Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What I wanna know...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: What I wanna know... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What I wanna know... - 18/2/2013 11:57:03 PM   
Normal Control

excellent post dude, but is everyone ignoring my original question just to pi$$ me off?

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 121
RE: What I wanna know... - 19/2/2013 12:00:22 AM   
Shifty Bench

I just assumed it is because none of us work for Empire and don't know the answer.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 122
RE: What I wanna know... - 19/2/2013 12:09:32 AM   
Cool Breeze

Saw it tonight.Definetly the weakest of the Die Hard series but found it to be a thoroughly decent actioner all the same.

The action scenes didnt turn out to be as badly shot as i thought they would be given what i heard of the bloody shaky cam rearing its ugly head again like it does too often in action movies these days, but the truck chase through Moscow was pretty exciting stuff and was nowhere near Quantum Of Solace levels of incoherence.The gunship attack on the hotel and the Mclanes escape from it was another highpoint.

The problem is that the script doesnt give Willis any decent quips to dish out.Bruce Willis is great at this kind of thing and some of the highlights of these movies is the insults he usually gives to baddies.Instead he just laughs a lot at them and yells '' Im on vacation! '' at least three times ( Hes not actually on vacation is he? Isnt he here to help his son? ).Jai Courtney looks like a younger clone of Sam Worthington but is decent enough as an action man.

As for the dreaded edits, well this was rated 15 here in Ireland and seemed violent enough to me.Just one use of the F word that i recall which is inexplicably not saved for use during the Yippee Kay yay moment.Maybe the inevetable extended harder cut on blu ray may improve matters.

All in all, i did enjoy the movie but it could and should have been a lot better.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 123
RE: What I wanna know... - 19/2/2013 11:08:02 AM   
jackcarter

did Empire do a feature in the magazine on AGDTDH? - i know there was no cover (a first for DH?) but cant seem to find any articles on it

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 124
RE: A good day to call it a day... - 19/2/2013 1:56:45 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Hey, it turns out the writer of Wolverine wrote a shitty script!

Who knew?

Was he behind it? Ahhh, that explains a lot!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 125
I liked the starting credits - 20/2/2013 10:24:01 AM   
DextersLab

Nothing to recommend here. I saw it in IMAX, and in the opening half hour about 8-10 people walked out, no joke. Wasn't packed either :( This made me sad, but it's just so uninspired!
Terrible bad guys (no-one threatening or remotely charismatic), rubbish plot, boring locations, teriible, terrible script - what the hell happened to funny quipping John McClane? Did anyone involved with these movies watch any of the first 3 films? You see a little bit of humour and energy in the opening car chase - the best action scene in the movie for me, but still with loads of problems - but that energy quickly dies down, and Willis seems to realise it. And the ending! The final shot of the movie! What the hell is this? This film would be 2/5 if it was just a dumb action movie with no one famous and no brand name - because it has the Die Hard brand name it should be a 0.
So, so, so disappointed! :(

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 126
RE: I liked the starting credits - 20/2/2013 8:59:59 PM   
Dr Lenera

I thought it was distinctly average, and easily the worst of the series [though there are really only three Die Hard movies aren't there?], but not as bad as some are saying. The whole thing has obviously been chopped down [the forthcoming director's cut could really help I reckon], the script was mediocre and Willis on distintly weak form. But it's quite fun if you take it on its own, with some great, if often silly, action, though the opening chase is so good the rest of the film suffers. Don't understand complaints about shakycam and incoherent editing:I hate all that and constantly rail against it but didn't think it was overly prevailent in this particular film. In any case,John Moore's a better director than, say, Oliver Megaton or that bastard who ruined Les Misereables anyway!

5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to DextersLab)
Post #: 127
crap - 21/2/2013 8:40:23 PM   
moviemaniac2

how the hell did the DIE hard series end up like this. It has a vague plot and just two noisy action sequences in its short 95 mins. please let there be no more

Post #: 128
RE: I liked the starting credits - 22/2/2013 12:46:04 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

I thought it was distinctly average, and easily the worst of the series [though there are really only three Die Hard movies aren't there?], but not as bad as some are saying. The whole thing has obviously been chopped down [the forthcoming director's cut could really help I reckon], the script was mediocre and Willis on distintly weak form. But it's quite fun if you take it on its own, with some great, if often silly, action, though the opening chase is so good the rest of the film suffers. Don't understand complaints about shakycam and incoherent editing:I hate all that and constantly rail against it but didn't think it was overly prevailent in this particular film. In any case,John Moore's a better director than, say, Oliver Megaton or that bastard who ruined Les Misereables anyway!

5/10

Really you didn't like Les Miserables? Surely you joke about Hooper being worse than Moore?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 129
RE: I liked the starting credits - 22/2/2013 3:31:23 PM   
bennyboy1971

Still waiting for them to release my favourite one on 3D blu: Liv Tyler and Die Hard

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 130
RE: I liked the starting credits - 22/2/2013 6:51:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

5/10

Really you didn't like Les Miserables? Surely you joke about Hooper being worse than Moore?

No joke mate. I hated the direction of that film. Quite frankly, a monkey could have done a better job. Close-up [in the wrong lens] followed by shakycam, followed by another close-up [with the camera unable to keep still], etc. Apart from the incoherent battle scenes we hardly ever saw more than two people in one shot. I love the stage show but the film was horrid. Though this is the Die Hard thread and my blood is boiling from even thinking what Hooper did to Les Miserebles, so I'll shut up about it, but I did do a review/rant on the Les Miserables thread!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 131
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 24/2/2013 2:40:21 AM   
spamandham

I'm gettin' too old for this shit.

Post #: 132
- 24/2/2013 11:15:02 PM   
Troubleshooter

Shit Hard

Post #: 133
RE: - 25/2/2013 10:17:05 PM   
moviebuff73

very disapointed with "a good day to die hard" like many other franchises (lethal weapon, beverly hills cop to name two) it's become very different from the original. in the movie john mcclane crashes two vehicles & gets run over but doesn't have a scratch on him. it's like they thought we have a small plot idea so let's get mcclane to do this, then this & then that, with no real thought of a good story. and what's with all the emotional crap, it's a die hard movie for god's sake not the bloody notebook. the movie that killed the die hard franchise?

< Message edited by moviebuff73 -- 25/2/2013 10:18:03 PM >

(in reply to Troubleshooter)
Post #: 134
Sukkerz - 27/2/2013 8:33:26 PM   
Normal Control

Did ANYONE go into this expecting it to be good? And if you were expecting it to be shit, why give the Hollywood/Moroniplex fuckers more of your time and money?

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 135
YOU LOT ARE SAD FACT!!! - 1/3/2013 11:48:27 AM   
sbm76

Die Hard 5 was never going to be a classic (neither were 2,3&4). But when we are stuck in the middle of award season where most of the films (not all) are made by pretensious tossers and suicidely boring (lincoln anyone) its good to see a far fetched action flick to have a bit of fun. I found it to be far better than parts 2&4 with good humour as always. As for bruce not looking interested its just the character showing that this has happened to many times before and he is bored of it allwhich was making my sides split. What amazes me is you people have made up your mind before you go to see it that you wont like it but you still go. Most be nice to have money to burn. May i recommed to you sad bunch of wanna be film crittics that if you dont want to see a film and have already made up your mind that your going to slag it off then please stop watching these kind of films and just watch 'The Artist' over and over again.

Post #: 136
RE: YOU LOT ARE SAD FACT!!! - 3/3/2013 12:13:09 AM   
Normal Control

who the fuck are you, Rafa Benitez?

(in reply to sbm76)
Post #: 137
die hards dieing a slow death - 3/3/2013 12:13:12 AM   
chrisharvey1551

This is not good. I came away hoping for much more. Willis is ok but he's far away from the John McClane of the first 3 which was also the case in die hard 4 as for the rest I don't care about the casting. No point really in making another one but I'm sure they will and why of why is this a 12a! This is the worst one of the die hards to date.

Post #: 138
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 12:43:59 AM   
kumar

Fuck me... I really wanted to like this film. For what its worth, John McClane was spot on and i thought it was surprising to hear the bad language back. It had some awesome actiony moments but most of the film was fucking terrible. Such a shame to end on this shitty note.

On a side note, Sheffield Odeon, screen 6, what is this? A cinema for ants?!

Edit: ok not spot on, on reflection, but quip wise yes.

< Message edited by kumar -- 3/3/2013 1:20:46 AM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 139
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 6:32:17 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

I love action movies, especially the Die Hard movies. This was not quite as great as the others, but I did get a kick out of it.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 140
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 6:47:12 PM   
Whistler

Jai Courtney's comments at the London premiere are hilarous:

"It offers everything that we've come to expect from this sort of franchise."

"People won't be disappointed, that's for sure."

"The care chase is gonna have people on the edge of their seats."

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 141
RE: YOU LOT ARE SAD FACT!!! - 3/3/2013 6:48:27 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbm76

Die Hard 5 was never going to be a classic (neither were 2,3&4). But when we are stuck in the middle of award season where most of the films (not all) are made by pretensious tossers and suicidely boring (lincoln anyone) its good to see a far fetched action flick to have a bit of fun. I found it to be far better than parts 2&4 with good humour as always. As for bruce not looking interested its just the character showing that this has happened to many times before and he is bored of it allwhich was making my sides split. What amazes me is you people have made up your mind before you go to see it that you wont like it but you still go. Most be nice to have money to burn. May i recommed to you sad bunch of wanna be film crittics that if you dont want to see a film and have already made up your mind that your going to slag it off then please stop watching these kind of films and just watch 'The Artist' over and over again.

Also, most hilarious post I've ever read.

(in reply to sbm76)
Post #: 142
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 6:58:57 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Let's be honest here, at least he's more enthusiastic about it than Bruce.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 143
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 7:23:35 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Let's be honest here, at least he's more enthusiastic about it than Bruce.

That's true, but I think his enthusiasm comes more from being excited by the fact that he scored a role in a Die Hard movie rather than actually thinking the movie's good. Bruce is so unenthusiastic because this is his fifth outing and he knows how far it's fallen.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 144
- 17/5/2013 9:57:50 PM   
TheGodfather

Kinda film action film but it doesn`t really fit into the Die Hard franchise. It`s too over the top (even for a Die Hard flick this one pushes it) and the ending is just plain ridiculous.
Bruce Willis can still do it but, speaking with the wise words of Danny Glover, he`s getting too old for this sh*t. Good thing though that in Jai Courtney they found a good replacement.

6,0/10

Post #: 145
good-day-to-die-hard/ - 8/6/2013 4:06:06 PM   
Conboy

Perhaps if John Moore the Irish director had been handed a better script he may have made a superior film but I doubt it. It was always an odd choice to give him the reigns of the franchise because his films to date from Max Payne to Behind Enemy Lines, to the Omen remake have managed to make action dull. Even the central action sequence in downtown Moscow should be draw dropping instead amidst all the carnage it climaxes with a thud. Skip Woods the writer has also delivered some turkey screenplays recently Wolverine and Hitman are on his CV.

So the omens (no pun intended) were not looking good for the fifth instalment in the franchise. Even Bruce Willis reprising his iconic role as Detective John McClane looks as if hes sleep walking through the film. He seems bemused by the proceedings. Perhaps hes thinking of the pay packet. At fifty eight he still looks good but moves at a slower pace. Jai Courtney produces a serviceable performance as his estranged son. But he needed to be more charismatic, though the script lets him down. Sebastian Koch brings an element of depth to his role which seems more a creation of him than anybody.

The plot is based in Russia and it centres on John Jnr working for the CIA to free an incarcerated criminal who has information on the business practises of a corrupt politician. John Snr thinking his son is involved in drugs flies to Moscow to help, chaos eschews. The courthouse explodes, cars are destroyed, buildings are blown up, all sorts of guns are fired and the climax takes place in Chernobyl. As the action scenes become more preposterous the film loses its audience.

This film is not worthy of the original. Die Hard is now considered a classic in the action genre. All the elements came together, a great script an actor on the rise and a first rate director. The three that followed have varied in quality, but they have all been entertaining. Good Day to Die Hard has you looking at the clock prior to the halfwa

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/6/2013 9:55:50 AM >

Post #: 146
Perhaps a new rule of film/scripts....... - 10/8/2013 12:28:46 AM   
spilsburt

Never ever use a son/father relationship to try and support an established ageing action character role. Film reminded me of The Mummy Three which had similar father/son premise, and equally crap results.

Wanted to love this film......

Post #: 147
DOA - 19/8/2013 5:15:54 PM   
ROTGUT

Homer Simpson seems to have taken over the Die Hard franchise. Trouble is – even though he’s loud and stupid and carries all the finesse of Buster Blood Vessel at free lunch buffet – he doesn’t make me laugh as much as the real Homer Simpson does, so I found it very difficult to warm to him. And the film itself wasn’t much better either. Sleep inducing crap about two Russian technocrats falling out with each other over the fall out in Chernobyl that involves (a) finding a secret file, (b) various stages of silly family bonding and (c) laying waste to half the city of Moscow. Bruce Willis appears to be sleep walking through all of this – and you will be too if you watch it. Pierce Brosnan did it all so much better back in 1995 with GOLDENEYE. If they’re going to make yet another Die Hard film – surely it couldn’t end up any worse than this sorry effort. ONE STAR

Post #: 148
Lamentable..... - 23/8/2013 4:40:30 PM   
BRAINDRAIN

A by the numbers addition to the Die Hard series. The original is still regarded as a classic. This film will be remembered as a forgettable sidebar.

Why don’t they bring back John McTiernan for the next one – or is he still in the nick?

Post #: 149
Lamentable..... - 23/8/2013 4:40:32 PM   
BRAINDRAIN

A by the numbers addition to the Die Hard series. The original is still regarded as a classic. This film will be remembered as a forgettable sidebar.

Why don’t they bring back John McTiernan for the next one – or is he still in the nick?

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: What I wanna know... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI