Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Good Day To Die Hard

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A Good Day To Die Hard Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 18/2/2013 8:55:07 PM   
paulyboy

It's a long way from the worst film I've ever seen, I'd even go so far as to say that it's sporadically entertaining at times. It is however a pretty large misfire when viewed in the company of the other Die Hard films, even 4.0.

I'm not even going to point the finger at Moore, although he shoots the action a little close for my liking here (not helped by the 1:85:1 framing), his visuals and direction of the film's loopy set-pieces were the only entertainment I managed to wrestle from the movie.

The problem is the script, McClane isn't even McClane any more, Willis spends 97 minutes destroying half of Moscow (pretty much straight off the plane), stealing cars, quipping he's on vacation and yelling "Jack" every 17 seconds. The bad guys are beyond awful, the Die Hard films hinge on a decent enemy for me, Rickman, Sadler, Irons, even fucking Olyphant was a veritable treat compared to the charisma vacuums that parade around this fifth installment.

Even Marco Beltrami's score seems to have dissapeared up it's own arse, barely a Die Hard theme to be found, which is strange because he did a decent job apeing Kamen last time round.

Conclusion:

Some brief fun to be had here and there, otherwise it's not great, not great at all.

2/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 91
RE: What I wanna know... - 18/2/2013 10:00:26 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

I dont think he does appear, I think i is an error. Kinda happy for the fella that this shitstain movie wont appear on his cv.

so you all missed the post end credits scene of McClane saying 'end program' and CGing into Captain Picard stepping out the holodeck?

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 18/2/2013 10:05:08 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 92
RE: What I wanna know... - 18/2/2013 10:21:35 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

quote:

I dont think he does appear, I think i is an error. Kinda happy for the fella that this shitstain movie wont appear on his cv.

so you all missed the post end credits scene of McClane saying 'end program' and CGing into Captain Picard stepping out the holodeck?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0c1f9wYw01qbmavt.png

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 93
RE: What I wanna know... - 18/2/2013 11:13:56 PM   
Hood_Man

Die Hard with a Blocked Carotid Artery, Die Hard from a Pulmonary Embolism, Die Harder Quicker, Hurry Up and Die Already, Dai Hard...

I never imagined when I was sitting in the cinema watching Arnie's The Last Stand a few weeks ago, that it would end up being the best of this year's Geriaction Hero Trilogy. Nor did I imagine when I was watching Stallone's Bullet to the Head that it would be knocked into second place in the category of least interesting action movie of the month.

Things start off well. An unimaginative but very loud car chase involving Jack being chase by a road train or whatever it is, through the streets of Moscow, with his Dad pulling up the rear yelling and screaming to nobody in particular, doesn't sound great on paper but I was captivated by it all the same. I did wonder whether the roads needed gritting however considering the cars were doing more 720 spins than Tony Hawk, but I've seen sillier things.

Unfortunately that's it for positives. The first thing that bothers me was how out of place McClane felt. In that first half hour or so I could imagine what it would be like if he was left entirely on the cutting room floor, and the film wouldn't lose focus. It would still be about a big, tough, shaven haired dude breaking a criminal out of court and into the safety of the CIA, and still would have featured a thrilling car chase along the way.

In fact if I didn't know any better, I would have assumed that this was in fact the result of Die Hard 5 being refashioned from another script, about a big, tough, shaven haired dude breaking a criminal out of court and into the safety of the CIA, with McClane Snr being crowbarred into the script every other page just to remind us it's his damn movie.

However, as my 5 second Google search tells me, it turns out this movie was in fact the first film in the Die Hard series to be written from scratch. Well, alright then...

The next thing that bugged me was the relationship between John's Snr &Jnr. Jack growing up with/without a workaholic and mostly absent father figure appears to have turned him into a problem child, then problem adult, then gun toting CIA operative with a permanent scowl. Straightforward enough, whether it's realistic or not doesn't bother me, in "Movie Land" terms it seems believable enough.
However, those involved seem to think we're stupid enough to need reminding of this by having Jack invoke the memory of Charlton Heston by screaming "Damn you John, damn you to Hell!" every 30 seconds.

I got it. I got it very, very quickly. Jack is calling his Dad John because he doesn't feel like John was a good father and therefore doesn't want to call him that, but we keep getting reminded of this so often that I started to wonder if this film was the result of a million goldfish sitting at a million typewriters attempting to produce a Die Hard script, only for the experiment to fail because one of the two goldfish responsible for editing it was on maternity leave and the sole remainder kept forgetting if he'd let one slip through the net. I didn't need to be reminded every minute for 90 minutes like I was playing the most boring game of Centurion ever. It wouldn't surprise me if they stole the concept from Michael Bay's 1998 movie Armageddon either.

At some point however, these issues seem to be abandoned in favour of a very unimaginative buddy movie relationship between today's younger guy and yesterdays Hero, making quips about being "Old School" or doing "James Bond Shit," and for the life of me I can't remember the moment when it happens (possibly just after or during a shootout with a helicopter gun ship). Despite apparently missing the most important years of his son's life through work and apparently not being a very good father, he somehow manages to turn around decades of bad blood and win his son over because "I'm your father Goddammit!" What could have been quite a touching bonding moment between two men instead became a skin crawling mess.

A real problem I have with films like this, is that if I'm not totally captivated by what I'm seeing, I become bothered with everything else. And this film did not captivate. Take the villains for instance. Not a single interesting attribute for any of them, except for the assembly line they seemed to be operating on. Twist after twist after needless twist, and nothing as memorable as the single villain formula and muscly henchmen of the previous films. Even Timothy Oliphant had a funny retort in 4.0:

John McClane: [covering the webcam] You think you can, uh, find a track where he is?
Thomas Gabriel: Detective, covering the camera with your hand does not turn off the microphone.

How about decontaminating a room full of 27 year old, incredibly deadly radiation with a blow torch? I have no idea if that's believable or not, it might actually be genuinely plausible, but to be told by Yuliya Snigir:

"This will remove the radiation, believe me."

No, fuck you, I don't believe anything you tell me. I don't even know who you are anymore.

Perhaps the biggest problem of all with this film is with John McClane himself. He's not John McClane. He's an old, out of shape Bruce Willis who at the age of 57 is now somehow at his most invincible. Maybe the radiation has given him powers? Is there a John McClane vs Wolverine spinoff in the works?

Die hard 4 received a lot of flack when it came out 6 years ago, and perhaps a lot of it was quite fair. It did at least make an effort to try and be a Die Hard movie however, with Bruce Willis really bringing John McClane back into action, slightly psychotic moments and all. There's never a moment here where I feel I'm watching the same character, it's just an unimaginative, one dimensional action hero who happens to be played by Bruce Willis.

If I had to pick two things I hate about this film, the first would be that the first trailer made it look rubbish, but the second one convinced me it might turn out ok. The second is that it proves just what a cynical, cold hearted person I am that I can write about things that annoy me so much easier than the things I love.

Damn you John. Damn you.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 18/2/2013 11:15:56 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 94
RE: What I wanna know... - 18/2/2013 11:57:03 PM   
Normal Control

excellent post dude, but is everyone ignoring my original question just to pi$$ me off?

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 95
RE: What I wanna know... - 19/2/2013 12:00:22 AM   
Shifty Bench

I just assumed it is because none of us work for Empire and don't know the answer.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 96
RE: What I wanna know... - 19/2/2013 12:09:32 AM   
Cool Breeze

Saw it tonight.Definetly the weakest of the Die Hard series but found it to be a thoroughly decent actioner all the same.

The action scenes didnt turn out to be as badly shot as i thought they would be given what i heard of the bloody shaky cam rearing its ugly head again like it does too often in action movies these days, but the truck chase through Moscow was pretty exciting stuff and was nowhere near Quantum Of Solace levels of incoherence.The gunship attack on the hotel and the Mclanes escape from it was another highpoint.

The problem is that the script doesnt give Willis any decent quips to dish out.Bruce Willis is great at this kind of thing and some of the highlights of these movies is the insults he usually gives to baddies.Instead he just laughs a lot at them and yells '' Im on vacation! '' at least three times ( Hes not actually on vacation is he? Isnt he here to help his son? ).Jai Courtney looks like a younger clone of Sam Worthington but is decent enough as an action man.

As for the dreaded edits, well this was rated 15 here in Ireland and seemed violent enough to me.Just one use of the F word that i recall which is inexplicably not saved for use during the Yippee Kay yay moment.Maybe the inevetable extended harder cut on blu ray may improve matters.

All in all, i did enjoy the movie but it could and should have been a lot better.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 97
RE: What I wanna know... - 19/2/2013 11:08:02 AM   
jackcarter

did Empire do a feature in the magazine on AGDTDH? - i know there was no cover (a first for DH?) but cant seem to find any articles on it

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 98
RE: A good day to call it a day... - 19/2/2013 1:56:45 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Hey, it turns out the writer of Wolverine wrote a shitty script!

Who knew?

Was he behind it? Ahhh, that explains a lot!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 99
RE: I liked the starting credits - 20/2/2013 8:59:59 PM   
Dr Lenera

I thought it was distinctly average, and easily the worst of the series [though there are really only three Die Hard movies aren't there?], but not as bad as some are saying. The whole thing has obviously been chopped down [the forthcoming director's cut could really help I reckon], the script was mediocre and Willis on distintly weak form. But it's quite fun if you take it on its own, with some great, if often silly, action, though the opening chase is so good the rest of the film suffers. Don't understand complaints about shakycam and incoherent editing:I hate all that and constantly rail against it but didn't think it was overly prevailent in this particular film. In any case,John Moore's a better director than, say, Oliver Megaton or that bastard who ruined Les Misereables anyway!

5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 100
RE: I liked the starting credits - 22/2/2013 12:46:04 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

I thought it was distinctly average, and easily the worst of the series [though there are really only three Die Hard movies aren't there?], but not as bad as some are saying. The whole thing has obviously been chopped down [the forthcoming director's cut could really help I reckon], the script was mediocre and Willis on distintly weak form. But it's quite fun if you take it on its own, with some great, if often silly, action, though the opening chase is so good the rest of the film suffers. Don't understand complaints about shakycam and incoherent editing:I hate all that and constantly rail against it but didn't think it was overly prevailent in this particular film. In any case,John Moore's a better director than, say, Oliver Megaton or that bastard who ruined Les Misereables anyway!

5/10

Really you didn't like Les Miserables? Surely you joke about Hooper being worse than Moore?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 101
RE: I liked the starting credits - 22/2/2013 3:31:23 PM   
bennyboy1971

Still waiting for them to release my favourite one on 3D blu: Liv Tyler and Die Hard

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 102
RE: I liked the starting credits - 22/2/2013 6:51:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

5/10

Really you didn't like Les Miserables? Surely you joke about Hooper being worse than Moore?

No joke mate. I hated the direction of that film. Quite frankly, a monkey could have done a better job. Close-up [in the wrong lens] followed by shakycam, followed by another close-up [with the camera unable to keep still], etc. Apart from the incoherent battle scenes we hardly ever saw more than two people in one shot. I love the stage show but the film was horrid. Though this is the Die Hard thread and my blood is boiling from even thinking what Hooper did to Les Miserebles, so I'll shut up about it, but I did do a review/rant on the Les Miserables thread!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 103
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 24/2/2013 2:40:21 AM   
spamandham

I'm gettin' too old for this shit.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 104
RE: - 25/2/2013 10:17:05 PM   
moviebuff73

very disapointed with "a good day to die hard" like many other franchises (lethal weapon, beverly hills cop to name two) it's become very different from the original. in the movie john mcclane crashes two vehicles & gets run over but doesn't have a scratch on him. it's like they thought we have a small plot idea so let's get mcclane to do this, then this & then that, with no real thought of a good story. and what's with all the emotional crap, it's a die hard movie for god's sake not the bloody notebook. the movie that killed the die hard franchise?

< Message edited by moviebuff73 -- 25/2/2013 10:18:03 PM >
Post #: 105
Sukkerz - 27/2/2013 8:33:26 PM   
Normal Control

Did ANYONE go into this expecting it to be good? And if you were expecting it to be shit, why give the Hollywood/Moroniplex fuckers more of your time and money?

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 106
RE: YOU LOT ARE SAD FACT!!! - 3/3/2013 12:13:09 AM   
Normal Control

who the fuck are you, Rafa Benitez?

Post #: 107
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 12:43:59 AM   
kumar

Fuck me... I really wanted to like this film. For what its worth, John McClane was spot on and i thought it was surprising to hear the bad language back. It had some awesome actiony moments but most of the film was fucking terrible. Such a shame to end on this shitty note.

On a side note, Sheffield Odeon, screen 6, what is this? A cinema for ants?!

Edit: ok not spot on, on reflection, but quip wise yes.

< Message edited by kumar -- 3/3/2013 1:20:46 AM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 108
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 6:32:17 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

I love action movies, especially the Die Hard movies. This was not quite as great as the others, but I did get a kick out of it.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 109
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 6:47:12 PM   
Whistler

Jai Courtney's comments at the London premiere are hilarous:

"It offers everything that we've come to expect from this sort of franchise."

"People won't be disappointed, that's for sure."

"The care chase is gonna have people on the edge of their seats."

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 110
RE: YOU LOT ARE SAD FACT!!! - 3/3/2013 6:48:27 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbm76

Die Hard 5 was never going to be a classic (neither were 2,3&4). But when we are stuck in the middle of award season where most of the films (not all) are made by pretensious tossers and suicidely boring (lincoln anyone) its good to see a far fetched action flick to have a bit of fun. I found it to be far better than parts 2&4 with good humour as always. As for bruce not looking interested its just the character showing that this has happened to many times before and he is bored of it allwhich was making my sides split. What amazes me is you people have made up your mind before you go to see it that you wont like it but you still go. Most be nice to have money to burn. May i recommed to you sad bunch of wanna be film crittics that if you dont want to see a film and have already made up your mind that your going to slag it off then please stop watching these kind of films and just watch 'The Artist' over and over again.

Also, most hilarious post I've ever read.
Post #: 111
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 6:58:57 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Let's be honest here, at least he's more enthusiastic about it than Bruce.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 112
RE: What I wanna know... - 3/3/2013 7:23:35 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Let's be honest here, at least he's more enthusiastic about it than Bruce.

That's true, but I think his enthusiasm comes more from being excited by the fact that he scored a role in a Die Hard movie rather than actually thinking the movie's good. Bruce is so unenthusiastic because this is his fifth outing and he knows how far it's fallen.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 113
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A Good Day To Die Hard Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI