Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

10 Die Hard Movies That Aren’t Die Hard Movies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 10 Die Hard Movies That Aren’t Die Hard Movies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10 Die Hard Movies That Aren’t Die Hard Movies - 14/2/2013 12:08:32 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Die Hard on a... - 14/2/2013 12:08:32 PM   
Normal Control

Cliffhanger, Speed, and Under Siege are all brilliant action movies in their own right, and hardly clones of Die Hard. To be fair, the bit on Speed acknowledges this.

Weren't Die Hard 2 and 3 (maybe 4 too, trying to forget it) based on scripts or source material that had nothing to do with the McClane character originally?

The 'Die Hard on a...' stuff always seemed like redundant lazy journalism whenever I heard this comment describing another action movie.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Die Hard on a... - 14/2/2013 1:26:56 PM   
rogerebert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Normal Control

Cliffhanger, Speed, and Under Siege are all brilliant action movies in their own right, and hardly clones of Die Hard. To be fair, the bit on Speed acknowledges this.

Weren't Die Hard 2 and 3 (maybe 4 too, trying to forget it) based on scripts or source material that had nothing to do with the McClane character originally?

The 'Die Hard on a...' stuff always seemed like redundant lazy journalism whenever I heard this comment describing another action movie.

Normally yeah but there is a Die Hard movie out this week (although many will beg to differ)

Total Film has a similar feature but their insistence on doing "50 films..." lists makes it virtually unreadable.

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 3
RE: Die Hard on a... - 14/2/2013 2:07:42 PM   
Osric

quote:

Cliffhanger... and Under Siege are all brilliant action movies in their own right, and hardly clones of Die Hard.

C'mon are you serious?! They're *absolutely* following the Die Hard formula.

Post #: 4
RE: Die Hard on a... - 14/2/2013 2:38:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

It's true, though. After Die Hard, there were hundreds of pitches to writers and producers of 'Die Hard on a '. Under Siege and Cliffhanger are absolute examples of this. It's something that actually happened, it's not just lazy journalism.

One mistake I noticed in this article was the entry for Sudden Death.....it was a woman in a penguin suit that Van Damme fought, not a man.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 5
Roy Rogers - 14/2/2013 9:03:45 PM   
Hans Zharkov

Woah woah hang on there, lazy journalism my ironside! This is first class quality action movie tracking. That Double Team gets a side mention (yes its shit but has Paul Freeman in it) shows the heavy research this journo went to to bring us this often amusing trip back through the kind of action films guranteed to be shown on 8 hour bus journeys on a continent of one's choosing... Nice refs to the Directors

Post #: 6
The Rock and Air Force One - 14/2/2013 9:49:27 PM   
TPM007

Let's not forget 'The Rock' as being Die Hard...in an abandoned prison island.

Also, I certainly would have put Harrison Ford's classic version of Die Hard... on a plane over 'Passenger 57', rather than sticking it in the 'See Also:' section...

Post #: 7
Great line - 15/2/2013 1:15:11 AM   
rob_devitt

"Point Blank is not to be confused with the Lee Marvin film of the same name. Because it’s shit." Love it!

Post #: 8
Die Hard On.... - 15/2/2013 10:14:41 AM   
spark1

think 'sudden death' is underrated-has one of my fave chief villain death scene at the end.
'executive decision' and 'air force one' are my fave DH on a plane movies.

Post #: 9
Fly Hard = Air Force One, Executive Decision - 15/2/2013 6:33:04 PM   
BenTramer

DIe Hard and Play Misty For Me are among the most ripped-off movies in history (you could add in Halloween also). Fatal Attraction ripped off Play Misty For Me and the floodgates opened. That Andrew Dice Clay movie I've never heard of, it's got a great cast though and I bet you could get it on Amazon for 27p if it's available at all from ShitHouse Films Distributors (it's a bigger shock that Clay was still making movies in '95).

< Message edited by BenTramer -- 15/2/2013 6:34:13 PM >

Post #: 10
DH5? - 18/2/2013 9:32:19 PM   
Normal Control

Seems AGDTDH tried to imitate a Die Hard movie but couldn't quite cut it.

Not that I've seen it, or want to.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 10 Die Hard Movies That Aren’t Die Hard Movies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI