Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 15/2/2013 1:09:21 PM   
matty_b

By all reports, and his own admission on Twitter, he's a pretty damn good shot with a gun.

I'm also assuming that if he hears something in the middle of the night, then he's going to have to attach his legs (you don't sleep with those things on...do you?), which is surely going to take a good couple of minutes in the pitch black and then he has to get his gun, go out and investigate.... and in all that time his girlfriend doesn't identify herself/he doesn't realise it's her?

Hm.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 61
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 15/2/2013 1:18:40 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

By all reports, and his own admission on Twitter, he's a pretty damn good shot with a gun.

I'm also assuming that if he hears something in the middle of the night, then he's going to have to attach his legs (you don't sleep with those things on...do you?), which is surely going to take a good couple of minutes in the pitch black and then he has to get his gun, go out and investigate.... and in all that time his girlfriend doesn't identify herself/he doesn't realise it's her?

Hm.

Yeah, I was wondering about the legs thing - if he keeps a gun by his bed, as many people do in South Africa by the sounds of it, and heard a sound would he bother attaching his legs first or just fire blindly from his bed?

The whole thing is just horrible.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 62
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 15/2/2013 1:33:22 PM   
MovieAddict247

Also, RE: the Sun and how shite it can be....

I find this in particular bad taste, especially when yesterday witnessed One Billion Rising, which was in protest to abuse received by women. So now, a woman has been killed, by her boyfriend, and all they can do is objectify her. It's just nasty.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 63
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 15/2/2013 1:47:13 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

Hm.

Yeah, I was wondering about the legs thing - if he keeps a gun by his bed, as many people do in South Africa by the sounds of it, and heard a sound would he bother attaching his legs first or just fire blindly from his bed?

But even then you'd have to assume that it wouldn't be the first time he'd been woken by a sound in the night, surely even the most nervous person doesn't immediately grab a gun and start shooting. Especially as firing blindly runs the risk of

A. Shooting the wrong person.

B. Missing the criminal and giving them reason to return fire.

So if he's trained with a gun, and the fear of crime is a familiar situation, surely he'd know better.

Post #: 64
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 15/2/2013 1:57:58 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

Hm.

But even then you'd have to assume that it wouldn't be the first time he'd been woken by a sound in the night, surely even the most nervous person doesn't immediately grab a gun and start shooting. Especially as firing blindly runs the risk of

A. Shooting the wrong person.

B. Missing the criminal and giving them reason to return fire.

So if he's trained with a gun, and the fear of crime is a familiar situation, surely he'd know better.

Yeah, I know - I'm just pondering.

And he definitely is trained with a gun - as Matty said, there's been a lot in interviews about it.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 65
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 3:38:16 PM   
King_Bard

First Lance and now Oscar...Sir Steve Redgrave next?

And I find the puns very distasteful .A young women was shot here remember?

Post #: 66
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 3:51:22 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Bard

So your comment about Sir Steve Redgrave wasn't a pun then, you were being serious?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 67
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 3:55:37 PM   
homersimpson_esq

With humour there is a line. Unfortunately that line is differently placed for every single person. Some of the tamer jokes on this forum will be met with horror by some. Others see nothing wrong with any of Frankie Boyle's jokes. When death and tragedy strike, humour will always be present. It's inescapable, a gallows humour of sorts, and there's not a lot to be done other than ignore what you dislike and enjoy what you do.

I would rather live in a world where we can endure people making bad jokes about horrific events, than live in a world where what we can or cannot say is censured to that extent. Obviously "freedom of speech" is trotted out as an excuse for people saying all sorts of prejudiced and narrowminded things, but there's a legal line that isn't in play here. You can't legislate against bad taste. You can just ignore it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 68
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 4:00:38 PM   
jonson

I know what you are saying, but surely a humerous angle on an horrific event is a humerous angle, irrespective of it's level of sickness? A pun is still making light of the matter. If King_Bard above had said he finds some of the puns on here distasteful, I might not be nit-picking
That said, I'm all full of Pastorious jokes now, I must have read/heard about a thousand over the weekend, most of them not funny.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 69
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 4:15:06 PM   
King_Bard

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

So your comment about Sir Steve Redgrave wasn't a pun then, you were being serious?

Seriously? You are bringing me up on that?

Do you honestly think what I said was in any way distasteful?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 70
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 4:22:12 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

With humour there is a line. Unfortunately that line is differently placed for every single person. Some of the tamer jokes on this forum will be met with horror by some. Others see nothing wrong with any of Frankie Boyle's jokes. When death and tragedy strike, humour will always be present. It's inescapable, a gallows humour of sorts, and there's not a lot to be done other than ignore what you dislike and enjoy what you do.

I would rather live in a world where we can endure people making bad jokes about horrific events, than live in a world where what we can or cannot say is censured to that extent. Obviously "freedom of speech" is trotted out as an excuse for people saying all sorts of prejudiced and narrowminded things, but there's a legal line that isn't in play here. You can't legislate against bad taste. You can just ignore it.

I do agree, but immediately derailing a thread with them is another matter, but thats at the feet of the thread creator to decide?but as you say it's about what is acceptable and legal, as long as its applied to other areas, and we can all be third rate Frankie Boyles about everything, keeping it legal, then it's all good. I guess ignoring is easy, as long as you know and expect the tone in news threads to contain bad taste jokes. I guess perspective is needed too, I mean you wouldn't want a user jokingly using a thick footballers stereotype being compared to a step away from racism/discrimination would you, or being brought up on it by a couple of other users.

< Message edited by erasheha1985 -- 18/2/2013 4:24:13 PM >

Post #: 71
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 4:26:07 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

Seriously? You are bringing me up on that?

Do you honestly think what I said was in any way distasteful?

No, not at all, and I'm never serious
It was just ironic that the first sentence in the first post you make in this thread is a joke (or at least I assume it was and you're in no way suggesting Redgrave is a drug's cheat/murderer) and your second sentence was announcing you find the puns in this thread distasteful.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 72
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 4:29:46 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: erasheha1985

quote:

I do agree, but immediately derailing a thread with them is another matter, but thats at the feet of the thread creator to decide?but as you say it's about what is acceptable and legal, as long as its applied to other areas, and we can all be third rate Frankie Boyles about everything, keeping it legal, then it's all good. I guess ignoring is easy, as long as you know and expect the tone in news threads to contain bad taste jokes. I guess perspective is needed too, I mean you wouldn't want a user jokingly using a thick footballers stereotype being compared to a step away from racism/discrimination would you, or being brought up on it by a couple of other users.

You would have loved the "boy pokes crocodile with stick" thread . I found that thread extremely distasteful but it did at least teach me that pretty much nothing is pun proof on this forum.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 73
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 4:33:57 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

You would have loved the "boy pokes crocodile with stick" thread . I found that thread extremely distasteful but it did at least teach me that pretty much nothing is pun proof on this forum.

Hey I just want to know what's acceptable, everything it seems apart from alluding Frank Lampard is thick or making negative statements about Colin Farrell . This forum has changed a lot since I was here in the orange days, I forget how much time has passed. Peace and love to all.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 74
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 4:36:42 PM   
Hood_Man

Is it really possible to completely derail a thread? This isn't a verbal conversation where you can be talked over and interrupted, there's nothing to stop you from carrying on regardless. If people are interested in discussing something with you they will.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 75
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 5:30:32 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Hey I just want to know what's acceptable, everything it seems apart from alluding Frank Lampard is thick or making negative statements about Colin Farrell . This forum has changed a lot since I was here in the orange days, I forget how much time has passed. Peace and love to all.

Oh it hasn't changed that much fella, there are still shed loads of annoying students on here...

Also, the Frank Lampard stuff is fine and completely acceptable, but that doesn't mean everyone agrees with it.

It would be even more boring on here (than it has become) if we all agreed about everything....

Post #: 76
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 7:04:13 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

Oh it hasn't changed that much fella, there are still shed loads of annoying students on here...

Also, the Frank Lampard stuff is fine and completely acceptable, but that doesn't mean everyone agrees with it.

It would be even more boring on here (than it has become) if we all agreed about everything....

Because there's nothing boring about moaning about how boring it is compared to back in the day. Maybe that's cos back then nobody was moaning about how good it used to be... /winkyfacetoalleviatetensionandindicatejocularity

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 77
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 7:15:38 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because there's nothing boring about moaning about how boring it is compared to back in the day. Maybe that's cos back then nobody was moaning about how good it used to be... /winkyfacetoalleviatetensionandindicatejocularity

The mods were better back then too, from what I can see especially that Kanwar fellow, anyhow, enough of this back in the day stuff. It doesn't sound right coming from a white non hip hop fan. And yes you can scold me for using a lazy stereotype.

So this Oscar fellow....

Post #: 78
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 7:31:45 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The mods were better back then too, from what I can see especially that Kanwar fellow, anyhow

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 79
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 8:53:56 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

So this Oscar fellow....

Post #: 80
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 9:33:28 PM   
Skiba

Back to Pistorius and there's reports in the Saffer press that he was seen carrying her body down the stairs and that there was a bloodied cricket bat found at the scene.

I'll leave the police are stumped gags to someone else

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 81
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 18/2/2013 10:03:56 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 82
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 19/2/2013 1:31:00 PM   
lbiu

So Oscars account is

He got up from bed where he was sleeping with Reeva to go outside.
He than heard something in the bathroom.
He was not with his legs so he grabbed his gun.
He than shot four times at the door.
He used the cricket bat to smash the door open realising Reeva was not in the bed he was previously sleeping in.
When he found her he carried her downstairs where she died.

My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is not a porn star.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 83
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 19/2/2013 2:14:08 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Ooowwww touchy.

Sorry, I forgot we aren't even aloud to mention that it's not as much fun on here anymore - compared to the orange days when the internet was a brave new world etc.... sheeesh

It's true of most forums I'm sure.

Post #: 84
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 19/2/2013 4:45:57 PM   
BigKovacs

Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 85
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 19/2/2013 4:56:19 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: lbiu

So Oscars account is

He used the cricket bat to smash the door open realising Reeva was not in the bed he was previously sleeping in.

Yeah, I was reading about that earlier. It doesn't seem... entirely plausible. Not implausible, but it doesn't quite seem to add up to me. He didn't hear or notice she had left the bed and gone to the bathroom, but heard something in the bathroom and immediately leapt to the conclusion someone had climbed in through the toilet window? I don't think that would be my first thought. And apparently it's a conclusion he felt so convinced by that he grabbed his gun from under the bed (still not noticing his girlfriend wasn't in it), unloaded on the fucking toilet door while screaming for her to call the police and then UH OH SPAGHETTIO'S realises his gf isn't in the bed and it was her in the toilet. And why would you use a cricket bat to open a toilet door? What kind of door was it that he couldn't just put his Olympic athlete shoulders through it?

It all just seems a bit weird to me.

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 86
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 19/2/2013 5:38:12 PM   
lbiu

I have no idea....he might be telling the truth but who knows.
I guess I just keep asking why wold he bother killing her?? It all seems so random.

My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is not a porn star.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 87
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 20/2/2013 8:50:15 AM   
MrsFinkelstein

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: lbiu

So Oscars account is

Yeah, I was reading about that earlier. It doesn't seem... entirely plausible. Not implausible, but it doesn't quite seem to add up to me. He didn't hear or notice she had left the bed and gone to the bathroom, but heard something in the bathroom and immediately leapt to the conclusion someone had climbed in through the toilet window? I don't think that would be my first thought. And apparently it's a conclusion he felt so convinced by that he grabbed his gun from under the bed (still not noticing his girlfriend wasn't in it), unloaded on the fucking toilet door while screaming for her to call the police and then UH OH SPAGHETTIO'S realises his gf isn't in the bed and it was her in the toilet. And why would you use a cricket bat to open a toilet door? What kind of door was it that he couldn't just put his Olympic athlete shoulders through it?

It all just seems a bit weird to me.

I don't know, as you say pretty implausible, but could be 1 of those idiotic situations that is so implausible it's actually true. He did seem pretty distraught in court yesterday, either that or he's a brilliant actor.

I kind of get the impression he's so paranoid about CRIME and being murdered in his own bed, so he arms himself and it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy and the only ones who end up dead are them or a member of their family? How big is his bed and how dark is his room that he couldn't see she wasn't in it? And if he was shouting to the intruder and to his girlfriend he obviously wasn't giving anyone any time to respond before shooting, otherwise surely she would have shouted back "WTF are you doing, it's me you twat".

If he's saying he shot through the door while not having his legs on should the bullet trajectories not show that, or have I just watched way too much CSI?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 88
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 20/2/2013 9:07:01 AM   
elab49

People can kill comeone and still be genuinely distraught. Abusers eg are often extremely remorseful, esp if they attack when drunk. And, of course, self-pity can make you pretty upset too.

So I wouldn't put much on his courtroom behaviour tbh. It could be that, it could be other things.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 89
RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting - 20/2/2013 9:43:17 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

People can kill comeone and still be genuinely distraught. Abusers eg are often extremely remorseful, esp if they attack when drunk. And, of course, self-pity can make you pretty upset too.

So I wouldn't put much on his courtroom behaviour tbh. It could be that, it could be other things.

Beat me to it. I suspect his torment is genuine, but that has no bearing on what happened that night. Reading further updates this morning, if the prosecutions evidence matches their claims then his defences explanation looks even more ropey to me. If she was fully clothed when she was shot that would make the defence that she was in bed look unlikely, and if there was an overnight bag packed and neighbours heard them rowing then that does too (as well as suggesting a confrontation of some type). If ballistic evidence backs up the police officers belief that the bullets were fired down, rather than up, then that suggests Pistorius had his prosthetics on. Murkier and murkier.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested over shooting Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI