Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Zeffirelli's The Taming of the Shrew

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Zeffirelli's The Taming of the Shrew Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zeffirelli's The Taming of the Shrew - 14/2/2013 11:34:37 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

This was on the tellybox on Saturday.

As you'd expect of a Zeffirelli Shakespeare adaptation, it was a rich, lavish and beautiful production - gorgeous costumes and sets - with fine performances (and obvious natural chemistry) from Burton and Taylor as the two leads. It's also notable for being the debut of the King of Cats himself, Michael York.

It's a bit of a strange play, to be honest; I doubt feminists appreciate its message: that if women are feisty and difficult you should break them with cruelty till they are meek and obedient and know who's boss. I understand a new version is being made with Anne Hathaway - it'll be interesting to see how they translate it for a 21st century audience.

I always love a bit of Shakespeare though (and a bit of Richard Burton!) so I thoroughly enjoyed this.

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Zeffirelli's The Taming of the Shrew Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI