically.

It's a thing of beauty though.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> The LEGO Thread! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI